The reality is that del Potro is easily the fourth best tennis player in the world - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is del Potro the fifth best tennis player on planet Earth at the moment?

Yes, easily 81 29.14%
It's between him and Berdych/Tsonga or both 59 21.22%
No, Ferrer is 110 39.57%
He's one of the best four 28 10.07%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #166
country flag Javi

Javi has a reputation beyond reputeJavi has a reputation beyond reputeJavi has a reputation beyond reputeJavi has a reputation beyond reputeJavi has a reputation beyond reputeJavi has a reputation beyond reputeJavi has a reputation beyond reputeJavi has a reputation beyond reputeJavi has a reputation beyond reputeJavi has a reputation beyond reputeJavi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality is that del Potro is easily the fifth best tennis player in the world

Lenders again tries too much.
But he fails once again.
MTF has spoken: Ferrer 56,41%. NEXT
Javi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #167
country flag retister

retister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality is that del Potro is easily the fifth best tennis player in the world

So, if you have finished proving what everyone knows already (i.e. that Delpo is a bigger threat to the top 4 and that David is a MUCH bigger threat to the rest of the tour), how exactly does it prove that he is easily the better player?
Comes down to a matter of preference that cannot be proven either way with numbers.
Right now, Delpo's ability to beat 1 or 2 of the top guys in a slam means exactly jack squat cause he would most likely need to beat 3 of them to actually take the title.
If I were forced to bet on my life on one of them to win a particular slam, I would probably go with Ferrer.
retister is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #168
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by retister View Post
So, if you have finished proving what everyone knows already (i.e. that Delpo is a bigger threat to the top 4 and that David is a MUCH bigger threat to the rest of the tour), how exactly does it prove that he is easily the better player?
Comes down to a matter of preference that cannot be proven either way with numbers.
Right now, Delpo's ability to beat 1 or 2 of the top guys in a slam means exactly jack squat cause he would most likely need to beat 3 of them to actually take the title.
If I were forced to bet on my life on one of them to win a particular slam, I would probably go with Ferrer.
You should value your life a bit more, man. Low self esteem is not good.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #169
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

Del Potro can barely keep consistent in a Masters tournament, which is one week in length and has best out of three set matches. Unless a miracle happens, I can not see Del Potro causing much harm at a Grand Slam, which is two week's in length and has best out of five set matches.

"Thank you very much for letting me win"
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #170
country flag Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
I do agree. I am so disappointed with Delpo because back in 2010 I though he would actually be a regular top4 (or top5 then) player and that he will be fighting with Murray for the #4 spot all the time. To me, he was always the best out of the 2nd 4. I'm just trying to be objective here and let the results speak for themselves.
And I guarantee you that most of these posters who are defending Ferrer had similar thoughts back then.
You are completely missing the point or maybe just unable to find suitable arguments. Ferrer is not the better player if we consider their respective careers. He also doesn't have more potential of winning a slam in the future. But he is the better player right now. He is more consistent, has more match wins and better results in mandatory tournaments. If Del Potro were to win another major or even make another final, this discussion would change completely. But as it stands, Ferrer is absolutely maximising his potential, while Del Potro isn't (the reason is irrelevant). To get a higher ranking you need to have outperformed those ranked ahead of you in the last twelve months. It's the same for everyone, not just Del Potro. The concept is easy. All the potential in the world doesn't matter if you are unable to turn it into results. Winning a slam at one point in his career doesn't justify him being ranked ahead of players who never managed to win one until the end of time. Otherwise I could make a case for Lleyton Hewitt as well. What anyone thought in 2009/2010 has nothing to do with the discussion at hand either.

Last edited by Cereal Killer : 04-23-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Cereal Killer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #171
country flag retister

retister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
You should value your life a bit more, man. Low self esteem is not good.
I'd still sleep easier with choosing a guy who I know will reach quarterfinals and then hoping he would get a lucky break in remaining rounds, than relying on an injured guy to overcome all the tricky obstacles from the round 1 and then still has enough in his tank to slay the dragons...
Old 04-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #172
country flag Kite Flyer
Banned!

Kite Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeKite Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeKite Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeKite Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeKite Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeKite Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeKite Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeKite Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeKite Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeKite Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeKite Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

his Wta fitness level says hi
Kite Flyer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #173
country flag New Balls Please

New Balls Please has a reputation beyond reputeNew Balls Please has a reputation beyond reputeNew Balls Please has a reputation beyond reputeNew Balls Please has a reputation beyond reputeNew Balls Please has a reputation beyond reputeNew Balls Please has a reputation beyond reputeNew Balls Please has a reputation beyond reputeNew Balls Please has a reputation beyond reputeNew Balls Please has a reputation beyond reputeNew Balls Please has a reputation beyond reputeNew Balls Please has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Balls Please View Post
Why is it that the third option is the only option containing strong emotive language by using the word 'blindly'? By choosing this option, members will be agreeing with the OP that they are ignorant or irrational in thinking that Ferrer is the fifth best player at the moment. Is it not possible to rationally consider 'X player' to be the fifth best player at the moment, given that he was ranked fifth for most of the time AND has the best results over the last 52 weeks of any player bar Fed/Rafa/Nole/Andy?

So by voting for Ferrer, members are in a lose-lose situation. They can vote Ferrer and be considered 'blind' or they can vote another option which they may not believe to be the 'reality'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by decrepitude View Post
Exactly why I haven't voted at all. For a supposedly "unbiased analyst" (in his own opinion), Lenders is sure good at biased polls.
Same here. I've also held back from voting in this poll for the reason that I gave earlier.

Federer

Nadal Djokovic

Hewitt Roddick Murray Ferrero (Tard #28) Agassi

Kuerten Ferrer Coria Davydenko Del Potro Safin Nalbandian Ljubicic Wawrinka
New Balls Please is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #174
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
when Novak is about to play Delpo I feel the same as if he is going to play Tsonga or Berdych.........so no
You really haven't wacth their matches if you feel the same away about Berdych (can't even trouble him) and Del Potro.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #175
country flag kidbourbon

kidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality is than del Potro is easily the fifth best tennis player in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
To steal from another poster:

I don't understand how anybody can think DP the 5th best player at the moment.

Points from slams and WTF: Ferrer 2920, DP 1390
Points from Masters: Ferrer 2160, DP 1520
Points from small tournaments: Ferrer 1890, DP 1840

Total points: Ferrer 6970, DP 4750

Del Potro is a vulture.

This thread should be merged. Do your crying in the thread with facts.

Ummm....because he's better at tennis than David Ferrer. Next!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #176
country flag kidbourbon

kidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by retister View Post

Because he's better at tennis. Delpo on his best day is better than Ferrer on his best day, and this is true all day.

Next question.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #177
country flag kidbourbon

Default Re: The reality is than del Potro is easily the fifth best tennis player in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
David Ferrer says hello, along with kicking Del Potro's arse in both race rankings and overall results these days!

And then David Ferrer says goodbye when he plays a top player.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #178
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
You really haven't wacth their matches if you feel the same away about Berdych (can't even trouble him) and Del Potro.
well not berdych but Tsonga,Ferrer,Soderling(when he was fit) ectg
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #179
country flag retister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidbourbon View Post
Ummm....because he's better at tennis than David Ferrer. Next!
No, he is not.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #180
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Lenders must be the most unbearable poster on here. Posting the same nonsensical garbage over and over until the weaker minded posters starts accepting his crap as truth. He trolls and trolls and then whines when people doesn't respect him.

Yes, delpo has a higher peak level than Ferrer. But who gives a shit? So does Berdych, Tsonga etc. If Delpo cannot produce that kind of form more than once every 3 years, it actually means that he is NOT a better tennis player than Ferrer, who almost always lives up to his high ranking. Add to that, Delpo is vulturing small tournaments just as much as Ferrer.

They have different playing styles and different weapons (yes, consistency and stamina are weapons too). But the ranking is neutral, it doesn't take sides. And it says that for the last 52 weeks, Ferrer has gone further in tournaments than Delpo. If Delpo can't overtake him then he's just not good enough, simple as that. And only idiots don't realize that injuries etc are part of the game.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote