Another Australian Young Gun: Omar Jasika - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Australian Young Gun: Omar Jasika

Winning an overseas ITF grade one event at 15 years old is thread worthy in my opinion.

Born: 18 May 1997
Birth place: Clarinda, Victoria
Plays: Left handed (double handed backhand)

Article from December last year:

Quote:
After picking up his first ATP point earlier this year and in doing so earning himself a world ranking, Victorian tennis player Omar Jasika (Clarinda) has sights set on a bigger and better 2013.

Jasika has established himself as one of the best 15 year olds in the country and although he has many highlights in his young career, he says receiving an ATP point tops them all.

“I’ve wanted to get one for ages now and I played really well to get it,” said Jasika.

“I’ve got another 3 after that and I’m just trying to get as many as I can to try get my ranking up … it feels pretty cool, to be called a professional tennis player.”

Jasika’s four ATP points have him ranked No.1242 in the world, a notable achievement considering his young age.

After picking up a racquet at the age of six, Jasika honed his skills by hitting against a brick wall and although he boasts an ITF Junior Ranking of 84, he acknowledges there is still plenty of work ahead.

“I’ve been working on everything (in training) but mostly my mind when I’m on court,” he said.

“I’ve been seeing a sports psychologist, trying to see what has been working for me on court and it’s been working.”

Jasika’s coach, Victorian National Academy Coach Craig Tyzzer, said the pair were looking to take Jasika’s ranking into the ITF top 20 by the end of 2013.

“We are definitely looking at a pro career for Omar, he is currently the third best 15 year old in the world and with continued work and development we are hopeful of a very successful career,” said Tyzzer.

But he also added that there is still room for improvement in Jasika’s game which they would address in the New Year.

Looking to the future, left-handed Jasika said his long term aim was to reach number one in the world, while in 2013 he wants to spend time travelling and improving his ITF ranking.

“I am trying to get my ranking up so I can play all the Junior Grand Slams next year, that’s my main goal,” he said.”
http://www.tennis.com.au/vic/news/20...irst-atp-point

Well he's practically already reached his 2013 year-end ranking goal as his grade one title slots him in at #21 in the junior rankings. He beat the only 15 year old ranked above him at the boys' Australian Open this year before falling in the third round to eventual champion Kyrgios.

Jasika will play two more junior ITF events in this Asian swing with Malaysia next and then the Philippines.

Last edited by n8 : 03-13-2013 at 06:02 AM.
n8 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
country flag The_Aussie17
Banned!

The_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Australian Young Gun: Omar Jasika

[quote=StatRacket;14012698]Winning an overseas ITF grade one event at 15 years old is thread worthy in my opinion.

Plays: Right handed (double handed backhand)

Pretty sure he is a lefty? The photo on the tennis Aus website is of a left hander.
The_Aussie17 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=The_Aussie17;14012786]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aussie17 View Post
Winning an overseas ITF grade one event at 15 years old is thread worthy in my opinion.

Plays: Right handed (double handed backhand)

Pretty sure he is a lefty? The photo on the tennis Aus website is of a left hander.
You're right, thanks. He's the one serving (and hitting a tweener!) in this video:

Last edited by n8 : 03-13-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
country flag The_Aussie17
Banned!

The_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=StatRacket;14012818]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Aussie17 View Post

You're right, thanks. He's the one serving (and hitting a tweener!) in this video:

Is he playing with Nick? And he doesn't appear very tall or powerful lets hope he can grow a little over 180cm then...
The_Aussie17 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
country flag n8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Aussie17 View Post
Is he playing with Nick? And he doesn't appear very tall or powerful lets hope he can grow a little over 180cm then...
Yeah, that was the final of the Osaka Mayor's Cup 'World Super Junior Tennis Championships' Grade A event in October last year. They lost 6-3 6-7(6) [4-10] to Coric and Sendegeya. Nick making it work with yet another doubles partner.

Yeah, he does look pretty small but as you say there's still time to grow.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
country flag Ace20

Ace20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond repute

Always good too see another young talent coming up

Tsonga | Raonic | Dimitrov | Nishikori | Janowicz | Tomic | Sock | D.Y. | Harrison Bothers | Thiem | Kyrgios

Peliwo | Khachanov | Ymer Bothers | Kokkinakis | Coppejans | K. Edmund | Coric | Quinzi | Garin
Djere | L. Broady | JWH | Saville | Milojevic | Tatlot | Couacaud | Tiafoe | Mmoh | Kozlov | Rubin | O. Luz
Ace20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
country flag n8

Jasika made it to the semi-finals of Grade 1 in the Philippines the week before last. His opponent then received a walkover into the final. Looking at Jasika's ranking breakdown, he didn't receive any points for this semi-final finish. This makes me suspect that something a bit iffy went on. If anyone could shed light on this I would be grateful.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
country flag Sam21

Sam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond repute

this week Omar will train with Janko Tipsarevic. hope he enjoys the experience of hitting with one of the big boys!

Quote:
Promising Aussie junior Omar Jasika has scored an incredible opportunity – this week the 15-year-old will travel to Europe for a training stint with world No.10 Janko Tipsarevic.

Jasika’s trip has been made possible through a Technifibre and ATP program in which Tipsarevic mentors a selected few up-and-coming juniors, sponsored by Tecnifibre.

Jasika, accompanied by coach Liam Smith, will join Tipsarevic from 8-14 April in Nice and Monte Carlo, before staying on to train further and compete in both junior and professional tournaments in the lead-up to the junior events at Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

Currently the ITF junior No.31, Jasika is the third-highest ranked player of his age in the world, and the youngest player to be invited by Technifibre to participate in the training program in its recent history.

Technifibre is a French-based tennis equipment manufacturer.
http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2013/0...-of-a-lifetime
Sam21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
country flag Dead Net Cord

Dead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Dead Net Cord : 04-24-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Dead Net Cord is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
country flag Chris.

Chris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond repute

Nice video. Than for posting.
Chris. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
country flag Southend Aussies

Southend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond repute

Omar will play in Italy F6 in Pozzuoli next week. He will also be joined by Tasmanian Harry Bourchier in the event.

Singles Rank: (93); Career High (93)- Winner Como (CH) 2013, Mansfield (CH) 2013, Taipei City (CH) 2014.

Doubles Rank: (90); Career High (90) - Winner of Como (CH) 2013, Quimper (CH) 2014, Le Gosier (CH) 2014 with AussieAdz.

Semi Finalist in Queens and Bogota ATP.

Hopman Cup finalist in 2014.
Southend Aussies is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
country flag Audacity

Audacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, thank you for the videos... can't wait to see how he goes in Italy F6.
Audacity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #13
country flag Sambazza

Sambazza Sambazza Sambazza Sambazza Sambazza Sambazza Sambazza Sambazza Sambazza Sambazza Sambazza

Omar is also playing another futures event in Italy a week after the pozuolli futures tournament where he actually gets the last Acceptance in the main draw. Harry is also playing but is in qualifying
Sambazza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #14
country flag scotthongkong

scotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Net Cord View Post

Thank you Dead Net Cord. This was an amazing series of videos which I enjoyed very much. Many thanks!
scotthongkong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
country flag Armless

Armless has a reputation beyond reputeArmless has a reputation beyond reputeArmless has a reputation beyond reputeArmless has a reputation beyond reputeArmless has a reputation beyond reputeArmless has a reputation beyond reputeArmless has a reputation beyond reputeArmless has a reputation beyond reputeArmless has a reputation beyond reputeArmless has a reputation beyond reputeArmless has a reputation beyond repute

Into the QF of Italy F7 , beating first seed De Greef (ATP 222) in straights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post
If Kneedal wins RG this year, I'll be running topless on Umag centre court.

Armless is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote