Maggie Thatcher died today - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #61
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maggie Thatcher died today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
The communities were based on moribund, unsustainable industries that had to be eliminated. The whole country was tottering under the weight of them, and it was dragging the entire economy down the tubes.

Her economic policies were what was necessary at the time. They dragged Britain out of the dark ages and put the country back on the top of the world. To blame her for the GFC almost 30 years later is just abject silliness and demonstrates an utter inability to discuss the topic rationally.
In 1990 we'd just had the Poll Tax. If anything the economic boom began in the mid 90s and Tony Blair in particular thrived off it.

So basically you're saying destroying half of a country leaving the poorest cities a wasteland were necessary?
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #62
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She came into office with the UK as the sick man of Europe, and left it as one of the world's great economic powers.

The way she did it was tough, uncompromising and upset many people. So what?

"To me, consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies. So it is something in which no one believes and to which no one objects."

She was transformational. The double team of her and Reagan changed the course of history. I bloody love history. She will go down as one of the most hated and most liked leaders of all time. Interpretation always changes as time goes on. We will see how history judges her in another 20 to 30 years.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #63
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
In 1990 we'd just had the Poll Tax. If anything the economic boom began in the mid 90s and Tony Blair in particular thrived off it.
Wow, significant rewriting of history there. The economy improved significantly until the '87 recession, and had recovered quite well by '92 thanks mostly to the economy's improved resilience due to Thatcher reforms. The whole boom of the '90s was underpinned by the reforms of the '80s, and Blair should kiss Thatcher's coffin for what she did for him.

The poll tax was a massive political mistake, although it should be pointed out that it was a reaction to discontent in Wales, Scotland and the North to problems with the preceding rates system. I am sure it was one of Thatcher's great private regrets. It cost her another half a decade in power.

Quote:
So basically you're saying destroying half of a country leaving the poorest cities a wasteland were necessary?
The communities that were devastated were on taxpayer-funded life support when she came into power. She had the balls to turn off the switch, and the country as a whole benefited from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
She was transformational. The double team of her and Reagan changed the course of history. I bloody love history. She will go down as one of the most hated and most liked leaders of all time. Interpretation always changes as time goes on. We will see how history judges her in another 20 to 30 years.
History has certainly been kind to her thus far.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #64
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
and the country as a whole benefited from it.

Wrong. That is completely wrong. Some areas did. The North, Scotland and parts of Wales did not.

Again, like Annak, another foreigner with no idea of what it was like. People in my family and my community suffered in near poverty under her. Now that Julia Gillard isn't bad is she?

Last edited by rocketassist : 04-09-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #65
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

She wasn't a hypocrite, that's something very rare in a political leader. That's irrespective of what the fanboys or people who are very happy that she has passed on.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #66
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wrong. That is completely wrong. Some areas did. The North, Scotland and parts of Wales did not.
As a political unit, the UK came out of the Thatcher era far stronger than it went in. That is the bottom line.

Quote:
Again, like Annak, another foreigner with no idea of what it was like. People in my family and my community suffered in near poverty under her. Now that Julia Gillard isn't bad is she?
I currently live in Australia, but your assessment of me as a foreigner with no idea is just an assumption.

The people from areas that suffered under Thatcher blame her and understandably have problems being objective. They have trouble recognising that the seeds of their suffering in the '80s and since were laid long before Thatcher came to power. She was just responsible for harvesting the fruit.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #67
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

She is behind the blueprint that is going to be our undoing under the current government.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #68
Banned!

Quote:
The people from areas that suffered under Thatcher blame her and understandably have problems being objective. They have trouble recognising that the seeds of their suffering in the '80s and since were laid long before Thatcher came to power. She was just responsible for harvesting the fruit.
http://www.sevenstreets.com/talk-and...aret-thatcher/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/de...ool-riots-1981

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...9623-33138405/

No we don't. She hated our community and treated it like dirt. But yeah, some foreigner thinks Liverpool needed to be destroyed, kkkkk.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #69
country flag Caesar1844

Enough with the hyperbole.

No Prime Minister could have changed the fact much of the North, Scotland and Wales were living on unsustainable industry propped up by the rest of the economy, which was dragging the whole country down. The pain they went through was regrettable but unavoidable, the addiction to government subsidies had to be broken. Thatcher at least had the courage of her convictions to follow through with what was necessary.

Any 'destruction' that followed was the unfortunate result of eliminating sectors of the economy that should have died decades before. It was a harsh wakeup call but an unavoidable one. The economic revival that the UK experienced in the wake of it was proof enough of that.

But by all means, assume I am a foreigner and pretend this means that what I say isn't valid. You are only fooling yourself.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #70
Banned!

Quote:
Enough with the hyperbole.

No Prime Minister could have changed the fact much of the North, Scotland and Wales were living on unsustainable industry propped up by the rest of the economy, which was dragging the whole country down. The pain they went through was regrettable but unavoidable, the addiction to government subsidies had to be broken. Thatcher at least had the courage of her convictions to follow through with what was necessary.

Any 'destruction' that followed was the unfortunate result of eliminating sectors of the economy that should have died decades before. It was a harsh wakeup call but an unavoidable one. The economic revival that the UK experienced in the wake of it was proof enough of that.

But by all means, assume I am a foreigner and pretend this means that what I say isn't valid. You are only fooling yourself.
It might be valid in your eyes but you didn't experience life under it. If Julia Gillard decides to put you into poverty, I hope you won't be blaming the people.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #71
country flag Caesar1844

Quote:
It might be valid in your eyes but you didn't experience life under it. If Julia Gillard decides to put you into poverty, I hope you won't be blaming the people.
When the economy is in the toilet, people suffer. It sucks, but it happens.

Thatcher took the hard decisions and people like you will revile her for it. It served the greater good of the United Kingdom however, and that is what a country's leader is elected to do.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #72
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Always sad to see a world figure go
That said, she was a terrible, horrible leader

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #73
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Supported apartheid, Pinochet yet a champion of freedom.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #74
Banned!

Quote:
When the economy is in the toilet, people suffer. It sucks, but it happens.

Thatcher took the hard decisions and people like you will revile her for it. It served the greater good of the United Kingdom however, and that is what a country's leader is elected to do.
You must be pretty one-dimensional if you think her entire path was the 'only way' though. She could have found more of a middle ground instead of a complete shift towards the South East and leaving up north fucked.

3.5m were unemployed, an all-time high. No jobs were created up here.

The current government is actually going to go far beyond her.

And we revile her here not just for that but for the way she allowed her boot boys to get away with the Hillsborough smear- the biggest cover-up in UK political history. Her and Sir Bernard Ingham went along with it. For that, there really is no defence, not even from the right.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #75
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute

Sign here, please

Privatise Thatcher's Funeral. It's what she would have wanted!

God is killing me
Kiedis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote