~-* MS 1000 Indian Wells BNP Paribas Open *-~ Rog in the Desert! QF loss vs Rafa - Page 38 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #556
country flag StingSuperior

StingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~-* MS 1000 Indian Wells BNP Paribas Open *-~ Rog in the Desert! QF vs Rafa

One important consequence of Roger losing in the QF is that his no2 ranking is under threat, Andy could actually take over Rog. But i was thinking about this, and this might not be a bad thing if Rafa does well in the next couple of weeks, hear me out.

Rafa has a 360 points to defend at this IW, and he has already matched this. If he somehow manages to win, he will be gaining 640 points. Now, at the moment he is 560 points behind Ferrer and David is already losing his 45 points from last year. With all this said, and obviously depending on how Rafa and David go in Miami, if Rafa can overtake Ferrer the rankings will be Djokovic, Murray, Federer, Nadal for the clay court season.

If this happens and Federer and Nadal are seeded 3 and 4 for any tournament they both play (most importantly FO), Fed will never have to play Rafa until the final, which honestly is looking to be a good thing considering Nadal's growing confidence and form on the comeback trail. Also, there will still be a 50/50 chance of Rog landing in Murray's half (other chance is Djoker), which in clay court tournaments is pretty nice since he hasn't performed on this surface ever.

Of course I understand Roger is probably not too worried with the clay court season as his best bet is at Wimbledon, but I guess its something at least positive to take away if indeed he does end up dropping his ranking to Murray.

(Btw sorry for the long post, probably far too long to get my point across )
StingSuperior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #557
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~-* MS 1000 Indian Wells BNP Paribas Open *-~ Rog in the Desert! QF vs Rafa

Nice post, StingSuperior, and what you wrote makes perfect sence! Last night was very sad. I watched until Nadal broke the second time in the second set, then I couldn't take it any more.

On the close ups the pain was visible on his face..he looked 10 years older.
Hopefully he'll heal well on his time off. No matter what he does I'll always be his fan..(and really, nobody elses) I'll continue to watch tennis, but I compare everyone to Roger and no one even comes close. That's just the way I am.

to everyone here and to Roger.

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #558
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for those who had a sleepless night after watching the match ... hence the reason why I had a good night's sleep because I already knew what the result would be. In fact, the shock for me would have been if Roger had taken it to 3 sets!

I forced myself to watch the match this morning because I knew it would be the last opportunity to see him play for some weeks. It panned out exactly how I thought and reinforced my decision not to watch it live. Roger was clearly inhibited - and only his sheer force of will got him that break and a service hold in that 2nd set.

But he is to be greatly admired for coming out and playing a match he knew he had little hope of winning - and no doubt Nadal knew he had no chance of losing. Roger's qualities of character should be an inspiration to us all. Admiration for for those qualities hardly describes what I feel about him - let alone the way he actually plays the game (when 100% fit).

He clearly has had back problems on and off for some time now ... probably since the AO - and though I'm going to miss seeing him play in the coming weeks, I'm glad he now has all this time off to refresh himself physically and mentally.

to all ... we all love Roger, no matter what, don't we?
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #559
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Roger, you are always the best in my heart!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #560
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if he had any kind of presser after the match?
Hello, Minnie~~~Hope you are doing well!
Luna M
[/color]

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #561
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Luna ... I'm fine thank you ... hope this finds you the same.

Have a lot of stress at the moment .. (part of the reason why I couldn't deal with more stress watching Roger live at 2am UK time losing to Nadal). Trying to find my mother a good residential care home ... she's deteriorated quite a lot since her last bad fall at home. Still, at 87, she's doing better than some ... though confused and physically frail now, still has her great sense of humour. She'll make 'em laugh whatever home she ends up in!

Suktuen ... Roger is the best in my heart too. Always has been, always will be.
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #562
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Roger is more spartan than he'll ever get credit for.

Also, its nice to see he's still positive about how the year is unfolding; results haven't been that bad overall, he just needs to get the W, which I am sure he will. He's still one of the favorites going into Madrid, Halle, Wimbly, Cinci...so something good is bound to happen.

Now to skip Miami and Monte Carlo.
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #563
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunahielo View Post
Nice post, StingSuperior, and what you wrote makes perfect sence! Last night was very sad. I watched until Nadal broke the second time in the second set, then I couldn't take it any more.

On the close ups the pain was visible on his face..he looked 10 years older.
Hopefully he'll heal well on his time off. No matter what he does I'll always be his fan..(and really, nobody elses) I'll continue to watch tennis, but I compare everyone to Roger and no one even comes close. That's just the way I am.

to everyone here and to Roger.
yes I agree! and when he got that BP in the second set, I never saw a more miserable expression for someone with an opportunity to break! (Though I suspect he did want to, after all).

I will be watching all the tournaments, too. But I already miss Roger
Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #564
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Presser is out:
It seems rather short
March 14, 2013
Roger Federer
INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA
R. NADAL/R. Federer
6‑4, 6‑2

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.
Q. How much of an issue was the back tonight?
ROGER FEDERER: Same as against Stan. I mean, I could play. I'm happy to be out there and able to compete, you know.
But it's obviously a small issue. That doesn't work against guys like Rafa, obviously.

Q. At what point did you kind of feel this wasn't going to be your night?
ROGER FEDERER: Hanging in there in the first set, so you always believe that with a good return game, and, you know, I dug myself out of a couple of tough service games, that I could do it, you know.
The longer the match went on, I realized I had to change up my game. I played differently than I was hoping to be able to. Obviously he got more comfortable as the match went on, as well. Things became difficult.
Obviously once I was down a set I knew it was going to be difficult.

Q. Last night Rafa said that the strategy that he has always used against you, it was always going to be very difficult to apply tonight because of the condition of his knee. Did you notice something different compared to the other time you played together?
ROGER FEDERER: Tonight? He played totally different than the last few times I played against him.
No, it was the same thing. Yeah.

Q. Kind of related to that, when you came in here, there was a lot of talk about him being tentative, or were you surprised just how well he was moving out there?
ROGER FEDERER: No, I mean, he's not going to come back if he's not well. He's not going to come back half broken. I expected him to tear through the clay. I expected him to be tough here, which he shows to be.
No question, you know, he's a bit careful at times, you know, his movement. That's totally normal. Hasn't played for some time on hard court. I don't know if it's careful or if it's just getting used to it again.
But we're talking about slow clay courts. He can return from way back in the court. It's not like on a hard court where you have to react super fast. And even that would be no problem for him, otherwise he wouldn't have come back on tour.
So I don't understand the talk in the first place after the three tournaments he played on clay.

Q. What would you say was your percentage out there today? Didn't seem from looking that it was all of you.
ROGER FEDERER: No, but that was not the case against Stan, either. But then I win and nobody talks about it.

Q. I think you did talk about it.
ROGER FEDERER: Well, yeah, but it gets lost in translation afterwards, you know. You have bigger things to talk about, which is totally okay.
But, no, it was there but I'm ‑‑you could see at least I could serve full basically, and that always gives you a direction.
And then if it was bothering him or not in some moments that's a problem for me to have, but not for me to talk about too much because I don't like to undermine his performance, either.

Q. You did say at the start that there was a chance that you could reconsider your schedule if you felt there was a situation that might prevail. Given here, do you think you will reconsider, or do you think this seven weeks now that you're going to take away is probably best for you?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, that's the plan for the time being.
And now go back the next few days and weeks and sort of consider what's next. Normally I'd like to practice real hard and rest up and recover from this week. It's been a really difficult week for me, so I'm happy to have played a decent tournament.
Overall under the circumstances I'm happy. It's all right, and I'm looking forward‑‑ I'll probably maintain my schedule, but you never know.
I always say I will discuss with my team what the schedule is after here once the tournament is over, and I haven't had time to talk about it yet.

Q. Have you had medical attention?
ROGER FEDERER: In terms of?

Q. Your back.
ROGER FEDERER: What's medical attention in America? No, but what is it? If I had a doctor look at it? No, I didn't have a doctor look at it.

Q. Where do you actually head from here, Roger? Do you go to Switzerland?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. I go back to Switzerland.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #565
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingSuperior View Post
One important consequence of Roger losing in the QF is that his no2 ranking is under threat, Andy could actually take over Rog. But i was thinking about this, and this might not be a bad thing if Rafa does well in the next couple of weeks, hear me out.

If this happens and Federer and Nadal are seeded 3 and 4 for any tournament they both play (most importantly FO), Fed will never have to play Rafa until the final, which honestly is looking to be a good thing considering Nadal's growing confidence and form on the comeback trail. Also, there will still be a 50/50 chance of Rog landing in Murray's half (other chance is Djoker), which in clay court tournaments is pretty nice since he hasn't performed on this surface ever.
I already expect Murray to overtake Roger sadly. At first I was mad at him for missing Miami since he has nothing to defend, but in this form, what's the point? He would probably get Benneteau, Nadal, and Berdych again. I wonder if he would consider adding Estoril or Monte Carlo at all?
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #566
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post
I wonder if he would consider adding Estoril or Monte Carlo at all?
or maybe Munich (that's altitude like Madrid).

I never believed he would play Miami, but playing one of those tournaments sounds possible.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #567
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Presser is out:
It seems rather short
And less ... coherent? than usual?

Minnie: you have my sympathies. Ageing parents are such a worry, aren't they?
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #568
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

http://leftyadvantage.blogspot.ca/20...-to-nadal.html

IF his back is completely fine I could see him playing in Monte Carlo. That tournament starts April 13, nearly a month away. If not, playing Estoril would be good. I almost feel like he needs a small tournament win like that to get his confidence back up. On the other hand, I really don't think the last 3 tournaments have been as bad as many people make out. The back compromised his form in IW but before that he played great tennis. In Dubai he looked good and was one point away from final. As he said, Rotterdam was disappointing but maybe good in the long run if he was to run into Delpo in the final and lose.
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #569
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I already expect Murray to overtake Roger sadly. At first I was mad at him for missing Miami since he has nothing to defend, but in this form, what's the point? He would probably get Benneteau, Nadal, and Berdych again. I wonder if he would consider adding Estoril or Monte Carlo at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
or maybe Munich (that's altitude like Madrid).

I never believed he would play Miami, but playing one of those tournaments sounds possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
http://leftyadvantage.blogspot.ca/20...-to-nadal.html

IF his back is completely fine I could see him playing in Monte Carlo. That tournament starts April 13, nearly a month away. If not, playing Estoril would be good. I almost feel like he needs a small tournament win like that to get his confidence back up. On the other hand, I really don't think the last 3 tournaments have been as bad as many people make out. The back compromised his form in IW but before that he played great tennis. In Dubai he looked good and was one point away from final. As he said, Rotterdam was disappointing but maybe good in the long run if he was to run into Delpo in the final and lose.
Like in Estoril 2010? How good is a loss in a small tournament for the old confidence? He doesn't need to scurry off to a small tournament like some journeyman trying to amass enough points to avoid having to play qualies. What he wants is time off. It was decided before the back issue came up.

In other words...

Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #570
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

If he did play Estoril, he would still have well over a month off.
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote