Who do you think is THE current underachiever in the men's game? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who do you think is THE current underachiever in the men's game?

Stanislas Wawrinka in my opinion. Huge game with results that seldom (almost never in fact) match it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
country flag Newcomer
Banned!

Newcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who do you think is THE current underachiever in the men's game?

Berdych, Wawrinka, Nalbandian, Stepanek
Newcomer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
country flag Timot

Timot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond repute

Murray, Wawrinka, Blake, Nalbandian.
Timot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

peak murray
Old 04-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post
Berdych, Wawrinka, Nalbandian, Stepanek
The last two are old, not sure what do you expect they achieve at this point Berdych and Wawrinka just seem to be what they are, they are not going to pull a rabbit out of hat at this point.

Currently I'd say Tomic and Dimitrov, as they seem to be capable of more than they are doing at the moment.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
country flag Newcomer
Banned!

Newcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
The last two are old, not sure what do you expect they achieve at this point Berdych and Wawrinka just seem to be what they are, they are not going to pull a rabbit out of hat at this point.

Currently I'd say Tomic and Dimitrov, as they seem to be capable of more than they are doing at the moment.
Both Stepanek and Nalba had\has potential to achieve more. Radek was in form of his life when he faced an injury plus he started to play serious level at the age of 25. For me he is a clean underachiever. Nalba is underachiever in case of his potential and "peak" level. Berdych for his constistency and top-10 status is huge underachiever. He can't win something big from 2006.
Dimitrov and Tomic are still young. As you remember Federer at the age of 20-21 wasn't so great too.
Newcomer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
country flag Timot

Timot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post

He probably meant their career as a whole. Since they are both current players it still applies. I went with that logic too with both Nalby and Blake.
Timot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
country flag Ziggy B

Ziggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond repute

Soon as I read the thread title I thought of Stan lol. Amazing game, his willpower just deserts him. Actually think he's been mentally tougher recently though. Definetely top 10 based on his game IMO.

FEDERER - MURRAY - DEL POTRO - DIMITROV - GASQUET - WAWRINKA - TSONGA - HEWITT - FOGNINI - HAAS - KOHLSCHREIBER - NALBANDIAN
Ziggy B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timot View Post
He probably meant their career as a whole. Since they are both current players it still applies. I went with that logic too with both Nalby and Blake.
I understood it's more focusing on the current underachievers, not historically, i.e. those who could achieve more at this point and on
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Old 04-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
country flag Surcouf

Surcouf has a reputation beyond reputeSurcouf has a reputation beyond reputeSurcouf has a reputation beyond reputeSurcouf has a reputation beyond reputeSurcouf has a reputation beyond reputeSurcouf has a reputation beyond reputeSurcouf has a reputation beyond reputeSurcouf has a reputation beyond reputeSurcouf has a reputation beyond reputeSurcouf has a reputation beyond reputeSurcouf has a reputation beyond repute

Davydenko?

Had a big and fast game, was very good on hardcourt and clay, but never made even a slam final. He was also a complete headcase against Federer. I certainly thought he was a much better player than someone like Stepanek. Nalbandian could have done more, but his fitness was never good.

Gasquet also could have had a greet career. But he just missed it.
Surcouf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
country flag fedalrock

fedalrock has a reputation beyond reputefedalrock has a reputation beyond reputefedalrock has a reputation beyond reputefedalrock has a reputation beyond reputefedalrock has a reputation beyond reputefedalrock has a reputation beyond reputefedalrock has a reputation beyond reputefedalrock has a reputation beyond reputefedalrock has a reputation beyond reputefedalrock has a reputation beyond reputefedalrock has a reputation beyond repute

Gasquet and Wawrinka. Gasquet has an amazing backhand an average forehand and still hasn't made the quarters of a Slam for almost 6 years. His mental strength deserts him EVERYTIME.
Wawrinka showed his class when he is on at AO vs Nole this year and almost blew Nole off the court with his backhand. Pity he can't maintain this
Old 04-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

The majority of the top 20 (and ex-top 20 for older players) are underachievers

Not sure I can single out one player.
Abel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

I also think Wawrinka. If he didn't spend most of his time inventing news and exotic ways to bend down for Nose and actually played tennis, he wouldn't have had such a muggy career.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Slacker

Also Dolgopolov; with his game he should be doing more than making loads of UEs all the time.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
country flag BroTree456

BroTree456 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree456 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree456 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree456 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree456 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree456 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree456 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree456 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree456 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree456 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree456 has a reputation beyond repute

i think murray is a huge underachiever. its crazy to think he only won just 1 slam with his talent