Allow users to explain context of post before warning/infracting/banning them. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute
Default Allow users to explain context of post before warning/infracting/banning them.

I feel that a lot of posts often get misunderstood by the moderators. It can be quite difficult to pick up on irony, sarcasm or even a simple joke online by simply reading the words and posters sometimes get infracted/banned for posts that really meant no harm and were clearly misinterpreted.

I feel like posters should be given a chance to explain the context/intended of the posts that get them infractions/bans, be it in public or in private via PM to a moderator.

For instance, posts in chat threads where people generally get along/are close to each other, they might jokingly insult each other and it shouldn't be simply be interpreted literally. While it may be more rare, it might also be the case in GM interactions.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allow users to explain context of post before warning/infracting/banning them.

Wouldn't every poster just claim that anything offensive they said was a joke and claim that its okay cuz 'everyone' knew. And even if it is a joke, is it appropriate to write some things? Probably not. It just seems like a cop out. There are things you cannot write, it is clear what they are so I don't see get why we can not just use a bit of effort and follow the rules.

Add to that is the practicality. Could you imagine, I PM you, asking your context, and you aren't interested in replying for two days. It gets long, now imagine there are 25 posts during the french open final for example.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allow users to explain context of post before warning/infracting/banning them.

Surely mods/admins should be able to use their common sense when decided whether something is meant as a joke or not? It's pretty obvious when some posts are totally serious and intend to offend/abuse.

However say for example I called Certinfy (a good friend of mine on here) a 'pathetic prick' as a joke, mods no doubt would warn/infract me for it.

And if a user doesn't reply within 1/2 days they should be banned anyway.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Wouldn't every poster just claim that anything offensive they said was a joke and claim that its okay cuz 'everyone' knew. And even if it is a joke, is it appropriate to write some things? Probably not. It just seems like a cop out. There are things you cannot write, it is clear what they are so I don't see get why we can not just use a bit of effort and follow the rules.
Yep. Even if you're joking about another poster and it's OK for him/her, you must remember there are also other posters here who may feel it insulting. And I doubt anybody gets banned only because of this. Maybe posters should be given a chance to explain their posts before banning though.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your suggestion.

Users will continue to be warned, infracted and banned for their posts. As has always been the case, if they disagree with an event, they can do one of the following:

1) PM a moderator or admin
2) Email the MTF address: askmtfmods@gmail.com

The appeal procedure will allow for changes to be made if necessary.
Closed Thread