All About Ernests - Interviews and Articles - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:46 AM   #61
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All About Ernests - Interviews and Articles

Very good perspective. (and I like when the author says that "Roger loves Roger"...which is the one that Ernests wouldn't name

GULBIS TELLS IT LIKE IT IS AT ROLAND GARROS

By Alix Ramsay

29 MAY 2013

So Ernie is gone, beaten by Gaël Monfils, but Latvia’s greatest export has left his mark on the clay of Roland Garros this year.

For a start, he was one half of the most anticipated match of the tournament so far, even if he did lose it 6-7, 6-4, 7-6, 6-2 – two gifted, remarkable showmen on the centre court? What’s not to love? – but then there was his take on the golden age of tennis we are currently enjoying. And Ernie doesn’t think it is that golden.

For most of this year, the world No.40 has been working his socks off, climbing the rankings and extoling the virtues of clean living to anyone who cares to listen. He has been doing his best to revamp his image and, after spending most of his career regarded as little more than a super-rich dilettante who was wasting his talent on wine, women and song – and not necessarily in that order – he was now seen as a hard working talent who was gaining due reward for his efforts.

But, deep down, Ernie was just the same. Oh, the days of regular wild nights out may have gone but the intelligent, opinionated and terrifyingly honest Ernie was still there for all to see. Ask that boy a question and you will get your answer, no matter what the subject. It is what makes Ernie Ernie; that is why people love him – although after his frank and candid talk with L’Equipe in Paris, a few of the lads in the locker room may have struck him off their Christmas card lists.

You see, Ernie does not hold with this Mutual Admiration Society malarkey at the top end of the rankings: Roger loves Rafa, admires Nole and gives Muzza due credit; Rafa loves Roger and Muzza and has the deepest respect for Nole; Nole admires everyone and then beats the pants off them while Muzza has known Nole since they were boys together in the juniors, thinks Rafa is the toppest of top blokes and has the utmost respect for Rodge and his 17 grand slam trophies. Of course, the greatest love is that shown to Roger by Roger – but we have all known that for years. It is no wonder he always has the cleanest and closest of shaves: he must spend hours staring into the mirror every morning.

Anyway, Ernie thinks this mutual love-in is a load of olds codswallop.

“Tennis today badly lacks characters,” he told L’Equipe. “I respect Roger, Rafa, Novak and Murray, but for me all four of them are boring players. Their interviews are boring. Honestly, they are really boring. I often go on YouTube to watch interviews. I quickly stopped watching tennis interviews. It’s a joke.

“It was Federer who started this trend. He has a superb image as a perfect Swiss gentleman. I repeat that I respect Federer, but I don’t like the way that young players try to imitate him. When I hear them reply like Roger, I am alarmed by phrases like: “I had a bit more success at certain moments and that was how I won.” What does that mean? If I’ve won, I’ve sent the other guy home. That’s the reality. I don’t want to hear in an interview a guy who I wouldn’t name but who I know thinks all his opponents are arseholes, putting on an act.”

This was strong stuff but you could see Ernie’s point. Rodge once got a bit tetchy about – but not with – Muzz when the bookies made Scotland’s finest the favourite going into the Australian Open in 2009. He was not particularly happy about having a losing record to Andy either, but it was not what you might call a major spat. Djoko got a bit antsy with Andy Roddick when the American suggested at the 2008 US Open that the lovely Nole might be a bit of a hypochondriac but they kissed and made up pretty quickly. As for the Muzz, he will stand his ground if anyone has a go at him but he picks his fights carefully and, generally, steers clear of controversy.

Bizarrely, the only one of the top four who really had a pop at anyone was Raf. Back in 2007, Robin Soderling took the mick out of Raf over five sets and three, rain-sodden days; Raf won but he wasn’t happy with the Swede’s behaviour. And in a stunning rant, every word dripping with vitriol and venom, Rafa said: “In the locker room, for the other players, is not the best guy in the locker room.”

Yes, you really can see where Ernie is coming from on this.

As we all know, Ernie is pals with Marat Safin and there is a distinct similarity between the two. You always knew when Marat was angry, you knew when he was happy and, in between, when he was fit and focused, he played sublime tennis. These days, tennis misses Marat.

“I don’t want to appear nice,” Ernie said. “On the court it’s a war. Away from the court, no problem. I’ve got a good relationship with most players. But I want to say what I think. If I predict that I’m going to win the match, I don’t worry about saying it.

“I would prefer that interviews were like those in boxing. Agreed, those people aren’t perhaps the most brilliant on earth, but when they’re not weighing up what they’re saying, they come out with what the spectators are expecting: war, blood, emotions. All of which is lacking in tennis, where everything is clean, completely white, with gentle handshakes and pretty shots. Whereas people would like to see broken rackets and hear some outbursts on the court.”

There were no outbursts on Wednesday – Ernie and Gaël get on well – but there were a few moments of fun. Monfils, seeing that Ernie was getting a bit tired after the third set, told his rival that there was at least 90 minutes of light left – they were here for the duration. Ernie, who had suffered a few netcords, dinks and jinks at the hands of La Monf, one on set point, was not upset. “I joked with him,” Ernie said. “I told him, Please, this set without a net roll, like he did in the set point. He laughed.”

In the end, it came down to stamina – La Monf had it and Ernie didn’t. He will work on that as he gets ready for the grass in Halle and then Wimbledon.

“I’m going to go now and practice on my fitness,” he said. “Simple. I was getting tired with my legs in the fourth set, but I also think if I would win the third set, it would be the other way around, because Gaël was also tired. And it was more mental than physical. But still, I cannot allow myself to feel like this in the fourth or fifth set. So I still need to work on my fitness. If I play my top tennis, you know, there is not going to be many guys who can compete with me when I’m playing the best.”

And before anyone asks, no, he wasn’t going to go out for a drink on Wednesday night. But that is not to say he will never drink again. When Ernie plays, he plays flat-out and when he parties, he does likewise. He may keep himself pure for the tour but on his time off, our Ernie is still game for a good time.

“When I go out, I go out,” he said. “I don’t want to go into details, but when I party I like to party. Crazy or not, if you get drunk with some mates and you get to bed at seven in the morning, I say that’s normal.”

That’s our Ernie for you. If only there were a few more like him around the sterile world of men’s tennis.

http://www.tennishorts.com/gulbis-te...roland-garros/
osmonde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #62
country flag too_old_4_this

too_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond repute

Great article, Osmonde. Thank you for posting it.

The writer seems to like Ernests for all the same reasons I do, especially for the "terrifyingly honest Ernie". It took me awhile to get used to it, but now it's my favorite thing about him.

Whenever people get down on him for something he's said, I think of a quote by Aristotle:

Quote:
To avoid criticism, say nothing - do nothing - be nothing.

Last edited by too_old_4_this : 05-30-2013 at 04:13 AM.
too_old_4_this is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #63
country flag BlueLighthouse

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

Full presser here

I like Ernie and Gael chatting/giggling during set 3&4.

Quote:

Q: Do you think that Gaël managed to get into your head when he talked to you and said that you still had at least one hour and a half to play?

A: I didn't hear him saying that.

Q: What did he say?

A: When?

Q: Between the third and the fourth set.

A: No, no, I came back, and I joked with him. I told him, Please, this set without a net roll, like he did in the set point. He laughed. I didn't hear what he said. Really, I didn't hear.

No, he didn't get in my head. I really like Gaël. And there is no getting into nobody's head.

Gulbis . Tursunov . Simon . Thiem . Paire
BlueLighthouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #64

too_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond repute

Another nice interview. Thanks BlueLighthouse.

Here's a (very) short video of some of their little chat at the changeover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HaPpSuujh4

Gael has a great smile, doesn't he?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #65
country flag deyaT87

deyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_old_4_this View Post
The usual idiots are taking the "I honestly don’t think that Novak is the biggest talent" quote out of context, just as they did with the comment about Nadal not doing anything special during their last match.

Ernests isn't really saying anything all that controversial, and is actually being complimentary in most of his statements, if you read the actual content.

Too many people just read an attention-grabbing headline and believe that's all there is to the story. And far too many of them are just too dumb to understand what he's actually saying.
You're right...The headline on some Serbian site - Gulbis: "Novak isn't the greatest talent"
When you read this title you might think he said something bad, and in fact when you read the text you realize there is nothing wrong ...and that's where the misunderstanding occurs, because many people do not read the entire text but only the headline and think they know enough and then leave stupid comments on the basis of the title which is taken out of context.
Ernests is an eyesore for Serbians (this is not the case with me, I don't like Novak) You can say whatever you want but you can't say anything bad about Novak. He is a national hero
deyaT87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #66

Here's a thoughtful, rational article about Ernests' "boring" quotes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...e-Dickson.html[/email]

I especially agree with the following part:

Quote:
What will be fascinating to see now is where the freewheeling Gulbis goes from here when next asked about this. Will he be nobbled by the thought police, or cowered by the reaction to an interview that surfaced on one of tennis’s slow news days, or will he stick to his guns?
Ernests will have to answer for his statements, if he ever does another interview (we know he has gone long lengths of time without giving them).

If he gives up under the pressure and learns to tow the line, I will be more disappointed in him than in any matches he should have won and didn't, or anything he may have said or done that may have been a bit over the line.

If Ernests stops being Ernests, then there won't be any point to him.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #67
country flag Eliande

Eliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_old_4_this View Post
Here's a thoughtful, rational article about Ernests' "boring" quotes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...e-Dickson.html[/email]

I especially agree with the following part:

Ernests will have to answer for his statements, if he ever does another interview (we know he has gone long lengths of time without giving them).

If he gives up under the pressure and learns to tow the line, I will be more disappointed in him than in any matches he should have won and didn't, or anything he may have said or done that may have been a bit over the line.

If Ernests stops being Ernests, then there won't be any point to him.
I totally agree with you.
Eliande is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #68
country flag Frederick16

Frederick16 has a reputation beyond reputeFrederick16 has a reputation beyond reputeFrederick16 has a reputation beyond reputeFrederick16 has a reputation beyond reputeFrederick16 has a reputation beyond reputeFrederick16 has a reputation beyond reputeFrederick16 has a reputation beyond reputeFrederick16 has a reputation beyond reputeFrederick16 has a reputation beyond reputeFrederick16 has a reputation beyond reputeFrederick16 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Who can tell me wich Wilson Ernests is using? The one on tenniswarehouse has also yellow in it. But the one he used at RG was only red and white??

Jag är stolt att va svensk!!!

I hate Lagerback!

Ja, jag vill leva jag vill dö i Norden!!!!!!!

27 May until 2 June -> Paris, Roland Garros
Frederick16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #69
country flag takuma

takuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond repute

the colours are like on this one: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/revi...M99review.html (I read Gulbis uses a Wilson Steam 99 paintjob racquet)
sorry for the off-top btw
takuma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #70

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about Gael - source

Quote:
“Gaël, I always respected the way he plays,” Gulbis said Wednesday. “This guy has a very big potential. I wish that he would fulfill it, you know? The way he plays, the way he can play, everybody knows it. I think in France, also, everybody is waiting for him to have some clicks in his brain and to do the right things. And for sure he has the potential to be, in my understanding, top five, for sure. So I just respect him in this way, and I think he’s a fun guy. I always have good relation with him, but not really close.”

When it was pointed out to Gulbis that what he said about Monfils sounded a lot like what people might say about his own sometimes perplexing career, he assented.

“Yeah, probably.”

Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #71

There is a topic in the General Discussion thread about an interview with Gilles Simon. Simon dishes on several players and it's pretty interesting: He only mentions Ernests once and I'm not sure what he's talking about. I don't speak french and the google translation is no help. Can a french speaking fan help out?

Quote:
The whimsical +: Paire
"With him on the court, it really is as it comes. If it is, good for him, or else ... As the pace of life, it would be rather Monfils or Gulbis. Gael, I saw in box full Roland Garros and two days later, beat Ferrer in five sets (2011) For the Beijing Olympics, he advanced late:.. ten minutes to play Almagro, he heats with a McMorning in hand It begins to be removed but the other has an arrogant attitude and Gael takes the fly. Results, 7-5 victory at third.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #72

Ernests Gulbis: Anything but ordinary

http://www.aljazeera.com/sport/tenni...249383475.html

Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #73
country flag Eliande

Eliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond reputeEliande has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLighthouse View Post
Ernests Gulbis: Anything but ordinary

http://www.aljazeera.com/sport/tenni...249383475.html
Thank you!
Eliande is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #74
country flag TravelingFanGirl

TravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond repute

They did a really great job with that article/interview. I like how Ernests better emphasized his previous comments! He was just trying to promote and encourage individuality and being yourself. It's a shame others didn't understand that! It was a great message and one the sport needed!
#ToNameAFew

Tennis rackets & Ernests Gulbis go together like Redshirts & Star Trek. #expendable
ask.fm/FangirlCourtney
TravelingFanGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:09 AM   #75

Here's an article obviously written after the presser with several quotes from Ernests:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...s-8675794.html

Unfortunately, the writer tries to make it appear "deeper" than it really is by going over some of the same old territory again.