Change of banning rules debate - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #106
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of banning rules debate

Lenders, it's pretty simple. They should be handing out the infractions and red cards to posters who break the rules. If they hand it out like candy, then people are breaking the rules too much.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. The moderation is far too lenient here. People should not be getting the impression that trolling the forum is acceptable, as they are now currently. It took about three months for Freakyman to be banned after he turned into a little shit, offering nothing. In my opinion, he should have been gone within three weeks.

I also cannot believe that people are arguing for more lenient punishments. You know what, it isn't so hard just to behave. If you want to be a dick, go and spray graffiti on trains during the middle of the night.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #107
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Moderators should not be forced to have an opinion on every issue. I'm sure there will be times when a few of them have insufficient means to formulate a viable opinion. I think it's pretty clear when a user should be permanently banned or not. It's when the moderators leave it too late that creates a problem. It seems that half of the permanent bans these days are met with great disapproval, because the banned poster in question was allowed to linger around too long.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #108
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Nice move by the mods...
But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

http://marekfurjan.blox.pl/2014/11/S...lczy-o-AO.html
^^^ suck it ill informed JJ haters.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #109
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Personal attack - +5 days
Inappropriate language - +5 days
Doping Allegetions - +1 day
Match Fixing Allegations - +1 day

How can the last two be seemingly not that bad in the eyes of the mods/admins? Would love an explanation as to how calling someone an idiot is worse than making libelous comments about a player.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 AM   #110
country flag Nole Rules
Banned!

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Again, you're missing the point. The reason mods are 'disrespected' is not the decisions per se, but the fact that said big decisions are taken unilaterally. Yes, there was discussion between the mods, I'm sure, but were MTFers heard? Was CF given a chance to defend himself? No. You need to understand that in a forum like this one a permaban is a big decision, especially when the poster in question has so many posts and has made so many friends on MTF. Being a big decision, one that has a great effect in the community as a whole, it should never be taken unilaterally and of course it should never be take a blind application of the rules as the be and end all. The same applies to the ACC, a contest a lot of people here love and which is user-organized. No one is asking the mods to turn a blind eye on infractions or anything, just to take a different approach.

I call BS on the assertion that it's impossible to get constructive discussion on MTF. See this very thread or the CF ban thread, there's a lot of people just mad their friend was banned, some happy a poster they don't like was banned, but there are a lot of good points as well, which is what would happen if permabans were put to discussion. Yes, I know that filtering through the nonsense and focusing on what's important in said thread does require some patience and some time as well, but that's what moderators are for, that's why we are supposed to have intelligent moderators capable of empathy and critical thinking. If you really think the rules are the rules and must be applied blindly, you must have really low self esteem to carry out a task that a bot could be programmed to do with the same level of efficiency (actually higher).

I do not own this forum, neither do the rest of the people voicing their concerns in this thread. If the site owners and moderators feel that mods taking big decisions unilaterally and all sort of dialogue being avoided is the way to go, well it's their forum. But it's quite hypocritical to expect any respect in return and they will never get it. All the flak you guys get is warranted and then some, I know that if, in real life, I lived in a country where decisions are taken using the same logic MTF moderators apply, I'd most definitely not respect those in charge. I concede that it might be a general system flaw rather than a particular moderator's fault, but there you have it.

Are you telling me that everyone voicing their views about Feldman's ban matches that description? Complete BS. Not to mention that, want it or not, a fact that a poster is very popular in the community is a factor that should be taken into account - no I'm not saying popularity should make a poster immune to being banned, but it should be taken into account. After all, the goal of the moderating stuff is to improve the forum experinece for everyone, not banning people for the sake of it I'm assuming.

And sure, you have no problem hearing arguments now, but you should have been hearing them before the decision was made.

No. The premise of every rule system is that we should treat equally what is equal and different what is different - anything apart from that leads to injustice.

It is. Simply put, MTF is not a moderated forum at all. There's a set system of infractions and punishments set in motion, only with figurehead humans (known around here as moderaters) instead of an automatic software to detect them and enforce them. That's not what moderation is, moderation is not a mindless, robotic task.

The introduction of the actual moderator role would be very beneficial for the forum though, surely a step forward towards improving the quality of the discussion and everyone's experience. Is handing out infractions like candy and banning posters improving people's forum experience as you put it? No. And here's a spoiler: it never, ever will.

Even Del GOATro approves.

Nole Rules is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #111
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Wishing Death, Injury, Doping allegations and Trolling are pointless.

If you wish death/injury to someone, it's not going to happen or increase the probability of it. The Doping allegations are just allegations and I don't see a problem with it. And the Trolling thing is subjective. You can't really say if someone is trolling or not.

Needless to say, some users have been banned for some of these infractions because of ridiculous reasons. Let's say you agree with the "Wishing Death" rule, people who actually wish death to someone aren't only banned because of it, if you write a post that includes the word "kill" or "death" you're banned (obviously and exaggeration but you get the point).

The moderating here is already very lenient, but if things like doping allegations or wishing death won't be punished anymore, then I would be leaving (which I'm sure lots of posters would be happy about ) because that just would be unaccaptable on any forum.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #112
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole Rules View Post

Even Del GOATro approves.
I see this thread was moved to ensure it doesn't get the attention it deserves, couldn't the move have been made after activity on the thread died down?

I also see that the poll about whether people agreed with the mods' decisions regarding the ACC was deleted. Afraid to see the results eh?

SloKid, are you still wondering why mods aren't respected or surprised at it? Being in a position of authority doesn't earn you automatic respect, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Lenders, it's pretty simple. They should be handing out the infractions and red cards to posters who break the rules. If they hand it out like candy, then people are breaking the rules too much.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. The moderation is far too lenient here. People should not be getting the impression that trolling the forum is acceptable, as they are now currently. It took about three months for Freakyman to be banned after he turned into a little shit, offering nothing. In my opinion, he should have been gone within three weeks.

I also cannot believe that people are arguing for more lenient punishments. You know what, it isn't so hard just to behave. If you want to be a dick, go and spray graffiti on trains during the middle of the night.
Tell me then: has this system worked in making MTF a better experience for most people? Just by reading these threads, the obvious answer is a flat out no. Spoiler warning: it never will.

Also, the moderation on MTF isn't lenient, it's non existent. MTF is not a moderated forum in any sense of the word. Glorified bots detecing infractions and enforcing pre-set bans is not moderation.

Suicide Tennis - Wimbledon 2014
Fill-In-The-Draw - US Open 2014
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #113
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Basless? I saw someone use a racist term and the post was deleted, he then did it AGAIN and all that happened was the post was deleted.

Why would I make that up? Engage your brain and think before posting.
Did you even read the whole post? I said your blanket accusation was baseless, key word emphasised for your benefit.

You do know what a 'blanket statement' means, right?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #114
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, thanks to all for contributing here.

To make a point clear. We can have Moderation stricter, whilst dropping the permaban rule, despite what Bulldog is correctly saying. We can have longer ban periods more strictly and more transparently (as Lenders points out) applied. Taking out the permaban rule will not make Moderation more lax. Why put the user through endless cycles? Because anyone always deserves a new chance. If in society some guy gets drunk 15 times and breaks some minor rules, does that guy deserve permanent isolation from society? I think not. Punishment should be increasingly severe for each rule breaking, but never capital.

On a second note, why was this thread moved here? In order to have less users see it and contribute to it, right? Because, the NT traffic cannot possibly compare with Suggestions section. I would like to thank the Moderator team for this big helping hand once again. I know that the thread titles suggests it be moved here, but this is an important debate that needs to be seen by all.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #115
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
It took about three months for Freakyman to be banned after he turned into a little shit, offering nothing. In my opinion, he should have been gone within three weeks.
That is why Lenders is asking for Moderation to be "Moderation". What were the reasons that Freaky turned into the person he turned into, what got him angry at the forum? Ah yes. The fact that a Moderator cast him out from a childish competition (ACC) on the basis of a made up rule that broke forum rules (He was not allowed to play because he was 14). Did it occur to anyone that this was the reason to why he started the "rampage"? Has any Mod given thought to actually talk to the guy, and actually help him? Ah, no, of course not. From that moment on, it was easier to just provoke him further, because self-destruction had begun, the permanent ban was easier, he just needed to make 15 minor infractions to be gone, with not one long 6 month ban that would have cooled things down.

Offering nothing is subjective. Offering nothing to you perhaps. For example, I have offered nothing to many users who do not care about live rankings. Freaky has been active and contributed in the FITD sections and he does play tennis, he knows the game and his knowledge is valuable. Well, not to this forum anymore, thank God it's not the only tennis forum.

Of course, that 6 month ban would not have been deserved in the first place if Moderation would have been called upon at the source of the troubles. How do you ban a person from a thread because he's 14, no matter how much you care about not allowing flaming to start?

Last edited by Slasher1985 : 03-29-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #116
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Well, thanks to all for contributing here.

To make a point clear. We can have Moderation stricter, whilst dropping the permaban rule, despite what Bulldog is correctly saying. We can have longer ban periods more strictly and more transparently (as Lenders points out) applied. Taking out the permaban rule will not make Moderation more lax. Why put the user through endless cycles? Because anyone always deserves a new chance. If in society some guy gets drunk 15 times and breaks some minor rules, does that guy deserve permanent isolation from society? I think not. Punishment should be increasingly severe for each rule breaking, but never capital.

On a second note, why was this thread moved here? In order to have less users see it and contribute to it, right? Because, the NT traffic cannot possibly compare with Suggestions section. I would like to thank the Moderator team for this big helping hand once again. I know that the thread titles suggests it be moved here, but this is an important debate that needs to be seen by all.
Agreed wholeheartedly. On your second note, during the debate, I personally would have moved it as a sticky in the GM section like Live Rankings, where it is clearly visible to all.

There have been a lot of good points made in this thread, and my thanks to all who have made their contributions.
I think most want to see good moderation, but good moderation also requires good, reasonable rules and guidelines to help the moderators. And this thread was started to debate rules changes, not to criticize moderation of the rules. But I understand that it goes hand in hand, so I didn't press the matter.

While many of us would like to see a more personal and less "robotic" approach, as has been mentioned, I'm not sure if it is realistically possible to do for everything in a forum of this size with unpaid moderation. Still, I think that when making some key decisions such as banning people, many things should be taken into account, and not just a pure slavery to a rule or rules. But perhaps they already are. We don't really know because there is almost no transparency in decisions.

I don't think we need to go as far as having everybody involved in a forum wide debate on a person's lengthy or permanent ban, but it might be nice to see the reasoned decision published by the lead admin/mod on the case, instead of the simplistic "banned for multiple infractions" comment. I think the populace of the forum deserve at least this much enlightenment.

Thanks again for your contributions and consideration!

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #117
country flag chalkdust

chalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond repute

Some thoughtful concluding posts here! I guess now we can only hope that something changes.
chalkdust is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #118
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkdust View Post
Some thoughtful concluding posts here! I guess now we can only hope that something changes.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies" - Shawshank Redemption.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #119
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

After taking into account what the forum can actually do in terms of options, I have come to this "more-strict" "devoid of permanent" schema:

Code:
Offense                        
Extreme racist remarks	       1 year at first red; 
                               2 years with each additional red
Discriminatory remarks         6 months at first red; 
                               1 year at second red; 
Wishing injury                 3 months at first red; 
                               4 months at second red; 
                               6 months at third red; 
                               1 year at fourth red; 
Wishing death                  3 months at first red;  
                               6 months at second red; 
                               1 year at third red; 
Uttering threats               2 months at first red;  
                               4 months at second red; 
                               6 months at third red; 
                               1 year at fourth red; 
Multiple accounts              6 months at first red; 
                               1 year at second red; 
Harassment                     1 month at first red;  
                               2 months at second red; 
                               4 months at third red;   
                               6 months at fourth red; 
                               1 year with each additional red
Violation of privacy           2 months at first red; 
                               4 months at second red;   
                               6 months at third red; 
                               1 year with each additional red
Moderator bashing              2 weeks at first red;  
                               3 weeks at second red;
                               1 month at third red;
                               2 months at fourth red; 
                               4 months at fifth red;   
                               6 months with each additional red
Porn/Inappropriate images      2 weeks at first red;  
                               3 weeks at second red;
                               1 month at third red;
                               2 months at fourth red; 
                               4 months at fifth red;   
                               6 months with each additional red
Signature rule violation       1 week at first red;  
                               2 weeks at second red;
                               3 weeks at third red;
                               1 month at fourth red; 
                               2 months at fifth red;   
                               3 months with each additional red
Editing a mod's changes        1 week at first red;  
                               2 weeks at second red;
                               3 weeks at third red;
                               1 month at fourth red; 
                               2 months at fifth red;   
                               4 months with each additional red
Posting for banned member      1 week at first red;  
                               2 weeks at second red;
                               3 weeks at third red;
                               1 month at fourth red; 
                               2 months at fifth red;   
                               4 months with each additional red
Personal attack                5 days at first red;  
                               10 days at second red;
                               3 weeks at third red;
                               1 month at fourth red; 
                               2 months at fifth red;   
Inappropriate language         5 days at first red;  
                               10 days at second red;
                               3 weeks at third red;
                               1 month at fourth red; 
                               2 months at fifth red;   
Forum disruptions              3 days at first red;  
                               7 days at second red;
                               10 days at third red;
                               3 weeks at fourth red; 
                               1 month at fifth red;   
                               2 months with each additional red
Baiting                        3 days at first red;  
                               7 days at second red;
                               10 days at third red;
                               3 weeks at fourth red; 
                               1 month at fifth red;   
Trolling                       2 days at first red;  
                               4 days at second red;
                               6 days at third red;
                               10 days at fourth red; 
                               3 weeks at fifth red;   
                               1 month with each additional red
Doping Allegetions             3 days at first red;  
                               7 days at second red;
                               10 days at third red;
                               3 weeks at fourth red; 
                               1 month at fifth red;   
Match Fixing Allegations       3 days at first red;  
                               7 days at second red;
                               10 days at third red;
                               3 weeks at fourth red; 
                               1 month at fifth red;   
Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #120
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

This is all on what the forum can do with minimum change and a minimum of work from Mods.

It can do more if Mods decide to work more. Like for instance, Mods can always ban using the permaban option, but keep tabs separately from the forum (maybe in an Excel sheet) of actual banning periods and lift the ban once a period is complete. This would allow longer bans, and the appliance of the rules I mentioned in the OP.
Closed Thread