Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #61
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
No, I mean other articles through out the years.

People make fun of my accent within my own country, I think I can take it.
Can you link to them? I'd be interested in finding others but I couldn't find much past this recent study.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #62
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Can you link to them? I'd be interested in finding others but I couldn't find much past this recent study.
Do you mean articles or studies? I said before, I haven't found any other official "studies" just random articles that are mostly opinion and experienced based.

There are so many. Lazy much? Just google "friendliest countries" or "most welcoming countries".

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ireland/...articles/39876
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/egim4...gallerycontent
http://uk.askmen.com/top_10/travel_1...l_top_ten.html
http://opentravel.com/blogs/5-friend...-planet-earth/
http://listphobia.com/2009/11/02/10-...-of-the-world/
http://stesand.hubpages.com/hub/The-...s-in-the-World
http://www.roughguides.com/gallery/t...sen-by-you/#/2

This begs the question, in this recent study, what factors did they take into account? Only people? Because there certainly is a difference between friendliest country, which is mostly about the people, and most welcoming, which can be about many things.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #63
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

what about the other way around? who are the worst and best visitors to foreign countries?

Quote:
n a first-annual survey, Expedia asked 4,000 hoteliers their opinions of various nationalities. The Japanese got the most praise. Americans tied with Thai tourists for an unimpressive 11th place.

Of course, hotel owners and managers have different concerns than fellow tourists. So American travelers may have their own opinions.

The World's Best Tourists, Ranking From Best to Worst, 2008

1. Japanese

2. German/British (tie) (The Germans were considered the tidiest of all nationalities.)

3. Canadian (The most popular tourists in their own country were the Canadians as well.)

4. Swiss

5. Dutch

6. Australian/Swedish (tie)

7. Belgian

8. Norwegian

9. Austrian/Danish/Finnish (tie)

10. New Zealanders (Kiwi)

11. U.S. American/Thai (tie)

12. Irish/Czech/South African/Portugese (tie)

13. Brazilian

14. Italian/Greek/Polish (tie)

15. Turkish

16. Spanish

17. Mexican

18. Russian

19. French ...The French didn't do too well, coming in, as you can see at 19th. They were seen as the most “fiscally conservative,” presumably when it comes to such matters as tipping.

20. Indian

21. Chinese

The point of the survey, at least for Expedia, is to advertise its summer sale of up to 30 percent off its travel products and packages (expedia.com/summersale).

But putting that aside, what do you think about the results?

Read more: http://www.budgettravel.com/blog/sur...#ixzz2OkEwMAKK
i find this has more value as it is based on a survey (which of course might also be biased).
Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #64
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm baffled at how the brits can rank so high, though.

everytime i'm abroad the brits are the most obnoxious drunks of the bunch. they're loud, unfit, reddishly-tanned, at times violent, usually drunk and generally unpleasant dudes. furthermore, they like to stay around themselves, among fellow brits, and, as hard as it might seem, they manage to be even more loud and unpleasant that way.

they women aren't usually much better. in fact, they're usually like them too...
Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #65
country flag abraxas21

as for worst tourists worldwide, i'd probably pick the israelis.

they don't go by the rules of the place they're visiting. they act as if they own the fucking place and do all kinds of crazy stuff without properly measuring the risks to the locals and even to themselves.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #66
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
what about the other way around? who are the worst and best visitors to foreign countries?

i find this has more value as it is based on a survey (which of course might also be biased).
The thing is that it has less interest, IMO, finding out who are the best tourist in comparison to who are the best hosts. As a traveler, I am interested in finding out in which countries I can expect to be very very well received and in which I may struggle a bit.

But it's also interesting. In my experience, Germans are pretty great tourists. I don't agree about the Japanese though they are a bit too curious and stare at people.

Quote:

everytime i'm abroad the brits are the most obnoxious drunks of the bunch. they're loud, unfit, reddishly-tanned, at times violent, usually drunk and generally unpleasant dudes. furthermore, they like to stay around themselves, among fellow brits, and, as hard as it might seem, they manage to be even more loud and unpleasant that way.

they women aren't usually much better. in fact, they're usually like them too...
Well, my country does not have a very good opinion on Brits as tourists Especially in Algarve.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #67
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Quote:
as for worst tourists worldwide, i'd probably pick the israelis.

they don't go by the rules of the place they're visiting. they act as if they own the fucking place and do all kinds of crazy stuff without properly measuring the risks to the locals and even to themselves.
Shocking.

i think if we would have Distribute questionnaire asking ppl "who would abraxas21 will Choose as the worst tourists" everyone would have known it will be ur answer

You need a little diversify , maybe if you can hide the hatred that burns in you, you can get some people to believe it
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #68
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
You need a little diversify , maybe if you can hide the hatred that burns in you, you can get some people to believe it
Trust me, it's not hatred at all. Israelis (not Jews worldwide), especially the young ones, have a reputation for being reckless and wild in their travels, especially in the tourism-adventure type of excursions. I've heard this opinion many times from many different persons.

Quote:
The problem with Israeli travelers

No matter where you go in the world, Israelis are easily identifiable: they’re rude, impatient and make a lot of noise. Such behavior gives Israel and Jews a bad name. But things don’t have-to stay that way.

Most Jews have experienced some form of anti-Semitism at one point or another – it is a plague with no geographical boundaries. Some see anti-Semitism as any form of critique on someone’s Jewish identity, while others go so far as to say that anything anti-Israel is anti-Semitic.

On my recent trip to India, I heard a lot of things being said against Israelis, but for some reason, it didn’t feel like anti-Semitism to me. My first of many anti-Israel encounters took place at the hotel lobby, when the Indian hotel manager reviewed my passport. He looked at me - an Israeli-born Jewish American – with a quizzical gaze.

“You are also Israeli?” he asked me, slightly tilting his head to the side. He kept on examining the “Place of Birth” on my passport as if it were a mistake.

“Yes, sir. At least, my parents are Israeli, and I was born there, but I grew up in America.”

“Ah, that is why you are so nice. You grew up in America!”

The hotel manager then went on to list some pathetic incidents with young Israelis who were either high on drugs, or had cheated the hotel manager out of some money.

Thousands of Israelis travel abroad every year. Some go after their army service, while others travel later on in life. The culture of travel is one to be respected as an important eye-opening experience for many.

In terms of sheer quantity, the number of Israelis found traveling abroad does not necessary exceed that of larger countries, like the France or the United Kingdom. Why then, do Israeli travelers continuously show up in “worst traveler” contests?

The answer may indeed have to do with political opinions or prejudice. However, I have another theory: drug-addled, rude Israelis are ruining Israel’s reputation for the rest of us: Jews and Israelis alike. For Israelis who don’t behave this way are judged with disbelief or are simply discriminated against. There were numerous hostels and hotels that had an unofficial “no-Israeli” policy.

My theory is not a new one. Eretz Nehederet famously covered Israelis in India several years ago, featuring a group of rude Israelis who attempt to get a room in a hotel, and argue with the hotel manager about the price of the room.

The Israeli government and Jewish organizations spend billions of dollars every year on Hasbarah, yet this type of negative event can be infinitely more damaging than any anti-Israel news report. These interactions are all too common - and for many of these hotel managers, tour guides, or others in the tourism industry, the interaction with an Israeli was one of the first times he or she may have met a Jew. A negative encounter only emphasizes anti-Israel messages and news that these people might hear on the TV or from other people.

Israel needs to realize this phenomenon and change it. While I am not advocating an over-the-top culture of political correctness in Israel, Israelis need to learn that these behaviors ruin the international image of Israel and the Jewish people alike. In a world where India and China are fast growing to become major powers, who wants the population of these places to view Israelis and Jews in a negative light?

Prejudice is often diminished by positive interactions with people of a specific social group, race, or religion that is often discriminated against. Unless we change those interactions between Israelis and people that work in the tourism industry abroad, Israel risks hurting its international image and inadvertently reinforcing the existing negative perceptions of its people. By educating Israelis on the power of their behavior, perhaps a few travelers who would have otherwise been problematic will actually heed the advice and promote a friendlier, more positive image for us all – Israelis and Jews alike.

Yael Miller is a graduate student at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies.

Last edited by abraxas21 : 03-27-2013 at 02:25 PM.
abraxas21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #69
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

While it does look like an interesting map, I do believe that it must be taken with a pinch of salt as has been said, with the way they acquired this info being so susceptible to margins of error and all. Still, from my own limited experience, the countries in blue that I have been to like Bosnia, Croatia, Italy and Spain do indeed deserve that colour. It makes for an interesting discussion at least
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #70
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you mean articles or studies? I said before, I haven't found any other official "studies" just random articles that are mostly opinion and experienced based.

There are so many. Lazy much? Just google "friendliest countries" or "most welcoming countries".

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ireland/...articles/39876
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/egim4...gallerycontent
http://opentravel.com/blogs/5-friend...-planet-earth/
http://listphobia.com/2009/11/02/10-...-of-the-world/
http://stesand.hubpages.com/hub/The-...s-in-the-World
http://www.roughguides.com/gallery/t...sen-by-you/#/2

This begs the question, in this recent study, what factors did they take into account? Only people? Because there certainly is a difference between friendliest country, which is mostly about the people, and most welcoming, which can be about many things.
I looked for "most welcoming countries for tourists". Picky, yes, but as you said, there is a difference between friendly and welcoming to tourists.

I don't see Iceland in these studies btw, but I do see my pick, Ireland, near the top in most of them.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).

Last edited by Har-Tru : 03-27-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #71
country flag MachimoI

MachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not "studies", I shouldn't have used that word. But you have dozens of articles on this. Ireland and New Zealand always seem to top the charts everywhere.
Sorry, but you're not getting away with this. List these "articles", please.

EDIT: Just saw your list of links - I don't think you've studied the articles you've linked thoroughly enough. Several countries AT THE BOTTOM of the WEF report (Iran, Indonesia, Vietnam) have been listed in your 'friendliest countries' lists and most other countries mentioned are somewhere in the middle of the WEF report (Chile, Colombia, Laos, Cambodia, Germany, USA, Italy).

That's not to mention that most of your articles were written by random people and some of them are absolutely ridiculous (one of them basically listed Australia, NZ and South Africa at the top, because there's a lot of native English speakers there).

Quote:
Like I said, we are supposed to take this with a pinch of salt. But you can't possibly say that it's totally meaningless because it is not.
Nope, not a pinch of salt. The results of this poll mean absolutely nothing. They are meaningless. A freshman sociology student in a decent university wouldn't pass his 'introduction to quantitative methods' course with a paper like this. It's like polling 40 janitors working in universities across Europe to see which European universities are the best.

-Ernests Gulbis, 2011.
MachimoI is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #72
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
what a load of crap. Hilarious how the countries with left leaning governments get more reddish colours washington post spreading their political propaganda once again, it seems.

Bolivia is easily the most welcoming and friendly country I've ever been to. btw.
I can understand why you are seeing red all the time. You need a broader outlook. Not just the left leaning countries.

But you are being more than usually foolish when you contend that data from a report that had nothing to do with the Washington Post is Washington Post propaganda. As if a news item on an earthquake in Chile would make the Washington Post responsible for the actual earthquake. I thought that kind of logic disappeared when Chavez died.

Last edited by buddyholly : 03-27-2013 at 04:12 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #73
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Maybe it is because you and the type of Brit you describe like similar environments.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #74
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Trust me, it's not hatred at all. Israelis (not Jews worldwide), especially the young ones, have a reputation for being reckless and wild in their travels, especially in the tourism-adventure type of excursions. I've heard this opinion many times from many different persons.
well it seems that google Disagree with u

Who are the world's worst tourists?

Americans? Brits? French? Russians? It seems to be all of us, depending on whom you ask

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/l...ourists-291643

p.s any list that we share with the brits is fine by me and im just happy we can afford all the traveling while so many cant
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #75
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I can understand why you are seeing red all the time. You need a broader outlook. Not just the left leaning countries.

But you are being more than usually foolish when you contend that data from a report that had nothing to do with the Washington Post is Washington Post propaganda. As if a news item on an earthquake in Chile would make the Washington Post responsible for the actual earthquake. I thought that kind of logic disappeared when Chavez died.
WP, like all media outlets, chooses what to publish

i might as well post racist KKK propaganda here and then claim that I shouldn't be banned because I didn't write it. Of course, it would make no sense at all.