Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #46
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Best: Ireland.

Worst: France.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #47
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Had a few family members been to Bolivia, they loved it. Like anywhere there are regional variations. They said it took a little while before they opened up, once they did then no complaints about how they were treated.

Been to Bulgaria, sure ran into a few dickheads but get that anywhere and didn't find them unwelcoming.

Iranians are very good people, never judge people by their political leaders if so then we'd hate everyone.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #48
country flag MachimoI

MachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond repute

As for the actually most welcoming countries: most Muslim countries should definitely be at the very top of the list. It's a part of the religion, from what I understand. Everyone's really friendly and helpful to the guests, sometimes to the extreme. A couple of examples: 2 random women offered a friend of mine to house him for a couple of days (no, you perv, it has nothing to do with that), *while he was on a train* to Chechnya. A random guy from the other side of the street bought me an icecream, while I was in Iran. It was weird, but it genuinely shows how hospitable the average Iranian is. It is absolutely fucking ridiculous that they're at the bottom of that list.

I've also had a lot of moments like that in Georgia. For example, a random older guy just started talking to us on the street and showed us around the city for 2 days.

Generally, the less Westernized and the less wealthy a society is, the more hospitable the people around you are going to be. Also - the further you are from urban areas, the more hospitable people are going to be.

Otherwise, SUPERFICIALLY, it largely depends on how extrovert the people are in the given country. In Northern Europe people stick to themselves more, while in the South people are more talkative and trying to be more helpful (which is not necessarily the same thing as being helpful, as most people in Greece, Italy, etc. will just point to a random direction when asked, even if they have no idea where the place I'm asking for actually is located).

But, yeah, that's ignoring infrastructure, the number of Starbucks per square inch, foreign relations with the US, general safety and stuff like that.

-Ernests Gulbis, 2011.
MachimoI is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #49
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachimoI View Post
I saw a lengthy research paper some weeks ago and I stopped at this exact part of it. The results seemed really weird, counter-intuitive and absolutely against my own experiences as a tourist (I've been to 30+ countries).
Well, not that I believe in the credibility of the study wholeheartedly, but I have also been to 30+ countries and except a few cases it did not seem weird to me at all. So I guess it's down to opinion and personal experience, and the fact that you didn't agree with it doesn't mean all that much.

Besides, other different and independent studies have come to, in many ways, similar conclusions.

Quote:
After a little digging, I realized that they've been polling a small sample of entrepeneurs (most of whom have nothing to do with the tourism industry) to get this data. So the methodology used in this BS poll is not just flawed, it is absolutely worthless. The sample size is way too small for the data to be representative EVEN IF they would've asked a random selection of regular people. Anyone with a basic understanding of statistics and sociology will understand this.

In other words, this has nothing to do with how welcoming countries are for tourists. Ignore the map and move on.
Could you please point me to the places where you found out about this? Did you find out in it in the 100+ report or somewhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Had a few family members been to Bolivia, they loved it. Like anywhere there are regional variations. They said it took a little while before they opened up, once they did then no complaints about how they were treated.

Been to Bulgaria, sure ran into a few dickheads but get that anywhere and didn't find them unwelcoming.

Iranians are very good people, never judge people by their political leaders if so then we'd hate everyone.
Pretty much. Never been to Iran, but have a met quite a few Iranians and they were some of the nicest people I ever met. This was the case that surprised me the most because I have heard wonderful things about Iranian hospitality from many people who have bene there.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #50
country flag MachimoI

MachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Besides, other different and independent studies have come to, in many ways, similar conclusions.
Can you list these studies? I'm afraid you'll have a very hard time doing that.

Quote:
Could you please point me to the places where you found out about this? Did you find out in it in the 100+ report or somewhere else?
It's in the WEF report, check the sources. It's based on an executive opinion survey and the answer is in the name - only select business leaders were polled, just like I said. The sample sizes are also ridiculously small (for example, 35 for South Africa, 45 for Sweden, 39 for Hong Kong, 52 for Denmark), so the margin of error is absolutely insane.

-Ernests Gulbis, 2011.
MachimoI is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #51
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

France has to be the less welcoming. And even if you're a native French speaker

As someone once said: "France is a beautiful country, too bad it's populated with French"
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #52
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think India is really welcoming . I have only seen smiles greet me when I visit the important tourist destinations
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #53
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
who says that?
Genci in the past there are many people which enter in Albania and never exit from this country ...

Tennis Tipping 2014

Singles : 128 (Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 71 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) SF Umag (with kr1s17an) Won : Cordeones CH (with Freak3yman84)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 10:6 (ATP 1:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #54
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it says most welcoming countries, not people. So a country with a strict regime in place should score lower, no matter how nice the people are.

As for my experiences, I haven't really noticed any real differences on my holidays.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #55
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

Now I just saw who made this and that explains red colors for Bulgaria, Romania and Poland

Tennis Tipping 2014

Singles : 128 (Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 71 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) SF Umag (with kr1s17an) Won : Cordeones CH (with Freak3yman84)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 10:6 (ATP 1:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #56
country flag erickmartins
Not exactly average.

erickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How about Brazil? Honestly.
I like to think we're very welcoming, even if not that many people speak English. In Rio it's very common to see natives making a huge effort to somehow communicate with foreign tourists when they could have just said "I don't speak English" and gone on with their lives. Of course it changes a lot from place to place (people in Săo Paulo seem to be always in a hurry from place to place while in some small city in the Northeast they will take their time to help you), but in general I think we're nice towards tourists

Titles: Astana 2 CH '11, Challenger Tour Finals '11, Kuala Lumpur '12 (w/Dudisela75), Bressuire Futures '13 (w/Marita)

Finals: Fürth CH '11, Orleans CH '11, Petange CH '12, TT Euro '12 (w/Vilnietč)

SF: Australian Open '12, Memphis '12
erickmartins is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #57
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachimoI View Post
Can you list these studies? I'm afraid you'll have a very hard time doing that.
Not "studies", I shouldn't have used that word. But you have dozens of articles on this. Ireland and New Zealand always seem to top the charts everywhere.

Quote:
It's in the WEF report, check the sources. It's based on an executive opinion survey and the answer is in the name - only select business leaders were polled, just like I said. The sample sizes are also ridiculously small (for example, 35 for South Africa, 45 for Sweden, 39 for Hong Kong, 52 for Denmark), so the margin of error is absolutely insane.
Like I said, we are supposed to take this with a pinch of salt. But you can't possibly say that it's totally meaningless because it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Well, it says most welcoming countries, not people. So a country with a strict regime in place should score lower, no matter how nice the people are.

As for my experiences, I haven't really noticed any real differences on my holidays.
Didn't think about this, but you have a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickmartins View Post
I like to think we're very welcoming, even if not that many people speak English. In Rio it's very common to see natives making a huge effort to somehow communicate with foreign tourists when they could have just said "I don't speak English" and gone on with their lives. Of course it changes a lot from place to place (people in Săo Paulo seem to be always in a hurry from place to place while in some small city in the Northeast they will take their time to help you), but in general I think we're nice towards tourists
Hopefully I'll experience that myself one day.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #58
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not "studies", I shouldn't have used that word. But you have dozens of articles on this. Ireland and New Zealand always seem to top the charts everywhere.
You mean dozens of articles quoting the same study?

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #59
country flag erickmartins
Not exactly average.

erickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hopefully I'll experience that myself one day.
You won't have the language barrier, but you'll have to look out for people making fun of your accent and strange expressions

Titles: Astana 2 CH '11, Challenger Tour Finals '11, Kuala Lumpur '12 (w/Dudisela75), Bressuire Futures '13 (w/Marita)

Finals: Fürth CH '11, Orleans CH '11, Petange CH '12, TT Euro '12 (w/Vilnietč)

SF: Australian Open '12, Memphis '12
erickmartins is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #60
country flag arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
You mean dozens of articles quoting the same study?
No, I mean other articles through out the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickmartins View Post
You won't have the language barrier, but you'll have to look out for people making fun of your accent and strange expressions
People make fun of my accent within my own country, I think I can take it.