The serve - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-14-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
country flag Rex

Rex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond repute
Default The serve

i need some help..........

im looking to tweek my serve up a bit- i have changed a few things- more knee bend- tossing the ball higher. I work out often so i can muscle the ball pretty well- but is there any way of making it better- i can do all 3 serves.

I am more interested in getting more power because i have started to come to the net more often.

thnx
Srichaphan- The Thai- ger of tennis.
Safin - The of tennis.
Bagdatis- The quotesman of tennis "my coach will watch, i will sleep with my girlfriend"
Kiefer- The naive guy, "yeh, me and seb are good friends"
Santoro- The double handed wizard of tennis.
Lopez- IS my hair right? IS my lipstick right?
Moya- The tatoo and muscles of tennis (although nadal kicks his ass in that department).
Tipsarevic- The tatoo of tennis, competing with moya.
Djokovic- Stole Jiri's surname

Sorry if I left out your favourite, just PM me to let me know-- thanks.
Rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
country flag loner1984

loner1984 has a reputation beyond reputeloner1984 has a reputation beyond reputeloner1984 has a reputation beyond reputeloner1984 has a reputation beyond reputeloner1984 has a reputation beyond reputeloner1984 has a reputation beyond reputeloner1984 has a reputation beyond reputeloner1984 has a reputation beyond reputeloner1984 has a reputation beyond reputeloner1984 has a reputation beyond reputeloner1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The serve

Power from the serve (and most other strokes) comes from racquet acceleration. Work on loosening up your wrist along with using your trunk/misection to generate a whip-like effect in order to get more pop on your serve. Make sure you pronate your wrist the proper way at the point of contact. One tip I can offer is when you grip your racquet before serving, hold the grip with only 4 fingers, leaving your pinky off the grip. This will create a looser pronation that will generate mor racquet head speed. It is also helpful for tense situations.

HOpe this helps

Old 01-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
country flag Ultraman

Ultraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond reputeUltraman has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with the points above. Racquet speed/acceleration is key. Loose grip, flick of the wrist, shoulder rotation, bending the knees and propelling up to the ball are also keys to generating power.

There was a clip around that illustrates Roddick's serve that might be worth taking a peek at. (I'll try to remember where I saw it)

Also.........the USPTA has a video clip on the flat serve, using Sampras, you might find of interest:

http://uspta.com/index.cfm/MenuItemID/1266.htm

Last edited by Ultraman : 01-14-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Ultraman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
country flag Rex

Rex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond repute

thnx guys
Safin - The of tennis.
Bagdatis- The quotesman of tennis "my coach will watch, i will sleep with my girlfriend"
Moya- The tatoo and muscles of tennis (although nadal kicks his ass in that department).

Old 01-14-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
country flag Leena
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

Leena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond repute

Copying Pete's serve is always a good idea. Except his little foot raise before his motion can lead to some annoyances.

The key to really having a good serve is body rotation and flexibility. You can only unleash your full power when you swing your hips and body in perfect order. Full hip rotation is the key. In addition to the points the others here made... swing your shoulders with your body, loosen your grip, and pronate at impact.

Knee bend is fine... but it's not something you should be focused on. If you overdo it, it can affect your balance and timing. Unless you're a total stiff, most people naturally bend their knees for their serve, and that's fine. Don't copy Becker's knee bend. Never copy anything about his serve.

Also, I DON'T suggest doing the "A Faster Serve with Rick whatever" drill, especially if you're a beginner. He makes a good point on rolling your shoulders, but that can further grow some bad habits.

The one thing I always see with the people I work with:

They don't fully reach up for the ball.

In the Sampras tape, "Your contact point should be out in front of your body, and you should be able to draw a straight line from the top of your racquet, down your arm and to your front foot."

It takes tons of practice and good coordination to learn how to do this properly. Lots of people can't. Even some pros like Schalken can't.
Leena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
country flag Rex

im not really a beginner- im 15-BUT im serving at about 110 mph- which people say isnt bad- but i would like to get better- thnx leena. and loner1984 i'll practice with these tips.
Safin - The of tennis.

Old 01-14-2005, 08:18 PM   #7
country flag Domino

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

A big tip that I know a lot of people suffer from for not knowing, is comming through on your serve. Do not turn your shoulders all the way to where you want to hit, instead always picture having your shoulders parallel to the net when your finished.

A lot of instructors also say this: think like your throwing a basebal, in order to get the idea of fluidity, but it is a true statement. One thing you can try for more power is to slow your racquet speed down a bit while your in mid pick-up, and then accelerate quickly through the rest of the serve while still maintaining the proper motion. This is a way to cork yourself up into a position where you are ready to explode into the serve, and thus your get more power, and I find it easier to maintain and control over a long match than a continually accelerating motion where you have to expend a lot of energy and still time it correctly in order for it to work. Most good servers (Phillippoussis, Federer, Sampras, Safin) have a favorite time in their serve (Usually right before the racquet gets above the shoulder) where the slow the racquet down slightly before exploding into it.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #8
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: The serve

maybe you could try 20 push ups daily?

No just kidding maybe twist your wrist faster when hitting the ball
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."

Last edited by Black Adam : 01-14-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #9
country flag Rex

funny you should say that TGS because i do 50 daily
Safin - The of tennis.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #10
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

Well read this maybe it might help ya a little bit.....me it helped me a lot with my serve..... hit one at 106 mph very proud of it
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/wimbledo...981941,00.html
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:12 AM   #11
country flag Leena
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

Leena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A lot of instructors also say this: think like your throwing a basebal, in order to get the idea of fluidity, but it is a true statement.
I use that drill myself.
Leena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #12
country flag Human Washington

Human Washington has a reputation beyond reputeHuman Washington has a reputation beyond reputeHuman Washington has a reputation beyond reputeHuman Washington has a reputation beyond reputeHuman Washington has a reputation beyond reputeHuman Washington has a reputation beyond reputeHuman Washington has a reputation beyond reputeHuman Washington has a reputation beyond reputeHuman Washington has a reputation beyond reputeHuman Washington has a reputation beyond reputeHuman Washington has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to follow your serve in, you may also need to place the ball more accurately on your serve. Power is great, but look at Henman, he has a great serve to come in on, and it relies a lot on his excellent placement.
Human Washington is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 04:52 PM   #13
country flag madmanfool

madmanfool has a reputation beyond reputemadmanfool has a reputation beyond reputemadmanfool has a reputation beyond reputemadmanfool has a reputation beyond reputemadmanfool has a reputation beyond reputemadmanfool has a reputation beyond reputemadmanfool has a reputation beyond reputemadmanfool has a reputation beyond reputemadmanfool has a reputation beyond reputemadmanfool has a reputation beyond reputemadmanfool has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps you can take a look at this serve

http://www.somaxsports.com/RoddickServe.htm
Old 01-15-2005, 04:57 PM   #14
country flag Domino

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

If anything, do not copy that serve. There is not balance in where he distributes the stress from his motion. Arm, back, and ankles take up too much, and this is overall an injury-magnet.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #15
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute

check www.tennisone.con and look at some of their video clips.

also if you're only 15 you're still growing and acquiring muscle mass so once you have the mechanics down, biology will take care of the rest.

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote