The reality is that del Potro is easily the fourth best tennis player in the world - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is del Potro the fifth best tennis player on planet Earth at the moment?

Yes, easily 81 29.14%
It's between him and Berdych/Tsonga or both 59 21.22%
No, Ferrer is 110 39.57%
He's one of the best four 28 10.07%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #46
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality is that del Potro is easily the fifth best tennis player in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
Federer went on record saying Delpo would have been #1 in 2010 had he not been injured. The most he's ever said about Ferrer is that he has the best return in the world (a few years ago I think). I believe that shows how highly the big 4 think of Delpo.
Pretty much every one of the top players have given tremendous praised to Del Potro, not just the top 4. Djokovic claimed that facing Del Potro was like one of the top 4 from a mental point of view before their RG 2011 match, while Tsonga said Del Potro was on a higher level than him despite being ranked lower prior to their match in Marseille last year and that he'd have been top 3 if he had remained healthy.

Suicide Tennis - Wimbledon 2014
Fill-In-The-Draw - US Open 2014
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #47
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality is that del Potro is easily the fifth best tennis player in the world

the problem is that too many guys have expected so much from DP and he hasn't delivered. yes DP is capable of beating Nole, Fed and Rafa here and there but he hasn't won anything 'big' for a long time and he is too inconsistent.

Ferrer is an overachiever but good for him. Pics will never win a major but he 'works hard for his money'
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #48
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Federer went on record saying Delpo would have been #1 in 2010 had he not been injured. The most he's ever said about Ferrer is that he has the best return in the world (a few years ago I think). I believe that shows how highly the big 4 think of Delpo.
so?lol who cares what he said......point being is that Ferrer is a better player than Delpo.......less of a threat to top 4 but a better player overall
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #49
country flag HumbleTennisFan

HumbleTennisFan has a reputation beyond reputeHumbleTennisFan has a reputation beyond reputeHumbleTennisFan has a reputation beyond reputeHumbleTennisFan has a reputation beyond reputeHumbleTennisFan has a reputation beyond reputeHumbleTennisFan has a reputation beyond reputeHumbleTennisFan has a reputation beyond reputeHumbleTennisFan has a reputation beyond reputeHumbleTennisFan has a reputation beyond reputeHumbleTennisFan has a reputation beyond reputeHumbleTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
so?lol who cares what he said......point being is that Ferrer is a better player than Delpo.......less of a threat to top 4 but a better player overall
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

How things really are outside of ATP top players
HumbleTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #50
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
If you mean atm, then I honestly think he's the 3rd behind Djokovic and Nadal. And I'm not trolling. Murray is in a minor slump. He did win Miami, but didn't play anything special and got destroyed by Wawa in MC, plus Delpo beat him just few weeks ago. Ferrer is injured, he's out of the discussion. Federer hasn't shown anything this year. Only thing worth mentioning is his win over Tsonga in AO, but even there he wasn't that great. Of course, I expect Fed to pick up and play better rather soon, but ATM, judging by their performances after AO, Delpo is the 3rd best player in my eyes and the 3rd favorite for Madrid (as the next big tournament) and RG (as the next Slam). Doesn't mean that all won't change as soon as after Madrid or Rome, tho.

P.S. Before some Murray fan starts nagging me, I also took into consideration that we are now in the clay court season, hence Delpo gets little bonus points.

P.S.S. Him being the 3rd best player atm, doesn't mean he should be ranked #3.
Good post

Last year Ferrer was the 5th best player in the world (or 4th if you consider Nadal missed 5 months) but this year he looked unimpressive.

But I expect Federer's level to raise at some point, he didn't play well at all after the AO but he will come back strong after this mini-break.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #51
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Ferrer is not a better player than Delpo and to say so is ridiculous. Delpo is a major champion and a WTF finalist. Of course he hasn't done much since 2009 - he was off all of 2010 and then 2011 was his comeback year and he still did very well. 2012 was a very solid year with the AO, FO, and USO QF and beating Djokovic once and Federer twice.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #52
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ferrer is not a better player than Delpo and to say so is ridiculous. Delpo is a major champion and a WTF finalist. Of course he hasn't done much since 2009 - he was off all of 2010 and then 2011 was his comeback year and he still did very well. 2012 was a very solid year with the AO, FO, and USO QF and beating Djokovic once and Federer twice.
so Djokovic has 4 Cincy finals too doesnt that count?Ferrer owns Delpo cant get any easier for you to understand than that.......Ferrer wins 9/10 against Delpo.........and Ferrer also has WTF in 2007 I think.......not that finals matter at all.........
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #53
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

I never brought up Cincinnati.....

Ferrer is a bad matchup for Delpo, doesn't mean he's a better player.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #54
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If. If. If.

Always an excuse for Del Potro and his failures.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #55
country flag Fed fordawin

Fed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond repute

Lenders was boring a few months ago with his vulturing nonesense. Now he's exhausting.

Alchimists transform iron into gold. Boriiiiiing!
Movie-makers transform dreams into reality. Yeah, whatever...
El Tio transforms Dull into a multiple GS champion! Daaaaamn!

El Tio has the keys to weather, court speed, draw making, umpires' decisions and perception of time between points, top players' fatherhood, and my libido!

This signature is in no way ironic. Please don't ever let El Tio think that, for my sake!
Fed fordawin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #56
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Lenders

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #57
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Lenders losing the plot completely.
Good to see, good to see.

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #58
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

I don't rate Ferrer as lowly as Lenders does but Del Potro's run in IW easily eclipses anything Ferrer's done this year for me. We'll see what happens in Madrid and Rome but Del Potro despite the upset in MC is more of a threat to the top 4. Aside from v Murray on a clay court, Ferrer isn't.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #59
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
I don't rate Ferrer as lowly as Lenders does but Del Potro's run in IW easily eclipses anything Ferrer's done this year for me. We'll see what happens in Madrid and Rome but Del Potro despite the upset in MC is more of a threat to the top 4. Aside from v Murray on a clay court, Ferrer isn't.
Why do performances against the 'big four' always have to be used as a barometer of a player's ability? It's just as important to consistently negotiate the early round hazards in events, which Ferrer is far more reliable at. Tennis is about more than just four people. The evaluation of 'who is better' should encompass every match each plays, at every tournament. Clearly, based on the rankings, Ferrer is a far superior player to Del Potro, at this moment.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #60
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
There's the key words.

'For you' isn't worth SHIT.
There are rock-solid results and numbers that prove Ferrer is the better player, and by an enormous margin. No amount of text rows filled with stupidity that are written by a tard like Lenders (with unyielding consistency, I might add) will take it away, and if you can't deal with it:

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote