Nole Chat Part 4 - THE EXAM THREAD!!! nerds inside, some survivors too. - Page 151 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #2251
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Titiless Nole Chat Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
And do you know how much alcohol in their system? Lots of Chinese wines are over 50% alcohol. And when they drink, they drink it like water.

My first job in Hong Kong, I worked for a company that import lots of machines from Japan. My boss talked about his business meeting there was quite eye opening. He was in a corporate conference room. The really big one with a HUGE oval table that sits 20-30 people. Basically, by the end of the meeting, the table was fully covered by empty alcohol bottles. And they are not beer bottles.
Hm... don't know about Chinese, but both Korean/Japanese wine is pretty weak. Anyway, see this:

Quote:
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), the majority of Asian are deficient in an enzyme called aldehyde dehydrogenase. The enzyme is part of a vital process that digests alcohol. Without the enzyme, Asians begin to "glow" in a matter of minutes.

The unpleasant reactions and even physiological reactions occur even when consuming small amounts of alcohol. Intoxication occurs more quickly in Asians than in other ethnic groups.

Research from NIAAA suggests 25 percent to 40 percent of Japanese, 25 percent of Han Chinese and 15 percent to 30 percent of Koreans are affected with the deficiency and is less common among Malayo-Polynesian groups and other natives to the Pacific Rim. The genetic deficiency of aldehyde dehydrogenase means low tolerance levels to alcohol because of the inability to process it as swiftly as others.
http://dailyuw.com/archive/2003/03/1...d#.UYAmMsqulyE
http://www.yalescientific.org/2011/0...glow%E2%80%9D/
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”

Last edited by Time Violation : 04-30-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #2252
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Hm... don't know about Chinese, but both Korean/Japanese wine is pretty weak. Anyway, see this:

http://dailyuw.com/archive/2003/03/1...d#.UYAmMsqulyE
This is the deficiency that many Native Americans have. I would like to know the percentage. It makes alcohol devastating for them. Many Native American reservations such as the Navajos ban alcohol from the reservation, but that creates other problems too. When a reservation is quite large as is the Navajo Reservation, it can be difficult for someone living deep inside the reservation to obtain alcohol.

Edit: So, looking at the actual scientific literature, I find I am wrong. While 40% of South American Indians have this deficiency, apparently the incidence in North American Indians is much lower.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1684787/

I would love to get a hold of this issue.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh301/3-4.htm

I feel myself getting drawn into the rabbit hole of exploring addictions, and although it's interesting, I really don't want to be involved in it anymore. It's ultimately very depressing for me.

Last edited by star : 04-30-2013 at 09:02 PM.
star is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #2253
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Alcohol is highly overrated. I barely drink, and can still have a good time, always, without it. Well, I don't hate alcohol, just prefer to drink it to appreciate the taste, not get drunk.

GOOD LUCK IN UNRETIREMENT JOHNNY GROOVE
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #2254
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
I think Michael lives in the Netherlands, .

I don't know if I would make it in Serbia. : lol:

btw, I have a great book recommend that it's a true story about the rescue of allied airmen from Serbia in WWII. The Forgotten 500. Great stuff. War, intrigue, romance, derringer do, the book has it all.
No, T.V. lives on the international space station with Heya. He's cagey but insiders have confirmed that's where they reside

You seem to have an interest in a wide variety of subjects. Did you major in History? Or, am I asking too many questions? :shy:

I loaned out that book on the balkans you mentioned. So many are biased or just plain inaccurate. The funniest ones are usually written by foreigners. We'll see...

DJOKOCOASTER
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #2255
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Who wouldn't want to hang out with Heya? If it turns out Aliens did visit Earth, we'll already know they are not fans of Roddick nor Fed
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #2256
country flag PedroMarquess

PedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Who wouldn't want to hang out with Heya? If it turns out Aliens did visit Earth, we'll already know they are not fans of Roddick nor Fed
Heya was a fan of Roddick, a certain swedish girl told me.

Ferrer http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...rom-his-iphone
PedroMarquess is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #2257
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

I am Han Chinese. I definitely lack the enzyme. But I don't know that 25% is accurate or not. I grew up in HK and most of the people there are Han Chinese. We frequently had banquets with 200-500 people and over the years, I hardly saw anyone drunk publicly. And in most banquets, alcohol flew freely and mostly were beer and brandy. May be those who are like me stayed away or they don't drink publicly if that's the case. Most of the guys I knew (in HK) could drink a lot and you would not even notice they drank. A few got drunk easily like me but they were the minority. Comparing to those I knew in North America, I saw lots more drunk than in HK.
Lee is online now View My Blog!  
Old 04-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #2258
Slacker

Well, it all depends. Even if it's 30 or 40%, that's still far enough from 100%. Also if it's a banquet and people are eating, it's not the same as when someone drinks on an empty stomach. I remember my cousin's wedding party and a big guy who drank three bottles of scotch in the matter of hours and didn't even blink, but he ate a lot as well
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #2259
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am Han Chinese. I definitely lack the enzyme. But I don't know that 25% is accurate or not. I grew up in HK and most of the people there are Han Chinese. We frequently had banquets with 200-500 people and over the years, I hardly saw anyone drunk publicly. And in most banquets, alcohol flew freely and mostly were beer and brandy. May be those who are like me stayed away or they don't drink publicly if that's the case. Most of the guys I knew (in HK) could drink a lot and you would not even notice they drank. A few got drunk easily like me but they were the minority. Comparing to those I knew in North America, I saw lots more drunk than in HK.
I'm convinced that most of the Chinese drivers in the Toronto area driving while impaired (DUI). Maybe it's an urban legend. Maybe they're non-Han.

DJOKOCOASTER
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #2260
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post

I loaned out that book on the balkans you mentioned. So many are biased or just plain inaccurate. The funniest ones are usually written by foreigners. We'll see...
You loaned it out?

The book is more about an incident than it is about the balkans. The airmen were downed inside Serbia and rescued by Serbians. I think where the book is biased is about this resistance leader who is definitely romanticized, but still, one can have sympathy for someone who ended upon the wrong side (then) of history. The book is based on the recollection of the people taking part. Definitely not a history of the Balkans or anything.

Yes, I majored in history but then became a lawyer. Lawyer's are notoriously nosy and most of them are bookworms too.

Quote:
I think there are studies showing that people who have less of a sensitivity to alcohol are more likely to become alcoholics. People who feel the effects of alcohol easily, don't have the same propensity. This is supposedly because the more people are able to tolerate, the more they drink and then the more their system is habituated to the alcohol. This is also related to the metabolism. If a person doesn't metabolize alcohol quickly, the system is more marinated, if you will, in alcohol for a longer time. You can find articles about this on line.

Scientific examination of alcoholism runs a bit behind studies on other drug addiction, I think.

Just a little story. One time we had a woman who was an alcoholic show up in court around 9 in the morning. We found out by accident that she was .124 and none of us could tell it. She didn't slur her words. She was steady on her feet. She was able to address the court and not show that she was inebriated. Of course, this woman had much higher blood alcohol levels at other times. Finally, she died of an alcohol overdose. It was very sad. She was a lovely young woman with a 6 year old son.

Last edited by star : 05-01-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #2261
Slacker

Quote:
Scientific examination of alcoholism runs a bit behind studies on other drug addiction, I think.
Makes one wonder doesn't it? It's one of the worst drugs out there and it's still taken pretty lightly.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #2262
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
I'm convinced that most of the Chinese drivers in the Toronto area driving while impaired (DUI). Maybe it's an urban legend. Maybe they're non-Han.
They are just bad drivers? Actually, lots of Chinese in Greater-Toronto area are from HK, so likely Han Chinese But, this is my non-Scientific conclusion I have concerning those drivers. My husband, my brother-in-law, and many of my male friends in Calgary who are from HK, they kind of have a personality change once they are behind the wheels. They are mostly careful and even-temper male but once they are in the driver seat, as my sister said, a pair of horn grow on their heads and turned them into dare-devil and ill tempered reckless drivers
Old 05-01-2013, 02:32 AM   #2263
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Alcohol is highly overrated. I barely drink, and can still have a good time, always, without it. Well, I don't hate alcohol, just prefer to drink it to appreciate the taste, not get drunk.
So you can't blame you getting banned on being drunk

waiting for you to come back

Quote:

Just a little story. One time we had a woman who was an alcoholic show up in court around 9 in the morning. We found out by accident that she was .124 and none of us could tell it. She didn't slur her words. She was steady on her feet. She was able to address the court and not show that she was inebriated. Of course, this woman had much higher blood alcohol levels at other times. Finally, she died of an alcohol overdose. It was very sad. She was a lovely young woman with a 6 year old son.
My one and only one time that I saw my hubby drunk and it took me sometime to recognise that he had too much to drink. I worked in downtown Calgary and I usually took the bus. That was Friday and the last day I worked in my customer's office (also in downtown). I already backed to my own office but I had lots of files and personal stuff that I had to remove from the other office, so I called my husband to pick me up. It's Stampede week and his whole office went out for lunch and stayed behind to drink. He drove all the way from the south end of the city to downtown. I did not smell alcohol in the car even he kept talking. We reached the building a few bloacks away where I wanted to stop, he missed it. i worked in that customer's office for over two years and he had picked me up there many times. So in next block, he was supposed to make a left turn. He ran a red light. that's when I knew he was drunk Once we managed to park the car, I kicked him out of the driver's seat.

The most scary part was I was in my first tremester with Jr. At that time, we were married for 8 years and I did not recognise he was drunk when I got into the car even I knew he was drinking.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #2264
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Makes one wonder doesn't it? It's one of the worst drugs out there and it's still taken pretty lightly.
Seriously, it is. I mean, most of us aren't affected by alcoholism and aren't tempted down that path, but for the people who are affected it is a devastating disease. We always think about drug overdoses, but people rarely think about alcohol overdosing. Some of the blood alcohol levels I've seen have been insane. A 13 year old boy with a .430 -- so fortunate he didn't die. A mother giving birth with .360 blood alcohol level. The baby was marinating in alcohol although the pregnancy. Such a darling baby and he found a wonderful family to raise him, but he will be affected the rest of his life.

From my limited experience with this town and the people who live here, it's harder for people to kick alcohol addiction than to kick hard drugs. Sad really for them and their families. The death rates are horrible. By automobile, suicide, overdose, liver failure.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #2265
country flag Katkexxx

Katkexxx has a reputation beyond reputeKatkexxx has a reputation beyond reputeKatkexxx has a reputation beyond reputeKatkexxx has a reputation beyond reputeKatkexxx has a reputation beyond reputeKatkexxx has a reputation beyond reputeKatkexxx has a reputation beyond reputeKatkexxx has a reputation beyond reputeKatkexxx has a reputation beyond reputeKatkexxx has a reputation beyond reputeKatkexxx has a reputation beyond repute

Alcohol is legal, which I think is what sepparates it from many other substances. So if someone has an addiction to alcohol it's easier for them to get to it (you can buy it anywhere, people serve it at dinner parties, you can have unlimited amounts stashed at home and no one will do anything) and it's also a lot more common as we are all surrounded by it from early childhood.
I don't know exactly how to describe my point, so I will just say that it's (even more) difficult to convince someone/yourself that: they have an addiction, alcohol is harming them and they should ask for help, because they have no reason to actually admit that what they are doing is not acceptable within the family/society. Perhaps I generalized too much, but my uncle would definitely frequently ask such questions (why should i not drink if I am allowed to by law)

Have you read A million little pieces by James Frey? There was a controversy about this book, but I really liked it. (it's about both alcohol and hard drug addiction)
Katkexxx is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread