2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #91
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 2 dead, 23 injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
News reports shouldn't be about what people "want" to hear but about what's actually happening.
And who is going to buy a newspaper filled with stuff that the readers don't care to read?
Without saying it directly, you are moving more towards demanding that the media be forced to publish stories that their readers don't care about.
Same thing as saying that supermarkets should not sell what people want to eat, but should fill the shelves with spinach because it is better for them than what they would otherwise choose. I did not put the word want in quotes as you did. That would suggest that I should be able to define what they get because they are not really intelligent enough to know for themselves what they want.
Same thing as saying that every record album put out should have one rock song, one country song, one blues song, one opera aria, one rap song, etc. Because after all, albums shouldn't contain what people "want" to hear, but about what music is actually available.

In conclusion, with almost everything published being instantly available on the Internet, if you have not yet been able to find something that publishes what you want to read, then clearly there is no market for what you want.

Last edited by buddyholly : 04-17-2013 at 03:07 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #92
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured

Quote:
What's the point in following the narrow, shallow focus of the majority of people?
It's the news, not Pop Idol.

Not to say that I can understand that people will have a higher interest in what happens in their local community, but a good journalist, a quality newspaper should make an effort to broaden that horizon.
Why should they? Media organisations are not schools. They are not there to tell people what is best for them to know. They are there to provide information that people are interested in knowing and find useful. That is the product they are selling.

You are acting like the other stuff isn't reported on at all. It is. But there is less time devoted to it because there are less people interested in it. Supply and demand.

You need to stop whinging and start realising that most of society has different interests and different priorities to you. Annoying, I know.

Last edited by Caesar1844 : 04-17-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #93
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured

I posted about Carlos Arredondo earlier in the thread Nd the pic of him holding a mans artery shut so the man didn't bleed out. He had emerged as one of the many heroes here.

Meanwhile, experts are indicating the bomb appears to be the work of a "lone wolf'

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #94
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 2 dead, 23 injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
And who is going to buy a newspaper filled with stuff that the readers don't care to read.
Without saying it directly, you are moving more towards demanding that the media be forced to publish stories that their readers don't care about.
I wish the media weren't so focused on murder and mayhem and basically meaningless things. I wish the media didn't pander to the lowest common denominator. I wish the media would give more in depth analysis and cover a broad range of events. However, my first reaction to the event even on a message board is not to rant at the media for covering that event because not enough people died or were injured.

But then again, I don't choose to get my news from TV. I don't watch TV news except on rare occasions.

Did you read the story about Carlos Arrendondo? I think how gratifying it must be for him to be able to save a young man's life. I am always humbled when I learn of those who are refined by the fires of tragedy in their lives.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #95
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
I posted about Carlos Arredondo earlier in the thread Nd the pic of him holding a mans artery shut so the man didn't bleed out. He had emerged as one of the many heroes here.

Meanwhile, experts are indicating the bomb appears to be the work of a "lone wolf'
Yes. His picture has been all over. I just didn't know that he had lost his two sons. I didn't know about his own sorrow,

You know, I began to expect that this was like the bombing at the Atlanta Olympics. Just somebody didn't get suspicious about the bags.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #96
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post

Did you read the story about Carlos Arrendondo? I think how gratifying it must be for him to be able to save a young man's life. I am always humbled when I learn of those who are refined by the fires of tragedy in their lives.
His Wikipedia page is quite bizarre.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #97
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
I will take a look.

Meanwhile, this New Yorker blog entry about Lu Lingzi was touching.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...-marathon.html
Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #98
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:

Wow. When I spoke of refining fire, I did not realize that it would be literal.

I can't criticize a parent for any reaction to the news of a child's death. Of course I sympathize with him for becoming a activist against the war, but I also have sympathy for those parents who go in the other direction,
Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #99
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Wow. When I spoke of refining fire, I did not realize that it would be literal.
I was not going to mention that reference - let you read it for yourself.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #100
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Two men seen in images near the finish line of Monday's Boston Marathon -- moments before two bombs there exploded -- are of "high interest" and are considered "possible suspects," a law enforcement official said.
A circular sent out Wednesday by authorities indicated the attached photos, showing the two men, were being sent around "in an attempt to identify the individuals."
The official said the men were of interest because of where they were at a particular time and what they were carrying. One of the men is seen carrying a black backpack. The source said that authorities had not yet identified the two men by name and that the photographs were not being released to the public for fear of impeding the investigation.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #101
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would say that all your anger about the coverage of the story (and I do have to say that it is interesting that your outrage focuses solely on the media coverage) is misdirected, it's not the fault of the victims or the United States how your media covers this event.
Did I say so? No, I didn't. Stop glancing over things I write only to fill in the gaps with things that are in your head, not mine.

Did I indicate that those victims in Boston don't deserve media coverage? No, I don't. I indicated more than once that what happened there is horrible. A marathon should be a celebration of life.

And while I'm at it: define "your" media.

What I am saying is that in a week like this, it's odd to see how one drama gets coverage (rightly so) BUT at the same time, human suffering on another place on this planet gets little coverage and is greeted with quite a bit of indifference. It's a study in human nature, I guess.
You seem to think that it's inapropriate to do that in this Boston thread. Fine.

Edit: by the way, I now read on the internet (US sources, by the way...are these "my" media by any chance?) that there's been an explosion in Waco, Texas: 60 to 70 people died according to early reports. (to be clear, from what I've read, this is an accident, not an attack). Which reminds me; this week, there's the sad anniversay of that standoff in Waco Texas (1993).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceasar1844
Why should they? Media organisations are not schools. They are not there to tell people what is best for them to know. They are there to provide information that people are interested in knowing and find useful. That is the product they are selling.
I strongly disagree with this but there's no point in taking this further since we're never going to agree.

Last edited by Castafiore : 04-18-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #102
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

You think that the media is there to tell people what they should care about? Bizarre.

I guess if you buy into such paternalistic nonsense then it is true that there is no point trying to reason with you. It would be like trying to explain quantum mechanics to a three year old.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #103
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
You think that the media is there to tell people what they should care about? Bizarre.
Nope.

At least, that's not the way I would phrase it.
I think that the media should report the news as it happens. From there on, they will decide what they want to read and focus on but at least, make it available. Don't assume that people won't be interested in something so you won't bother publishing it but you will just stick with what they like to hear. That would be paternalistic.

Granted, a newspaper will always have to make choices because there's only so much they can put in their paper edition but many newspapers have online websites where you can find elaborated information. How is it useful to let people decide what they want to read from the comfort of their homes instead of journalists who travel to the places where the news happens?

Last edited by Castafiore : 04-18-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #104
country flag Caesar1844

Quote:
I think that the media should report the news as it happens. From there on, they will decide what they want to read and focus on but at least, make it available. Don't assume that people won't be interested in something so you won't bother publishing it but you will just stick with what they like to hear. That would be paternalistic.
Erm... that's exactly what they do. If this 'other stuff' wasn't being covered, then you wouldn't even be aware that it was happening. It is being covered, just in not as much detail. Because there is less interest in it from their customer base.

The media reports on the news and they give the most attention to the stuff that people are most interested in. It is called supply and demand.

Quote:
Granted, a newspaper will always have to make choices because there's only so much they can put in their paper edition but many newspapers have online websites where you can find elaborated information. How is it useful to let people decide what they want to read from the comfort of their homes instead of journalists who travel to the places where the news happens?
Because the readers are the consumers, and the consumers dictate the product?

Online space may theoretically be limitless but the economics of running a business are about the efficient allocation of scarce resources. Who is going to pay the salaries of all these journalists filing stories about stuff that people aren't interested in?

Not the customers. They've already flicked over to the other channel, who are focusing more of their journalistic resources on covering the events that they actually want to know about.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #105
country flag Castafiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
Because the readers are the consumers, and the consumers dictate the product?
Only if you read a lot of tabloids.