2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured - Page 23 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #331
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyyelloballz View Post
No one ever put a backpack down before?

You don't know this either. I mean, the guy just had his legs blown off and then is giving accurate evidence about what happened moments before? No disrespect to the man, but there could be so many influential factors to lead him to identifying the 'suspect'. Who knows what pressure was on him.

And since when did suspect mean the guilty one?
No, not moments before, if you mean giving evidence. A couple of days later.

And he did not "identify" the suspect anyway. He drew a picture of a man who left a backpack and the FBI then went to the videos and suspected that man to be Tamerlan.

By offering every possibility other than the most obvious one, you are slipping into the language of the conspiracy theorists.
I will not be at all surprised when someone claims that nothing happened in Boston, but rather the government staged the whole thing and filmed it on the moon.

Last edited by buddyholly : 04-20-2013 at 11:07 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #332
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
next time u should say something or else u will never forget it for the rest of ur life..
yeah, that was my point. At the time I just talked myself out of it, I guess. I figured these Londoners know better than me, I'm a visitor here and never had to look out for abandoned bags on the subway in my city (back then).

I guess you worry too much about being embarrassed as a teenager. Now I will just say "Whose bag is that?" and if someone answers "Mine", then it's no big deal and everyone goes on with their day; you didn't really disrupt anything much. If no one answers, well then it's not just on your shoulders; now everyone in that subway car is aware of it and it becomes everyone's problem to do something about the bag.

Anyway that's why I was interested about this Baumann guy's experience. If a guy takes off his backpack and walks away immediately, that looks strange. If he takes it off, puts it down and stands watching the race (maybe his back is sore from wearing it all day), then after 10-15 minutes walks away without the bag -- then he might have honestly forgotten it. Most people would stop him and say 'hey, you forgot your bag' -- mostly to be nice and prevent him from losing his wallet, phone, etc (not because they think he's leaving behind a bomb). But if you stopped paying attention to him, you might not notice him leave, or you might forget that the bag on the ground was on his back and not the person next to him who's still standing next to it. So many people in the photos and videos of the scene wearing backpacks... like every fifth person.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #333
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
He only saw the elder brother, the one now dead. The other bomb was 100 yards away.

If my newspaper is correct:

Despite being heavily sedated, Baumann asked for paper and pencil, and wrote "bag - saw the guy- looked right at me."
Later he was able to draw a picture, which helped the FBI pick out the elder brother from the tens of thousands of people on surveillance footage. He was probably able to describe the clothing, making it much easier to pick out a suspect from the video.
An amazing story. Baumann may be the guy that cracked the case.
And not only that he provided key evidence, but the reason he was able to was that those rescuers got to him right away and applied the right kind of treatment so he didn't bleed to death on the sidewalk.

It all seems amazing.

But, I'm sure those who want to think the brothers were framed or that it's a put up deal will find some way to explain it away.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #334
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyyelloballz View Post
Is this how we decide proof now? Don't we usually go to courts before Judges and juries?
The word "proof" is not confined to courts of law. Sometimes people we are pretty darn sure are guilty are not convicted in a court of law, i.e. Simpson. Sometimes innocent people are convicted by proof in a court of law.

I think it's so interesting when people want to declare that we have to wait (years) until someone is proven guilty in a court of law before drawing a conclusion of guilt, yet will decry the court system for convincing innocent people.

It just seems like trying to play a game. Yeah, I think these brothers did the crime, but I could be convinced with other evidence that they did not.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #335
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
Anyway that's why I was interested about this Baumann guy's experience. If a guy takes off his backpack and walks away immediately, that looks strange. If he takes it off, puts it down and stands watching the race (maybe his back is sore from wearing it all day), then after 10-15 minutes walks away without the bag -- then he might have honestly forgotten it.
It will be a long time before someone can walk away from a backpack in the US without an alarm being raised. But eventually it will be possible again.

I noticed on each of my annual visits to the Sony Open that scrutiny of backpacks at the gate dwindled year by year, until they did not even look inside. Next year it will be a full check, no doubt.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #336
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
"Efficient"? "Excellent"? Only in a country as distorted as the USA could that futile display of material and human efforts over the capture of a 2 youngsters which surely costed several millions of US$ along with one dead cop could be regarded as "efficient".

Boston seemed to be pretty much in a state of siege. A curfew was set, shops and universities were closed, black hawk helicopters patrolled the skies while men in military clothes with automatic guns along with SWAT members and police officers patrolled the streets.

It's impressive how little it takes to make America go berserk and the authorities to suppress basic civil liberties. Terrorists will take note.
In one part of Boston.

Besides, no one who went out on the street would have been convicted of a crime. It was all voluntary.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #337
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It will be a long time before someone can walk away from a backpack in the US without an alarm being raised. But eventually it will be possible again.

I noticed on each of my annual visits to the Sony Open that scrutiny of backpacks at the gate dwindled year by year, until they did not even look inside. Next year it will be a full check, no doubt.
Sure, but let's be honest; these guys are atypical. The next guy will have no qualms about leaving his backpack on, and blowing himself up with it. There have been enough such incidents.

As for searches, they should definitely do them at stadiums and such. But I don't know about an event like Boston Marathon. It's not at a private venue. Many people are just downtown going about their business. So then it becomes a whole other discussion about civil liberties and police searching you on the street on any given day.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #338
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:

That's true at IW as well.

But I know there was someone who had a hissy fit about a bag being searched and threatened to sue, and after that the security guys could only ask to have people open the bags and look inside -- not feel around inside.

Most people are nice and understanding, but there's always someone willing to be really selfish and cause trouble.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #339
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
Sure, but let's be honest; these guys are atypical. The next guy will have no qualms about leaving his backpack on, and blowing himself up with it. There have been enough such incidents.

As for searches, they should definitely do them at stadiums and such. But I don't know about an event like Boston Marathon. It's not at a private venue. Many people are just downtown going about their business. So then it becomes a whole other discussion about civil liberties and police searching you on the street on any given day.
Probable cause is still needed for a search, thank god.

But I can see that someone gets jostled by a person setting down a backpack and thinks, "Rude," and turns back around assuming the guy is standing there by the pack -- doesn't see him walk away and then 2 minutes later there is a blast. It wasn't a very long time.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #340
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Probable cause is still needed for a search, thank god.

But I can see that someone gets jostled by a person setting down a backpack and thinks, "Rude," and turns back around assuming the guy is standing there by the pack -- doesn't see him walk away and then 2 minutes later there is a blast. It wasn't a very long time.
There is a photo out now of younger brother running away from the blast without a backpack. The photographer took the photo moments after the blast.
Proof, if I can use that word, that they left their backpacks timed to go off moments after they dropped them. Probably much less than 2 minutes.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #341
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is a photo out now of younger brother running away from the blast without a backpack. The photographer took the photo moments after the blast.
Proof, if I can use that word, that they left their backpacks timed to go off moments after they dropped them. Probably much less than 2 minutes.
They stuck around for a bit to see if the explosions would be successful.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #342
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Having law enforcement take control of the streets in Boston is not the same as having law enforcement take control of the streets in some South American city. Americans think their liberties are going to be protected whan that happens, not that yet another coup is underway.
4/10 in trolling attempt. try harder
Old 04-21-2013, 02:23 AM   #343
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Referring to two terrorists as youngsters just demonstrates your silliness. You fool nobody. And what was futile? They did what they set out to do. Fairly quickly and fairly efficiently. Unfortunately the terrorists managed to kill one more innocent person before their spree was terminated.

Maybe your mind can not really appreciate that Bostonians stayed calm and waited for the authorities to bring the crisis to an end. It is what the Bostonians wanted. I am unaware of anyone making a fuss about their daily activities being interrupted for a few hours if it meant ending the crisis.
Nobody went berserk in Boston, much less America, and I don't think anybody considers that their civil liberties were supressed by anyone other than two terrorists.
again, the point is, a vast police operation which costed several millions of US dollars along with one dead cop and the death of one of the two suspects while civil liberties were temporarily supressed can hardly be regarded as "excellent" or "efficient".

i'll leave you alone to keep trolling and defending all things in the right power, even justifying the usage of a redneck racist epithet like "wetback". I see you're on a roll in this thread but this is getting boring already.

Last edited by abraxas21 : 04-21-2013 at 02:26 AM.
abraxas21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 AM   #344
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

The only boring part is you coming back time and again to bemoan the fact that it is all over and the terrorists are either dead or in captivity, leaving you nothing to jeer at.

And where did all those millions of dollars go? Mostly in salaries that would be paid anyway. It is a drop in the ocean of the Boston budget. Money that is just circulating in the community.

Bostonians are very happy that the 'vast' police operation was so successful. But yes I know............. seeing such things as the celebration of ''Boston Strong'' and a community united against terror, no matter how petty,apparently drives you crazy with frustration that things did not get worse for those bad ol' white people up there in the US of A.

Awwwwww, poor abraxas.

Last edited by buddyholly : 04-21-2013 at 02:44 AM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #345
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

I was making a point about you using a racist term. It's not nice, is it?
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote