Change of banning rules debate - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #46
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
The moderation is very lenient here. I am a member of a couple of other forums, where the moderation is more strict, and everyone is nice to eachother and constructive. Here, you can get away with loads before you get serious bans, so these changes would be going the wrong way.

Yes, we want MTF to be fun, but we don't want relaxed rules that encourage people to take minor hits for example wishing death and making doping allegations, because it's amusing.

So if anything, we need to go the other way.
You make a decent point, moderation is QUITE lenient here, but I'm not going to say very lenient because I am also a member of other forums where the moderation is a lot more lenient then it is here.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #47
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkdust View Post
What I don't get though, is that if people were given lengthy, but not permanent, bans for anything serious, how exactly would that give rise to chaos on the forums? Difficult posters just wouldn't be around very much, so people would hardly notice them.
What's the point in leaving a poster in limbo though? Perpetually being in a cycle of getting banned and then coming back, only to get banned again. After a while, it's beneficial to the masses to just get rid of them for good.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #48
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
You make a decent point, moderation is QUITE lenient here, but I'm not going to say very lenient because I am also a member of other forums where the moderation is a lot more lenient then it is here.
If the moderation was any more lenient here, this would be a mad house. One could even argue that it's already a mad house. I mean, how hard is it to express your personal opinion without being rude or insulting? I haven't been around for long, but I've been pretty active and very opinionated, bit I've never got any kind if infraction, and it's not like I've had to restrain myself.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #49
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Oh no, my friend. It's not really paranoia. It's yet another example. I could count being accused of paranoia as a personal insult. That would be paranoia.

It's easy to divert from the original purpose of this debate. And that is to help this board. Now, if you wanna flame me or insult me, find another thread to do it.
Sorry, you are the one who divert the purpose of this debate with your post of being hunted in the first place and now you are trying to shift the blame to the moderation saying they are the flame thrower or trying the insult you.

This discredit you in my opinion.
Lee is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #50
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Permabans should be only used in extreme cases.

Any poster who is being considered for a permaban, it should be done in full view, with a public trial where all can post their comments.

I mean, if someone commits a crime, they don't just automatically get sentenced to life in jail. They are held on trial, where everyone can see and make their comments.

As it is now, it is like the KGB in Cold War Russia, or the Haitian Secret Police. You wake up one day, and a poster is "missing" and you know you will never see them again, and no explanation is ever given, if anything, a vague explanation.

It is sad. I feel sometimes hunted, especially last year, when I was banned for a bullshit reason, a supposed DA I never created, and I was powerless to overturn despite the fact that I was 100% innocent.

It just isn't right.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #51
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If the moderation was any more lenient here, this would be a mad house. One could even argue that it's already a mad house. I mean, how hard is it to express your personal opinion without being rude or insulting? I haven't been around for long, but I've been pretty active and very opinionated, bit I've never got any kind if infraction, and it's not like I've had to restrain myself.
Perhaps it would, I guess it depends on the type of Forum, because there's been less arguing on forums that I see as less lenient as here, than there is on here.

argument.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #52
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest thing here I think is too many thin-skinned people who can't handle what some mug says on a tennis forum.

I think the more we ban people for minor things, the more we give power to those things we ban them for. If someone is banned for calling someone else a name, we do nothing but give more power to that name so that is stays as an offence. If we choose to ignore those words, or even to change their meaning, the word becomes more and more harmless.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #53
country flag The Prince

Quote:
Perhaps it would, I guess it depends on the type of Forum, because there's been less arguing on forums that I see as less lenient as here, than there is on here.
I don't think the type of forum really matters. If you would say something in real life, then it's probably okay to say it on the forum. If you wouldn't say something in real life, then you probably shouldn't say it on the forum.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #54
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
The biggest thing here I think is too many thin-skinned people who can't handle what some mug says on a tennis forum.

I think the more we ban people for minor things, the more we give power to those things we ban them for. If someone is banned for calling someone else a name, we do nothing but give more power to that name so that is stays as an offence. If we choose to ignore those words, or even to change their meaning, the word becomes more and more harmless.
I agree.

I used to never report a post or a poster (just like I don't give badrep), but it seems the mods only take sides with the reportees, so I've become a report activist in the past week after I got banned for nothing.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #55
country flag ProdigyEng

Quote:
I don't think the type of forum really matters. If you would say something in real life, then it's probably okay to say it on the forum. If you wouldn't say something in real life, then you probably shouldn't say it on the forum.
Well how come on the less lenient forums I am on compared to MTF, there's less arguments? I guess it might be the fact that users want to break the rules here, something like that, to look cool. Whereas rule breaking on a forum where you're less likely to get punished is pointless.

argument.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #56
country flag The Prince

Quote:
Well how come on the less lenient forums I am on compared to MTF, there's less arguments? I guess it might be the fact that users want to break the rules here, something like that, to look cool. Whereas rule breaking on a forum where you're less likely to get punished is pointless.
Well if you post on the Teletubbies forum, it's unlikely that people are going to insult eachother with rude words.

Seriously, I think moderation should be strict. We're here to talk about tennis and other things in a reasonable manner (which no doubt can be fun), not cause trouble just because we can hide behind an online alias.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #57
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do a research on Asperger's syndrome. It's something very common but people do not recognise it and many people do not even get diagnosed. It's not something that people can grow out of or grow thicker skin.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #58
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Do a research on Asperger's syndrome. It's something very common but people do not recognise it and many people do not even get diagnosed. It's not something that people can grow out of or grow thicker skin.
Do you think there are a large number of posters suffering from Asperger's who post on MTF? If so, that is another thing entirely.

But I don't think that is the case

Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #59
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Quote:
Do you think there are a large number of posters suffering from Asperger's who post on MTF? If so, that is another thing entirely.

But I don't think that is the case
The point is you don't know the poster you are throwing your "joke" has Asperger or not. Or the person is suffering from something else that make them vulnerable.

Also, do you understand and has researched on Asperger before your reply? Because I have doubt from your first statement I quote.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #60
country flag SloKid
In hiding.

SloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It's not up to you or me to decide what is insulting or not or offensive or not for someone else, is it?. I wrote about in the other thread at length.
SloKid is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread