Who do you think is THE current underachiever in the men's game? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #46
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who do you think is THE current underachiever in the men's game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Not really, I'm saying that he achieved a lot, and that going over that would most likely mean punching above his weight. I'm not buying that schedule/money explanation, if he wanted money why not going where the biggest money is - slams?

Ok, he's a elite ballstriker, what else does he do on that level? When he's not painting the lines, then he's usually in big trouble.
He never believed he could win a Slam. I remember after losing a Slam SF to Federer he said in the post match interview he has happy he had collected more points to quality for the TMC when he was like the third or fourth best player in the world. I'm sure most people who followed his career close would confirm that lack of self belief was always his main obstacle.

His footwork was also worldclass, one of the best on tour. Still is, although he lost footspeed in recent years of course. He also was one of the best returners of serve on tour. Davydenko is a huge underachiever, Federer was a bad matchup for him since in his prime he took time away from baseliners better than anyone but Davydenko had his chances to beat him at Slams, just wasted every single one of them, the most notorious chokes being sets 3 and 4 of AO 2006, the AO 2010 implosion and losing FO 2007 in straights after serving for each of the three sets.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #47
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just Federer, as I've mentioned he was losing a lot to a number of players, even Gasquet is 4-2 against him. I don't think you can pin everything on belief, how did he win 3 masters and a WTF if he didn't believe? Those are pretty big titles, more than Tsonga and Berdych have combined. Denko's game works the best in 3 sets, in slams he's just going to run out gas rather sooner than later.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #48
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Gulbis, Tomic, Berdych, Monfils, Nadal

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #49
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Federer.

Had he not been such a headcase, he'd have won a lot more slams.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #50
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Gulbis. And now he's GOATbis, that is going to change.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #51
country flag Everko

Everko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Gulbis. And now he's GOATbis, that is going to change.
Gulbis isn't talent. He is a mindless ball hitter and likes to play crush ball, not tennis. It's funny that people think he is good.

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #52
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everko View Post
Gulbis isn't talent. He is a mindless ball hitter and likes to play crush ball, not tennis. It's funny that people think he is good.
Assume you didn't see him against Nadal at IW then
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #53
country flag Everko

Everko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't watch when Nadal plays a nobody.

Quote:
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Old 04-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #54
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Seeing Mugbis' scarecrow forehand in action is enough to turn any tennis fan away from a match. It's as offensive as Mugrin's serve and Sharapova's screams.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #55
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Probably Federer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #56
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Current underachiever has to be Wawrinka. Serves great, one of the best forehand + backhand combos on the tour, has very good feel at the net, plays on hardcourts and clay very well and can be a huge power player. Obviously his mental ability has held him back like so many other players in the past with such a tennis package as he has.

Gulbis is a candidate but IMO Wawrinka has a much more reliable tennis package in general.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #57
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everko View Post
His tennis is at the very least leaps and bounds better than your ability at predictions and at creating what you claim to be "tennis analysis."
Old 04-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #58
country flag ADaddy69
Banned!

ADaddy69 has a reputation beyond reputeADaddy69 has a reputation beyond reputeADaddy69 has a reputation beyond reputeADaddy69 has a reputation beyond reputeADaddy69 has a reputation beyond reputeADaddy69 has a reputation beyond reputeADaddy69 has a reputation beyond reputeADaddy69 has a reputation beyond reputeADaddy69 has a reputation beyond reputeADaddy69 has a reputation beyond reputeADaddy69 has a reputation beyond repute

Verdasco and Almagro.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
ADaddy69 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #59
country flag Everko

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
His tennis is at the very least leaps and bounds better than your ability at predictions and at creating what you claim to be "tennis analysis."
He is ranked 55. I am for sure one of the best 55 tennis analysts. Gulbis won't get much better than 40 in his career. Nobody really likes Gulbis himself people just like him for the false belief that he is dangerous to Nadal.

Quote:
Federer will fall
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #60
country flag HKz
Hakeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
He never believed he could win a Slam. I remember after losing a Slam SF to Federer he said in the post match interview he has happy he had collected more points to quality for the TMC when he was like the third or fourth best player in the world. I'm sure most people who followed his career close would confirm that lack of self belief was always his main obstacle.

His footwork was also worldclass, one of the best on tour. Still is, although he lost footspeed in recent years of course. He also was one of the best returners of serve on tour. Davydenko is a huge underachiever, Federer was a bad matchup for him since in his prime he took time away from baseliners better than anyone but Davydenko had his chances to beat him at Slams, just wasted every single one of them, the most notorious chokes being sets 3 and 4 of AO 2006, the AO 2010 implosion and losing FO 2007 in straights after serving for each of the three sets.
Being a rather smaller player, he has to work a lot of the points out which places so much mental stress on a player. I mean it must be so nice to be a Federer or a Berdych where they can win so many free points off the serve and the forehand. It takes off a lot mentally.

Davydenko was definitely a bit unlucky in his career. He met Federer nearly every single time he had a good run at a slam which were almost all durnig Federer's peak years. I would have loved to see if Davydenko could challenge Nadal considering how Davydenko has had Rafa's number for a good portion of their encounters.