Maggie Thatcher died today - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #211
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maggie Thatcher died today

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
The results do indeed speak for themselves. Short term boom, long term bust. Fixing the immediate problem and sowing the seeds for the next, worse one.
Dribble. Blaming the failures of her successors on Thatcher is the height of peevishness.

Quote:
Huge damage done to communities across the country which still have not recovered. Inequality wide, wider and widening. One time gains for the exchequer leading to long term problems for the people as they are gouged on housing, utilities and rail by private companies with no concern for the affordability of their services.
More dribble. The damage was done well before she came to power, the fate of the North was predestined. Wilson closed more mines than Thatcher. The writing was on the wall.

If anything, Thatcher did what could be done to revitalise the industry. She slowed the rate of decline in coal production and productivity increased exponentially.

Quote:
What she did with the country she rescued was sow the seeds for more problems. The country was in a hell of a mess in 1990 when she was ejected by her own MPs from the office she loved.
Yet more dribble. Unemployment was steadily declining, manufacturing production was up, industrial production was up, productivity was up. The whole planet was in the grip of a recession but Britain was weathering it a hell of a lot better than most countries, and it was thanks to those achievements.

Quote:
There were reasons why she was kicked out, a fact conveniently overlooked by her supporters.
The Community Charge. That's it. It was a massive mistake and she'd pinned her credibility to it. The only way for the Tories to win the next election was to dump it, and they couldn't dump it without dumping her.

Quote:
And we can see now the long-term effects of the policies she instigated have been no less damaging to the country than the situation pre-1979 was. Then it was out of control unions, now it's out of control international corporations and finance. The only difference is, nobody is bothering to bring them under control, as Thatcher did with the unions.
More peevish rubbish. You realise there have been four Prime Ministers since Thatcher, right? Over a quarter of a century? And the bulk of that period has been governed by the left party?

That subsequent governments took similar policies to extremes is no indictment of Thatcher. The fact that you resort to citing such tangential rubbish shows that your arguments lack substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseles1 View Post
She denounced local education authorities for teaching children that 'they have an inalienable right to be gay.' Forced on her?
Section 28, outlawing a 'pretend family relationship.' Can government be anymore condescending? Section 28 had a devastating effect on a number of students at my school. A derogatory homophobic remark could be shouted and any teachers present were suddenly deaf. Homophobic bullying was rife and teachers ignored it in my first year and in my fifth. In RE classes at schhol we were taught the basics of the jewish faith, I ain't jewish. How can gay be taught?

Lord Halsbury, who was 'responsible' for this hateful law - 'Some homosexuals are suffering symptoms of promiscuity, exhibitionism & boasting of achievements.' 'Reservoirs' for VD.
If the homosexual part is ignored, in East Manchester this is known as lad culture.

1987 - Election campaign featured a billboard with a line of young men wearing badges such as 'Gay pride' and 'Gay sports day' with a slogan, 'This is Labour's camp. Do you want to live in it?.' Surely she approved the campaign?
She supported the campaign. The campaign was wrong. Where have I denied it? I am merely saying that her motives were more political than personal.

Quote:
I find this as 'shocking' as Verd. 'the regions that suffered' - Yorkshire, Merseyside & Greater Manchester combined contain more people,
about a million more than all/self important (Gr)London? Of course few are aware of the fact as London dominates the UK like no other capital city (dominates their country) on earth.
It's not about the North, or the South, or Liverpool, or Manchester, or London. It's about the collective national interest.

Quote:
What about the banking subsidies? The 90+ billion given to four UK banks in 2009 + 2010. 2011, another 30+ billion. Oh yeah they're not manufacturing industries & more importantly the SE would be affected.
See above. When you resort to criticising a PM for the acts of governments decades later, you're conceding you've not a leg to stand on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePower View Post
Nobody intelligent enough to turn on a PC could possibly believe this garbage, so I am going to assume you're just a liar.
Strong argument. Your lack of substance is noted.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #212
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For her supporters, please do enjoy paying your respects at her State-in-all-but-name-paid-for-largely-by-the-taxpayer Funeral next Wednesday.

I will be paying no attention.
First female PM, longest serving PM of the century, who led the country for over a decade at great personal risk to herself, and purely because of political differences you're going to snub her funeral.

Classy.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 AM   #213
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
First female PM, longest serving PM of the century, who led the country for over a decade at great personal risk to herself, and purely because of political differences you're going to snub her funeral.

Classy.
ah, get off your high horse and go preach somewhere else.

political differences are always a strong argument to "snub" somebody's funeral, especially if that person had the power to enact the polices which are based on the political differences you might have.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #214
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not a mod.
well, i guess that explains why the thread isn't locked then
Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #215
country flag Caesar1844

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
ah, get off your high horse and go preach somewhere else.

political differences are always a strong argument to "snub" somebody's funeral, especially if that person had the power to enact the polices which are based on the political differences you might have.
It's a stupid reason to not watch a funeral.

I won't be watching because I don't particularly care about fancy funerals for public figures. But to boycott it purely out of spite is incredibly childish.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #216
country flag mseles1

mseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She supported the campaign. The campaign was wrong. Where have I denied it? I am merely saying that her motives were more political than personal.

It's not about the North, or the South, or Liverpool, or Manchester, or London. It's about the collective national interest.

See above. When you resort to criticising a PM for the acts of governments decades later, you're conceding you've not a leg to stand on.
I never stated you'd denied the campaign was wrong. No supporter of gay rights would approve the '87 campaign.

Again you're the one who brought 'the regions' into the discussion. It's about London & the SE in the UK, was then is now.

I'm guilty of this how? You stated the massive subsidies shouldn't have existed to keep industries afloat in Thatcher's day. Yet when I provide an example of massive subsidies keeping the banking industry afloat in modern times I'm accused of criticising Thatcher for ills committed during another PM's watch?

The queen not particularly classy missing Mr Attlee's funeral & attending Thatcher's.
mseles1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #217
country flag Chris 84

Chris 84 has a reputation beyond reputeChris 84 has a reputation beyond reputeChris 84 has a reputation beyond reputeChris 84 has a reputation beyond reputeChris 84 has a reputation beyond reputeChris 84 has a reputation beyond reputeChris 84 has a reputation beyond reputeChris 84 has a reputation beyond reputeChris 84 has a reputation beyond reputeChris 84 has a reputation beyond reputeChris 84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
More peevish rubbish. You realise there have been four Prime Ministers since Thatcher, right? Over a quarter of a century? And the bulk of that period has been governed by the left party?
the "left party"? now there's a laugh.
the thing about thatcher's policies is that she revolutionised not only the economical situation, but also the political. she killed the labour party as a party of the left and there is little doubt that blair was just an extension of thatcher. in fact, everything since thatcher has been an extension. if blair had carried out his policies in a tory government, people wouldn't bat an eyelid for the simple reason that to a large extent he simply took their policies. things weren't re-nationalised, the public private partnership was just the private finance initiative with another name and blair actually reduced the top rate of taxation to far lower levels than when thatcher was in charge. to argue that the current economic situation has nothing to do with thatcher doesn't wash with me because it is her policies towards the economy which have been universally adopted.

now you can argue that this has become consensus policy. nobody advocates nationalisation any more, nobody advocates an end to PPP. however, in my opinion it is partly because the main political parties are so similar that election turnout has plummeted and there is a general disconnect with politics. also, the SNP is the party of government in scotland. that isn't because of their pro-independence stance as the majority of scots aren't yet in favour of independence, but rather because they have positioned themselves to the left of everyone else. they are far from extreme, they are pro-business and want to slash corporation taxes, etc, but even by remaining fairly centrist, they are miles to the left of labour. in short, no party of the left has been in government in the uk since the 70s.
Chris 84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #218
country flag abraxas21

Quote:

I won't be watching because I don't particularly care about fancy funerals for public figures. But to boycott it purely out of spite is incredibly childish.
so, not watching a funeral = boycotting it?

you're making no sense
Old 04-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #219
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
Reminds me of thousands of Palestinians celebrating 9/11.
That was fake, you dolt! Shot months before 9/11.

Gee, I wonder who gave that video to the US MSM under false pretenses.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #220
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I find it quite offensive that the BBC are going to be broadcasting the funeral.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #221
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

We're entitled to if we want to because she hurt our families and damaged our communities.

I know you're right-wing, but don't be Daily Mail and completely disregard the opposite side's entitlement to their opinions.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #222
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

And I hope the BBC don't bottle it, they should play 'Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead' when it charts on Sunday.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #223
country flag Caesar1844

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
so, not watching a funeral = boycotting it?

you're making no sense
In the context the poster in question mentioned? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
We're entitled to if we want to because she hurt our families and damaged our communities.

I know you're right-wing, but don't be Daily Mail and completely disregard the opposite side's entitlement to their opinions.
It's petty and spiteful. Regardless of what you think of Thatcher, she did her best for the country. It nearly cost her her life.

Watch the funeral, don't watch the funeral. It doesn't matter. But to boycott it as some sort of protest is just childish and unclassy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
And I hope the BBC don't bottle it, they should play 'Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead' when it charts on Sunday.
Nothing like a bit of misogyny from the self-styled 'progressives'.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #224
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Nothing like a bit of misogyny from the self-styled 'progressives'.
Yet the BBC are quite happy to play Chris Brown's music, a man with a track record of beating up women
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #225
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
That was fake, you dolt! Shot months before 9/11.

Gee, I wonder who gave that video to the US MSM under false pretenses.
looks real to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRA0NKQ0k6E
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote