~-* MS 1000 Indian Wells BNP Paribas Open *-~ Rog in the Desert! QF loss vs Rafa - Page 39 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #571
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~-* MS 1000 Indian Wells BNP Paribas Open *-~ Rog in the Desert! QF vs Rafa

The good news is that Roger will keep the number 2 next monday (now 415 weeks in the top-2) and that now Murray needs to win Miami to take it from him after Miami.

And if Murray doesn't win Miami, he will probably need to play the final in Monte-Carlo or play great in MonteCarlo+Barcelona (he's not even entered them yet) to take the number 2 seed in Madrid and Roma (it's better for Roger to be number2-seed to avoid Djokovic in semis and rather have Ferrer or another player -if it's not Nadal - )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
Like in Estoril 2010? How good is a loss in a small tournament for the old confidence? He doesn't need to scurry off to a small tournament like some journeyman trying to amass enough points to avoid having to play qualies. What he wants is time off. It was decided before the back issue came up.

In other words...

he said himself that he will reconsider his schedule again : we just mention possibilities in that case, that's all

Points may be useful for him to keep a top-4 seed for the US Open, which is in real danger now. You may not like anybody to say it but that's the truth

Now if he decides not to play before Madrid as he had planned, it's perfectly OK for me and probably for most people who just "think of possibilities"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
IF his back is completely fine I could see him playing in Monte Carlo. That tournament starts April 13, nearly a month away. If not, playing Estoril would be good. I almost feel like he needs a small tournament win like that to get his confidence back up.
Personally, I'm just concerned about starting on clay straight in a hard draw in Madrid Masters 1000 and I think having played one tournament before might be a good preparation. I still remember when he bumped into Gulbis in first round having no preparation in Roma 2010.

And I also think about points as I said.

I don't think about "confidence" here.

But I'm perfectly OK to leave him decide alone

And I don't think he would lose in a small tournament if he played it

Quote:
On the other hand, I really don't think the last 3 tournaments have been as bad as many people make out. The back compromised his form in IW but before that he played great tennis. In Dubai he looked good and was one point away from final. .
I agree with that : he played very good tennis against Davydenko in Dubai and against IStomin in Indian Wells. And before tweaking something on his back, he was hitting the ball very well against Dodig even though he made errors seemingly by too much confidence.

And then he tweaked his back ... (and he bumped in a great Nadal)

My only regret is losing so stupidly to Berdych in Dubai : he had everything to win that match in 2 sets (I don't even think of the tie-break : he should have won it before, the way he lost his serve in the second set was crazy and he had tuns of opportunities to break Berdych ; in the tie-break Berdych gave him some points as well) and in that match, he played really crazily, whereas he was in a very good form. I even think he could have defeated Djokovic ... which in that case would have been good for his "confidence"

Quote:
As he said, Rotterdam was disappointing but maybe good in the long run if he was to run into Delpo in the final and lose.
Considering their respective form in that tournament, Del Po would have probably defeated Fed but I don't think Fed's confidence would have been more hurt by that than by losing to Benneteau, quite the opposite.
He knows he can beat Del Po anyway : the H2H is 13-4, and most of these wins were in recent years, it's not at all like against Berdych with whom it's been 4-5 since the Australian open 2009 (included), nearly all of the matches being very tight.

Del Po is a very good match-up for Roger, honestly Del Po didn't even play well to defeat Murray and only Djokovic is a worse match-up for Del Po than Roger imo.

Last edited by duong : 03-16-2013 at 11:57 AM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #572
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~-* MS 1000 Indian Wells BNP Paribas Open *-~ Rog in the Desert! QF vs Rafa

A textmessage from Karin woke me up to the bad news yesterday morning but honestly said it wasn't a surprise to hear that Roger lost considering the match up issues between both players, Roger's current condition and the fact that he played a tough 3 setter against Stan in the previous round.

Apparently Roger has back problems since the AO and couldn't practice before going into the tournament of Rotterdam.

He knew he had a lot of points to defend there, in Dubai and Indian Wells so that he maybe decided to give it a try and play the tournaments.

Let's hope he can recover in the next weeks and that we will see him back in perfect condition on the court.

I trust him that he makes the right decisions - when he feels he needs to play a tournament before going to Madrid he will do so, when he feels he needs the time away to recover and practice he will do this.

It won't get easier for him to get over such health problems and all we can hope for is that this stage of his career won't be too overshadowed by injury trouble.

to Roger and to all of us in here
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #573
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnriqueIG8 View Post
I can't stand being in GM now.
You knew that you would have to read that kind of c**p over there when you applied for being a mod

I only had a brief look in the match thread and as always I'm shocked by the hate people show on this forum...

Minnie, all the best to you and your mother
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #574
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~-* MS 1000 Indian Wells BNP Paribas Open *-~ Rog in the Desert! QF loss vs Ra

I have to ask, how come such hateful and inappropriate behaviour is allowed? Some people don't add ANYTHING constructive to the forum. It's hit and miss - there can be great discussion and there can be completely idiocy that I know turns a lot of people away - because it nearly kept me away until I started digging further to find the good discussion.
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #575
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~-* MS 1000 Indian Wells BNP Paribas Open *-~ Rog in the Desert! QF loss vs Ra

Quote:
I have to ask, how come such hateful and inappropriate behaviour is allowed? Some people don't add ANYTHING constructive to the forum. It's hit and miss - there can be great discussion and there can be completely idiocy that I know turns a lot of people away - because it nearly kept me away until I started digging further to find the good discussion.
Well, the rules are lenient. Luckily we have an "Ignore"-list. After being on the forum a year I have added some posters to this one. I watched what they wrote long enough and concluded none of it deserved to be read or commented upon. Makes it easier to find the interesting stuff.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #576
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see DelPo keeping my faith in tennis. In a completely unrelated note, I saw the statue of Roger hitting a SHBH in the Nike store in London today .

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On beating weak era players in finals of slams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #577
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea, especially since the forum doesn't appear to have a "c**p filter". I must admit, there are a lot of people out there who could do with being stomped on (metaphorically speaking, of course) - I was surprised the other day, reading a thread which had nothing to do with any of the Big Four, to find it was really quite civilised.

I don't know, I absent myself for just over 24 hours, log on and find some really shocking results! What's up with JMDP?!
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #578
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Minnie, all the best to you and your mother
Thank you Doris .. appreciated. I'm rather glad Roger has all these weeks off ... means I don't have something else to stress over
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #579
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Still a little pissed. God damnit
So much time until Madrid! >__<
Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #580
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Guess losing to the ultimate winner slightly takes the edge off the defeat, though.
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #581

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

I used to hate Nadal, but now I'm neutral about him. I can respect the ability he has and the strength of his game even if it's not my kind of style. I've always loved his mentality though, and I wish Fed would have had that same mentality in many of his matches the last 5 years.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #582
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I used to hate Nadal, but now I'm neutral about him. I can respect the ability he has and the strength of his game even if it's not my kind of style. I've always loved his mentality though, and I wish Fed would have had that same mentality in many of his matches the last 5 years.
Sure, we can wish for Nadal's mentality. Or Isner's serve, for that matter. And Djokovic' back. But I say we're pretty fortunate with what we got
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #583
country flag StingSuperior

StingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Kyle. Maybe not even the mentality, but I think Fed should show more emotion in his game at particular times. Sure you will get the occasional "Come on!", but they are few and far between. Positive body language (even feigned) gives confidence and intimidates opponents. Just look at Nadal after saving break points
StingSuperior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #584
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Kat, I know. I was just looking for some ways to see Roger again sooner. He needs a long break badly. I feel that the packed schedule with the OG last year is still lingering for him.
Here is what a Swiss poster on rf.com said
Quote:
I have just read in the swiss newspaper Tagesanzeiger
that Roger told the swiss jounos in swissgerman, that if
he would not have had the off day on tuesday he would
have thought about a forfait for the Stan-Match
http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/fanzo...042#pid5137562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Sure, we can wish for Nadal's mentality. Or Isner's serve, for that matter. And Djokovic' back. But I say we're pretty fortunate with what we got
Litotes . Could not have said it better myself.
It reminds me of a quote I heard in a hip hop song:
Quote:
Stop looking at what you ain't got and start being thankful for what you do got.
So rest well and come back soon, Roger!

http://fedderz.tumblr.com/post/45674...e-always#notes
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #585

To be clear, I'm on the boat that says Roger is among the strongest mental players ever. I just think the concentration has waned in recent years, understandably.