The reality is that del Potro is easily the fourth best tennis player in the world - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is del Potro the fifth best tennis player on planet Earth at the moment?

Yes, easily 81 29.14%
It's between him and Berdych/Tsonga or both 59 21.22%
No, Ferrer is 110 39.57%
He's one of the best four 28 10.07%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #61
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality is that del Potro is easily the fifth best tennis player in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Why does performances against the 'big four' always have to be used as a barometer of a player's ability? It's just as important to consistently negotiate the early round hazards in evenys, which Ferrer is far more reliable at. Tennis is about more than just four people. The evaluation of 'who is better' should encompass every match each plays, at every tournament. Clearly, based on the rankings, Ferrer is a far superior player to Del Potro, at this moment.
Ferrer's higher seeding gives him easier draws- he will get more scrubs while Del Potro has to face tougher paths early on.

Indeed, Ferrer's only strong win so far this year is over Haas I'd say.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #62
country flag Mechlan

Mechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality is that del Potro is easily the fifth best tennis player in the world

This is like saying Federer is the best player in the world because his achievements eclipse Djokovic's. Sure, that's true, doesn't make Federer the better player right now.

There is a reason there is a ranking system. It measures how you are against the entire field. It doesn't cherry pick results. It doesn't award more points based on anything qualitative or opinionated. It's just simple fact. Very simple stuff really, funny when people don't get it.
Mechlan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #63
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Ferrer's higher seeding gives him easier draws- he will get more scrubs while Del Potro has to face tougher paths early on.

It's not like he was randomly given his ranking. He earned it. The fact that Del Potro is unable to get as high in the rankings is his problem. And no, it's not about the vulturing, as the other thread perfectly showed that Delpo is a bigger vulture of the two.

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #64
country flag Hypnotize

Hypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
Federer went on record saying Delpo would have been #1 in 2010 had he not been injured. The most he's ever said about Ferrer is that he has the best return in the world (a few years ago I think). I believe that shows how highly the big 4 think of Delpo.
No it doesn't That was Federer's opinion but since when does he speak for Novak, Nadal and Murray?
Hypnotize is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #65
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Not really. This year, Ferrer's only advantage over Del Potro, seeding-wise, has been from the fourth round onwards, which is not really 'scrub' territory anyway. In round one to three, they are just as likely as eachother to draw the same 'scrub', which is illustrates my point. Ferrer, still manages to get past the early rounds in almost every event he plays. In contrast, Del Potro's pass rate is quite a lot lower. Expect this point of mine to be profoundly demonstrated during the clay season as well.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #66
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal View Post
It's not like he was randomly given his ranking. He earned it. The fact that Del Potro is unable to get as high in the rankings is his problem. And no, it's not about the vulturing, as the other thread perfectly showed that Delpo is a bigger vulture of the two.
When Murray was top 4 without a slam and Del Potro was below it everyone sticking up for Ferrer here, insisted Del Potro WAS part of the real four and better than Murray at the time. So there's a lot of hypocrisy being bandied around here.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #67
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When Murray was top 4 without a slam and Del Potro was below it everyone sticking up for Ferrer here, insisted Del Potro WAS part of the real four and better than Murray at the time. So there's a lot of hypocrisy being bandied around here.
Well then same goes for you, as I believe you were protecting Murray in that case.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #68
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal View Post
Well then same goes for you, as I believe you were protecting Murray in that case.
The rankings are pretty accurate aside from Nadal, all I'm saying is so far I think Del Potro's been more impressive than Ferrer so far this year. We'll see what happens in Madrid/Rome anyway.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #69
country flag nazzac

nazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond repute

Ferrer is more the more consistent player

Del Potro has the higher peak level

Del Potro-Nishikori-Brands-Paire-Wawrinka-Sampras-Llodra-Safin-Falla
nazzac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #70
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

This would have been more credible if it had been written about Berdych, in my opinion.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #71
♤23♤

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Not really. This year, Ferrer's only advantage over Del Potro, seeding-wise, has been from the fourth round onwards, which is not really 'scrub' territory anyway. In round one to three, they are just as likely as eachother to draw the same 'scrub', which is illustrates my point. Ferrer, still manages to get past the early rounds in almost every event he plays. In contrast, Del Potro's pass rate is quite a lot lower. Expect this point of mine to be profoundly demonstrated during the clay season as well.
Exactly.
And also, although it's true Ferrer is not playing as good as last year, his season so far easily exceeds Del Potro's. 2 titles, an AMS and a 500 final and a slam semi vs. Delpo's 1 500 title and 1 AMS final. No contest.
Also, the only non top 4 players Ferrer lost to are Anderson and Davydenko, which is no shame at all. While Del Potro lost to Chardy, Kamke and Nieminen. The last time Ferrer lost in a slam to a player ranked as low as Chardy was when he himself was outside the top 10.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #72
♤23♤

Quote:
The rankings are pretty accurate aside from Nadal, all I'm saying is so far I think Del Potro's been more impressive than Ferrer so far this year. We'll see what happens in Madrid/Rome anyway.
Then have a look at my post above.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #73
country flag TennisPhan1

TennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
How about voting honestly? This is the real issue here: people who vote Ferrer either follow the rankigns blindly or just do it as a wind-up. Any unbiased observer can easily conclude that there are only four people in the world whose ability to play tennis exceeds Del Potro at this point in time and none of them has wings.
Honestly Ferrer is better. Get over your silly obsession with DP. He will be 5th best when he proves it. He has better results against the big 3 than Ferrer, but so does Benneteau. Does that make Ben better than Ferrer too?

Forget your hatred for Ferrer's style. DP is not better than him until he proves it by taking the #5 spot or at least win against Ferrer again.
TennisPhan1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #74
country flag vpmrosulate

vpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know. I hate saying everyone has a different opinion, but this is really just based on whatever opinion of "best" people happen to hold. For me, I find del Potro's style more attractive/likable, but I'm more jealous of Ferrer's, and I have no idea where "best" fits into that. I also feel like as a result of a priori preferences, people are basically making the same arguments about the two over and over again.

But if "best" is just "more likely to do real damage in a slam" (distinct from just making a deep run), then I agree, #5 seems about right.

del Potro/Nalbandian/Safin
Gulbis/Monfils/Dolgopolov/Tursunov/Giorgi
Davydenko/Janowicz/Verdasco/Lopez
Soderling/Cilic/Blake

Last edited by vpmrosulate : 04-22-2013 at 10:16 PM.
vpmrosulate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #75
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality is than del Potro is the fifth best tennis player in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew2408 View Post
Rest Of Top 8's Record In Slams And Masters Over Last 12 Months-

2012 French Open-
Ferrer Semi Final
Berdych Round of 16
Del Potro Quarter Final
Tsonga Quarter Final

2012 Wimbledon-
Ferrer Quarter Final
Berdych Round 1
Del Potro Round of 16
Tsonga Semi Final

2012 US Open-
Ferrer Semi Final
Berdych Semi Final
Del Potro Quarter Final
Tsonga Round 2

2013 Aussie Open-
Ferrer Semi Final
Berdych Quarter Final
Del Potro Round of 32
Tsonga Quarter Final

2012 Madrid Masters-
Ferrer Quarter Final
Berdych Finalist
Del Potro Semi Final
Tsonga Round of 16

2012 Rome Masters-
Ferrer Semi Final
Berdych Quarter Final
Del Potro Round of 16
Tsonga Quarter Final

2012 Canada Masters-
Ferrer DNP
Berdych Round of 16
Del Potro Round 2
Tsonga Round 2

2012 Cincinnati Masters-
Ferrer Round 2
Berdych Round of 16
Del Potro Semi Final
Tsonga DNP

2012 Shanghai Masters-
Ferrer DNP
Berdych Semi Final
Del Potro DNP
Tsonga Quarter Final

2012 Paris Masters-
Ferrer- Champion
Berdych Quarter Final
Del Potro Round of 16
Tsonga Quarter Final

2012 Tour Finals-
Ferrer 3rd Place Group
Berdych 3rd Place Group
Del Potro Semi Finals
Tsonga 4th Place Group

2013 Indian Wells-
Ferrer Round 2
Berdych Semi FInals
Del Potro Finalist
Tsonga Quarter Final

2013 Miami Masters-
Ferrer Finalist
Berdych Quarter Final
Del Potro Round 2
Tsonga Round of 16

2013 Monte Carlo-
Ferrer DNP
Berdych Round of 16
Del Potro Round of 16
Tsonga Semi Finals

Amount of Times Performed The Best of Ferrer, Berdych, Del Potro and Tsonga-
Ferrer 6
Berdych 4
Del Potro 3
Tsonga 2

To be the 5th best player in the world you must be the most consistent over the year and this proves that your point of Ferrer only being in the top 5 because of "Vulturing" is entirely wrong. As over the last year Ferrer has performed the best when it really mattered.
Talk about systematically breaking an argument. Kudos to you, sir.

"Thank you very much for letting me win"
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote