Maggie Thatcher died today - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #196
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maggie Thatcher died today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
There are plenty of things she did wrong. Section 28 was wrong. Raising interest rates when the North was starting to recover was wrong. Failing to adequately replenish housing stocks after the sell-off was wrong. I could name a dozen other things to boot.

What wasn't wrong was stuffing Scargill and his self-entitled mates, stopping the gravy train of subsidies to the North, and looking after the national interest first and regional interests second. As I said, all those with their snouts in the trough (and their patronising enablers such as yourself) were upset. That's what happens when you take away someone's free ride. The culture of personal responsibility and aspiration that she imposed on the nation has been praised by everyone from Mitterand to Miliband.

Anyone remotely informed and impartial about the situation can see that Thatcher rescued the country from the brink of collapse, and put it back on top of the world economically in a frame of time that seemed inconceivable at the end of the 1970s. Regardless of whether you think she was a bit tough and nasty about how she did it, the results speak for themselves.
The results do indeed speak for themselves. Short term boom, long term bust. Fixing the immediate problem and sowing the seeds for the next, worse one. Huge damage done to communities across the country which still have not recovered. Inequality wide, wider and widening. One time gains for the exchequer leading to long term problems for the people as they are gouged on housing, utilities and rail by private companies with no concern for the affordability of their services.

Thatcher rescued the country in 1979 - although economic growth had returned under IMF supervision, inflation was still too high and the unions were still out of control.

What she did with the country she rescued was sow the seeds for more problems. The country was in a hell of a mess in 1990 when she was ejected by her own MPs from the office she loved. Not as bad as 1979, for sure, but another deep, painful recession, negative equity, the intrinsic unfairness of the Poll Tax getting people out rioting in the streets. There were reasons why she was kicked out, a fact conveniently overlooked by her supporters. And we can see now the long-term effects of the policies she instigated have been no less damaging to the country than the situation pre-1979 was. Then it was out of control unions, now it's out of control international corporations and finance. The only difference is, nobody is bothering to bring them under control, as Thatcher did with the unions.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #197
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

In any case, I am ready to move on from this now.

I have stated my positions and beliefs, others have done the same, I don't see any likelihood of a meeting of minds here and it would be a waste of time to continue talking across each other.

For her supporters, please do enjoy paying your respects at her State-in-all-but-name-paid-for-largely-by-the-taxpayer Funeral next Wednesday.

I will be paying no attention.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #198
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post

I have stated my positions and beliefs, others have done the same, I don't see any likelihood of a meeting of minds here and it would be a waste of time to continue talking across each other.

For her supporters, please do enjoy paying your respects at her State-in-all-but-name-paid-for-largely-by-the-taxpayer Funeral next Wednesday.

i was afraid that the thread would be locked after this.

no offense but when a mod states that there would be "a waste of time to continue talking across each other" the thread is usually locked right away. it's like the kid who takes the ball away with him when he gets bored of the match.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #199
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

I'm not a mod.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #200
country flag mseles1

mseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actually, Thatcher was a supporter of gay rights. She was a strong and early supporter of decriminalising homosexuality. Section 28 was forced on her by her back bench during a time she was politically vulnerable.
She denounced local education authorities for teaching children that 'they have an inalienable right to be gay.' Forced on her?
Section 28, outlawing a 'pretend family relationship.' Can government be anymore condescending? Section 28 had a devastating effect on a number of students at my school. A derogatory homophobic remark could be shouted and any teachers present were suddenly deaf. Homophobic bullying was rife and teachers ignored it in my first year and in my fifth. In RE classes at schhol we were taught the basics of the jewish faith, I ain't jewish. How can gay be taught?

Lord Halsbury, who was 'responsible' for this hateful law - 'Some homosexuals are suffering symptoms of promiscuity, exhibitionism & boasting of achievements.' 'Reservoirs' for VD.
If the homosexual part is ignored, in East Manchester this is known as lad culture.

1987 - Election campaign featured a billboard with a line of young men wearing badges such as 'Gay pride' and 'Gay sports day' with a slogan, 'This is Labour's camp. Do you want to live in it?.' Surely she approved the campaign?

Quote:
Look at her record on homosexuality prior to becoming leader. It was out of character.
Granted she was one of the few tories to vote for the decriminalisation of homosexuality in 1967. One of the arguments at the time was that gay people should be free from threat of prison so they could 'seek treatment.' Doubt this means finding a fella.
Lady Young led the campaign against Tony Blair's scrapping of section 28 in 2000, Thatcher sat next to Young in the vote. Wonder how she voted?

Quote:
Look at this thread - the people who hate Thatcher are from the regions that suffered under her...
It's the massive subsidies that were used to keep industries afloat that should not have existed.
I find this as 'shocking' as Verd. 'the regions that suffered' - Yorkshire, Merseyside & Greater Manchester combined contain more people,
about a million more than all/self important (Gr)London? Of course few are aware of the fact as London dominates the UK like no other capital city (dominates their country) on earth.

What about the banking subsidies? The 90+ billion given to four UK banks in 2009 + 2010. 2011, another 30+ billion. Oh yeah they're not manufacturing industries & more importantly the SE would be affected.

Closure of British coal mining industry > revenge > NUM bt Heath government.
mseles1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #201
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

The only memorial that matters next week is on Monday April 15.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #202
country flag Drugs Ruin Lives

Drugs Ruin Lives has a reputation beyond reputeDrugs Ruin Lives has a reputation beyond reputeDrugs Ruin Lives has a reputation beyond reputeDrugs Ruin Lives has a reputation beyond reputeDrugs Ruin Lives has a reputation beyond reputeDrugs Ruin Lives has a reputation beyond reputeDrugs Ruin Lives has a reputation beyond reputeDrugs Ruin Lives has a reputation beyond reputeDrugs Ruin Lives has a reputation beyond reputeDrugs Ruin Lives has a reputation beyond reputeDrugs Ruin Lives has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actually, Thatcher was a supporter of gay rights. She was a strong and early supporter of decriminalising homosexuality. Section 28 was forced on her by her back bench during a time she was politically vulnerable.
Nobody intelligent enough to turn on a PC could possibly believe this garbage, so I am going to assume you're just a liar.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #203
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseles1 View Post
Europe - it does em all in! The video footage of Thatcher moving the German flag & replacing it with the Union Jack in front of Kohl - sums up Britain & Europe still. Commonwealth conferences, 48-1 three times, I can't fault her conviction.
She 'made' spitting image.
Thatcher signed up the Single European Act. She was a devoted Europeist !! Her successor voted the Maastricht Treaty. Both treaties were, of course, irresponsible.

Heath's government joined the EU, while De Gaulle vetoed x3 UK's joining. Thatcher was in it. She gave a lot of subsidies to the CERN as Minister of Research.

Thatcher also presided over a mass immigration from Eastern Euro countries that came to the British job market, adding to the impoverishment of the British small middle class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
People who blame Thatcher for everything seem to block out the fact that she was elected three times. A fairly sure indication that she was carrying out the will of the people. So why not just heap your scorn on the electorate? She was serving the nation.
I don't believe in democracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
churchill is vastly overrated as a prime minister. whilst definitely a great wartime leader, it is often forgotten that he lost the 1945 election, which is pretty crazy considering how popular he himself was as a result of the war.
What? Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
I thought Blair's first term (1997-01) was excellent
Jesus !!

Last edited by Echoes : 04-11-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #204
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Jesus !!
He introduced the minimum wage, unemployment was at its lowest in around 30 years, repealed Section 28 amongst other things. There will be some that say he was fortunate to enter power during an economic boom- one that Merseyside benefitted greatly from him. I never liked him personally but I won't slate his first few years in charge.

Then came Iraq, then came his selfishness and his deception just to please his master Dubya, and he went stale domestically, especially in his speeches and his aims. He started talking like a real Tory.

I don't consider him a great PM though.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #205
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

So the taxpayer will be funding this Margaret Thatcher funeral?
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #206
country flag mseles1

mseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Her successor voted the Maastricht Treaty. Both treaties were, of course, irresponsible.
Maastricht Treaty - Signed the treaty after opting out of the social chapter & EMU - what a partner we were/are! European interference in the workplace, the UK was going to stumble with this one, particularly a tory government. Eight years later the UK (labour) signed up to the social chapter if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
So the taxpayer will be funding this Margaret Thatcher funeral?
Despite Thatcher owning a five-storey property in Belgravia, central London. Cost of a three month stay at the Ritz? Will the cost of the funeral be made available (after it's been held of course?)
mseles1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #207
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well I'm definitely not an expert so I would defer to someone on is on matters of terminology and fact.

Let me turn around the question onto you, since you are better qualified perhaps to answer it - what do you think caused it? How did mispricing risk come about? Why were regulators and others not awake to the fact that risk was being mispriced and an unsustainable asset bubble was being created?
Quote:

I hope we can still have small chat on the subject of the financial crisis... It's such an interesting topic and one of my favorite ones to discuss with different people to gain new perspectives on it. I'm just swamped with school work at the moment but I will return to the issue tomorrow probably.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #208
Banned!

Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #209
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
I hope we can still have small chat on the subject of the financial crisis... It's such an interesting topic and one of my favorite ones to discuss with different people to gain new perspectives on it. I'm just swamped with school work at the moment but I will return to the issue tomorrow probably.
I would still like to talk about this, even if only to clarify my own understanding of it, but I don't think this thread is the place to do it.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #210
country flag octatennis

octatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond repute

No R.I.P from me.
octatennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote