Whole Foods Vows to Label GMO’s by 2018 - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #46
country flag Andresito

Andresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whole Foods Vows to Label GMO’s by 2018

I agree with labeling. Then you can decide what to buy, is not that difficult.

Argentina was one of the first countries to approve GMO soy (1996), then corn and cotton.

The technology was huge for us in terms of commercial value. For example, the actual government relies on soybeans exports taxes (close to 45%)

While organic & non GMO (side note: non GMO and organic is not the same thing) food seems healthier, sadly can't supply all the people.

For consideration: why don't we discuss about the food price / value system? In some moments, for a producer is more beneficial to throw food (literally) because more amount of an specific fruit / vegetable / animal would mean lowering the price.

Also, if the quantity is the problem, why are we still keeping food? (you name it: cans, bottles, refrigeration)

Sorry for my english, I would like to participate more on this debate but I'm very limited.

Argentum Virtus Robur et Studium
Andresito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #47
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andresito View Post
I agree with labeling. Then you can decide what to buy, is not that difficult.

Argentina was one of the first countries to approve GMO soy (1996), then corn and cotton.

The technology was huge for us in terms of commercial value. For example, the actual government relies on soybeans exports taxes (close to 45%)

While organic & non GMO (side note: non GMO and organic is not the same thing) food seems healthier, sadly can't supply all the people.

For consideration: why don't we discuss about the food price / value system? In some moments, for a producer is more beneficial to throw food (literally) because more amount of an specific fruit / vegetable / animal would mean lowering the price.

Also, if the quantity is the problem, why are we still keeping food? (you name it: cans, bottles, refrigeration)

Sorry for my english, I would like to participate more on this debate but I'm very limited.
I could understand well enough.

Thanks for the input.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXÈ

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
swisht4u is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #48
country flag superslam77

superslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
GMO = good thing, enables us to produce more food with less resources, a thing that we will need when the world population increases
exactly one of the reasons why overpopulation is bad=gmo is bad
forever altering the natural evolution of species which took millions/billions of years to get here

numbers are not everything.
superslam77 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #49
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
Hilarious.

That doesn't explain a thing. Why would GMOs be dangerous? What is the mechanic that would make it dangerous? how about answering that instead of pseudo-research.

Breeding also genetically modifies but slower. Most plants and farm animals today has have genes so far from their natural "relatives" that it's astounishing and it has taken hundreds of years, in some cases thousands, to breed certain species. Yet we happily eat them.

With true genetic modification you can cheat nature and take a shortcut. What used to take hundreds of generations can be done almost right away.

Is it dangerous? We don't work cells or DNA into our body from anything we eat, instead it's broken down into the basic components, in case of proteins those are the 22 amino acids. Those are then used to synthezise proteins using the bodies own blueprint and not from the things we eat. It's not very complicated to understand that we don't actually take up genes from what we eat.

Instead we should worry about pesticides and the use of antibiotics etc that will lead to severe environmental damage and also resistant bacteria. Much better to have superior GM plants and animals then so we can lower the use of pesticides and medication/vaccinations of animals.
Thank you. When I saw the thread, my first thought was, "All the food we eat has been genetically modified."

I don't have a problem with the labeling though. I just wish they would make producers identify the hormones that are in dairy products and meant products.

But next time you find some wheat that has NOT been genetically modified, let me know. Or any grain whatsoever. All of them have been genetically modified by man for one purpose or another.

There's far more danger from ingesting hormones fed to livestock and from fertilizer used to grow plants.

Last edited by star : 04-30-2013 at 08:07 PM.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #50
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Thank you. When I saw the thread, my first thought was, "All the food we eat has been genetically modified."

I don't have a problem with the labeling though. I just wish they would make producers identify the hormones that are in dairy products and meant products.

But next time you find some wheat that has NOT been genetically modified, let me know. Or any grain whatsoever. All of them have been genetically modified by man for one purpose or another.

There's far more danger from ingesting hormones fed to livestock and from fertilizer used to grow plants.
Why???

Did you miss this quote from above?

Quote:
"What we found is that the molecules created in this wheat, intended to silence wheat genes, can match human genes, and through ingestion, these molecules can enter human beings and potentially silence our genes," Heinemann stated. "The findings are absolutely assured. There is no doubt that these matches exist."
Flinders University Professor Judy Carman and Safe Food Foundation Director Scott Kinnear concurred with Heinemann's analysis.

"If this silences the same gene in us that it silences in the wheat -- well, children who are born with this enzyme not working tend to die by the age of about five," Carman said.
This doesn't sound like the genetically modified genes we're used to.

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #51
country flag swisht4u

Please do a little research before posting, several posts are just putting down words without any evidence.

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz