Ask MTF Mods - Page 36 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #526
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ask MTF Mods

if by moderating on posts you mean arbitrarly choosing which posts gets deleted without fines been given and which are deleted with fines given out (providing both contain rules infringements) that's the same as favoring some users over others cause if a user is not given a fine matching his infractions inevitably another used is damaged.
it's like saying that not punishing a bank robber for his crime won't damage other people cause it's a decision only concerning said perpetrator rather than the entire community.

Last edited by motorhead : 10-23-2013 at 04:25 PM.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #527
country flag Sonja1989
A happy person

Sonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
if by moderating on posts you mean arbitrarly choosing which posts gets deleted without fines been given and which are deleted with fines given out (providing both contains rules infringements) that's the same as favoring some users over others cause if a user is not given a fine matching his infractions inevitably another used is damaged.
it's like saying that not punishing a bank robber for is crime won't damage other people cause it's a decision only concerning said perpetrator rather than the entire community.
It's not that and you completely understand nothing if you keep saying that nonsense. If I say there are a huge difference on two posts (one of them got infraction, another one was deleted only) believe me they aren't on the same level and it's NOT DEPENDING on that who posted them.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #528
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonja1989 View Post
It's not that and you completely understand nothing if you keep saying that nonsense. If I say there are a huge difference on two posts (one of them got infraction, another one was deleted only) believe me they aren't on the same level and it's NOT DEPENDING on that who posted them.
I am talking about posts made by the same person, ALL containing rules infringements, ONLY SOME getting an infraction.

I find it baffling that you keep on hitting on the comprehension missunderstanding from me while your posts contain at least 2-3 errors in every sentence.

The premise here, since my very first posts, is that said deleted by me and other people in here got deleted didn't break any rules when you replied that in fact those posts had rules infringements content

Last edited by motorhead : 10-23-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #529
country flag Sonja1989
A happy person

Sonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am talking about posts made by the same person, ALL containing rules infringements, ONLY SOME getting an infraction.
Look.. no matter what I say, you will keep saying what you decided and I have other things to do too.
My last words are that I said, even if something breaks rules, not sure they are on the same level. But if you didn't understand it so far, I don't waste my time to continue it.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #530
country flag Motoflou
Barkeep

Motoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
that's exactly what I'm criticizing, if not every rules break is given an infraction it means mods can arbitrarily decide which posts get a red and which not (providing both are against the rules).
So you want us to dish out more infractions in general? I'm confused.

Here's how I look at it-

Some posts are bad, and probably breaking a rule to a minor extent, but they aren't HORRIBLE. Maybe they'll lead to arguing, and they include a bit of a player attack or something. It would be too much to infract users for EVERY slight fault. These posts are more likely to just be deleted, rather than a harsh punishment. However, if it were to go on and on from the same user, then perhaps something more would have to be done.

Then sometimes, a post is blatantly breaking rules, maybe even vulgarity or whatever, and posted only with the intent of trolling. These deserve a warning/infraction.

It's the difference between giving someone an infraction for posting a picture of the side of a baby's bottom, or posting full frontal adult nudity? One is obviously worse than the other, generally speaking.

I feel like you're really asking us to be more strict, and that is quite confusing. We don't get paid to do this. Everyone is doing things the best they can.

The majority of MTF users get by without ever getting a warning or infraction, to be fair.

Last edited by Motoflou : 10-23-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Motoflou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #531
country flag Sonja1989
A happy person

Quote:

I find it baffling that you keep on hitting on the comprehension missunderstanding from me while your posts containt at least 2-3 errors in every sentence.
Stop criticize my english as long as you can't type correctly!!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #532
country flag motorhead
Banned!

Quote:
Stop criticize my english as long as you can't type correctly!!
Then stop replying that I don't understand when your english is very poor.

Last edited by motorhead : 10-23-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #533
country flag motorhead
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoflou View Post
So you want us to dish out more infractions in general?
absolutely not, please read again the previous posts.
if something is not clear try to ask a more specifc question on a sentence written by me not on your conclusions.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #534
country flag Motoflou
Barkeep

Motoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
absolutely not, please read again the previous posts if you something is not clear and try to ask a more specifc question on a sentence written by me not on your conslusions.
And that's all you took from my post.

I get the impression that you just want to argue.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #535
country flag motorhead
Banned!

Quote:
Look.. no matter what I say, you will keep saying what you decided and I have other things to do too.
My last words are that I said, even if something breaks rules, not sure they are on the same level. But if you didn't understand it so far, I don't waste my time to continue it.
I find it puzzling that someone with your comprehensions skills gets to decide on a user stay in this forum.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #536
country flag motorhead
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoflou View Post
And that's all you took from my post.

I get the impression that you just want to argue.
I see, posting questions in here equals to arguing, that's very convenient isn't it?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #537
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For the sake of precision to infract doesn't mean to fine/to give an infraction, it's quite the opposite.
You can have a look here http://www.thefreedictionary.com/infract
This was what I was trying to clarify.
This is not Sonja's terminology, but it is MTF's.
In the rules on MTF, the term 'infract' means a red card. And it is not used in it's literal definition. I was confused about this too, and clarified it a while back on this very thread(with Snowwy, iirc).

Regarding your main point, you are absolutely right. Since the mods decide whether to delete or infract(in the MTF sense) a post that breaks the rules, the decision will be subjective and thus, there is (tremendous) scope for bias. But, it is the same in football. The referee decides whether the violation deserves a free kick, a yellow or a red. There too there is scope for the referee's bias to come into play, just like a chair umpire/linesman's bias can come into play in a tennis match. The mods claim that they try their best to not let this bias play a role. Whether or not that is true is for us to decide(I, for one, do believe it is to a reasonable extent). If you(or anyone else) thinks it isn't, well, I don't know what can be done about it. Maybe that's what we need to find out.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #538
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
if by moderating on posts you mean arbitrarly choosing which posts gets deleted without fines been given and which are deleted with fines given out (providing both contain rules infringements) that's the same as favoring some users over others cause if a user is not given a fine matching his infractions inevitably another used is damaged.
it's like saying that not punishing a bank robber for his crime won't damage other people cause it's a decision only concerning said perpetrator rather than the entire community.
Not sure what exactly do you want here. Of course that a mod must choose whether a post should be deleted or deleted and given a card, otherwise a script could moderate the forum. The football example Litotes gave is a very good one or as that saying goes, context is king. One thing is for sure, there are no "protected" posters.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #539
country flag Sonja1989
A happy person

Motorhead, if none of us understand what you want here, maybe the problem isn't with us.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #540
country flag Motoflou
Barkeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
Since the mods decide whether to delete or infract(in the MTF sense) a post that breaks the rules, the decision will be subjective and thus, there is (tremendous) scope for bias. But, it is the same in football. The referee decides whether the violation deserves a free kick, a yellow or a red. There too there is scope for the referee's bias to come into play, just like a chair umpire/linesman's bias can come into play in a tennis match. The mods claim that they try their best to not let this bias play a role.
Exactly. And often times, if something extreme and infraction-worthy is posted by a user, the mods will discuss their thoughts on this together. It isn't always easy.

And like Time Violation said, there are no protected users at all. And if there were, it would become obvious (to the other mods) pretty quickly, and it wouldn't be allowed.

Last edited by Motoflou : 10-23-2013 at 04:53 PM.