All About Ernests - Interviews and Articles - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #31
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All About Ernests - Interviews and Articles

INDIAN WELLS: BEST OF THE REST, PERFORMANCES THAT STOOD OUT IN THE DESERT
By Chris Skelton

Ernests Gulbis: Only after the fiercest resistance did her succumb to Nadal in arguably the best match of the men’s tournament.
In that defeat, Ernests Gulbis looked far crisper, more alert, and generally more interested in tennis than he has in years. Granted, one never can tell how long such a surge will last in someone famous for alternating surges with skids, but he provides tremendously entertaining tennis at his best with a mixture of massive first strikes and deft touch at the net.
His ranking rose from outside the top 100 a month ago to near the top 50, which should earn him direct entry to most draws.

http://www.tennisviewmag.com/tennis-...ood-out-desert
osmonde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #32
country flag BlueLighthouse

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

A fun article about Ernests.

Bad Boys of the ATP: Ernests Gulbis

Quote:
With hair that invites you to run your fingers through it and big puppy dog eyes that betray his bad-boy side, Gulbis has no shortage of female fans.
Spot on but they forgot to highlight that several WTA are his fangirls as well

Gulbis . Tursunov . Simon . Paire . Dimitrov . Thiem
BlueLighthouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #33
country flag Soluschka

Soluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond repute

great interview - who of the WTA is his fangirl? (I only know about Vika)
Soluschka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #34
country flag deyaT87

deyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond reputedeyaT87 has a reputation beyond repute

this is great

"With hair that invites you to run your fingers through it and big puppy dog eyes that betray his bad-boy side..."
and this is so true
deyaT87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #35

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

I notice a couple of them, when he was playing and some WTA were watching and tweeting...

Quote:
Varvara Lepchenko @Varunchik1
Pulling for Gulbis.The cutest guy on the tour!!!!
12:55 AM Jun 26th, 2012

‏@AllaK11
"@Varunchik1: Pulling for Gulbis.The cutest guy on the tour!!!!"Awwww is that a crush?

‏@Varunchik1
@AllaK11 No it's not a crush it's point of observation!!!

Shahar Pe'er also supported him (I can't find her twitter). They're prob friends cos Karlis was briefly her coach.

and the latest one

Quote:
‏@laurarobson5 14 Mar
I don't understand what's going on with Gulbis' forehand but I kinda like it.
Of course, she likes his FH (and BH and etc).

Last edited by BlueLighthouse : 03-23-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #36
country flag Soluschka

Soluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond reputeSoluschka has a reputation beyond repute

wow thx for the quick reply

and of course she likes his FH haha
Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #37
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute

From official website: once again Ernests figures in the best moments.

BEST MOMENTS FROM INDIAN WELLS 2013
bY N.Carvel.

GULBIS WINS FIVE

Greetings, Ernests Gulbis. His name is one that has been known among diehard tennis fans for a few years now, but five match wins (including two in qualifying) at the BNP Paribas Open and a nail-biting loss to Nadal helped cement his name to memory among sports fans. Gulbis biting wit and free-for-all forehand are two aspects that make him one of tennis’ stars to watch and it was Nadal who actually snapped a 13-match win streak for the Latvian, who had won the title at Delray Beach the week prior.

For full article: http://bnpparibasopenblog.com/2013/0...an-wells-2013/
Old 04-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #38
country flag osmonde

Postmatch transcript from Isner match:

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.c...s-Tuesday.aspx
Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #39
country flag rafaelita

rafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmonde View Post
Postmatch transcript from Isner match:

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.c...s-Tuesday.aspx
Quote:
ERNESTS GULBIS: Give me some more compliments. I like it (smiling).
Always a great reading.

Thanks for the link, osmonde

I am very happy to be alive. There is much fun to be had. Music, movies, books, paintings, drawings... I hope you have these things where you are. If you have them, what does the real world matter anyway? JF - Letter for Children Of The Future

Alive with music, haunting my soul Love you more.

we are the same ♥
rafaelita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #40
country flag osmonde

Here is Chris Oddo report from tennisnow including the 3 video incidents that cost him the game points.

He said at the end: We still remain steadfastly as card-carrying members of the Gulbis bandwagon.

http://www.tennisnow.com/News/Ernest...hree-Acts.aspx
Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #41

A lot of journalists (/fan of Ernie's antics) loving this

GULBIS BLOWS A GASKET SO MONACO WINS IN MONACO

By Alix Ramsay

For all the talk of turning a corner, of focusing harder and working longer, of devoting himself to the cause and making himself the best player he can possibly be, at the end of the day Ernie Gulbis is still the same old Ernie Gulbis. He still says what he thinks, he still will not hide what he feels and if he thinks he is being given a rough deal, he will still let you know about it.

So it was that he lost 6-0, 3-6, 6-3 to Juan Monaco in the second round of the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters on Wednesday. Just as he had against John Isner the previous day, Ernie started slowly. Awfully slowly. The first set ran through his racquet strings in no time at all and before you could say “Latvia is lovely”, he was a break down in the second set. This was not going well.

But Gulbis, being Gulbis, was not done yet. He knows he has talent and he knows that he can beat almost anyone on his day (it is just that he is never quite sure when his day will be) and so he kept plugging away. That won him the second set. And that was when it all went pear-shaped.

A break down early on in the third set, Ernie was not best pleased. He had bust a gut to get back into contention and now the match was in danger of running away from him. Suddenly, the controlled, hard-working Ernie went for a ciggie break and the old, hot-headed Gulbis made his appearance.

By this stage he had already demolished one racquet (that went the way of all flesh after he had lost the first eight games of the match) and kicked a ball out of the stadium (with a point for 1-1 in the third set, he fluffed it which brought the score back to deuce. Cue launching ball towards the mountains). The umpire was clearly on his case so when the old Gulbis made his guest appearance, smashing another racquet against the said official’s chair after going 2-0 down at the start of the third set, our friend in authority stamped his little foot and demanded attention. Game penalty, Mr Gulbis.

Monaco, helpfully, gave Ernie the benefit of his opinion as he passed by on the way to his chair – why he should have anything complain about is anyone’s guess: he got to have a sit down four points earlier than expected – while our hero asked the ump what he had to do to get a match penalty.

No matter, Ernie was still game for the fight. He kept his serve under lock and key and when Monaco went to serve for the match at 5-2, Ernie broke him. But it was not to last. With a final fluff, Ernie was on his way to the airport and Monaco was on his way to meet Novak Djokovic on Thursday.

Still, one meltdown is not the end of the world. Patrick Mouratoglou – a savvy judge of tennis flesh in, oh, so many ways – still reckons the Gulbis will end the year in the top 20. And Ernie knows what he is capable of and now that he has chosen to work at the rest of his career, he may just get the rewards his talents deserve. Just don’t expect it to be plain sailing all the way.

To see what makes Ernie tick these days, have a look at this…

(Check out the vid at the end of the article here)

Exceptionally close-up

Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #42
country flag Ginevra83

Ginevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all the links.....crazy match but we always love him!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #43

Ernests Gulbis: What is Talent Really Worth?

No new material here. Just opinion of this blogger. She seems disapprove of Ernests' antics

Oh well, you can't please everybody right?

Old 05-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #44
country flag Soluschka

IF TENNIS PLAYERS WERE CELEBRITIES
-Ernie is compared with James Franco.. could be worse
Actually there is an actor who does also look a bit like Ernie. His name is John Francis Daley and he always reminds of Ernie..
well anyway
The article is quite funny but of course nothing new..
http://www.onthegotennis.com/
Old 05-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #45

ROME — Ernests Gulbis isn’t one to mince words.

So when the 2008 French Open quarterfinalist was asked to sum up his clay season so far on the heels of his Delray Beach title as a qualifier and his fourth-round appearance at Indian Wells as a qualifier, what started out as a confident defense of his performance quickly devolved into a fit of laughter.

“My losses on clay were against good players,” Gulbis told SI.com. “I lost against Tommy Haas [in three sets in Munich], and he won the tournament not losing a set. I was the only one getting a set from him. I lost to [Milos] Raonic in Barcelona. That maybe wasn’t a good match because I didn’t play good.

“I lost to Juan Monaco [in Monte Carlo], but I went a little bit nuts. I got a game penalty,” he said with a laugh, recalling his racket-throwing tantrum. “That was my, mentally, worst match of the season.”

Gulbis promised his coach he wouldn’t break any rackets after that tirade. It was a promise he couldn’t keep.

“I broke one [against Haas],” he said. “But since then I didn’t. I was good.”

Though his clay season had had some hiccups, the 24-year-old Latvian is still ranked No. 46 after ending last year at No. 136, the first time he finished outside the top 100 since 2006. In his last seven tournaments dating to February, he hasn’t lost to a player ranked outside the top 20. After successfully qualifying for the main draw of the Italian Open, he defeated Jarkko Nieminen and Viktor Troicki (who melted down in a way that even Gulbis thought was over the top) to set up a third-round match with Rafael Nadal on Thursday.

After Wednesday’s victory against Troicki, Gulbis spoke with SI.com about his ups and downs in tennis, explained why he prefers joint tournaments and echoed Jimmy Connors’ opinion that today’s ATP rivalries are “soft.”

SI.com: What do you do to pass time at tournaments?

Gulbis: Oh, my God. I cannot be original on this. I cannot.

SI.com: You can’t?

Gulbis: I cannot.

SI.com: Do you want to pass?

Gulbis: No, no, no, I’m not going to pass. Reading. I’m reading Haruki Murakami, the Japanese writer. It’s a cliche. Everybody’s reading it and I always run away from books that everybody reads, from movies that everybody’s watching, but I took it. I hope it doesn’t disappoint me. I read his other stuff. I read like five, six books from him already, so this is just one of them. [Gulbis didn't reveal which book.]

SI.com: When did you first realize you were good at tennis?

Gulbis: I never played tennis because I needed to play it. I never played it because somebody pushed me to do it. Until basically the age of 15, 16, I really didn’t care if I was a tennis player or not. I really didn’t think about it at all. And then slowly I started to win something. I started to play good in the European junior tournaments and it kind of just went and it went really fast. I came up the tour really fast; I was already good at the age of 18, so I really didn’t think about it. Then slowly afterward it turned. I started to make some wrong decisions and I got stuck a little bit. But all this experience was good.

SI.com: If you could replay any match in your career, which would it be?

Gulbis: Too many matches. I would redo a period of my career. From age of 18 to age of 23 and a half. That’s five and a half years.

But actually, I wouldn’t redo it. I wouldn’t. Because I got to know the tour and I got to know the people and I really enjoy being in the situation I am right now. Because when you come up on the tour, and you’re 18 and 19 years old, young gun, everybody kisses your ass and everybody’s nice to you. And then slowly, slowly, slowly, you go downhill, nobody really cares about you, you skip to 150 in the rankings, cannot get a wild card in the Challengers. Now, I enjoy being back even more than I did before.

SI.com: If you were the commissioner of tennis, what would you change?

Gulbis: I would make so many changes. I wouldn’t know where to start. Too many changes.

SI.com: Your mom told you to quit tennis in February after you lost your first-round match at the Bergamo Challenger. So what’s she saying now?

Gulbis: Now she keeps quiet [laughing]. She took it back and she keeps quiet. She doesn’t keep quiet in my personal life, but in my tennis life it was her last comment.

SI.com: How often do you talk to your family?

Gulbis: Every day.

SI.com: Do you like joint tournaments or do you prefer ATP-only tournaments?

Gulbis: I like joint tournaments because at least you see some ladies around. Otherwise, the men’s tour can get on your nerves sometimes. [A joint event] has its minuses, of course, because you don’t get all the practice courts. But I like to see women around. Women are a big part of my life and it makes me happy.

SI.com: Jimmy Connors said the rivalries between the ATP’s top players are “soft” compared with those of his playing days. Would you like to see more tension at the top?

Gulbis: For sure, it’s too much [civility]. I respect them. Great for them. Everything works for somebody. But I miss some fire. I miss some fire that people have in boxing or basketball or hockey. People like it and it makes it more competitive. Here, it’s like, “He did a great game and I was a little bit better.” No. It’s bull—-. “S—, I won the match, I kicked his ass, he was worse than me, that’s it, go home.” That’s the attitude tennis is missing.

SI.com: Why do you think that is?

Gulbis: I think because the top guys made it like this. They started it very nice, very gentlemanlike, and everyone copies them. Young guys coming up, they only see Roger [Federer] and Rafa [Nadal] interviews, which are always picture perfect. For me, they’re boring. Not as people, but the interviews are boring. Because they give the same answers every time to the same questions every time. I want to see some kind of action, more intense.

SI.com: Would you ever write a memoir?

Gulbis: I’m sure it’s a best-seller. For sure, it’s a best-seller. If I would write it, I would write it on my own. Sit down and write, and then we’ll see what’s happening.