Opinions? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-11-2005, 01:24 AM   #1
country flag jole

jole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opinions?

Anyone here have an opinion on this tournament? My stupid spring break is always right before the Miami tournament (which I love ), but I am thinking about going to Indian Wells since it wouldn't require me to miss class. Apparently Palm Springs is closest airport, tons of places to stay near it, and I heard the tennis facility is about 20-25 minutes from the airport area?
jole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 06:56 AM   #2
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions?

If you can stand the heat during the day and the cold when the sun goes down, its not a bad tournament. There are a range of hotels affiliated with the tournament and each one has an hourly shuttle that takes you to the tournament and back to your hotel. I stayed at the Embassy Suites last year with 3 other women. There were two beds in one room and a fold out couch in the front room so we had plenty of space and we got breakfast every morning. The heat can be WICKED during the day so take a hat, sunscreen, and plenty of water and wear comfortable clothing. As soon as the sun goes down the temperature drops about 30 degrees F and the breeze can kick up too. All of the hotels and restaurants are along the same street and a taxi up and down that street shouldn't be too expensive. You might need to book your hotel through the tournament website in order to get a room. I heard they were filling up (and both of the player hotels are already booked). The site itself is pretty easy to get around because it's flat and all of the practice courts are lined up in a row. Two of the 'show' practice courts have seating. The main stadium is huge, but the outside courts are not nearly as big. Food and drinks are kind of expensive. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but let me know if you have specific questions and I'll try to jog my memory.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
country flag jole

jole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Fee, thanks a ton for the information.

One more question. I am having trouble finding out where the location of the tournament actually is. Is it in Palm Springs itself? I've been checking Expedia, Travelocity, etc for packages and the deals are quite nice. The issue perhaps is some of the hotels are near the airport, and I have a feeling the tournament is a ways from the airport/downtown Palm Springs. Do you recall where the tournament and surrounding restaurants/hotels are located in respect to the Palm Springs Airport? I was thinking about renting a car, but taxi and shuttle use might be cheaper in the end I guess.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:19 AM   #4
country flag jole

Or well, I just realized the event itself is in Indian Wells (duh). But I would still want to fly into Palm Springs.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:31 AM   #5
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Fly into Palm Springs, get an airport shuttle to your hotel (buy a roundtrip ticket to save a few dollars), and use the tournament shuttles to get around as much as you can and taxis for the rest of the time. Indian Wells is about 25 minutes from the airport, so you definitely want a hotel with an IW address. Start with the ones listed on the tournament site and try to find some nearby if none of those price ranges work for you. If you don't stay in a tournament hotel, you might need to rent a car. If you are renting a car, it might be cheaper to fly into Ontario Airport and drive straight down the 10 freeway for one hour. There are also some hotels in La Quinta, which is right next to Indian Wells.
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
country flag jole

Ok, this makes sense. Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:53 AM   #7
country flag jole

Hotels seem to be the biggest issue. I can't seem to find anything available in Indian Wells itself in my price range. Found a nice place in Indio, so I think I am going to just rent a car. And since I am renting a car, going to just fly into LAX. Long drive, but it's so much cheaper flying into Los Angeles, compared to Ontario/Palm Springs.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:56 PM   #8
country flag dkginger

dkginger has a reputation beyond reputedkginger has a reputation beyond reputedkginger has a reputation beyond reputedkginger has a reputation beyond reputedkginger has a reputation beyond reputedkginger has a reputation beyond reputedkginger has a reputation beyond reputedkginger has a reputation beyond reputedkginger has a reputation beyond reputedkginger has a reputation beyond reputedkginger has a reputation beyond repute

You might also look in Palm Desert - there is Comfort Inn, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Palm Desert Lodge, Inn at Deep Canyon, Vacation Inn. There really aren't any hotels in IW itself -except the SUPER ritzy player hotels. Indio can be junky, so beware. Parking at the Tennis is $7.00 a day, unless you have box seats and parking came with your ticket. Look on the map and the tennis garden is at the corner of Jefferson and Hwy. 111.
dkginger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:03 AM   #9
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbatyfan
Hotels seem to be the biggest issue. I can't seem to find anything available in Indian Wells itself in my price range. Found a nice place in Indio, so I think I am going to just rent a car. And since I am renting a car, going to just fly into LAX. Long drive, but it's so much cheaper flying into Los Angeles, compared to Ontario/Palm Springs.
Palm Desert is the ticket for the cheaper hotels. The Marriot Courtyard has a shuttle to the tournament site. It's in Palm Desert. Holiday Inn Express is in Palm Desert and I think it may have a shuttle too. These hotels fill up fast for the tournament. If worse comes to worse, you can sleep on my couch.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:04 AM   #10
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkginger
You might also look in Palm Desert - there is Comfort Inn, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Palm Desert Lodge, Inn at Deep Canyon, Vacation Inn. There really aren't any hotels in IW itself -except the SUPER ritzy player hotels. Indio can be junky, so beware. Parking at the Tennis is $7.00 a day, unless you have box seats and parking came with your ticket. Look on the map and the tennis garden is at the corner of Jefferson and Hwy. 111.
The Tennis Garden is at Washington and Miles Avenue.... about one block north of Hwy 111.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote