Am I the only one who doesn't care about the Davis Cup? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #46
country flag vpmrosulate

vpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I the only one who doesn't care about the Davis Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Kuerten View Post
But you're dependent of your teammates, it's an unfair disadvantage to lesser tennis countries to rate the Davis Cup higher in an individual sport. A guy like Murray will never be able to win the Davis Cup. Ferrer won both his matches in three sets in last years final, but lost due to his poor teammates.
Good company
I know, I agree on the macro level, that's why I'm rating it on an individual basis. Only fair when I also rated the Masters on an individual basis.

del Potro/Nalbandian/Safin
Gulbis/Monfils/Dolgopolov/Tursunov/Giorgi
Davydenko/Janowicz/Verdasco/Lopez
Soderling/Cilic/Blake
vpmrosulate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #47
country flag simplet

simplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond repute

Like everyone is saying, what's not to like about Davis Cup? The only tournament where everyone's favorite shot is the double fault. The crowd goes wild for those every time.
simplet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #48
country flag Timot

Timot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But you're dependent of your teammates, it's an unfair disadvantage to lesser tennis countries to rate the Davis Cup higher in an individual sport. A guy like Murray will never be able to win the Davis Cup. Ferrer won both his matches in three sets in last years final, but lost due to his poor teammates.
Good company
That makes it even more exciting, IMO. You need to have a good team - not just one guy.

It would be so boring (and kinda pointless) if DC produced nearly the same results as singles ranking.
Timot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #49
country flag Vinceremo

Vinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
I don't feel bad for those guys. It's a chance of a lifetime that only Davis cup could provide. Like guy from Benin who got triple breadsticked by Baghdatis. Yeah he got killed but I bet he relished the chance and won't forget the day he got go play Baghdatis.
Fair point in those cases but take in consideration i'm, too, referring to amateur players who are getting constantly outclassed by way lesser known players around the 200-500 range leaving nothing 'memorable' (being strict with it I guess in comparison to being in the same court against Baghdatis or Gulbis, for example) to remember and just the fact that they tried, stepped up for their country and did their best... which is, still, a great valuable experience but, hey, go tell that to the few people on the stands who were cheering for their countryman and expecting a competitive bout due to their lack of knowledge in the sport and how different the levels are between full time pros and the ones who aren't. i've got crazy respect for them, it's quite a brave thing to do.

but I get your point, like I said. plus, those guys should always leave the court with their chin up after the effort and intention despite the logical differences and gap in level again.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #50
country flag Chris Kuerten

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timot View Post
That makes it even more exciting, IMO. You need to have a good team - not just one guy.

It would be so boring (and kinda pointless) if DC produced nearly the same results as singles ranking.
Agreed, that was only to prove a point about why a Davis Cup victory shouldn't be rated above a Masters title.

Dustin Brown - Fabio Fognini - Gaël Monfils - Jerzy Janowicz - Alexandr Dolgopolov

Ernests Gulbis - Nick Kyrgios - Pablo Cuevas - Taro Daniel - Igor Sijsling - Paolo Lorenzi - Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
What you talking about Willis?
El Pendejo dice que el número uno no es suficiente pero el buitre de lenders, ferrer, puede ganar 7 tourneos sin mi permiso.
Mi boyfriend federer is goat, no?
Chris Kuerten is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #51
country flag vpmrosulate

vpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond reputevpmrosulate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronga23 View Post
Well basketball has always been my second favorite sport . I watch every game if Pau and Carmelo I can. Wish DAntoni would use him more.
Nice, I watch the Knicks because I'm from the area.

But I wouldn't say simply use him more, but use him wisely. Like in tennis, if a player is tall and strong, a coach should encourage him to work on his serve, because he has high potential there. D'Antoni makes a 7-footer shoot 3's instead of converting near the hoop to take advantage of his size.

Back to the Davis Cup, it's helping me learn French as I read the relevant tweets since I can't watch the Nalbandian match right now. Seems very emotional sometimes.

Soderling/Cilic/Blake
Old 04-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #52
country flag vpmrosulate

Quote:
Agreed, that was only to prove a point about why a Davis Cup victory shouldn't be rated above a Masters title.
Well, at least you're now saying there is something marginally exciting about DC.

Soderling/Cilic/Blake
Old 04-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #53
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

I've never really given it the esteem that the ITF brands it with, but I have enjoyed some of the matches it has produced. The early 00's produced tons of them. From what I've seen the late 80's/early 90's boasts good ties as well.

Also, I don't think it can be overlooked for its affect on a player's confidence. It seemed to do great things for Djokovic's. I think Nadal even benefited from it back in '04.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #54
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

I like DC a lot, more than M1000s. M1000s are either warm-up for slams or completely useless like IW, Miami, and Shanghai. But players in DC play seriously, only bad thing is big names skipping it. Besides, it's refreshing to see something different than a usual 32-player tournament. I much rather watch DC than a 250 on slow HC/clay. Actually, DC is one of the few tournaments where you still can have fast surfaces, DF F was the fastest surface Spaniards played last year and it was just a normal indoor HC, carpet would've been faster. Also, I like the football-like crowd in DC. Actually, it's one of my favourite nations' cups because it's played on teams' home courts. It's like UCL playoffs, not like a World Cup of XXX.

Stanislas Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #55
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Emotions, rivalries, best of 5, biased crowds, different surface speeds, crying people, big trophy, a shot at glory (even for the lesser gods like Troicki). What's not to like?
Exactly, I dont see how DC cannot be exciting.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #56
country flag tumbak

tumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond repute

It's sick, but however I would be more excited about it if my country was playing on a good level.
tumbak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #57
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Too many johnny come lately player fans who need to go and follow another sport.

DC is magical, mystical and a part of tennis romance.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #58
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I like DC a lot, more than M1000s. M1000s are either warm-up for slams or completely useless like IW, Miami, and Shanghai. But players in DC play seriously, only bad thing is big names skipping it. Besides, it's refreshing to see something different than a usual 32-player tournament. I much rather watch DC than a 250 on slow HC/clay. Actually, DC is one of the few tournaments where you still can have fast surfaces, DF F was the fastest surface Spaniards played last year and it was just a normal indoor HC, carpet would've been faster. Also, I like the football-like crowd in DC. Actually, it's one of my favourite nations' cups because it's played on teams' home courts. It's like UCL playoffs, not like a World Cup of XXX.
This is a great point.

DC allows for the use of surfaces, particularly fast ones, that deviate from the standard of the current ATP tour.

I relished the slugfest that went on in the Berdych-Almagro match last Fall. You just don't/can't see that type of shot-making very often these days.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #59
country flag gulzhan

gulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post

DC is magical, mystical and a part of tennis romance.
+1

I usually cheer for France but I started watching the doubles match today and pretty quickly turned to cheer for Argentina. Only because of Nalbandian. Where else can you watch David playing on this level? Breathtaking tennis, that's the magic of DC

The best tennis matches I ever saw were played during DC weekends. I pity those who don't feel it.
gulzhan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #60
country flag Ben D.

Ben D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond repute

It's the only big title left for non-top 4.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

1 year, 7 weeks as Top 10 and counting
M T F
Mega-Tsonga-Fandom
don't like Tsonga? move along, it's propaganda here.

Ben D. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote