Gender and racial segregation in Israel - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gender and racial segregation in Israel

Quote:
A 22-year-old woman was subjected to verbal abuse and humiliation by haredim while traveling on a bus from Jerusalem to Arad on Saturday evening, Yedioth Ahronoth reported.

Miri Bleicher, a counselor for Jewish youths visiting Israel, boarded the 555 Egged bus to Arad on Saturday evening after spending the weekend visiting friends in Jerusalem. The unpleasant experience had started even before she boarded the bus.

"The bus arrived but the driver didn't open the front door, it then pulled away and stopped. I chased after it, it pulled away again and then stopped, until the driver eventually opened the door," she recalls.

"When I got on the bus, I found myself in another world. On the front, four haredim were standing and inspecting me in a hostile manner. The driver promised them that after I paid I would enter through the backdoor," Miri says.

At this point, she realized that the men were expecting her to sit in the back where all of the women were sitting. She refused to enter through the backdoor and bravely walked past the men who mumbled hateful slurs at her, including "shiksa."

To avoid a confrontation she decided to sit in the back. "It was crowded because of all of the baby strollers; there was noise and babies were crying, so at one point I decided to stand up. The back was full of strollers so I stood in the middle of the bus, between the men and the women."

Miri says the men sitting nearby made vomiting sounds and called her a "nuisance." She further claims that one of them approached her and shouted, "You're not respecting my rights."

Paralyzed by fear, she didn't answer back. A short while later she came under attack by the women passengers. "They told me I wasn't Jewish and that I was trying to spite them," she says.

The verbal abuse continued throughout the ride. "I was insulted the entire way and was in tears," she says. "No one helped me."

The nightmare lasted an hour and a half, until the bus reached Arad. Before disembarking, Miri was again subjected to slurs and was spat on by one of the passengers. "I was shocked. I couldn't believe this could happen in my country."

Egged spokesman Ron Ratner said in response, "The driver welcomed the passenger in the appropriate manner and his behavior was without fault. She didn't seek out his help and he didn't notice what was going on between her and the passengers.

"Had she approached him he would have immediately stopped the harassment and might have even called the police."

Be Free Israel, a movement promoting freedom of religion in Israel, said: "We have been fighting women's exclusion for three years. Sadly, despite the High Court's rulings, we still get complaints of humiliation on buses."

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...330287,00.html
Wait, I thought Israel was a haven of democracy in the middle east and that this type of blatant discrimination only happened in awful and terrible regimes like iran, egypt and syria. i'm confused

For those of you wondering, if this happened to a white (and jewish?) woman, now imagine what it's like for Arab women living in the so called Jewish State.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
country flag Tyrannous
Banned!

Tyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gender and racial segregation in Israel

You are biased. But definetely a disgraceful treatment of a young woman. I lived in Israel but never experienced such discrimination towards arab people.
The whole world is against Israel but many people just forget history.
Tyrannous is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannous View Post
You are biased.
How so? I love how westerners love to tell others how biased they are without even realizing that they are usually as biased as a person can be.

You people live in an illusion of freedom and respect for basic rights when in reality nothing could be further from the reality. In spite of it (because you can't see it and obviously are convinced that your nation is free and for the most part respectful of others), you can't help to sit tall in your high horse and start attacking third world countries for what your free media and government tells you it's abusive and disrespectful. the hipocrisy would be hilarious if only there weren't real-life consequences of the policies your people tacitly and igorantly support.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

Jews are not necessarily white, there are even black Jews from Ethiopia and other African countries. Example, singer Hagit Yaso.

Also I have a Jewish friend who is totally blonde with blue eyes

as for the topic, I am not quite sure I understand the circumstances. What kind of bus that was etc...from my experience this is a very unusual situation.
ssin is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
country flag Tyrannous
Banned!

Tyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannous has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
How so? I love how westerners love to tell others how biased they are without even realizing that they are usually as biased as a person can be.
I meant that you are taking this out of context. I agree, things like this should not happen at all, but then again, let's just check the other side as well.
Westerners? No, I am not a westerner by any means. I just automatically ignore any type of extremism.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssin View Post
Jews are not necessarily white, there are even black Jews from Ethiopia and other African countries. Example, singer Hagit Yaso.

Also I have a Jewish friend who is totally blonde with blue eyes
i am aware of this. The lady in the article is white, I'm simply not sure if she is Jewish (perhaps someone can confirm this).

Ashkenazi jews are usually whiter than Sephardi, Ethiopian and other Jews. There are many indicators that racial discrimination exists even among jews and in Israel the Ashkenazi are clearly on top of the social scale in terms of income, education, opportunities, etc.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
country flag Tyrannous
Banned!

Quote:
You people live in an illusion of freedom and respect for basic rights when in reality nothing could be further from the reality. In spite of it (because you can't see it and obviously are convinced that your nation is free and for the most part respectful of others), you can't help to sit tall in your high horse and start attacking third world countries for what your free media and government tells you it's abusive and disrespectful. the hipocrisy would be hilarious if only there weren't real-life consequences of the policies your people tacitly and igorantly support.
No and no. The country I live in is as democratic as the Soviet Russia was. I understand and get your point on this. I've never bought what the media/government told me. On the other hand though, people are dissing Israel and it's policies without putting things into a historical context.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannous View Post
No and no. The country I live in is as democratic as the Soviet Russia was. I understand and get your point on this. I've never bought what the media/government told me. On the other hand though, people are dissing Israel and it's policies without putting things into a historical context.
I take it back, then. Out of curiosity, what are your backgrounds and where do you live?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
country flag Tyrannous
Banned!

Quote:
I take it back, then. Out of curiosity, what are your backgrounds and where do you live?
Let's just say I live in Eastern Europe even though I was born in Australia and lived in Israel for two years. I have jewish, german and rusyn background.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Arabs are well know for their love of others.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

i saw stuff like this happening in london as well

i guess douchebaggery is a global problem

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Intolerance of others will bring down mankind.

I wish someone had the balls to step up and hug the poor girl, tell her everything will be ok, even one person can make differences.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

"Westerners" are most often against Israel with the exception of americans. I see a bunch of idiot feminists and leftists march with islamists and arab nationalists every day with their Palestina flags and one side screams "hate american and Israel imperialists" and the other in arab say "Kill the filthy jews". Probably because they like a good underdog because of leftist dogma that says the weaker part is always good and the one with power is evil, I couldnt care less because both sides are insane and bloody nationalistic religious fanatics, you both have my blessings to blow each other to pieces.

Lets tell the truth, the sionist fanatics would kill and deport every palestinian, Jordanian and some syrian and lebanese to steal their lands and create "greater Israel" if not it would weaken their image as historical victims to the rest of the world, so they need to do it smart and carefully. Palestinians and other arabs would kill every single jew under every stone if they ever had the power to defeat Israel in the battlefield in a fullscale invasion.

That is to say one side is smart enought to see that fullside genocide would weaken their position in international stage and the other simply doesnt have the power to commit murder on mass scale.

I dont know why people feel so much for either side, they are both bloody insane (ok Israeli leadership is too smart and machiavelic to be called insane, their nationalism may even spring from rational grounds, but that doestnt make them more sympathetic at all). I would rather invest energy on the forgotten Tibet struggle for independence where one side really is sympathetic.

Last edited by sexybeast : 03-16-2013 at 04:17 PM.
sexybeast is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wait, I thought Israel was a haven of democracy in the middle east and that this type of blatant discrimination only happened in awful and terrible regimes like iran, egypt and syria. i'm confused
No need to be confused. I will help you.This article seems to be about a few extremists behaving unlawfully, if indeed it happened that way. In the awful and terrible regimes you mention it is the actual regime that discriminates.

When you talk about democracy you have attempted to equate the behaviour of a few individuals with government policy. Wrong! In such case there would be no such thing as a democratic state anywhere.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I find this quite sad. You seem to be totally eaten up by a sense of persecution.
If we are all "you people" and you know everything about us, I think you,owe it to us to tell us who you are.