2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #61
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 2 dead, 23 injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
Emotion =/= reason. You can believe that every life is equal, but care about some deaths more than others.
We're not talking about personal reactions, though. At least, I'm not. I'm talking about media coverage. How the media covers news event should not be driven by emotion in the first place. They have to be rational about it, analytical. (which isn't saying that they have to cut out emotions but it can't be dominant in news analysis).

My mother was not a famous person at all and she died a natural death so it's not exactly something that would be a news item. Hence, it's irrelevant in this particular debate.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #62
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured

A few heroes have emerged from this. One of them is Carlos Arredondo
"The man in the cowboys hat is Carlos Arredondo . He is an immigrant citizen of the U.S. who lost his son in Iraq and is now a peace activist and speaker. When the explosions happened, you can see that he did not hesitate to run towards the chaos and help, obviously trying to get this poor man out of there and to hold a tourniquet on one of his severed legs. Later, he was being interviewed, visibly shaking from shock and holding an American flag, soaked in the blood of other people. Carlos Arredondo's selflessness and bravery should be known and applauded."

Picture of him saving a man. Warning. This picture is extremely graphic.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #63
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 2 dead, 23 injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
Personally, I think that this is exactly the right time. Perhaps not "preaching", but it deserves some serious thought.
Sure, but I'd say it's common sense to wait a few days and not give such comments a mere hours after the incident.

I mean, I'm an atheist but you don't see me starting arguments over whether people should "pray" for Boston or the power of prayer. It's just not prudent. I understand that this isn't a totally similar case, but I'd say the same logic applies to both. Refrain and show compassion for a minute and be analytical later.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #64
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured

We can finally put a face of the innocent child who's killed senselessly.

Martin Richard, 8, was standing by the finish line with his family Monday afternoon when an explosion ripped the air around them.

“My dear son Martin has died from injuries sustained in the attack on Boston,” father Bill Richard said in a statement released on Tuesday. “My wife and daughter are both recovering from serious injuries.”

Richard’s mother, Denise, suffered a brain injury in the blast, and his 6-year-old sister reportedly lost a leg. The father told a local official that his daughter would have died if not for the heroic efforts of first-responders.

“I ask that you continue to pray for my family as we remember Martin,” he said in the statement.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #65
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #66
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Only 3 deaths and it's been blown up like a meteor has vaporized an entire city. Tens of thousands of people die every day and I don't see anyone shedding tears. Just because US pretends the the life of each of their citizen is worth at least a 1000 others and had very vocal media does not make it so and it certainly does not warrant all the hype and all the fake tears. To me these news are little more exciting than the local weather forecast.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #67
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
Personally, I think that this is exactly the right time. Perhaps not "preaching", but it deserves some serious thought.

In Iran, there was a big earthquake. At the moment, they've counted at least 40 people dead (with the fear of that figure being a lot higher). This isn't an attack so not caused by humans but it would still be interesting to see how the media attention compares with the attention given to the storms in the New York area recently.
There's no thread started on the Iran earthquake and I would be willing to bet that if a massive earthquake like that happened in LA or the UK or so, it would have a thread. So, exactly on this day, I feel it's the right time to talk about bias and hypocrisy involved because it is happening right now.

In Syria, people are currently living and dying in horrible circumstances and the news about Syria is spread as if you're talking about the price of 1 kg of oranges.
Perhaps this is exaggerated but IMO, not by much. This involves lots of innocent people and nearly nobody gives a damn, by the looks of it.

Not to say that what happened in Boston is not horrible. Of course, it's terrible. A marathon like that should be a joyful event, a celebration of life.

But on a day like this, when you compare what happens around the world and just how much more importance is given to the US drama, it leaves a sour taste in your mouth.
How many times do we have to have this stupid debate? If you want the earthquake in Iran to be the page one headline, then read Iranian newspapers. If you go to Iran-daily.com right now you will see a huge headline on the quake and a tiny story on Boston. If this is what you want, then just read Iran Daily. Or maybe you should write a letter to the newspaper whining about the scant news they offer on US affairs, while making huge stories out of Iranian affairs. Very biased.
That sour taste in your mouth is from all the grapes you put in it.

Last edited by buddyholly : 04-16-2013 at 10:28 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #68
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Only 3 deaths and it's been blown up like a meteor has vaporized an entire city. Tens of thousands of people die every day and I don't see anyone shedding tears. Just because US pretends the the life of each of their citizen is worth at least a 1000 others and had very vocal media does not make it so and it certainly does not warrant all the hype and all the fake tears. To me these news are little more exciting than the local weather forecast.
Interesting how you blame theU.S. for how your country's media portrays the incident.

The only reason that anyone knows about these deaths and the children who lost their legs is because it took place at an international event and was the result of bombs. No one out side my town, let alone the world, knows or cares about the three people who died here.

Super sorry that the deaths and maiming of people has irritated you so much, really has been hard on you.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #69
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Interesting how you blame theU.S. for how your country's media portrays the incident.
Actually, you are right. I can admit that my country's government is one of the biggest US ass kissers, unfortunately. And I have observed similar situation in other countries.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #70
country flag superslam77

superslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond repute

my condolences for the victims.

numbers are not everything.
superslam77 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #71
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Actually, you are right. I can admit that my country's government is one of the biggest US ass kissers, unfortunately. And I have observed similar situation in other countries.
I hardly think the u.s. is going to do anything to any news outlet that chooses not to give coverage to a grisly event in the u.s. but you might want to complain to them directly.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #72
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing that people keep ignoring that 70 countries are represented at the Marathon and that it is the worldwide biggest event in distance running.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #73
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

It's appalling how conspiracy theorists are exploiting this event for their own personal gain.

Tomic [tom-ic] [tom-ic-ing]
verb
1. apply yourself for a small period of time before giving up. (I am tomicing this match).
noun
2. play exceedingly well for a month and then give fallacious promises to the world. (He performed a Tomic).
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #74
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug View Post
It's appalling how conspiracy theorists are exploiting this event for their own personal gain.
Their gain?

Anyway I find it interesting that so many posters are interested in focusing on everything but the event itself, the people grieving,the people injured, the people who rushed to assistance etc. it's all about the news coverage and now that wing nuts are speculating. Actually given the nature of the event, there's been very little speculation here. We're sort of waiting on the evidence,
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #75
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Their gain?
Yes. A handful of theorists are exploiting the event merely for the sake of viewership and profit. That's what many of them do. The truth is the half of it.

Tomic [tom-ic] [tom-ic-ing]
verb
1. apply yourself for a small period of time before giving up. (I am tomicing this match).
noun
2. play exceedingly well for a month and then give fallacious promises to the world. (He performed a Tomic).
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote