Racquet placement after serve? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-19-2004, 07:18 AM   #1
country flag GenesisX

GenesisX is on a distinguished road
Default Racquet placement after serve?

I never thought about this during gameplay, but I just sat down and thought...where should my racquet end up after my serve? As in, across my body (side opposite of where my serve started) or on the same side? I searched for images of pros' serves, and I found both. Which one is better?
GenesisX is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racquet placement after serve?

Usually, for me atleast, the raquet is across my body right after the serve. It it depends on you're service motion.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:55 AM   #3
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

You could always try it Becker-style and have it end up on the side of your serving arm although I don't think many people would feel it to be to natural
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 09:00 AM   #4
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE
You could always try it Becker-style and have it end up on the side of your serving arm although I don't think many people would feel it to be to natural
I think I'd rather not take the risk.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:22 AM   #5
country flag LiZpHaIr

LiZpHaIr has a reputation beyond reputeLiZpHaIr has a reputation beyond reputeLiZpHaIr has a reputation beyond reputeLiZpHaIr has a reputation beyond reputeLiZpHaIr has a reputation beyond reputeLiZpHaIr has a reputation beyond reputeLiZpHaIr has a reputation beyond reputeLiZpHaIr has a reputation beyond reputeLiZpHaIr has a reputation beyond reputeLiZpHaIr has a reputation beyond reputeLiZpHaIr has a reputation beyond repute

Between your legs.
LiZpHaIr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:25 AM   #6
country flag Domino

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Opposite site, it just is more efficient. Doing it on the same side puts way too much emphasis on a final wrist snap, and can screw up your wrist, ala Boris. Going to the other side alleviates the stress on the wrist for all the complicated spins, and is just the same on the flat drive really than than the same side follow through. A lot of serve pictured showing the racquet afterwards are deceiving as well, because really the wrist snap for topspin should come to the same side, but the racquet is still comming back to the oppoisite side.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...o/kafelkv4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...no/ivanis5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...no/henman5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...mino/graf4.jpg

All these photos are really showing how the best way is to snap out to the same side but follow through to the opposite.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:35 PM   #7
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

a few years ago i served and my racket ended up on the same side.....and my serve was like the worst part of my game. then about a year, maybe a year and a half ago i totally reworked my serve and tits one of the best parts of my game....and the racket end up on the opposite side. i think its probably a lot more difficult to have a great serve with the racket ending up on the other side, so obviously not many people do it like that
superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:49 PM   #8
country flag Rex

Rex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond repute

when you serve, you can end on the same side or the opposite side, with that a flat or slice usually has your racquet on the opposite side, but if your going to put in a kickserve then you would end on the same side, but personally i snap my wrist to the opposite quickly.
Srichaphan- The Thai- ger of tennis.
Safin - The of tennis.
Bagdatis- The quotesman of tennis "my coach will watch, i will sleep with my girlfriend"
Kiefer- The naive guy, "yeh, me and seb are good friends"
Santoro- The double handed wizard of tennis.
Lopez- IS my hair right? IS my lipstick right?
Moya- The tatoo and muscles of tennis (although nadal kicks his ass in that department).
Tipsarevic- The tatoo of tennis, competing with moya.
Djokovic- Stole Jiri's surname

Sorry if I left out your favourite, just PM me to let me know-- thanks.
Rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 09:40 PM   #9
country flag GenesisX

GenesisX is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies. My racquet usually ends up on the opposite side also, but it seemed kind of odd for the serve to end up where I wanted it to be if my swing isn't "straight" (above my head on the right side, down to next to me on the right side; ie ending on the same side). Anyway, thanks again.
GenesisX is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 09:52 PM   #10
country flag Fedex

For some tips on how to serve really big, I might advise you to watch some clips of Nalbandian serving.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:56 PM   #11
country flag Leena
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

Leena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond repute

It's just natural for the follow through to go across your body. If you keep it on the same side, you're turning your elbow and wrist, and none of that is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpinkone37
and my serve was like the worst part of my game. then about a year, maybe a year and a half ago i totally reworked my serve and tits one of the best parts of my game
Tits gets in the way when serving.
Leena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #12
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leena.
It's just natural for the follow through to go across your body. If you keep it on the same side, you're turning your elbow and wrist, and none of that is good.

Tits gets in the way when serving.
I understand the joke, but yours aren't very big at all?
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:32 PM   #13
country flag Leena
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse

Leena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond reputeLeena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae wowww
I understand the joke, but yours aren't very big at all?
True, but they still get in the way.

Although, Iroda has a fine serve... so, it might just be a myth.

Nalbandian, also.
Leena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:38 PM   #14
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leena.
True, but they still get in the way.

Although, Iroda has a fine serve... so, it might just be a myth.

Nalbandian, also.
David's tits have ruined his serve. Isn't Venus' second serve is quicker than his first?
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site

Last edited by ae wowww : 12-19-2004 at 10:44 PM.
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 06:24 AM   #15
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute

your racket should end up across your body after serving, but within a microsecond you shoud have both hands on it preparing for the return of serve. and remember to split-step.

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote