All About Ernests - Interviews and Articles - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #46
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All About Ernests - Interviews and Articles

The same article with direct link to SI
http://tennis.si.com/2013/05/16/erne...pen-interview/
osmonde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #47
country flag deyaT87

deyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha he should write memoir, I think it would be interesting to read.
deyaT87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #48
country flag deyaT87

deyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond repute

Interview after today's match

http://www.internazionalibnlditalia....-Thursday.aspx

and Nadal's interview he talks about Ernests,in my opinion not really good...Nadal doesn't like his attitude on court...Ok Rafa we all love your ritual before serving, it's adorable , and 25+ sec between points

Last edited by deyaT87 : 05-16-2013 at 08:48 PM.
deyaT87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #49
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the full interview transcript of Ernests after Nadal match:

Old 05-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #50
country flag osmonde

Nice perspective on what is the future for our boy! The article mainly talks about Ernests.

FRENCH OPEN COMES TO SOON FOR THE YOUNG LIONS OF NEW TENNIS
Rafael Nadal is likely to be the last man standing, but Ernests Gulbis, Jerzy Janowicz and Grigor Dimitrov can see daylight
by Kevin Mitchell
Saturday 25 May 2013

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...oon-new-tennis
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #51
country flag osmonde

Interview with Latvian press after 1strd win in RG : Google translation a bit odd...but we follow his ideas anyway.

http://sportacentrs.com/teniss/latvi..._sagatavosanas
Old 05-28-2013, 02:41 AM   #52
country flag too_old_4_this

too_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: All About Ernests - Interviews and Articles

Did you read the comments after? They went on for a couple of pages discussing what drinks
they like to mix together. Then they apparently named vodka and milk the "White Swan"
after Ernests since that's the last alcoholic drink he said he had.
too_old_4_this is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #53
country flag BlueLighthouse

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

From here

REFORMED GULBIS AIMS TO FOLLOW DJOKOVIC'S PATH TO SUCCESS

Ernests Gulbis is still on track with his reform plan - staying away from parties and off-court distractions - as he promises to give it his all this season in a bid to fulfill his undoubted potential.

The Latvian skipped the Australian Open and instead kicked off his season playing a Challenger in Germany ranked No138 in the world.

Three tournaments later and he had captured the ATP title in Delray Beach as a qualifier.

Battling through qualifying rounds and stretching Rafael Nadal to three sets twice in Indian Wells and Rome Gulbis arrived at the French Open as the world No40, having paid his dues and put in the work.

During a brief chat with a handful of journalists following his first round 6-1, 7-6 (4), 6-3 win over Brazilian Rogerio Dutra Silva, Gulbis said: “I haven’t been in a good mood coming into a Grand Slam in quite a while.

“I skipped Australia and this is basically my first Grand Slam where I am playing very good tennis again. I was nervous in the match. I knew that normally I have to beat the guy the way I’ve been playing, but I lost my concentration a little. But I was nervous.”

Questioned whether he can live up to expectation soon and go further in Majors, not necessarily to semi-finals but deep in the draw, Gulbis quickly said with a smile: “Why not semifinals? I’ve been playing consistently all year, except maybe the start, but then I only lost to guys ranked top 20.

“I lost to Tommy Haas, who won the tournament without losing a set. I lost to Nadal in Rome, what can I, it’s okay, I’m satisfied with the way things are going.

“I have no points to defend until the end of the year. I think ranking wise I’m probably in the best position of anybody. I have nothing to defend. Step by step we’re going to get somewhere.”

It appears Gulbis enjoys being an underdog, or at least likes to step up against the big guys, which he has done in the past with noticeable wins over Roger Federer in Rome and Tomas Berdych at Wimbledon.

“I like to play against a top guy in a Grand Slam because I did well against Berdych at Wimbledon. I like this feeling, coming onto a big court, being the guy who has less pressure than the other guy,” says the 24-year-old.

In his next match in Paris, he feels he is probably on level terms with his opponent Gael Monfils. When it was put to him that he must be happy that the Frenchman had a long match with Berdych in the first round, Gulbis immediately disagreed.

“I don’t wish nobody to fight five sets and cramps. Let them play how they play. I want to have a good opponent not and injured tired one,” he said, also indicating he likes to win fair and square and isn’t a big fan of on-court shenanigans like what he experienced with opponent Viktor Troicki recently.

He added: “I can sometimes be somewhat disrespectful in some press conferences but when I play I really want to respect the opponent. I don’t want to take medical timeouts. I don’t like to screw up the other player’s rhythm. I don’t like this. I want that the better player wins without any screwing games.”

Tee-total

Having not touched a drink since last November, Gulbis is focused on his health and fitness, which he believes is key in today’s game. “The game has become much more physical,” he explains. “Stronger guys can last longer. Look how professional are Novak and the top four guys.

“I honestly don’t think that Novak is the biggest talent - he’s talented for sure - but you know he’s been so professional all his career since I’ve known him, since the age of 13, he’s been doing all the right decisions, all the things, all the right preparations and look at his body now. No fat. Fast, agile and everything.”

Gulbis . Tursunov . Simon . Thiem . Paire
BlueLighthouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #54

too_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond reputetoo_old_4_this has a reputation beyond repute

The usual idiots are taking the "I honestly don’t think that Novak is the biggest talent" quote out of context, just as they did with the comment about Nadal not doing anything special during their last match.

Ernests isn't really saying anything all that controversial, and is actually being complimentary in most of his statements, if you read the actual content.

Too many people just read an attention-grabbing headline and believe that's all there is to the story. And far too many of them are just too dumb to understand what he's actually saying.

No wonder he goes long stretches at a time without giving interviews.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #55
country flag osmonde

Wait tomorrow, it seems that l'Equipe will publish an interview where he is quoted saying: Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are boring players... another misunderstanding on his comment. I am sure he meant: They are boring in interviews...

Oh dear! Another press controversy while he is doing so well these times around.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #56
country flag Stronga23

Stronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck guys. Sorry I can't root for Ernests this coming match but if he wins I hope he goes all the way.

Stronga,Monfils,DelPo,Nalbandian,Berdych,Gulbis,Ha as and Djokovic are the players I support the most.
Stronga23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #57

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

Where are all the press coming from? Here's another one.

THE SELF-EDUCATION OF ERNESTS GULBIS

By Sandra Harwitt

One thing you can always count on is that wherever you encounter Ernie he will be in fine form. Nope, I’m not talking about on the court, although Ernie’s been showing some impressively solid form this year. I’m talking off the court where he maintains a funny, wacky side that’s endeared him to one-and-all. And for a player to continually captivate an audience of journalists, who tend to be highly critical and skeptical of their subjects, is a knack that only a few possess.

So who is this Ernie character? Not a muppet, for sure, although sometimes he has muppet tendencies. Nope, I’m talking Ernests Gulbis, the delightfully amusing Latvian currently ranked No. 40 in the world.

Ernie, however, is attempting a lifestyle overhaul this year, bless his soul. Let me assure you that for a good-time guy this is no easy task. Attaining a healthy and G-rated lifestyle is certainly a challenge, but Ernie insists five months through the 2013 season and he’s giving himself an “A” grade in regards to keeping to the plan.

“I haven’t been in a good mood coming into a Grand Slam in quite a while,” said Gulbis, after a 6-1, 7-6 (4), 6-3 first round win over Rogerio Dutra Silva at Roland Garros on Monday. “I skipped Australia and this is basically my first Grand Slam where I am playing again very good tennis.”

Earlier in the year at the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships, the 24-year-old — the son of an entrepreneur businessman and a successful Latvian actress — offered a grand pronouncement: He’s given up liquor and partying.

How’s he doing curtailing the fun and sticking to a regiment? He claims well. He says his last drink was on November 1st of last year and it was a combo — odd combo at that — of a shot of cold vodka with a shot of cold milk.

“No drink, I’m finish with this.” said the new, improved Ernie, laughing. “What was it — I think vodka and milk, I mixed it. Actually if you try it – a good shot of vodka and a glass of milk, it’s nice. You know when you drink cranberry juice it irritates your stomach and I have a burning feeling here (points to esophagus). With milk it really calms you down. It doesn’t work for everybody.”

As for the partying, Ernie wasn’t quite as reassuring, countering the question with a sly smile while posing his own question: “What do you consider party?”

Ernie might be a bit of a wise ass off the court, but on the court he actually likes to play it as a straight arrow. He doesn’t believe in any of this unsportsmanlike gamesmanship. His strategy, whether playing great or poor, remains the same. He goes out there, gives what he have to give, and either wins or loses.

“I can sometimes be somewhat disrespectful in some press conference or something but when I play I really want to respect the opponent,” he said. “I don’t want to take medical timeouts. I don’t like to screw up the other player’s rhythm. I don’t like this. I want that the better player wins without any screwing games, you know.”

Actually kind of refreshing, don’t you think?

What’s been disappointing is that Ernie’s always been identified as one of the major natural talents in the game. When he’s playing ‘oh so good,’ he’s fun to watch and you find yourself wondering why he’s not consistently among the top players. But talent that isn’t combined with hard work and dedication can get squandered. A more mature Gulbis seems to have figured that out — finally.

“How professional are Novak and the top four guys?” Gulbis asks. “I honestly don’t think that Novak is the biggest talent — he’s talented, for sure — but you know he’s been so professional all his career since I know him, since the age of 13 he’s been doing all the right decisions, all the things, all the right preparations and look at his body now. No fat, fast, agile and everything. If you want to compete on this level you have to be naturally strong and then you have to build up.”

How long can he keep up his faithful commitment to be the best he can be?

Who knows? But all fans must be hoping that Ernie’s dedication doesn’t eclipse his loose-lipped humor because together they make him the total tennis package.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #58

That's actually the presser he gave after his first round match, BlueLighthouse.

For some reason, Roland Garros doesn't release the press interview videos, so the reporters write them up as if they had a one-on-one interview.

As for the "Nadal, etc. are boring" interview stated above, I'm guessing it's a rehash of him saying that Nadal and Federer are not boring people, but the interviews where they're asked the same old thing and give the same old answers are boring.

The media is determined to create controversy where there isn't any because then they get noticed.

Is there really anyone who doesn't think the same thing being repeated over and over isn't boring?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #59

In L'Equipe http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actuali...nnuyeux/374523

Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #60
country flag kryptonmania

kryptonmania has a reputation beyond reputekryptonmania has a reputation beyond reputekryptonmania has a reputation beyond reputekryptonmania has a reputation beyond reputekryptonmania has a reputation beyond reputekryptonmania has a reputation beyond reputekryptonmania has a reputation beyond reputekryptonmania has a reputation beyond reputekryptonmania has a reputation beyond reputekryptonmania has a reputation beyond reputekryptonmania has a reputation beyond repute

Monfils thrills again to foil Gulbis

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/ne...845799680.html

Does Gael Monfils do any kind of win other than extraordinary? His exhilarating second-round encounter with Ernests Gulbis would surely have belonged to the Latvian if he had won either the second or the third sets; but Monfils somehow snatched the second and insisted upon the third. He needed seven set points to secure the latter, and was sufficiently chilled to spend the changeover taking a pan-and-scan photograph of the crowd on his mobile phone. Eventually the son of Paris emerged a thrilled and thrilling winner 6-7(5), 6-4, 7-6(4), 6-2 in three hours and 15 minutes, having demonstrated once and for all how to put the wild into wildcard.

From the outset it was clear that Gulbis meant business, intent upon making this his first back-to-back win in a Grand Slam since his quarter-final here five years ago. He played as if he had never met the familiar rich kid version of himself, the one who can’t knuckle down to what elite tennis demands. Instead he was Mr Mean-And-Focused, ignoring the convention of pausing to see whether Monfils was all right when he fell heavily on the court, to concentrate on the next point. Gulbis was good value for his lead of a set and a break.

It seemed the match turned at 4-4 in the second. The Latvian – returning beautifully but with a second service that was a disaster zone – fluffed a clear chance for break point and growled. What could have been a break became a good hold for Monfils; and when the next game reached 30-all, you could all but see the words “big point” written in 50-foot neon above Philippe Chatrier Court. Gulbis sent the ball long to give set point, and at the crunch Monfils didn’t have to work all that hard to convert it.

Of course at one set-all the result was far from a done deal. Gulbis broke immediately at the start of the third, but closing out points was a repeated problem. Neither man let up on the spine-tingling rallies which punctuated much of the match. A 30-stroke effort allowed Monfils to level. He broke again for 4-2 but at 5-3, five set points came and went. Having saved the fifth, Gulbis was sufficiently relaxed to juggle the ball with his feet as if it were a football. He levelled, and at 5-5 there was no telling if we would be here for two more hours or whether it would all be over in 40 minutes – and no clue at all who would win.

Gulbis had four chances to break for 6-5, but it went to the breaker. On set point number seven came a delirious rally which Gulbis should have killed, but Monfils reached a wonderful volley to take it. He turned and raised his fist in salute to the crowd, and they stood and roared. Gulbis was spent, and 35 minutes later the crowd were once again on their feet. There’s never a dull moment with Gael Monfils.
kryptonmania is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote