All About Ernests - Interviews and Articles - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #121
country flag eze

eze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All About Ernests - Interviews and Articles

Let´s hope todays game against Fognini is important then
eze is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #122
country flag Eliande

Eliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tennisnow.com/News/Gulbis...-Montreal.aspx
"When you combine two of the game's most expressive players along with an umpire known for getting his piece of the spotlight as well, you expect such a show - yes, it can only be described as that - to be televised for fans worldwide."

Shame all this happened on court 9 and very few people saw it. True tennis fans should be furious.
Eliande is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #123
country flag TravelingFanGirl

TravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond repute

When aren't true tennis players furious about something? But I do agree. Man what a show I'm sure that was!
#ToNameAFew

Tennis rackets & Ernests Gulbis go together like Redshirts & Star Trek. #expendable
ask.fm/FangirlCourtney
TravelingFanGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #124
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute

Very good article by Gudris. We got all the feeling and are just most frustrated not to have witness that epic encounter with Ernie at his best drama accompllishment.
osmonde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #125
country flag BlueLighthouse

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

Full interview by Gudris http://www.tennisnow.com/News/One-on...ts-Gulbis.aspx

I really like his love for Gael.

Quote:
When I told Gulbis that many fans complained on social media that his match versus Fognini was not televised and that he's one of those players many want to watch no matter what round he is in, Gulbis seemed surprised by this.

Gulbis . Tursunov . Simon . Thiem . Paire
BlueLighthouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #126
country flag takuma

takuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLighthouse View Post
Full interview by Gudris http://www.tennisnow.com/News/One-on...ts-Gulbis.aspx
Quote:
When I told Gulbis that many fans complained on social media that his match versus Fognini was not televised and that he's one of those players many want to watch no matter what round he is in, Gulbis seemed surprised by this.
Told you bugging them a little about nasty scheduling is worth trying
They didn't change the court this time, but maybe next time they'll be smarter.

Glad Gudris told him about it. At least Ernests has a clue now on how large his fan-base is (more/less).
takuma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #127
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute

Good description of the match in this one:

Montreal Masters 2013: Gulbis power and precision take down Murray

"And he has attitude, a broad fan-base and the ability to play big, charismatic tennis."

"Those who have followed Gulbis over the years have often been frustrated by losses that should have been wins, by his lapses in concentration and his intemperate comments. But they have also known just how talented he is, and he has proved it to a whole new set of fans with his run in Montreal."

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/20...s-andy-murray/

Last edited by osmonde : 08-09-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #128
country flag BlueLighthouse

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

Interview

E. GULBIS/A. Murray

64, 63

An interview with:

ERNESTS GULBIS

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Where would this win rate in your career?
ERNESTS GULBIS: I don't like to rate these kinds of wins, honestly. It's just a really good win, this particular moment right now. Just enjoying it. Who cares what I rate it?

Q. That was one of the more calmer matches you've played in a while. Is that because the crowd was flat or was that your intention to remain calm?
ERNESTS GULBIS: Flat crowd?

Q. Energywise.
ERNESTS GULBIS: I didn't feel it was flat. I felt they were normally behaved crowd. They didn't walk around during the points. They didn't clap for stupid points. I thought that they were very nice.
I wasn't maybe calm. I was intense inside. You know, I just didn't want to show it to Andy because I played against top guys for a couple times already in my career. With these guys, if you show some kind of weakness, they're going to penetrate it, you know.
I just tried not to show any weakness, even in the second set when I got broken back. I was 31 up, then he played a really unbelievable point to break me. If I would go crazy, as I like to do, then it would be tough second set.

Q. What would you say was the biggest difference between this match and the other times you played Murray, other than the fact you won?
ERNESTS GULBIS: Honestly, I don't remember all the matches. I looked on this monitor that I lost to him five times. Honestly I just remember the last match we played in Cincinnati. It was a really tough match. But it was in 2010. It was a really long time ago. I haven't been playing him for a while.
Those matches which were before, you know, I was a different person, he was a different player. So when I, for example, play against Nadal, honestly I don't care that I lost to him I don't know how many times, six or seven times. I don't care because every match is like a new thing, you know.
I think that I'm now maturing as a player. Let's delete all the past. Let's start from zero from now on. So I'm 10 with Murray.

Q. What is the difference between you now and your game at the beginning of the season?
ERNESTS GULBIS: Beginning of season? I came here this tournament with very low expectations. I had really big doubts in my game because still I arrive here Friday, I haven't played any points with nobody. So basically Saturday was my first day when I start to play points, start to serve and return.
I played first round against López. I didn't really like the way I play. So now with every day, it just gets better.
But throughout beginning of the year, it's all about matches in tennis. You can play as well as you want in the practice, but it's a matter of one, two matches, and it changes your year completely.
I started well because I started in Marseille. In Rotterdam I had good matches against Del Potro, Berdych. I lost them, but I had a good contact with the strings of the ball, which I haven't had for all the last year. So I was confident about it.
Then I had a great run in Delray Beach. Later on I lost to Rafa in Indian Wells. Yeah, these are the matches that if you get over, they change the year drastically.
Now I hope this match is going to change. I got a lot of points. I have a good chance next round. So it's already quarterfinal and semifinal. Big steps for me.

Q. A lot of the players complain about the balls here in Montréal. What do you think about that?
ERNESTS GULBIS: Let them complain. I don't want to complain. I love everything. I love everybody. I'm being positive. I want the positiveness back (laughter).

Gulbis . Tursunov . Simon . Thiem . Paire
BlueLighthouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #129
country flag osmonde

The rest of the interview... (I like his new thinking)

Q. You said you had lower expectations at the beginning. Now what are your expectations for the rest of the tournament?

ERNESTS GULBIS: Now I have no expectations also because I already over‑fulfilled what I was plan to do. I was planning to win one match.
Now I take everything what comes to me. I'm feeling better. I'm feeling fitter, faster, more confident with my strokes. So now if I lose, I lose. If I win, great.
I really did well this tournament. I really did well in the start of this American tour. So just good.

Q. From experience, you've beaten top players before. A win like this, you can capitalize on the confidence. Is it something you tend to get a lot from, the confidence in a match like this?

ERNESTS GULBIS: You know, tennis, that's why it's a really difficult sport, because you have to compete every week. Okay, you won a top guy. Tomorrow I have to win another top guy. If I lose tomorrow, then the bubble which you built for yourself, it can break anytime.
So better keep your expectations low, enjoy the moment. Be okay, be satisfied. But you have to keep on going. That's where young players make a lot of mistakes. That's what I did also. You have a good result, you build up a living basically for a couple days in your own dream world. Suddenly it breaks, you're without confidence. Now what? There is no need for that.
Day in, day out, it's like going to a office. If you win, great. If you did good work, you can reap the rewards, you know.

Q. Would you rather be a seeded player at the US Open or a dangerous unseeded floater in the draw?

ERNESTS GULBIS: Seeded. Seeded because I'm tired of playing the top guys in the first, second round. I want to play them in the fourth round.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

Last edited by osmonde : 08-09-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #130
country flag -Evita-
Come on, Ernest!

-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for posting that Is there also an interview available from Friday, after the loss to Raonic?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #131
country flag Eliande

Eliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Evita- View Post
Thank you for posting that Is there also an interview available from Friday, after the loss to Raonic?
There is this short article:
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UgYfGZLI0jV
Old 08-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #132
country flag osmonde

Interview after Raonic match:

Ernests Gulbis

MONTREAL, QUEBEC

M. RAONIC/E. Gulbis
7‑6, 4‑6, 6‑4

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Very interesting match, exciting. At the end it's a loss for you. What is your feeling right now?

ERNESTS GULBIS: Feeling is bad. I don't know if the match was very interesting to watch. Maybe it was interesting because of the emotions because there was a lot of tight points.
Game‑wise I don't think it was the best match because both of us, we didn't give each other any rhythm. He's serving big. I'm serving big.
4‑All, breakpoint, if I start to make those passing shots, which is a tough shot, but I know I can make it, I'll start to win these guys (smiling).

Q. What was it like with the atmosphere? Fans were booing you.

ERNESTS GULBIS: They're used to hockey here. It's okay.

Q. When the crowd turned on you, did it affect you at all?

ERNESTS GULBIS: I got the love from the crowd. I like it. I turn it around and make it into positive energy (smiling).
But, honestly, I don't understand why you need to clap for a double‑fault. Simply I don't understand it. You know, there can be emotions, but I think it's stupid.
I can't call a thousand people stupid. Don't put it as a quote. But it's something what I don't understand. That's why all the Canadian players, they play always very well in Canada. Honestly some of them ‑ I guess you know who ‑ they don't play really nowhere else.
Milos is a great player. But the rest of the guys, they play great in Canada because it's like Davis Cup every match. People are clapping after a double‑fault, before a second serve to provoke a double‑fault. I don't think it's nice.

Q. Is it pretty much the only place where you see that?

ERNESTS GULBIS: Honestly here I felt it a little bit more than anywhere else. In general, you can't say nothing bad about it because there was no bad behaving.
But you know exactly the crowd is very well‑educated. They know exactly what to do in the right moment to screw up the other player's game.
I don't know, in France the crowd is tough. But they're tough all the time. Doesn't matter what it is, Love‑15, 15‑All, 30‑40, they're the same. Here you serve second serve, breakpoint down, you get one guy screaming from Row 11, Play tennis. I don't know.

Q. Have other players talked about this or is this something unique you're finding?

ERNESTS GULBIS: I don't talk to other players (smiling).

Q. It was a good week for you. Can you build on that for the next tournament?

ERNESTS GULBIS: Yes, yes, definitely a good week. My father send me a text. He wasn't here. He send me a text he was watching every match on TV. He said it was the best tournament he saw in a while, maybe not game‑wise, but maybe mental‑wise, the way I fight.
I feel the same. I feel slowly, slowly I start to build up my character on court. It may not be all about positive, smiles, love all the time. But I want to show this fighting spirit which I have, even if sometimes it brings some kind of negative emotions from somebody else.
It's the way I fight, the way I am. I think I need to be even stronger in that aspect. So I'll try to build up. Yeah, I feel good.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #133
country flag CatBernet

CatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmonde View Post
Q. Very interesting match, exciting. At the end it's a loss for you. What is your feeling right now?

ERNESTS GULBIS: Feeling is bad.

[a few minutes later]

Yeah, I feel good.

I'm starting to think Ernests has multiple personality disorder. He contradicts himself in interviews, sometimes in answer to the same question, on a regular basis.
CatBernet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #134
country flag Eliande

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBernet View Post
I'm starting to think Ernests has multiple personality disorder. He contradicts himself in interviews, sometimes in answer to the same question, on a regular basis.
I have noticed that too.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #135
country flag R0B1S

R0B1S has a reputation beyond reputeR0B1S has a reputation beyond reputeR0B1S has a reputation beyond reputeR0B1S has a reputation beyond reputeR0B1S has a reputation beyond reputeR0B1S has a reputation beyond reputeR0B1S has a reputation beyond reputeR0B1S has a reputation beyond reputeR0B1S has a reputation beyond reputeR0B1S has a reputation beyond reputeR0B1S has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBernet View Post
I don't think he really contradicted himself there. He is feeling bad about that loss and feeling good about his performance overall in this tournament - he already said in other interview that he expected less in Montreal, like winning one match would be enough, so it's understandable that he feels good about getting to the QF. And it's also understandable that he feels bad right after that tight match he lost to Raonic. So in my opinion no real contradiction there - just two different answers for two different questions.
R0B1S is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote