Gonzo Articles and News - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-28-2005, 05:48 PM   #16
country flag enqvistfan

enqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gonzo Articles and News

Gonzalez Raises Chile's Profile Again
[From Wimbledon website]

Tuesday, 28 June, 2005

The last time a Chilean made it to the quarter-finals at Wimbledon, Mikhail Gorbachev was the leader of Soviet Russia, Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie had just won the Grammy for the best song of the year, "We are the World", and the United States under Ronald Reagan had become a debtor nation for the first time since 1914.

It was 1985 and a young man from Santiago by the name of Ricardo Acuna had raised the hopes of the South American nation. He made history by reaching the quarter-finals at Wimbledon only to lose in straight sets to Jimmy Connors. Acuna was never able to repeat that feat, nor have any of his countrymen before this year. Chileans stopped expecting from their tennis stars and Acuna's career-best performance became a fading memory.

But on Monday, 20 years after Acuna's quarter-final appearance at Wimbledon, another Chilean, Fernando Gonzalez, matched that feat and became the new hero of the nation.

"I am happy and I hope we don't have to wait for another 20 years," Gonzalez said after knocking out Russia's Mikhail Youzhny in straight sets to earn himself that quarter-final berth. The No.21 seed is in fine form at this year's Championships and has yet to drop a set. That may change in his quarter-final encounter where his opponent is the mighty top seed and defending champion, Roger Federer.

Realistically, Gonzalez's chances are slim but then tennis is a game that can turn around unpredictably. Moreover, given Gonzalez's track record in the past couple of years, he should at least be able to put up a gritty fight.

The 24-year-old reached the US Open quarter-finals in 2002 and was also a quarter-finalist at the French Open the following year. At the Athens Olympics last year, Gonzalez won gold in the doubles with Nicolas Massu along with a bronze in the singles. The Chilean has already bettered his Wimbledon record this year. His previous best achievement was reaching the third round last year.

"This is my best tournament so far," Gonzalez said of Wimbledon. "I am enjoying it. Federer will have to win his match but he will not have it easy. I will give him a tough match."

The Chilean's confidence is noteworthy especially given the fact that his first love is for clay courts and there are no real grass courts in his home country. He admits to having a little practice on synthetic grass used for football matches.

Written by Sajid Shaikh

Fernando Gonzalez & Carlos Moya

Para siempre Gonzo

Still supporting you, vamos
enqvistfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #17
country flag enqvistfan

enqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond repute

This morning, i bought the French sport newspaper "l'équipe" and there was a tiny paragraph about Fernando. They said that Fernando did better than Rios, he is the first Chilean to arrive so far in this tournament. He's the only player who won his matches in 3 sets and interesting thing (according to the newspaper), he only served and came to the net once. So, they wonder if he can have the same tactic against Roger. We'll see....

Val

Para siempre Gonzo

Old 06-30-2005, 10:19 AM   #18
country flag GonzoFan

GonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond repute

This article is from the ATP Tennis website (spanish)

Fernando Gonzalez's tour in London

Fernando González was traveling through London on Monday, accompanied by a team of the BBC in the prior of its encounter with Roger Federer. The Chilean tennis player was accompanied by his coach, the former Argentine tennis player Horacio de la Peña and his physical coach, Carlos Burgos. "I Always it wanted to have a time to know the cities where I am playing and London is a great city. It is a great way to know the city. I have enjoyed a lot my state here, because besides I have played in a great level. I expect to be able to continue with this, although I will face the best player of the moment, Roger Federer, in the next match. It will be really incredible to be able to conquer it and the truth is that I do not have anything to lose against him".
Gonzalez also was in classical places of the English capital and traveled through in a car the immediacies of the Big Ben and the headquarters of the Parliament.

You can see this article in Gonzalez Tour in London
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gonzalez_london1.jpg (9.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg londoneye_gonzo1.jpg (48.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg londoneye_gonzo2.jpg (49.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg londoneye_gonzo3.jpg (42.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by GonzoFan : 06-30-2005 at 10:23 AM.
GonzoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:52 AM   #19
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

lovely pics

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:55 AM   #20
country flag olimpo

olimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks GonzoFan Fernando looks very cute
olimpo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:23 AM   #21
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the great pics. Nice to know he enjoyed himself in my home city

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:23 PM   #22
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the translation Gonzofan I saw the piece on the ATP site but can't read spanish.

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #23
country flag enqvistfan

Thanks a lot for the interesting article and great pics, he looks great :-)

And do U think we can see the video somewhere on the BBC website ?

Talking about videos, have you seen the one after the Olympics on the Chilean website ? It's about his carreer till the Olympics, it's a long video and very interesting.

Val

Para siempre Gonzo

Last edited by enqvistfan : 06-30-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:52 AM   #24
country flag GonzoFan

GonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Gonzo Articles and News

Here is an article from La Tercera (Internet Translation)

González is conscious that his own are the fast courts

The Chilean returned yesterday (tuesday) to the training along with his coach, Horacio de la Peña, after a brief rest.

"Here I make more damage with my arms and they notice except my weak points", argued the first national racket, that will return to the Tour within 10 days in the match of Amersfoort, Holland.

The grass passed the account to Fernando González. The fact to have arrived in Wimbledon at quarterfinals in a little friendly surface produced indirect effect to him and their knees suffered with the wearing down. "It is necessary to bend down more of the normal thing and with the brakings the knees are hurt much", commented the Chilean, who in any case confirms that the medical controls that took place in the last days did not throw anything of care.

And thus, already with the filed memory of its better performance in the English grass, the first national racket returned to the training in its natural surface, the clay, along with his coach Horacio de la Peña, in the Club Park Tennis of Las Condes.

It was a brief training of González, that came from a pair of days of rest and that a little to their grief will have to return to the courts within 10 days in Amersfoort (Holland) and later Kitzbühel (Austria).

"I never thought that it would have that yield about Wimbledon and the ideal had been to jump to North America and not to return immediately to the clay. But I was already written down in those tournaments and to where I go, I make it to win ", commented the "Bomber of La Reina", conscious that its yield improvement of obvious way on fast courts. Without going further, this year the only title gained it in cement (Auckland) and obtained the best result in the English Grand Slam.

"That is a fact. What happens is that my arms (serve and forehand (right)) make more damage in fast courts. And on the other hand my weak points, like my backhand, notice less ", commented González, that during the second semester does not have much points to defend. His maximum defenses must face them in Amersfoort (120 points, final) and in Cincinnati (15 of August), where it will have to add what he won last year through the semifinals in the Olympic Games of Athens (205 points). "To me I would like to defend every week, because that means that I have walked well, but, there are no great defenses in the second semester and that allows to think that I can finish above in the ranking, hopefully between the 10 first", says the santiaguino.

After two clay matches, González will jump to North America. The Chilean will play the Masters Series of Montreal, Cincinnati, in addition to New Heaven and the U.S. Open. This is the great bet of the second semester, since in addition it does not defend points.

You can see this article in La Tecera (is in spanish)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0,,1_147004646_246,00.jpg (10.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #25
country flag enqvistfan

Thanx you Gonzo fan for the latest news

Val

Para siempre Gonzo

Old 07-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #26
country flag GonzoFan

Here is another article from La Tercera (internet translation)

González faces the rest of the season without worrying much about the numbers

After days of rest, Fernando González retook his tennis work. Preparing game to Amersfoort, to the "Bomber of La Reina" does not worry much to him that, in which reduces of the year, it must defend few points. Perhaps if only that it is questioned a little is to start off for Europe to play two weeks on clay, knowing that soon it must go to North America to compete in fast courts. Clear that their doubts arose only from the good yield reached in the British Open. Perhaps "Of to have known that it was going to walk so well in Wimbledon, it could have chosen to tournaments in cement field", reflects number one of Chile.

The training under the orders of Horacio de la Peña was intense. Neither González nor Paul Capdeville, their new fellow worker, had breathings. Everything to arrive well at which comes.

"It is necessary to return to feel well in the clay. But we are customary to adapt us fast to the changes of surface ", says.

So far, the option does not worry to him to put in top ten, knowing that it has little to lose during the semester. "After Athens, the last year I did little more. But more than certain ranking, it worries to me to feel to me well playing, and I am enjoying it. From that, the numbers arrive by themselves". More in a year than he has been even, with good results. "To walk well in Wimbledon, in addition, gives confidence for the future ", summarizes González, conscious that the rest of the year could imply a great harvest for him.

Gonzalez is very optimistic respect to its calendar in the second semester, because it defends few points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0,,1_148295672_246,00.jpg (15.4 KB, 19 views)

Richard Gasquet/Tomas Berdych/Marat Safin/Tommy Haas/Rafael Nadal/Andy Roddick/Marcos Baghdatis
All the chilean players and some others

"Just give 100 percent.
And that's not just in tennis or sports; that's in life.
If you give 100 percent, you'll have no regrets."
Lleyton Hewitt

Last edited by GonzoFan : 07-12-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #27
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Gonzo Articles and News

Thanks GonzoFan.

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:02 PM   #28
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute

Feña is ready to rock the world, vamos!!!

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:34 PM   #29
country flag SuperRevelation

SuperRevelation has a reputation beyond reputeSuperRevelation has a reputation beyond reputeSuperRevelation has a reputation beyond reputeSuperRevelation has a reputation beyond reputeSuperRevelation has a reputation beyond reputeSuperRevelation has a reputation beyond reputeSuperRevelation has a reputation beyond reputeSuperRevelation has a reputation beyond reputeSuperRevelation has a reputation beyond reputeSuperRevelation has a reputation beyond reputeSuperRevelation has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the articles

SuperRevelation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #30
country flag olimpo

olimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the internet translation of an article from canal13 with quotes of Fernando and there's also a short video clip of that interview.

Link to original article in Spanish and video clip

http://deporte.canal13.cl/deportes/h...is/227629.html

González: "I fight every day to be better"

The racket number one of Chile works to all machine for its return to the circuit in the European clay, that will take place in Amersfoort, Holland. Although it recognizes that the adaptation to the clay has been hard at first, has confidence in which it can walk well in his next challenges. Near the 17 hours the intense practice of Fernando González in Park finalizes Tennis (the Counts), where all the work of Horacio de la Pena centralizes. The Bomber of Reina almost does not reach to leave one of the fields, when tens of children approach to request autographs and to demonstrate to him the affection to him that they have to him. With a bulletproof patience, time even occurs to share with one fans that shows to him to an enormous album of photos that begins to see without hardship "Nor I I have that", it explains Stone Hand indicating one of the images. Finally - and after the rigor photos the Chilean occurs time to talk with us. On the affection that to him the people profess and the moments who dedicate to them, he explains that, "whenever I can I do it (to sign autographs). I also was young and was in a tennis school. Also it watched at somebody like an example and if I can give them a little my time I feel very contented to do it ".

As far as its sporadic visits to the country, González told that, "which I more like to come for is here to be with my family and my friends, besides to physically rest a little. Also this time occurred to the time to prepare to me well for which it comes ". On the impact that has meant to happen of the grass to the clay, the Olympic medallista told that, "I take like ten days training in clay. He is a little difficult in the beginning, because after to have played a month in grass he is a little complicated, but already I have been several days and arriving there (Holland) with the first parties it is far better going to be ". But after its pass by Europe, the circuit returns to a quick surface, with two Masters Series and the U.S. Open. For those challenges, González at least explains that the readjustment will last, "one week. After Kitzbühel there is one week free and there I am going away to train to Miami on fast field and goes to be important to rest and to arrive with many desire to Montreal ".
olimpo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote