3.0 Player frustrated with forehand.......help! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
country flag clattin

clattin is on a distinguished road
Default 3.0 Player frustrated with forehand.......help!

I began playing tennis a year ago and have had a few lessons, but generally play a lot. I'm really getting frustrated with my forehand. I really want a good topspin forehand but I find that if I try to put much pace on them at all, they go long. I know that I frequently don't follow through which will make me hit them long, I think. I also know that I probably need to be hitting the ball further out in front of me. I think I'm waiting too long and the ball is almost even with me when I hit it. I use a semi-Western forehand grip.

I practice some with the ball machine at my club, but find that I can begin hitting them very good, but when I make a small change to how the ball machine throws them, I start hitting them long again.

My goal is to be a solid 3.5 player by the end of the summer. Right now, I'm a pretty solid 3.0 player with my serve being my biggest scoring weapon. I have a big, flat, first serve and have a solid spin serve for a second and to keep them off balance. It doesn't do much good though if my ground strokes won't keep me in the game though!

What should I be working on? Any sage advice? What drills should I be doing?

Thanks a ton!

Chris

Last edited by clattin : 03-22-2013 at 06:29 PM.
clattin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
country flag Moonball Pusher
Banned!

Moonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3.0 Player frustrated with forehand.......help!

Probably just need to work on a consistent swing/follow through and your brushing-up motion on the ball. Really think about brushing up the back of the ball until you do it naturally. Where does your racquet end up on the follow through?
Moonball Pusher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
country flag Popo21

Popo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond repute

^exactly what he said

I stopped playing tennis for a good 5 years and when I started up again I had the exact same problem you do. You really need to concentrate on getting a little more brushing on the hit or windshield on the follow through to add a bit more spin to get it to stay in.

At first you will probably sacrifice a bit of power to make sure you get the extra spin on it, but it will be worth it to keep the balls in. Once you get the balls in and deep consistently, you can put your focus more toward the power.

Crazies Dolgopolov - Fognini - Janowicz - Gulbis

Young Guns Thiem - Vesely - Coppejans
Popo21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
country flag Stanimal

Stanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond repute

Move your grip down a level and it'll create the pace without forcing it.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Stanimal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
country flag T.C

T.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond repute

Get a pro to watch you and tell you what you're doing wrong with your forehand and how you should correct it. Advice on strokes is better coming from someone who has actually SEEN your strokes.
T.C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
country flag GasquetGulbis

GasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond repute

It's kind of a confusing concept, but if you're trying to hit a lot of topspin, then the faster you go up the back of the ball the shorter in the court the ball will go. So if you're hitting topspin forehands and they're going deep, you might need to accelerate more or swing faster vertically to make the ball come down faster.
GasquetGulbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote