Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Albania and say thay is the most dangerous country in Europe ...
Also Greece is not very welcoming people ....

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Tennis Tipping 2014

Singles : 128 (Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 65 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) SF Umag (with kr1s17an) Won : Cordeones CH (with Freak3yman84)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 10:6 (ATP 1:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
country flag Vinceremo

Vinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
I had a similar experience in Cuba. Where are you from? Italy?
Yep, an italian nomad however haha due to parents' work I've grown up between Europe and South America, also lived for a little while in the US where my father currently resides.

My parents told me exactly the same about Cuba after I came back from Dominican Rep, of course they stayed in the purely tourist area (like i'm guessing you did too?) and not in the 'red-zone'.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not really, English is not the official language of the world. But the French should be nice no matter what!
Well, the French aren't even nice when they are visiting a foreign country. By far they are the least liked nation of tourists who visit the tourist town where I live. They are rude to everyone and they refuse to tip. But, that's just a generalization. I have known some very nice French tourists who were lively and funny and others more reserved but still very nice. Not that even the nice ones bother to tip.

I dunno how welcoming tourists think we are. We try to be nice, but no doubt we are a lot nicer in April and May than we are in September and October.

I was surprised to see Yemen in BLUE.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceremo View Post
Yep, an italian nomad however haha due to parents' work I've grown up between Europe and South America, also lived for a little while in the US where my father currently resides.

My parents told me exactly the same about Cuba after I came back from Dominican Rep, of course they stayed in the purely tourist area (like i'm guessing you did too?) and not in the 'red-zone'.
I asked because you only mentioned countries from SA or Central America. What about Europe? Any country that impressed you for good or bad reasons?

In Cuba I mostly stayed in the Touristy area, but I also went to Havana, all around it, and even in Varadero, I went outside the touristy area to the beaches where the locals went, etc..
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So which countries have you actually been to, besides Bolivia, and whose ranking you disagree with.
been to: spain, chile, bolivia, argentina, south africa, lesotho, swaziland, uruguay, peru, mozambique. in my experience spain was the unfriendliest and bolivia was the friendlist (even though i'm from chile, and chileans aren't well regarded there).

as for the map, i disagree with the concept. either the countries with left leaning governments aren't friendly to tourists in general or the map in question is a load of stinking crap. i think the latter is correct.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Well, the French aren't even nice when they are visiting a foreign country. By far they are the least liked nation of tourists who visit the tourist town where I live. They are rude to everyone and they refuse to tip. But, that's just a generalization. I have known some very nice French tourists who were lively and funny and others more reserved but still very nice. Not that even the nice ones bother to tip.

I dunno how welcoming tourists think we are. We try to be nice, but no doubt we are a lot nicer in April and May than we are in September and October.

I was surprised to see Yemen in BLUE.
The French do have a bad reputation, but i don't find them as bad. In all my 3 stays in Paris, every time I needed help, I got it. Of course I would always try to start the conversation using my rusty French and then as I would feel trapped I would slowly start adding English words. And I hear outside Paris people are generally nicer.

As for Americans, it's hard to generalize because the country is so big and people from different states are so different.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
country flag Vinceremo

Vinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I asked because you only mentioned countries from SA or Central America. What about Europe? Any country that impressed you for good or bad reasons?

In Cuba I mostly stayed in the Touristy area, but I also went to Havana, all around it, and even in Varadero, I went outside the touristy area to the beaches where the locals went, etc..
Yes, mainly because i've been to many of them but, yet again, i did mention Spain

I've never had particularly bad experiences, just very random ones in both continents so I wouldn't count them as a 'pattern' for that reason. My picks required a bit of nitpicking, so to say I highlighted Spain merely because, like I said, it was easy for me to get along with the people and I didn't had the language barrier aspect that could create further distance between tourists and locals. England and France were OK in that aspect, no problems at all.

what's your take on italian hospitality? (if you've visited)
Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
country flag Vinceremo

Quote:
As for Americans, it's hard to generalize because the country is so big and people from different states are so different.
exactly, that's why even if I have spent a considerable amount of time there, wouldn't really dare to judge or even come up with little generalizations
Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
been to: spain, chile, bolivia, argentina, south africa, lesotho, swaziland, uruguay, peru, mozambique. in my experience spain was the unfriendliest and bolivia was the friendlist (even though i'm from chile, and chileans aren't well regarded there).

as for the map, i disagree with the concept. either the countries with left leaning governments aren't friendly to tourists in general or the map in question is a load of stinking crap. i think the latter is correct.
Do you think of Russia as a left leaning country?

Also Argentina?

Also I would think of Scandinavia as left leaning and it's in blue.

But, yeah. I've never heard any complaints about Bolivia. Also, I know I'm not up on these things, but I don't think of it as left leaning.

But, I agree in general that the map is suspect because I don't know the criteria or from what source the data comes.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
country flag arm

Quote:
Yes, mainly because i've been to many of them but, yet again, i did mention Spain

I've never had particularly bad experiences, just very random ones in both continents so I wouldn't count them as a 'pattern' for that reason. My picks required a bit of nitpicking, so to say I highlighted Spain merely because, like I said, it was easy for me to get along with the people and I didn't had the language barrier aspect that could create further distance between tourists and locals. England and France were OK in that aspect, no problems at all.

what's your take on italian hospitality? (if you've visited)
I have been to Italy many times, but when it comes to Italy it's never enough, still want to go to so many places.

I like Italians, you guys are really fun to get to know. For tourists, I have nothing bad to point out, but I don't have a lot of good aspects either. I think Italians have gotten used to tourists and accept them as part of their normal life, therefor they don't go out of their way to help tourist and they do not make a huge effort to seem nice and helpful. But when help is required, it is provided. Do you understand what I mean?

But I do love hanging out with Italians , I really do.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #26
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
I have been to Italy many times, but when it comes to Italy it's never enough, still want to go to so many places.

I like Italians, you guys are really fun to get to know. For tourists, I have nothing bad to point out, but I don't have a lot of good aspects either. I think Italians have gotten used to tourists and accept them as part of their normal life, therefor they don't go out of their way to help tourist and they do not make a huge effort to seem nice and helpful. But when help is required, it is provided. Do you understand what I mean?

Italians also have a good reputation as tourists here.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #27
country flag arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Do you think of Russia as a left leaning country?

Also Argentina?

Also I would think of Scandinavia as left leaning and it's in blue.

But, yeah. I've never heard any complaints about Bolivia. Also, I know I'm not up on these things, but I don't think of it as left leaning.

But, I agree in general that the map is suspect because I don't know the criteria or from what source the data comes.
They based the map on the same report I shared.

Here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...to-foreigners/ this article is a good read.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #28
country flag Vinceremo

Quote:

Absolutely, I think of us in that aspect pretty much the same and have received similar comments that we do tend to basically accept tourists (and specially the ones that actually plan to stay for a long time in the country, or to live) as 'one more'. Of course, it's not all perfect in that regard but I feel like the vibe is pretty good still fortunately!

about the last part, that's great to know if i ever go to Portugal, I believe i wouldn't have big trouble on getting by with my basic and rusty portuguese (with an accent , to add) and i guess i have that optimism because i do believe sometimes the language barrier aspect does play a bit of an important role when it comes to the impression you get from the country. It's not huge nor determining, not even close to that, but helps big time IMO.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #29
country flag arm

Quote:
Absolutely, I think of us in that aspect pretty much the same and have received similar comments that we do tend to basically accept tourists (and specially the ones that actually plan to stay for a long time in the country, or to live) as 'one more'. Of course, it's not all perfect in that regard but I feel like the vibe is pretty good still fortunately!

about the last part, that's great to know if i ever go to Portugal, I believe i wouldn't have big trouble on getting by with my basic and rusty portuguese (with an accent , to add) and i guess i have that optimism because i do believe sometimes the language barrier aspect does play a bit of an important role when it comes to the impression you get from the country. It's not huge nor determining, not even close to that, but helps big time IMO.
No worries. I do truly believe my country is one of the best when it comes to welcoming tourists. I have witnessed it many times, and I also do it myself. Recently, our National Tourism Office even released a video for the Portuguese inciting both the tourism sector and the people in general to be welcoming and nice to foreign tourists. If you understand a bit of portuguese here it is:

As for the language barrier, I don't agree that it plays that big of a role. People have ways to be nice and to help each other even if they don't speak the same language.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #30
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people are complaining about the French, both as tourists and as hosts, but I find them generally a lot of fun. The ones that come here to the UK are great, and when I go to France, they're charismatic and very helpful. What's the deal with everyone else?
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote