Ask MTF Mods - Page 26 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #376
country flag ProdigyEng
Banned!

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ask MTF Mods

It just screams as inconsistency to me how my 'Dull Forum' comment was seen as backseat moderating, yet mountaindewslaves "Abel should be banned for this" regardless of what context mods see it as, goes unpunished. The funny thing is I see many posts of MDS breaking the rules, and I have reported them before, and the worst that is done is the post is removed. How is that fair? On numerous occasions he/she has accused Janowicz of being on steroids, and iirc drug allegations without proof are a serious offence, and in fact the infraction I got for drug allegations is the one I accept the most, yet they are constantly making these accusations and getting away scot free?

Listen, I understand moderating is a hard job, and you mods know that I respect all of you, and get a long with most of you on a personal level on/off the forum, but it does get on my nerves a little the fact that things are so inconsistent in terms of certain users getting away with multiple rule violations, whilst others get reported and are banned right away. If moderators want to gain more respect from the forum users there needs to be a display of consistency, I understand it is hard to get, but when I see users getting away with things I have been banned for in the past right away, it is extremely frustrating and I feel like I have been robbed.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #377
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowManyTimes View Post
If I get banned for saying something as simple as 'Dull Forum' even though it was in the sense of a joke, and even though I accept I broke the rules, surely this should apply here as well?
It's mostly about using common sense and judgement for each post. That other comment sounds like a joke in my opinion as well, but it's a judgement call, and none of the moderators saw it as anything but a joke. Posts that just say things like 'dull forum' however, can only be seen as backseat moderating, and all the mods can unanimously agree on that. As you know, if you think a thread is in the wrong area or should be deleted, you can always report it.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #378
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prince View Post
Have you ever seen Mountaindewslave make a joke before?

I haven't, have you?

EDIT: And that's a dangerous game that you're playing. I'm sure everybody could appeal to most infractions they receive and say that the comment which broke the rules was meant as a joke. And I know that you reject that rationale, usually.
Well, at the end of the day a mod/admin needs to decide and we're not computer scripts, so it's not going to be perfect To me at least it doesn't look serious case of backside moderation, moreover the whole thread isn't serious either, and perhaps should've been deleted in the first place. Otoh "Dull forum" usually immediately elicits at least half a dozen angry replies from Nadal fanbase, and it tends to escalate quickly.

As for the doping allegations, I can't speculate right now without seeing the post, but keep reporting it - people who persist with such things usually get banned sooner or later, so even if someone manage to "dodge" on some occasion doesn't mean he/she is protected.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #379
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It just screams as inconsistency to me how my 'Dull Forum' comment was seen as backseat moderating, yet mountaindewslaves "Abel should be banned for this" regardless of what context mods see it as, goes unpunished. The funny thing is I see many posts of MDS breaking the rules, and I have reported them before, and the worst that is done is the post is removed. How is that fair? On numerous occasions he/she has accused Janowicz of being on steroids, and iirc drug allegations without proof are a serious offence, and in fact the infraction I got for drug allegations is the one I accept the most, yet they are constantly making these accusations and getting away scot free?

Listen, I understand moderating is a hard job, and you mods know that I respect all of you, and get a long with most of you on a personal level on/off the forum, but it does get on my nerves a little the fact that things are so inconsistent in terms of certain users getting away with multiple rule violations, whilst others get reported and are banned right away. If moderators want to gain more respect from the forum users there needs to be a display of consistency, I understand it is hard to get, but when I see users getting away with things I have been banned for in the past right away, it is extremely frustrating and I feel like I have been robbed.
I do understand how you feel, this can be a tough area to deal with for both forumers and moderators and consistency is always one of the main goals for moderators in any forum, while trying to be fair towards all members. It's about trying to strike a fine balance between imposing the rules, being fair, giving the benefit of the doubt wherever possible and not being too strict or too lenient with anyone in the process.

The moderators are one group, but they are also a bunch of individuals, with their own levels of judgement. But what you need to know is, whenever someone breaks forum rules they always run the risk of getting a warning/infraction. Sometimes you'll see your posts are just deleted, or you may get a verbal warning. I've deleted some of your posts myself in fact, where you've toed the line, but gave you the benefit of the doubt. Continuing to do this overtime will most likely result in action that goes beyond just deleting your posts. So those you think haven't been rightfully banned are not being given special treatment at all, if they continue to behave that way, they will likely be infracted.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #380
country flag Ivelina_P

Ivelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
No, I'd say that doesn't qualify, sounds like a joke to me; however those who try to bait people or derail a thread posting 'this forum that forum', feel free to report
To me about 80% of the posts that receive infractions/bans sound like a joke.

This is a prime example of double standards and subjectivity.

Washington = unofficial 5th Slam
http://ivelinacp.tumblr.com/image/55430905367
Mark Lenders = Gospel of Objective Unbiased Analysis
Topspindoctor = Pillar of MTF
Abel = GOAT
Ivelina_P is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #381
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It just screams as inconsistency to me how my 'Dull Forum' comment was seen as backseat moderating, yet mountaindewslaves "Abel should be banned for this" regardless of what context mods see it as, goes unpunished. The funny thing is I see many posts of MDS breaking the rules, and I have reported them before, and the worst that is done is the post is removed. How is that fair? [...]

Oh my! Posts are obviously taken in their context. "Abel should be banned for this" was a joke made in a joke thread. Very few, if any, posts in that thread were serious. On the other hand, making a "X forum" post in a serious thread serves only to derail that thread or bait player X's fans. I don't know in which thread you wrote "Dull forum", but a quick search on your posts shows a couple of instances of posts such as "Nose forum" in the past month. I don't recall you getting banned for those. So, stop pretending that you aren't one of the "certain users getting away with multiple rule violations".

If every rule violation was given a direct ban there would be an uproar on MTF.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #382
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivelina_P View Post

Yea, and to someone else 100% of everything is a joke. But you're not a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
Oh my! Posts are obviously taken in their context. "Abel should be banned for this" was a joke made in a joke thread. Very few, if any, posts in that thread were serious. On the other hand, making a "X forum" post in a serious thread serves only to derail that thread or bait player X's fans. I don't know in which thread you wrote "Dull forum", but a quick search on your posts shows a couple of instances of posts such as "Nose forum" in the past month. I don't recall you getting banned for those. So, stop pretending that you aren't one of the "certain users getting away with multiple rule violations".

Yup, this, couldn't agree more
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”

Last edited by Time Violation : 08-02-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #383
country flag ProdigyEng
Banned!

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prince View Post
Have you ever seen Mountaindewslave make a joke before?

I haven't, have you?

EDIT: And that's a dangerous game that you're playing. I'm sure everybody could appeal to most infractions they receive and say that the comment which broke the rules was meant as a joke. And I know that you reject that rationale, usually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post

Did I deny that fact?

No. But I still have been banned for things whilst other users have gotten away with blatant more serious rule violations.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #384
Slacker

Quote:
Did I deny that fact?

No. But I still have been banned for things whilst other users have gotten away with blatant more serious rule violations.
Well, you sometimes got away as well; the system is not perfect, and besides, if nobody ever got away, half of the board would've been banned by now. Or half of GM at least
Old 08-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #385
country flag Sonja1989
A happy person

Sonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Hah. It's on internet forum when you can't express jokes like you would in person. There are people who don't find it funny, we neither.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #386
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Quote:

Quote:
Did I deny that fact?

It's usually not about isolated incidences, unless it's something very serious like wishing death or discriminatory remarks. If I look through all the forumers who have received infractions in the past it's very rare to find one who received an infraction/ban for just that one post- they tend to repeatedly offend, and have been given the benefit of the doubt several times previously. Often to the point where people report their posts asking why they're being allowed to continue to behave that way.

Last edited by Sham Kay : 08-02-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #387
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

the problem is, you cant hear to other person Ton or see him so u never know if its a joke or not.
obly if u really really know the other person u can know if its a joke or not online.

most od us dont know each other that good
jew a few ppl know the other in that level that they will know 100% its a joke.
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #388
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to know when something player related is allowed to stay on GM and when it gets moved to the player's forum.

As many users usually complain about those stuff being posted on GM users hesitate to post it on there and keep it in the player's forum instead.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #389
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

GM is everything Tennis related, so I would say that includes Tennis players' news/discussions that are related to Tennis.

Everything else player related, like their hairstyles and family or any news/gossip unrelated to tennis belongs either in off-topic or preferably their respective player forums.

Of course, there's far more freedom to discuss anything Tennis related or not in the player forums.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #390
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
I would like to know when something player related is allowed to stay on GM and when it gets moved to the player's forum.

As many users usually complain about those stuff being posted on GM users hesitate to post it on there and keep it in the player's forum instead.
Well, there's no easy answer for all cases. For example, Fed withdrew from Montreal should definitely stay in GM, however if Fed has new shoes or shirt or that he met with somebody may or may not stay, depends how the discussion is going I would say

In any case, posting something on GM that might eventually get moved is not a violation of the rules, so nobody should hesitate, it's not something bad for sure.