Gonzo Articles and News - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #76
country flag olimpo

olimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gonzo Articles and News

Thank you so much GonzoFan I agree with Val you are an

Much appreciated

And thanks for letting us know about the jajajajaja as I have always been wondering what it means
olimpo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #77
country flag Vamos Feńa

Vamos Feńa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos Feńa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos Feńa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos Feńa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos Feńa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos Feńa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos Feńa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos Feńa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos Feńa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos Feńa has a reputation beyond reputeVamos Feńa has a reputation beyond repute

OMG thanks to everyone who find all these articles about Feńa!!! You guys are superb!
And Feńa damn he is just fantastic and cute I've never thought there are such persons in sport who are still an ordinary people! Feńa you're simply cool and great!!

Last edited by Vamos Feńa : 08-21-2005 at 11:13 AM.
Vamos Feńa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:33 PM   #78
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I don't get so much time on the Net lately but I read an article today I thought you might be interested it..............it says Feña and Nico Massu will be playing an exhibition together against the Bryan Brothers on 14th September. I tried to paste the link to the article, but it wouldn't work but here it is anyway............from yesterday's El Mercurio":-

EXHIBICIÓN:

Ya hay escenario

Definitivamente, el Coliseo Monumental de La Serena será el recinto que acogerá la exhibición que jugarán Fernando González y Nicolás Massú ante los gemelos Bob y Mike Bryan. El lance se disputará a las 22 horas del 14 de septiembre.

And I never really knew what "jajaja" was either - so thanks for the explanation! Here in England we would just write "hahaha" - so I guess it means the same!!!!

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:11 PM   #79
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Gonzo Articles and News

Thanks Rosie.
Can Feña and Nico beat them? Watch more Wesley Moodie/Stephen Huss doubles matches boys.

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:35 PM   #80
country flag olimpo

olimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Rosie, nice to see you again here

I've heard about that exhibition which will take place also to celebrate the gold medal again after it has been a year now which is BTW exactly 1 year today. It was the 21st of August 2004 when Fernando first won the Bronze and afterwards with Nico the first Gold ever for Chile in the Olympic history

Last edited by olimpo : 08-21-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:20 AM   #81
country flag GonzoFan

GonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond repute

"The day that we retire we will continue being friends"

The santiaguino (Gonzo) and the viñamarino (Nico) have developed at the same time their careers in the circuit and in Athens they shared the joy to touch the sky. Since a year of the historical performance in Greece, the Chileans emphasize the special friendship that they have in the circuit.

The destinies of Fernando González and Nicolas Massú have always been connected. They won their first tournament together in the US Open (doubles) in 1997 and later they played their first ATP Final against each other, in Orlando. Together they took Chile to won twice the ARAG World Team Cup and took back the country to the World Groups of Davis Cup, after 20 years.

If all the lived in Athens was already special, the fact of to have obtained together the historical triumph made it still more special. On the side was the friend of always, with whom has been burning phases almost parallel form in the very impersonal ATP circuit. "Of course that obtaining the medals with Nicolas made everything still more spectacular. I consider Nico my friend. In bad moments I know I can trust in him. We grew together, we know ourselves since we were 10 years-old and we began to burn phases together. First he gave a jump, later I gave It, later I passed him, later Nico took another advance and that's the way we have been doing in a long time and today we are really even ", says González.

The friendship in the circuit ATP

After Athens it was speculated a "separation" of Nico and Feña's friendship. Although Massú confesses that "in a while that could have been thought", today assures that the relation is close as always. "My relation with Fernando is since we were childs. We are the only two Chileans that are in the main circuit of the ATP, we always see each other and it would have been really bad if we weren't friends. He helps me and I help him. Perhaps in the tournaments we do not have much time to share. Each one is worried about our responsibilities. There are tournaments that we going to eat almost every day together and in other tournaments we don't even see. Our friendship is good and everything walks very well ", explains the "Vampire". González says that Massú is a confidence person, in which I can trust. "I tell him things and he tells things to me. Things that we don't talk about with other tennis players. For example, if we do not see in a long time, as soon as we return to be in a tournament together we called immediately. We counted the details of what has happened in Chile (laughs), things about our friends and all that. The day that we retire I know that we will continue being friends, because in addition our families are very united ", comments the "Bomber of the Queen".

"We have a very sincere friendship and we say everything. For example If he says to me that he cannot play doubles, I respect that. In Kitzbuhel he was a little injured in the shoulder and there was no problem that he did not play. That is good ", explains Massú.

Clearly everything changes when they have to face each other on the court. "If we played against each other we threw a ball in the face to tell you something, because it is part of the game. But outside the court everything is very different ", says González.

Richard Gasquet/Tomas Berdych/Marat Safin/Tommy Haas/Rafael Nadal/Andy Roddick/Marcos Baghdatis
All the chilean players and some others

"Just give 100 percent.
And that's not just in tennis or sports; that's in life.
If you give 100 percent, you'll have no regrets."
Lleyton Hewitt

Last edited by GonzoFan : 08-22-2005 at 05:31 AM.
GonzoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:45 AM   #82
country flag olimpo

Thanks once again GonzoFan .....there's been much for you to translate recently
Old 08-22-2005, 10:56 AM   #83
country flag Papakori

Papakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond repute

thanks gonzofan
Papakori is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:27 AM   #84
country flag GonzoFan

GonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by olimpo
Thanks once again GonzoFan .....there's been much for you to translate recently
You're welcome
and I'm not done yet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambillfan
thanks gonzofan
you're welcome

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Before playing against Dent I was destroyed"

Fernando González remembers the magic week in Athens

The "Bomber of the Queen" went to Greece with the promise to give a medal to Chile and brought two. Today he values all the effort that did in the Olympic Games, where in two days he went from the absolute frustration to the total joy. The Chilean gives his vision of how he saw the campaign of Nicolas Massú and says that he was happy with what he obtained, although for him everything wasn't perfect, as it was for the viñamarino (Nico).

Fernando González does not hide the feelings that lived in Athens. For him it was one week "almost perfect", that only came to ruin that painful defeat in semifinals against the American Mardy Fish. He coexisted with the pain, but also with the satisfaction to recover from the failure. Today, when a year has passed since along with Nicolas Massú reached the glory in Greece, remembers the best seven days of his sport life

Since a year of the Olympic Games in Athens. Do you think that the unique opportunity perhaps of have won a Gold Medal in singles escaped?

You always want more in tennis, unless you are the best one of all times. But as the things occurred, everything was very weird. I lost a match against Mardy Fish that I must have won calmly. This, while "Nico" won and I slept with him in the same room. I was really sad, because I wasn't going to play the final. And although the following day I had a very important match for the bronze, but at that moment I didn't care about it. I was very bitter, because I could no longer reach gold. In addition against Fish I had a problem with my ankle and I did not know how it was going to react the next day, when I had to play single and doubles.

And that sensation until when did last?

Until five minutes before entering to the court to play against (Taylor) Dent I was destroyed. I didn't want to know nothing about that match. But on television I saw a podio before leaving to play and said: "Well, if I win I can be up there, if I lose, I can't and I have to stay down of it". There I saw that the difference was big between winning and losing the bronze.

At that time, the prize was great, because before leaving to play in Athens you said that you went to get a medal and you already had the one of bronze in singles and added one in doubles...

I said that I was going to gain a medal, did not know of which color, but I went with that goal. Those were my first Games and one never knows what can happen. For the next ones I will be 28 years old and, if I have bad luck to be injured, perhaps I won't be able to go to others.

Maybe for that reason, perhaps, you had the frustration of haven't gained the gold medal, as Massu did it...

I went to get a medal and brought two. Obviously one gets excited in the way and mainly because of the effort that it would have been awesome to gain everything.

The doubles were a prize more unexpected than the singles?

I would have liked to won them more easily (he laughs). The day of the doubles was something incredible. I won the bronze and later the gold in the doubles. I had never been so tired in my life, but I had never been so happy either. That day was perfect.

And for the next Games, how do you see yourself?

I will go for a medal. But that's in 4 years and many things can happen. I want to be there, because it is one week in four years. And hopefully I can do something important again.

Richard Gasquet/Tomas Berdych/Marat Safin/Tommy Haas/Rafael Nadal/Andy Roddick/Marcos Baghdatis

"Just give 100 percent.
Lleyton Hewitt

Last edited by GonzoFan : 08-22-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:09 PM   #85
country flag GonzoFan

I also want to say that I just finish reading an interview with Nico Massú where they told him

"- I see that it is the medal in singles the one that you want more, because you have only spoken obout that one."

and he said :

"- No, the gold with Fernando does not have price. I won and I did it with a friend with whom we have burned all the phases together. That has a great value."

I think that what Nico said it's just amazing and beautiful and shows us that their friendship it's real and beautiful

A BIG TO NICO !!!!!

"Just give 100 percent.
Lleyton Hewitt

Last edited by GonzoFan : 08-22-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:55 PM   #86
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute

I love remember the Olympics ... Thanks Feña for your fight!

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:45 PM   #87
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Gonzo Articles and News

Before Olympics I haven't known about him at all.Thanks TV broadcasted the match and let me see him to beat the duck in Olympics. Even the final result was not totally perfect as he thinks, it's so nice to know a great player.I do like his style and attitude, he drives me to be crazy.

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #88
country flag enqvistfan

enqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an interview published in the French Tennis Mag in 2003. The interview is very long so I'll post parts everyday !!

INTERVIEW WITH... FERNANDO GONZALEZ

<< When I was a child, I dreamt to play the Davis Cup for my country >>

He has been one of the biggest revelations of the year 2002 coming back from the 135th to the 17th in the world ranking. He won two tournaments, 1/8 F at the Australian Open and quarter finalist at the US OPEN, Fernando Gonzalez, 22, is the spearhead of the south-American tennis full of vitality.

Following in Marcelo's Rios wake, Chile discovered this new prince of the clay who is performant on the other surfaces, as he showed in the Basel final (on carpet). He's coached by the former player from Argentina, Horacio de la Peña, Gonzalez is not the kind of man who plays finely, his game is based on powerful groundstrokes. What can we say about his powerful forehand, qualified as "nuclear power" by Pete Sampras, who has been dominated by the player from Santiago last year in Miami ?

In this interview, Fernando talks about his dreams, his childhood, and his famous forehand, he said he could "kill someone" with it. He also mentions his relationship with Marcelo Rios with whom he'd like to win the Davis Cup. Before the start of the clay season, let's read the interview of a possible favourite of the next French championships.

TM (Tennis Magazine) and FG (Fernando Gonzalez)

TM : In 2002, you came from the 135th to the 17th rank in the atp ranking, thanks to two victories on the tour and one quarter final at the US OPEN. How has your life changed ?

FG : Before, I played and I came back at the hotel, that's all. Now, there are more requests, mainly from the medias. But, I'm very happy because it's thanks to my good results. Personally, it doesn't change anything. My life is still the same. I still have my friends in Chile, even if I have good friends on the tour.

TM : We are used to see the latin players good on clay. You, you play well on fast courts as well or in indoors, we saw that in Basel where you played the final...

FG : It's true that I made a very good season on hard courts but the two tournaments I won in 2002 were on clay. I used to think that my best surface was clay but I'm starting to think that I prefer hard courts (smile) !

TM : How do you explain that you play so well on fast courts ?

FG : I think i have the game which suits well to that kind of surface. I made some progress with my return, a lot of things have changed in my tennis

TM : If you have to introduce yourself to the French audience, what would you say ?

FG : I'd say that I won Roland-Garros juniors, 4 years ago. I'd add that I love hitting the ball as strong as possible (smile). It's my game, it's like that (thinking). I have a lot of good memories in Roland-Garros. I won the tournament in the single and in the double, each time against Juan-Carlos Ferrero. For me, it's the biggest tournament in the world. Moreover, players from South-America and Spain absolutely want to win in Paris because they grew up on clay. It's our common dream.

TM : Does it mean that when you were a child, you watched Roland-Garros on television ?

FG : I have always dreamt of Roland-Garros in front of my tv. Today, my dream is to win the only grand slam tournament on clay. But, I'd be happy to win one of the other grand slams, but for us, the latinos, Roland-Garros is special.

TM : When did you start to play tennis ?

FG : I was 5 years old. My father used to play with his friends. So, I came with him, at La Reina's club, in Santiago, and I started to take lessons. But, at that period, I was playing football (soccer) a lot. I loved both sports but I prefered playing tennis.

TM : Why did you prefer to play tennis instead of football ; football is the number 1 sport in Chile ?

In tennis, there's only you on the court. No need to count on the others to play well to win. I like tennis more because it's simple : if you play well, you win, if you don't play well, you loose. It depends only on you.

TM : Do you still like soccer ?

FG : Yes but I can't really practrice because I don't want to be injured. But, I love going to the stadiums and watch the matches.

TM : Since you started to play until now, what happened ?

FG : I have never stopped (smile) ! Until the age of 8, I've been to the tennis school, but I took private lessons. At the age of 12, I left to Miami and I spent 3 years. My father fought that it would be easier in Miami for me to travel, because he wouldn't have the money to pay me the trips from Chile once or twice per year. Moreover, I started to play very well and as we are a small country, I didn't have many opponents. The last reason why I went to Miami it's because my parents wanted to proctect me from the various requests from the medias.

TM : It's at that period that you started to travel more ?

FG : Yes, as everything worked well for me, I travelled more. I even lost at the final of the "Petit As" [French tournaments for young players], in Tarbes, against Ferrero, again ! But at that period, I had no private coach because it was expensive, so with other players, we shared him. His name was Marco Scolliva. Then, when I became pro, I've worked with Raul Viver for 1.5 years, and then, I stayed several months without any coach. Then, I started to work with Horacio.

TM : How was the first meeting with Horacio ?

FG : In fact, I've known him for a long time. I knew him as a player and I knew that he was a coach. In Roland-Garros, in 2001, Horacio told me "We're going to see, maybe we can make something together". I've thought for 2 or 3 months. I was thinking to a lot of persons and finally, I thought that Horacio was the person, so I went to Buenos Aires. We start to work together just after the 2001 US OPEN. We've been to a "challenger", and we immediately had good results. He came with me on different tournaments and in december, I worked a lot my physical condition to start in january in the best conditions. Since I am with Horacio, I changed two or three things in my game and the things are getting better.

TM : What kind of things did you improve ?

FG : My backhand mainly. It's better, more efficient. One thing changed as well, is that all my former coaches said "don't hit the ball so strong", Horacio, says "Hit as stronger as you can, it's your game". But, I can sometimes make drop shots (smile)

TM : How do you plan the training with him ?

FG : When I have one or two weeks off, I go to Buenos Aires, where Horacio lives, and I practrice there. But, in fact, we make the biggest work during the tournaments. If I win, everything is ok, but if I loose, We immediately work again to improve the things which doesn't work

TM : Could you say that Horacio became a friend ?

FG : Outside the court, we try to have our own lives because it's tough to live 24h/24 with the same person. But, we have a very good relationship without being "close friends". Because when you are close friends, you absolutely want to spend more time with this person and I think that it could make some problems between a player and a coach.

Fernando Gonzalez & Carlos Moya

Para siempre Gonzo

Still supporting you, vamos

Last edited by enqvistfan : 09-03-2005 at 03:10 PM.
enqvistfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:10 PM   #89
country flag olimpo

Thanks so much for the translation Val I'm looking forward to the next part
Old 09-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #90
country flag enqvistfan

enqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond repute

[Second part of the interview]

TM : You share Horacio de la Peña with another young talented player, Jose Acasuso from Argentina. With him, would you say that there's a friendship ?

FG : Yes, with Jose, we are really good friends. He is 2 years younger than me but I don't remember exactly since how many years I know him : several years, maybe 6. In 2002, we often travelled together. We have met 4 times.

TM : A few minutes ago, you said that you worked with Horacio, you improved your backhand. But, your forehand is your best stroke. Pete Sampras says that it's a nuclear power and Sjeng Schalken says that it's a road roller. Some even say that it's at the moment, the most powerful forehand on the atp tour...

FG : It's true that when it's in the court, it's perfect but... I could kill someone (laugh) ! The forehand is my best stroke. I love hitting them all and try to win matches only with this stroke. I have always had this stroke, but now I missed less points with it, that what makes the difference. When I was a junior, I had the feeling that my ball didn't enter in the court (smile). Finally, I like that, that people say that I'm an "explosive" (or spark) player.

TM : Early, you have been passionnated by tennis. Until when have you studied ?

FG : I've been to school until the age of 14 then I went to a school with other persons practricing sports. They helped me a lot cause they knew how it was, to travel and study at the same time and to not be able to attend to the courses.

TM : And what did you like at school ?

FG : Nothing (smile). No, but it's true that when I was a child, I was only thinking about playing tennis and everybody told me at school. During my holidays, I was playing tennis. I don't think I'd do other thing.

TM : Today, on the atp tour, you face the best players in the world. Who are, according to you, the toughest players to beat ?

FG : When Marat Safin plays good, I think he's unbeatable and his forehand is as powerful as mine. Andy Roddick has an incredible serve. There are other competitive players at the moment. And, L. Hewitt... He runs everywhere...

TM : In Cincinnati, in the semis, you pushed him until the 3rd set

FG : Yes, but he's very tough to play because if you can't make the ball advance fast, he's everywhere and he gives the feeling that the court is smaller. He has just hit the ball from one side, he's already on the other side. You have to hit harder and played in the corners if you want to win points. He's very impressive. He's an excellent athlete, a real fighter and it's for those reasons that he's number 1.

TM : When you were a child, your favourite player was Boris Becker. For which reason ?

FG : Before all, it was because he had a lot of charism. I remember of his first victories in Wimbledon, I had 5 or 6 years old. I was at home in Chile, I was watching him on tv and jumped and made incredible volleys. I immediately liked his way of play and I still like him today but I have a different game.

TM : Players who made the experience, say that playing and winning the Davis Cup is an incredible feeling. Is it an important competition for you ?

FG : YEs, I was going to the stadium with my father to attend to the Davis Cup matches. It was the glorious period of Gildemeister, and I was only starting to play tennis. I dreamt to be there, in this stadium, and play for Chile. I was thinking : "It's what I really want to do ". When the D Day arrived, the first time I played for Chile, against Argentina, I was moved. I was 17.

TM : You weren't born at that period, but in 1976, Chile played at home, a Davis Cup final vs Italy. Is it an important memory for your family ?

FG : Chile lost 1-4. Of course, I wasn't born, but my father was there and he told me how it was. Italy had a strong team with Panatta, who was at the top. In 1975, the Chileans went to the semies, they lost to Sweden. But, the players arrived the day before the beginning of the matches, due to political problems in Chile.

TM : In Chile, tennis is a real tradition, Chile used to have great players..

FG : Ayala, Fillol, Gildemeister, Rios... Yes, it's true, tennis is very popular in Chile, especially since the DC final. But, from Gildemeister till Rios, about 8 years without a good player. And, now, we are three who are succeeding : Marcelo Rios, Nicolas Massu and myself. We are still young, and we have the time to make something in Davis Cup

TM : How do you explain the good health of the Chilean tennis ?

FG : You have to be good and you have to work hard to become good. It's the secret

TM : It's the secret of the South-American tennis as well ?

FG : It's true that everything is ok now for the "latinos" and especially for the players from Argentina : there are about 7 in the top 50. Six years ago, the south-americans were only two in the top 100. Today, we are about 15. It's easier to travel for us. We didn't have a lot of money a few years ago due to our political problems. Now, life is less tough, we can easily travel.

TM : You are very close to Chile ?

FG :I love my country. And, if there's a place I'd like to get old, it's at home. I regret to not be able to spend a lot of time there at the moment, because the most important thing in life is to be close to one's family and friends. But the funny thing is that when I think to Chile, I often think of the tennis courts. When I was a child, the club where I learnt tennis was at 20 meters from my home. Today, they rebuilt the Reina club further and it's not like before.

TM : So, your victory in 2002, in Viña del Mar, Chile, must be one of your best memories ?

FG : Winning a grand slam is the most important thing but winning this title remains one of my best memories so far. Because i was playing at home, in front of my family and friends, the stadium was crowded, and cheered up me by screaming my name. At the end of the match, i wore the soccer outfit from the Chilean Team, it was an incredible experience.

TM : Could you say a few words about your family ?

FG : I have two sisters : one older than me, Patricia and one younger than me, Jessica. They both like tennis a lot but play just for fun. Patricia used to play for the university team of Miami and then North Carolina but she stopped. Jessica, goes to school and hits the ball. My mother, Patricia, plays for fun as well and my father, Fernando, has been the president of the Reina Club where i started to play. My mother doesn't work and my father is a businessman specialised in the flour mill. He has a lot of work, in Chile, we eat a lot of bread (laugh) !

TM : What are your hobbies when you don't play tennis ?

FG : I love surfing on the net. During the tournaments, I have my portable computer, I check my e-mails and I chat a lot. I'm crazy of computers, games etc.. I like writing e-mails to my friends in Chile. I can't do that everyday but I try whenever it's possible. With my family, we stay in touch by phone, everyday.

TM : When you walk in the stadiums or when you go to watch others matches, you often have your walkman. What kind of music do you listen ?

FG : I love that, music (smile) ! I listen every kind of music, but I love LA LEY, a very good Chilean band. But, I don't really have a favourite singer or a style of music I listen the most. There are too much singers I like, I can't really say that I have a favourite.

TM : A Chilean newspaper said that you were one of the most important bachelors. We can even read that you are "the best match" of Chile ?

FG : How do you know that ? (laugh) What can I answer ? I read that article as well, but they didn't contact me to write it. It's pleasant. If they want to write that I'm single and rich, no problem !!

TM : Is it easy with the girls, now, that you are famous and popular, and that people say many good things about you ?

FG : Oh no, it's never easy (laugh) ! But, it's funny to read what people write such things about me. I simply try to do my job, to play a good tennis, you know. According to me, you have to play well and have good results to have after, the attention of the medias outside the "sports" page. So, if they like to talk about me like that, why not.

TM : You are not the most popular player in Chile. There's also Marcelo Rios. Do you have a good relationship with him ?

FG : Good relations. We are not friends because I think that a friend, you don't search him, we make a friend by accident : we find eachother. So, we are not really friends with Marcelo, but we know eachother very well and for a long time. There is not rivalty between us, the Chilean newspapers wrote that. Sometimes, when we are both in Chile, we practrice together, we often eat and talk together, we spend good time.

TM : How is he with you ? Because he's know for his bad temper..

FG : People don't know all the different aspects of his personnality. He sometimes behaves strangely (smile), but when you meet him several times, you realize that he's a normal person. Maybe, it's a way to protect himself from the people he doesn't know.

TM : Marcelo said many good things about your tennis, he said that you were talentuous

FG : Really, he said that ? I didn't know. It moves me because I love watching him play. I remember when I was young and he was in the top 10. When I had the opportunity, I went to see him play, especially in Davis Cup. I love his game and I feel very fortunate to be able to practrice with him because he's a great player

TM : He has been number 1 in the world. And you, what is your goal ?

FG : My dream is to enter in the top 10 and to win a grand slam tournament.

TM : Which one ?

FG : No matter what !! But, Roland-Garros will remain my favourite

The interview is finished. Hope you enjoyed reading it

Fernando Gonzalez & Carlos Moya

Para siempre Gonzo

Still supporting you, vamos

Last edited by enqvistfan : 09-03-2005 at 05:51 PM.
enqvistfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote