Just Starting Tennis... - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
country flag Travod

Travod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just Starting Tennis...

I'm 18 and I've loved watching tennis for a few years now and the local college started offering free lessons so I've been doing them and when I go to college I'm going to play it much more often.

Anyway, what is the norm for people starting out? I think my backhand is sooooooooo much better than my forehand because I can hit the ball cleanly and it just arches over the net, but every time I try a forehand I hit it way out to the left (into the next court) or over the fence. How do I work on that? xD

Also, how should I focus my time? Since I'm better with the backhand should I purposely work on that or ignore it to bring my forehand up to speed?
Raonic wins set 7-6.
Travod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
country flag pferg

pferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Starting Tennis...

If you're backhand is already strong, you should be focusing on your forehand. Eventually, your opponents will quickly identify your weakest shot and exploit it. So you need to have a well rounded game. Sounds like you are on the right track, just keep practicing and you will get there.

You should also join your local tennis ladder to find opponents and to challenge yourself every day!

Join your local tennis ladder for free.
Find new hitting partners.
Challenge yourself to climb the ladder!
pferg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Typically the forehand progresses faster than your backhand, you generally just have more control with your forehand, however, over hitting is definitely a common issue when starting out.

Either way, if I was your instructor, I would not necessarily suggest for you to just concentrate on your forehand in order to bring it up to speed. Considering how new you are, I'm sure you still have a long ways away from getting proper technique and motion with your backhand. Plus, either way the first several months of tennis it is all about feeling the ball since many people don't have the proper feel to always know how the ball will react when it comes into contact with their racket.

If you aren't using a two-handed backhand, I suggest to do so even if you want a one-handed backhand as your end result. Firstly, it is still quite early for you to attempt a one-hander which is arguably more difficult to control since your wrist and forearm are probably not used to such a motion. With the two hands, you can get much better feel and it will totally help you with your one-hander in the future when you switch to one. Second of all, you may enjoy using two hands more. It is definitely the way to go in the modern game and there are many early benefits using a two-hander for a beginner.

Aside from that, just practise as much as you can if you want to progress faster. Doing ANYTHIG with the racket and ball will always only help you. So if you're in dorm just laying around, you can take out the racket and play little games with yourself merely by bouncing a ball on your racket. You can see how many times you can bounce the ball on the racket without dropping it, you can add spin to the ball each time it lands on your racket, etc. The feel of the ball is the most important here at this stage.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
country flag Clintondawson

Clintondawson has a reputation beyond reputeClintondawson has a reputation beyond reputeClintondawson has a reputation beyond reputeClintondawson has a reputation beyond reputeClintondawson has a reputation beyond reputeClintondawson has a reputation beyond reputeClintondawson has a reputation beyond reputeClintondawson has a reputation beyond reputeClintondawson has a reputation beyond reputeClintondawson has a reputation beyond reputeClintondawson has a reputation beyond repute

it is good to know that you started playing Tennis .... now, one thing you can do is go over the Internet and learn some new tips and techniques of Tennis online as lot of Tennis instruction videos are waiting for you ..... you can download them also ... some of the reference websites are: - onlinetennislessons.com, tennisguru.com
Clintondawson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

fuzzyyellowballs.com has ALOT of GREAT stuff.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
country flag Mong Mong

Mong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
fuzzyyellowballs.com has ALOT of GREAT stuff.
Thanks for this link, I'm planning on starting tennis as well!

WTA Royalties
Queen Maria Sharapova 1-2-1-1-S-32 | Princess Petra Kvitova 2- 12
Mong Mong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote