Who do you think is THE current underachiever in the men's game? - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #76
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who do you think is THE current underachiever in the men's game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moozza View Post
Ferrer.
Ferrer is an overachiever by all means. sorry but If you really like tennis and not just Murray try harder. many great matches on you tube, you can learn .

On the other hands, I can list so many names. I don't think it really matters. let's put it this way ... if your name is not Djokovic, Federer or Nadal you suck (MTF logic)...
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #77
country flag uxyzapenje

uxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond repute

It's between Gulbis and Bellucci.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #78
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Picking 3 based on potential, and still have time to become "achievers": Almagro, Baghdatis, Don Young (That bent hat was trending before the minor setback of him dropping out of the top 150)
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #79
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Well, that is the problem, having to be perfect in best of 5 is a tall order, and he doesn't have much of a plan B, if his timing is off, that's it.
Well yes, while impressive at its best, his game was never the sort of the game that would allow for consistency/domination, but winning one or two Slams was far from beyond reach imo. He lacked in key aspects such as mental strength and focus, which active Grand Slam winners generally have in spades.

Despite all that, one can't help but feel that he did not maximize his career; at no point in his career did he focus around peaking for Slams nor did he ever set his target to try and win one. People often accuse this era's most immediate challengers to the elite (Berdych, Tsonga) of being mentally weak, but compared to Davydenko they are giants in that regard. The most disappointing isn't even that Davydenko didn't win a Slam (not even reached a final), but rather that at no point did it feel like he could win one or that he was even targetting that goal as a career priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBkeeper View Post
Great and Accurate posts of all of you about Davy but ... just to clear things up ... he isn't mentally weak (He won and is still winning many important points by being clutch) .. but in his game there's no place for rest ... a little below maximum concentration and everything is gone thus it seems that he is choking ... but he is actually fighting! ... have you ever tried to play like that ? it can only be done when you're MEZMERIZING talent , have Perfect timing/hand-eye-coordination and with 100% confidnce ! ... the thing is he hadn't had the belief that he'll do something big ! All of his career he played tournaments for confidence ... He played so many tournaments that his motivation (not anything else) burned out.
Davydenko is nothing short of incredible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOwyrFx44GE He even ON CLAY plays on the rise that's the most difficult thing in tennis ... cause the ball is spinning (faster after bounce) and bouncing Higher !
To end all of this: 2006 Davydenko was something ... graciously beautiful to watch ... IDK what it would've been if i saw him while winning Paris-Bercy in 2006 ... something beautiful like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUBXwBiEBcg
Agree with the rest, but when someone as good as Davydenko doesn't believe they can do something big, they're mentally weak, no two ways about it. Look at Del Potro for instance: he's nowhere near as talented a shotmaker as Davydenko, he's not as fit and he has struggled with injuries far more. Yet he has managed to win a Slam simply due to far exceeding Davydenko as far as mental strength, focus, belief are concerned, basically as a competitor overall. He actually has less reason than Davydenko to believe that he can do something big, but he does believe it and he did it.

Davydenko is incredible as a player - of all players I watched live he was probably the one I was most impressed with, he's amazing to watch - but a very poor competitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Nalbandian by far. Followed by Wawrinka and Haas.

Davydenko underachieved but not that much, he should have at least one or 2 slam finals, but the rest of his career is great, 3 M1000, a WTF, a good amount of titles, etc.
Haas is not an underachiever. Players who haven't achieved more due to injuries shouldn't be mentioned since it's out of their control. If we consider Haas as an underachiever, we have to make a list of every player who had their career derailed by injuries really, that's different from underacheving.

As for Davydenko, that 'good amount of titles' is the reason his career must be seen as a sort of disappointing, he scheduled like Ferrer when he had 10x the ability. At the time I actually liked that he played almost every week since I love watching him play, but in hindsight if there was an award for the worst scheduler in history Davydenko would have to be in with a shot.

Suicide Tennis - Wimbledon 2014
Fill-In-The-Draw - US Open 2014
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #80
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

Dimitrov has the gift
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #81
country flag Schumacher

Schumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray-for-palestine-and-israel View Post
Dimitrov has the gift
Yes, definitely. But something went wrong in his progress. A few years ago it seemed he could challenge the best players quite soon and even there were voices, that he is the second Federer (Peter Lundgren said something similar...), but now it seems his progress slowed down...
Schumacher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #82
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

Federer.
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #83
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher View Post
Yes, definitely. But something went wrong in his progress. A few years ago it seemed he could challenge the best players quite soon and even there were voices, that he is the second Federer (Peter Lundgren said something similar...), but now it seems his progress slowed down...
Did he really make 3 or 4 DFs when serving for sets against both Djokovic and Murray recently or did I dream that?

I think it's a bit soon to call him an underachiever but I admit if things don't pick up he could be heading that way fast.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #84
country flag Schumacher

Schumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond repute

Wawrinka....and Nalbandian. These two are/were players with a lot of potential...
Schumacher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #85
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Haas
Nalbandian
Gulbis
Dimitrov
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #86
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

De Bakker.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #87
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Dolgopolov, Cilic, and Wawrinka are my top 3.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #88
country flag Fedalovic

Fedalovic has a reputation beyond reputeFedalovic has a reputation beyond reputeFedalovic has a reputation beyond reputeFedalovic has a reputation beyond reputeFedalovic has a reputation beyond reputeFedalovic has a reputation beyond reputeFedalovic has a reputation beyond reputeFedalovic has a reputation beyond reputeFedalovic has a reputation beyond reputeFedalovic has a reputation beyond reputeFedalovic has a reputation beyond repute

Wawrinka, Gasquet and Dimitrov.
Fedalovic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #89
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Nalbandian and Baghdatis.

I don't understand you who say Dimitrov, you must have had unrealistic expectations.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote