Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 03-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,854
arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

The World Economic Forum ranked 140 countries in order of their hospitality towards tourists.

Here is the report: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_TT_...eport_2013.pdf

And a slideshow of the top 10: http://www.bbc.com/travel/slideshow/...ming-countries



1. Iceland

2. New Zealand

3. Morocco

4. Macedonia

5. Austria

6. Senagal

7. Portugal

8. Bosnia and Herzegovina

9. Ireland

10. Burkina Faso




Washington Post also created this map, based on the same report, representing the most and the least welcoming countries t foreigners.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...to-foreigners/







What's your experience abroad? Which countries seemed the most and the least welcoming for you?

Last edited by arm : 03-26-2013 at 06:19 PM.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
country flag ProdigyEng
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 21
Posts: 27,826
ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Most welcoming : Ibiza - Went when I was 13, so obviously no clubbing element really available for me at that age, still got a great Holiday out of it, atmosphere was great, locals were friendly, drunk tourists were friendly, reps were friendly. Never felt uncomfortable.

Spain - Mainly Spanish speaking area, some may of found it difficult to survive. Was with School and locals again very friendly, despite language barrier, no strange looks because we were foreign or any thing like that. Great hosts.

Least welcoming: France - Always enjoy my time in France when I go with the family. My aunty has a house there and we go there quite often, used to also stop off at Eurocamp parks for a week before heading on to my aunties. Find the French natives rude and arrogant, not very helpful, and look at you as if you are aliens. They always push in queues for things and the drivers there a dangerous as fuck. Only really welcoming French I have encountered there is those who worked as Reps in the eurocamp parks, restaurant workers, or the locals that live in the houses by my Aunty's place.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,854
arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

OK, my experience.

Most welcoming:

The Netherlands: As a whole, the most polite people I have ever met. Very nice and helpful. Even if you don't ask for help, they will come to you and ask if you need help.
Serbia: Everyone in Serbia was very nice and welcoming, but I'll never forget this one guy I met on the train to Belgrade. He was Serbian and travelling from Austria, where he lived and worker, to Novi Sad in Serbia where his family lived. We were sharing the same cabin (him, me and 3 friends of mine) and we were asking him about Serbia, what to visit in Belgrade, etc.. He was teaching me some Serbian sentences to shout at Nole (I was travelling to watch him play DC). Then we fell asleep and when we woke up he was gone because his stop was before Belgrade. he had left us a box of chocolates and a farewell message.
Bosnia and Herzegovina: Ironically, my experience in Bosnia was very similar to my experience in Serbia, people were very nice and helpful in the same way.
Macedonia: People were just generally nice, had a pretty awesome experience at this traditional restaurant.



Least welcoming:

Belgium: Generally, people were not nice. This lady at this souvenir shop was acting like she was making me a favour. I really liked the places I visited, but not the people.
Czech Republic: Same.
Hungary: Having lived a year in Budapest, and loved the whole experience, the city and the country, I must say that Hungarians are not welcoming at all. They are rude, the language is as difficult as it gets, they know you don't understand it and they don't care, they'll still talk to you in Hungarian. I warmed up to the people during my stay, but that's because I stayed a long time and got to know them better. For the regular tourist staying only a few days, they are not welcoming at all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Most welcoming : Ibiza - Went when I was 13, so obviously no clubbing element really available for me at that age, still got a great Holiday out of it, atmosphere was great, locals were friendly, drunk tourists were friendly, reps were friendly. Never felt uncomfortable.
Well the whole place is pretty much designed for tourists. Having been there, I think it's pretty hard to assess whether the locals are welcoming or not, because you pretty much have close to zero contact with them, the whole Island is tourists and people working in tourism (and most of them aren't even from the Island) That is if you go there in the summer months.

Quote:
Spain - Mainly Spanish speaking area, some may of found it difficult to survive. Was with School and locals again very friendly, despite language barrier, no strange looks because we were foreign or any thing like that. Great hosts.
I think that the language barrier shouldn't be a factor in the equation for the most welcoming country. For example my own country - Portugal -, the older generations do not speak English, but I believe that is part of why they seem so nice and welcoming, because despite the language barrier, they make the biggest effort to help you and make you feel comfortable.

Quote:
Least welcoming: France - Always enjoy my time in France when I go with the family. My aunty has a house there and we go there quite often, used to also stop off at Eurocamp parks for a week before heading on to my aunties. Find the French natives rude and arrogant, not very helpful, and look at you as if you are aliens. They always push in queues for things and the drivers there a dangerous as fuck. Only really welcoming French I have encountered there is those who worked as Reps in the eurocamp parks, restaurant workers, or the locals that live in the houses by my Aunty's place.
From my experience, the French can be really though but also really nice. It helps if you speak the language, or if you make the effort to learn it or speak the basics.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
country flag ProdigyEng
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 21
Posts: 27,826
ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
OK, my experience.

Most welcoming:

The Netherlands: As a whole, the most polite people I have ever met. Very nice and helpful. Even if you don't ask for help, they will come to you and ask if you need help.
Serbia: Everyone in Serbia was very nice and welcoming, but I'll never forget this one guy I met on the train to Belgrade. He was Serbian and travelling from Austria, where he lived and worker, to Novi Sad in Serbia where his family lived. We were sharing the same cabin (him, me and 3 friends of mine) and we were asking him about Serbia, what to visit in Belgrade, etc.. He was teaching me some Serbian sentences to shout at Nole (I was travelling to watch him play DC). Then we fell asleep and when we woke up he was gone because his stop was before Belgrade. he had left us a box of chocolates and a farewell message.
Bosnia and Herzegovina: Ironically, my experience in Bosnia was very similar to my experience in Serbia, people were very nice and helpful in the same way.
Macedonia: People were just generally nice, had a pretty awesome experience at this traditional restaurant.



Least welcoming:

Belgium: Generally, people were not nice. This lady at this souvenir shop was acting like she was making me a favour. I really liked the places I visited, but not the people.
Czech Republic: Same.
Hungary: Having lived a year in Budapest, and loved the whole experience, the city and the country, I must say that Hungarians are not welcoming at all. They are rude, the language is as difficult as it gets, they know you don't understand it and they don't care, they'll still talk to you in Hungarian. I warmed up to the people during my stay, but that's because I stayed a long time and got to know them better. For the regular tourist staying only a few days, they are not welcoming at all.




Well the whole place is pretty much designed for tourists. Having been there, I think it's pretty hard to assess whether the locals are welcoming or not, because you pretty much have close to zero contact with them, the whole Island is tourists and people working in tourism (and most of them aren't even from the Island) That is if you go there in the summer months.



I think that the language barrier shouldn't be a factor in the equation for the most welcoming country. For example my own country - Portugal -, the older generations do not speak English, but I believe that is part of why they seem so nice and welcoming, because despite the language barrier, they make the biggest effort to help you and make you feel comfortable.



From my experience, the French can be really though but also really nice. It helps if you speak the language, or if you make the effort to learn it or speak the basics.
That's why I will try and learn the language, but they should speak some English, no? .
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,854
arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
That's why I will try and learn the language, but they should speak some English, no? .
Not really, English is not the official language of the world. But the French should be nice no matter what!
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
country flag ProdigyEng
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 21
Posts: 27,826
ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Indeed. I still don't know which language to learn first, French or Spanish
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,854
arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Indeed. I still don't know which language to learn first, French or Spanish
Depends on what is the reason why you want to learn a new language! But Spanish is more widely spoken, has far more native speakers and is the official language of a larger number of countries than French. And it's easier.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
country flag dinkulpus
-_-
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Age: 22
Posts: 27,430
dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Bulgaria is in red
__________________

Tennis Tipping 2014


Singles : 128 (Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 71 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) SF Umag (with kr1s17an) Won : Cordeones CH (with Freak3yman84)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 10:6 (ATP 1:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,854
arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marto View Post
Bulgaria is in red
By all means, do defend your country's honor!
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
country flag Vinceremo
Registered User
 
Vinceremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Age: 23
Posts: 1,546
Vinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

most welcoming in my experience:

Dominican Rep: very friendly people overall, just happy and with a great sense of humour for the most part. While i was in the resort, that was a tougher task to know since it was filled by tourists but both the local workers and people in the towns I visited were always very nice, helpful and joyful. Great atmosphere.

Mexico: similar ^ great treatment from the people, curious about my country, friendly and willing to help.

Spain: I found it very easy to get along well with people everywhere I went, guess speaking spanish fluently helped my cause here as well not a big jump in cultural differences at all too, so felt like at home tbh.

least:

Panama: it wasn't a travel with strictly tourism purposes, neither did we visit any local attractions so it's difficult to judge but I noticed people were more focused on just minding their business and not really as helpful with foreigners.

Ecuador: no complaints at all but out of all the countries i've visited in South America, by far the least welcoming. can't generalize but I don't feel like they trust tourists as much, nor are interested in giving a good image of their hospitality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Depends on what is the reason why you want to learn a new language! But Spanish is more widely spoken, has far more native speakers and is the official language of a larger number of countries than French. And it's easier.
agreed!
__________________
Per aspera ad astra
★★★
Vinceremo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
country flag rocketassist
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,682
rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Only been to France, Andorra and Spain and had no problems at all.

regarding welcoming for tourists/foreigners, I'm surprised the UK is so high, there's so many xenophobic pricks here, then again this dreadful government has convinced them all immigration is to blame for their poor term in office.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
country flag abraxas21
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 28
Posts: 12,580
abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Washington Post also created this map representing the most and the least welcoming countries t foreigners.

what a load of crap. Hilarious how the countries with left leaning governments get more reddish colours washington post spreading their political propaganda once again, it seems.

Bolivia is easily the most welcoming and friendly country I've ever been to. btw.
__________________
abraxas21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
country flag dinkulpus
-_-
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Age: 22
Posts: 27,430
dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
By all means, do defend your country's honor!
Blue, we can't be have same one as Iran, Saudi Arabia and etc.
__________________

Tennis Tipping 2014


Singles : 128 (Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 71 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) SF Umag (with kr1s17an) Won : Cordeones CH (with Freak3yman84)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 10:6 (ATP 1:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,854
arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceremo View Post
most welcoming in my experience:

Dominican Rep: very friendly people overall, just happy and with a great sense of humour for the most part. While i was in the resort, that was a tougher task to know since it was filled by tourists but both the local workers and people in the towns I visited were always very nice, helpful and joyful. Great atmosphere.

Mexico: similar ^ great treatment from the people, curious about my country, friendly and willing to help.

Spain: I found it very easy to get along well with people everywhere I went, guess speaking spanish fluently helped my cause here as well not a big jump in cultural differences at all too, so felt like at home tbh.

least:

Panama: it wasn't a travel with strictly tourism purposes, neither did we visit any local attractions so it's difficult to judge but I noticed people were more focused on just minding their business and not really as helpful with foreigners.

Ecuador: no complaints at all but out of all the countries i've visited in South America, by far the least welcoming. can't generalize but I don't feel like they trust tourists as much, nor are interested in giving a good image of their hospitality.



agreed!
I had a similar experience in Cuba. Where are you from? Italy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Only been to France, Andorra and Spain and had no problems at all.

regarding welcoming for tourists/foreigners, I'm surprised the UK is so high, there's so many xenophobic pricks here, then again this dreadful government has convinced them all immigration is to blame for their poor term in office.
The Brits are OK to tourists, that's my experience. This isn't really about immigrants and that can explain the ranking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
what a load of crap. Hilarious how the countries with left leaning governments get more reddish colours washington post spreading their political propaganda once again, it seems.

Bolivia is easily the most welcoming and friendly country I've ever been to. btw.
So which countries have you actually been to, besides Bolivia, and whose ranking you disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marto View Post
Blue, we can't be have same one as Iran, Saudi Arabia and etc.
Actually I have heard that Iranians are the most welcoming people. A lot of people that have been there have told me that.

Like I told you, I don't have the best experience with Bulgarians, but it's not terrible either.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
country flag The Prince
Registered User
 
The Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hiding
Posts: 11,868
The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

When I visited Egypt back in 2006, I loved it, mostly because they were so friendly to us as tourists.
Netherlands is great in this regard as well. France and Belgium very welcoming, contrary to what others may think.

Unfortunately, I find Greece, which is quite a popular holiday destination for our family, to be less than welcoming, not that it bothers me at all. I go there for sun and warm weather at cheap costs, rather than to make friends with the locals.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios