~Carlos *News*&*Articles* Thread~ - Page 84 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #1246
claudine140

claudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~Carlos *News*&*Articles* Thread~

oya To Make Champions Tour Debut In Bogota

Former World Number One Carlos Moya will launch his ATP Champions Tour career at the second annual Seguros Bolivar Tennis Champions in Bogota, Colombia next month (May 19-22).

The 34 year-old, who only retired from the ATP World Tour in November of last year, revealed on his Twitter feed yesterday that it was the lure of competition which had prompted his decision to join the ATP Champions Tour, and the clay courts of Bogota’s Palacio de los Deportes are the perfect place for him to make his much-anticipated debut.

During his 15 years on the ATP World Tour, Moya reached three of the greatest heights in the sport, winning a Grand Slam singles title at Roland Garros in 1998, reaching the World Number One position the following year, and helping Spain to win a Davis Cup title in 2004.

The Spaniard also used the medium of Twitter this week to respond with fighting talk when asked whether he would pose a threat to the dominant forces on the ATP Champions Tour - Thomas Enqvist, who topped the year-end rankings in 2010 and current South African Airways Rankings leader Mark Philippoussis. When asked if he could beat them, Moya replied: "Absolutely.".

Moya will have to reach the final if he is to take on either Philippoussis or defending champion Enqvist in Bogotoa, as the Spaniard has been drawn in to Group A alongside fellow French Open Champion Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Younes El Aynaoui and Colombian Mario Rincon. Group B will see Enqvist and Philippoussis pitted against Colombian Maurcio Hadad as well as former World Number One Thomas Muster.

Matches are played over the best of three sets, with a Champions’ Tie-break (first to 10 points with a clear advantage of two) to decide the winner. After all round-robin matches are complete, the top two players in each group will meet in Tuesday's final.

After Bogota The ATP Champions Tour will continue its South America swing in Sao Paulo, Brazil for the Grand Champions Brasil at the Sociedade Harmonia de Ténis (May 26-29).

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Claudine :bounce
claudine140 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #1247
claudine140

claudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond repute

Muster vs. Moya For Place In The Bogota Final

Former French Open Champions Carlos Moya and Thomas Muster are set to play off on Saturday to decide who will seize a place in the final of the Seguros Bolivar Tennis Champions in Bogota.

Both Moya and Muster continued their unbeaten runs in the tournament on Friday with wins over Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Mario Rincon respectively. Muster reaped the rewards of his brutal fitness regime with a hard-fought 7-6(4), 6-2 win over his Colombian opponent in the first match of the day, while Moya also had to battle to overcome fellow Roland Garros Champion Kafelnikov 7-5, 6-3 in the day’s final match.

Former World Number One Moya is determined to reach the final in his debut ATP Champions Tour event.

“I really want to reach the final here in my first Champions Tour tournament and my first ever time playing in Colombia,” he said. “I’ll try to beat Muster tomorrow and I’ll fight as much as I can. I think Thomas is very fit, no doubt but I think I am in pretty good shape also but it’s going to be a really tough match for sure. I’ll try to attack and try to serve well because it’s not easy to defend with the altitude here and Thomas can run forever so I will be aggressive.”

The Spaniard is also savouring the atmosphere created by the 4000-strong crowd inside Bogota’s Palacio de los Deportes.

“The atmosphere here is amazing and I haven’t felt that for a long time,” he said. “It’s great to be in a full stadium with the crowd really involved in the match and cheering for both players.”

Muster meanwhile is hoping that his punishing fitness regime will pay off when he takes on his old rival Moya on Saturday.

“I’ve been practicing really hard for the last year,” he said. “I’m like Forrest Gump, all I do is run, eat and sleep!”

“It’s going to be difficult tomorrow because Carlos knows how to control the ball very well in these conditions and he is still very fit. I hope I am playing in the final because my flight home isn’t until Sunday so it would be sad to be out on Saturday. But I hope the match with Carlos is good and I have a chance to win.”

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #1248
claudine140

NEWS
Carlos Moya
Moya To Meet Philippoussis In Dream Bogota Final

ATP Champions Tour debutant Carlos Moya is to face an in-form Mark Phillippoussis in the final of the Seguros Bolivar Tennis Champions in Bogota on Sunday.

Former World Number One Moya reached the final with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Thomas Muster in his final group stage match on Saturday. Moya looked nervy to begin with against his fellow French Open Champion, but once he found his service rhythm the Spaniard seized control of the match and raced to a comfortable victory.

“I’m starting to feel a lot better and I’m more comfortable on the court,” said Moya after the match. “At the beginning I felt very nervous because it was my first tournament but my level has been improving and I feel really comfortable now. Against Thomas it was difficult to start with because he moves so well, but I just tried to be aggressive and that paid off in the end.”

If Moya is to follow in the footsteps of Pete Sampras, Stefan Edberg and Pat Rafter by winning the title on his Champions Tour debut he must overcome South African Airways Rankings leader Philippoussis, a player he has only once before beaten on a hard court. It is a challenge the Spaniard is looking forward to.

“It’s going to be a great match but a very tough match, especially because it’s quite a fast court and that favours Mark a little bit with his huge serve,” said Moya. “The key will be for me to serve well, because that makes games easier and I’m feeling quite comfortable with my serve right now. But Mark has a really strong serve too so that will make the match a lot tougher. The other key will be the crowd. It’s amazing to have such great crowd support here. This is something I’m really grateful for because without the crowd I am nothing.”

Philippoussis booked his place in Sunday’s final after defeating Moroccan Younes El Aynaoui 6-3, 6-7(5), 10-3 (Champions' Tie Break) in the third match of the day to secure top spot in Group B. The Australian faced some trouble against El Aynaoui, the first man this week the break the Philippoussis serve. But after a hard fought victory the former Wimbledon and US Open finalist expressed his excitement at reaching a third consecutive ATP Champions Tour final in 2011.

“I’m really happy to be in a third straight final on the Tour, but most importantly I’m happy to be playing good tennis and to be enjoying my tennis, that feels good,” he said.

“Carlos is playing good tennis and he deserves to be in the final here. He just retired last year so he’s in great shape and is hitting the ball as clean as ever so I hope it will be a high quality match. I’ll make sure I’m ready.”

The contest for third and fourth place in the Seguros Bolivar Tennis Champions will be fought by Muster and El Aynaoui, after both men placed second in their respective groups

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 03-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #1249
claudine140

Philippoussis Claims Third Title Of The Year In Thrilling Final

Mark Phillippoussis won his third successive title on the ATP Champions Tour in 2011 after a pulsating 7-5, 6-7(3), 10-4 victory over former World No.1 Carlos Moya in the final of the Seguros Bolivar Tennis Champions in Bogota on Sunday.

In front of a capacity 4,000 crowd who chanted Moya's name as the Spaniard mounted his comeback, Philippoussis just about had enough to prevail in the deciding set Champions Tie-Break.

"The vibe and the atmosphere on the court during the final is something I haven’t had since I was on the main Tour," said Philippoussis afterwards. "It was almost like a Davis Cup atmosphere and I was very happy and fortunate to be a part of that today.

“Winning three events in a row makes me very proud and very happy. Each of the three events has been really tough, especially this one in Bogota with Carlos making his debut. I'm very proud to be part of this Tour."

The first set of a high-quality final remained on serve with neither player earning a break point until 5-5 and Moya surprising his opponent with successful serve-and-volley tactics. Philippoussis had already won both of the ATP Champions Tour events so far this year in Delray Beach and Zurich, and he struck for 6-5 and then served out the set.

The second set went much the same way, with the crowd gripped. Moya nearly broke through at 5-4, hitting a stunning top-spin forehand lob that landed on the line, and at Deuce he stood two points from levelling the match. Philippoussis served out to briefly fend off the danger, but in the subsequent Tie-Break, Moya would not be denied. With the crowd chanting 'Moya, Moya, Moya', the Spaniard won the Tie-Break 7-3.

In the deciding set Champions Tie-Break, Philippoussis stepped up another gear, racing to a 5-3 lead. A double-fault let Moya back in briefly, but then the Australian reeled off five points in a row to take a 9-4 lead and set up five match points. He finished it on his first with a cross-court forehand return winner.

It means that Philippoussis has now won all three of the ATP Champions Tour events on the calendar in 2011, and leads the South African Airways Rankings by a considerable margin.

Moya was disappointed to lose, but philosophical in defeat.

“What can you do with that serve?" he said. "There’s nothing much you can do against it when he serves well. It makes it almost impossible. I’m always in a difficult position trying to return. I feel completely positive about my game. I was playing in really tough conditions and Mark is a really strong player and I couldn’t take advantage of the chances I had. The level of play at this tournament has been really high and I’ve been very impressed by the whole week here, it’s been great.”

The contest for third and fourth place was won by Thomas Muster who beat Younes El Aynaoui 7-6(10), 7-6(4).

Matches are played over the best of three sets, with a Champions’ Tie-break (first to 10 points with a clear advantage of two) to decide the winner. After all round-robin matches are complete, the top two players in each group meet in the final.

To view the round-robin groups and the order of play for the week in Bogota, go to results.

After Bogota, The ATP Champions Tour continues its South American swing in Sao Paulo, Brazil for the Grand Champions Brazil (May 26-29) where Enqvist is also the defending the Champion.

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #1250
claudine140

Moya Sets Up Enqvist Final

Carlos Moya overcame fellow French Open champion Yevgeny Kafelnikov 7-6(3), 6-2 to set up an intriguing final against defending champion Thomas Enqvist at the Grand Champions Brasil in Sao Paulo.

Moya and Kafelnikov shared a close rivalry during their ATP World Tour careers, with three wins apiece in their six meetings. In their second ATP Champions Tour meeting in as many weeks, Moya repeated his win in Bogota after a close first set.

"Today the game was pretty hard," said Moya. "Kafelnikov was pretty aggressive, really hitting a lot of winners. I'm happy with these past two weeks. Reaching a second consecutive final makes me very confident and happy with my game."

Moya, who lost a thrilling final to Mark Philippoussis last week, will now have a chance to end the run of Enqvist, who is aiming for a third Sao Paulo title in a row.

On the ATP World Tour, Moya and Enqvist stood at 3-5 in their head-to-head, but Moya won two of their three clashes on clay. The final in Sao Paulo will also be on clay, but Enqvist has been playing well this week.

"Enqvist has a similar style to Kafelnikov, he is very aggressive, hits hard and flat, so tomorrow I will have to serve well and counterpunch well," said Moya. "I am confident ahead of the match though. I'm sure it will be fun."

The Spaniard was watched by hise wife and daughter.

"It's great to see my daughter at courtside, watching me playing, that's really inspiring," he said. "The Champions Tour is a great opportunity to once again feel the excitement of competition, which is what I miss most from the Tour."

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #1251
claudine140

Moya Wins First ATP Champions Tour Title In Sao Paulo

Carlos Moya defeated two-time winner Thomas Enqvist to win his first ever ATP Champions Tour tournament at the Grand Champions Brasil in Sao Paulo.

Moya, who trailed Enqvist 3-5 in their head-to-head on the ATP World Tour, found a level of play that Enqvist could not live with to triumph 7-6(0), 6-3.

“I am very happy to win my first tournament on the Champions Tour here in Sao Paulo, a city that I haven’t been to before," said Moya. "I was amazed with the city and the public. I've played in many places around the world and this is one of the most beautiful clubs I've been to.”

Moya added that he enjoyed the unique combination of competition and entertainment on the ATP Champions Tour.

“The head of a sportsman is always focused on winning, and that was the same today," said Moya. "But the atmosphere is more relaxed as well and that requires less physical pressure. I’ve had a great week and am very pleased with how I played. I'll rest now because I played seven games in 12 days, but my idea is to participate in five or six tournaments on the Tour each year. I’ve really enjoyed my first two so I want to continue.”

The first set was predictably tight, with Enqvist having had so many positive experiences in Sao Paulo with victories over the past two years. Once into the Tie-Break it was all Moya. Using his serve and big forehand to good effect, the Spaniard didn't lose a single point.

One break of serve was enough in the second set, and Moya was clearly ecstatic when he sealed match-point to win his first ATP Champions Tour title.

Elsewhere, home favourite Flavio Saretta caused another upset by beating Yevgeny Kafelnikov 1-6, 6-3, 10-6 to take third place.

Matches on the ATP Champions Tour are played over the best of three sets, with a Champions’ Tie-break (first to 10 points with a clear advantage of two) to decide the winner. After all round-robin matches are complete, the top two players in each group meet in the final.

To view the round-robin groups and the order of play for the week in Sao Paulo, go to results.

The Tour will now move on to Algarve, Portugal in August for one of the most popular tournaments of the year.

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #1252
claudine140

NEWS
Carlos Moya
Moya Beats Krajicek To Take Second Successive Title

Carlos Moya won his second ATP Champions Tour title in as many tournaments after beating Richard Krajicek 6-3, 6-2 in the final of the Optima Open in Knokke-Heist, Belgium.

A late entrant into the event following John McEnroe’s injury-induced withdrawal, Moya handled the booming Krajicek serve with ease to follow up his victory in Sao Paulo in May.

During their ATP World Tour careers Moya and Krajicek had met twice, with the Spaniard a winning both of them on clay, and both of them from a set behind. This was his first straight-sets win over the 1996 Wimbledon champion.

After his victory, Moya went straight on Twitter to celebrate. 'Vamos!', he said to his 77,585 followers.

“It’s important to win still so having the title here is really good," explained Moya. "It’s been my first time in Belgium this week and I’ve really loved it. The crowd have been great, the weather had been good and it has been an honour to be on the same court as so many of my idols. I hope I am invited back to play next year and defend my title.”

On closing the gap with Mark Philippoussis at the top of the rankings, Moya said:

“It’s nice to be playing well enough to be up there. I am one of the younger guys on Tour so that helps but I still stay fit and put a lot into my tennis still because I still have so much fun playing and the Champions Tour is perfect for that.”

The third/fourth place play-off was won by Guy Forget, who beat former World No.1 Mats Wilander6-4, 7-6(4).

After Knokke, the ATP Champions Tour will move on to Chengdu, China for the third annual Chengdu Open at the Sichuan International Tennis Centre (October 27-30). The event will see the ATP Champions Tour debut of former World Number One Marat Safin, as well as the return of 2010 runner-up Pete Sampras.

The 31-year-old Russian Safin is guaranteed to face Sampras in Chengdu after being drawn into a round-robin group with the American. They are joined in Group A by Ferreira and El Aynaoui. Safin and Sampras faced each other seven times in their ATP World Tour careers, with Safin winning four of them. In Group B, Moya, Philippoussis, Enqvist and Srichaphan have been drawn together.

The event will be played over four days, with the top player in each group meeting in the final

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #1253
claudine140

Moya Beats El Aynoaui To Take Chengdu Title and Reach No.1

Carlos Moya is the champion of the Chengdu Open and the new No.1 player in the South African Airways Rankings after defeating Younes El Aynaoui 6-2, 7-6(6) in the final on Sunday.

Moya went through the event undefeated to stop the charge of the Mororccan, who had beaten Pete Sampras and Marat Safin to reach the final.

It brought to a close a fantastic week of tennis in Chengdu, with Sampras defeating Thomas Enqvist 6-4, 6-4 in the third/fourth place play-off.

“It’s obviously a good feeling to be No.1," said Moya. "It’s my first year so having the chance to be number one is great for me. Just being out there and playing against all these familiar faces is such a great feeling in itself."

As for the final, Moya felt the quality was high throughout.

“I think we both played very well," he said. "It was very close and came down to just a few points here and there. He played one bad game, which was the first game of the match and then of course it’s easier when you’re a break up to play your game, because you are relaxed. But then in the second set he had a lot of chances to win. Today it went my way luckily but he is very fit physically so if it went to a third set it could have gone either way. I played a great match and it’s been a great week for me at a great event.”

It was Moya's first visit to Chengdu, and he enjoyed every moment.

“ I’ve loved it," he said. "The people here are very warm and very kind and they are passionate for tennis and that’s very important. It’s a great feeling to be here, to win the event and to be top of the rankings now. It’s great to play a part in promoting tennis in this part of the world.”

El Aynaoui was disappointed to lose the final, but very satisfied with his week.

“I was trying to win and even though I lost the first set I really thought I had a chance," he said. "Then after I saved the match point in the Tie-break I really thought I had a chance still. But Carlos made some great shot. I was a bit more nervous today because it was the final, but earlier in the week against Safin and Sampras I was really relaxed because nobody expected me to win."

The Tour will now move on to Santiago, Chile for the first time - November 10-13, and then to London for the AEGON Masters Tennis tournament at the Royal Albert Hall, 30th November - 4th December.

To view the order of play and the round-robin

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #1254
claudine140

NEWS
Carlos Moya
Moya/Philippoussis Ready For No.1 Showdown In Santiago

Carlos Moya and Mark Philippoussis have their eyes firmly set on finishing the year as the No.1 player on the ATP Champions Tour, and their showdown on Saturday could prove decisive.

Moya suffered a surprising defeat to Thomas Enqvist on Friday, but the No.1 player in the South African Airways Champions Tour Rankings is still capable of reaching the Santiago final. He needs to overcome Philippoussis, who edged past Augustin Calleri 4-6, 6-4, 10-6 (Champions Tie Break) on Friday. The winner of their match on Saturday will go a long way towards topping the rankings at the end of the year, with only London remaining in 2011.

“It’s good to have this competition for Number One," said Moya. "It’s something that is there in our minds. Mark is playing well and it’s all going to depend how we both do tomorrow as the winner will really have a big chance to make number one at the end of the year. Of course it’s a big motivation for me. Mark has a big serve, he’s playing well and the court is actually playing really fast here so he has an advantage there. I’ll try to return well and we’ll see what happens.”

Philippoussis won their one previous match this year, 7-5, 6-7(3), 10-4 in the Bogota final.

“Carlos is a big obstacle to getting to the final," said Philippoussis. "I’m looking forward to the match. I think playing him on clay is a tough ask, it’s tough no matter what surface you play him on but here he’s really at home. But I’m happy with the way I’m playing and it’s been a great week so far here in Chile so I’m looking forward to a competitive match tomorrow and having fun.”

The winner is likely to meet either Greg Rusedski or Mariano Zabaleta in the final. On Friday, Rusedski squeezed through a thriller with Thomas Muster, 6-4, 3-6, 14-12 (Champions’ Tie Break), while Zabaleta saw off the returning Marcelo Rios 7-6(3), 6-2.

Matches are played over the best of three sets, with a Champions’ Tie-break (first to 10 points with a clear advantage of two) to decide the winner. After all round-robin matches are complete, the top two players in each group will meet in Sunday's final.

After Santiago, the ATP Champions Tour will move on to London for the year-end AEGON Masters Tennis at the Royal Albert Hall (Nov 30 - Dec 4).

View the full schedule for the week.

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #1255
claudine140

NEWS
Carlos Moya
Moya Wins Classic No.1 Battle With Philippoussis To Reach Final

Carlos Moya won a titanic battle with Mark Philippoussis and moved a step closer to the year-end No.1 ranking after reaching the final of the Royal Guard Champions in Santiago, Chile.

Moya triumphed 6-3, 5-7, 12-10, and then watched through his fingers from the sidelines as Agustin Calleri won the final round-robin match in their group against Thomas Enqvist to ensure that Moya went through.

Moya's match against Philippoussis lived up to all expectations. Between them, they had snared all six ATP Champions Tour titles so far in 2011, the Australian winning Delray Beach, Zurich and Bogota, and Moya triumphing in Sao Paulo, Knokke-Heist and Chengdu. Philippoussis won their classic final in Bogota, Moya took revenge in Chengdu. On the ATP World Tour they had been tied at 3-3.

Philippoussis struggled early on, overhitting regularly as Moya took charge from the baseline. When the Spaniard led 4-1 in the second, it looked all over but suddenly the man known as 'Scud' hit a purple patch, blasting winners almost at will to take it into a deciding set Champions' Tie-Break. Philippoussis then seemed the more likely to win as he went up 8-4, but he couldn't capitalise on his advantage and Moya shot back to win it 12-10.

Afterwards, Moya, who had lost to Enqvist yesterday, knew that he needed Calleri to beat the Swede in order to go through to the final. He watched the entire match from the sidelines, looking rather tense. He admitted as much afterwards.

"Yes, I was quite tense watching that match, particularly in the final Champions' Tie-Break," said Moya. "I never had that before where you have to wait to find out what will happen. It's a great feeling to be in another final. It's been a strange week, losing to Thomas and then beating Mark today and then waiting for Thomas to play his match. That's a difficult situation that I never had before so I am very relieved that that result went my way."

Moya also paid tribute to Philippoussis, and explained how satisfying it is to be able to continue their rivalry. "Mark is a great player and we've known one another for a long time. I have memories of many battles in the past with him and it's great that we can play like this on the Champions Tour. If you want to beat him you have to raise your level as he is very fit and still plays so well so it is a great honour to have this rivalry with him. Today I was 6-3, 4-1 up and serving and he just started to play amazing. It could have gone either way and I was lucky to have won in the end."

The Spaniard will face Mariano Zabaleta in the final after the Argentine, a debutant on the ATP Champions Tour, defeated Greg Rusedski 7-6(2), 7-5.

Matches are played over the best of three sets, with a Champions’ Tie-break (first to 10 points with a clear advantage of two) to decide the winner. After all round-robin matches are complete, the top two players in each group will meet in Sunday's final.

After Santiago, the ATP Champions Tour will move on to London for the year-end AEGON Masters Tennis at the Royal Albert Hall (Nov 30 - Dec 4).

View the full schedule for the week.

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #1256
claudine140

Ecstatic Moya Secures Year-End Ranking With Fourth Title

Carlos Moya completed a perfect debut year on the ATP Champions Tour by winning his fourth successive title and guaranteeing the year-end No.1 position in the South African Airways Champions Tour Rankings.

Moya, who squeezed past No.2 Mark Philippoussis on Saturday to give himself a chance of sealing the year-end No.1 spot, beat Mariano Zabaleta 6-3, 6-4 in the Royal Guard Champions final in Santiago, Chile.

The Spaniard was ecstatic afterwards.

"For the first year to finish at Number One is all I could hope for, it’s great," say Moya. "After I lost to Thomas (Envqvist) this week I knew I had to try to beat Mark (Philippoussis) in straight sets, not just for a final place but to get those extra rankings points as well. And I was on my way to doing that and then suddenly I got a bit tired, he started to play a bit better and I had to save match point to get the victory. Then I had to wait for (Agustin) Calleri to beat Enqvist before I knew my fate so it has been very up and down this week with the rankings. I was lucky in some ways but now I am very relieved that I am sure to be Number One at the end of the year.”

The final itself saw Moya at his best. He went into it knowing that victory would ensure the No.1 ranking with only London still to play. Zabaleta stood no chance.

“I think this was my best match of the week today," said Moya. "The conditions were so much better - it was in the night so it was a bit colder and the ball wasn’t flying so much. I’ve been struggling a little bit with the altitude this week and when it’s very dry conditions and it’s sunny it’s tough for me to control the ball. But tonight was a different kind of match and I think I performed really well. I was very focussed on playing a good match tonight and that paid off. I’m very happy to win another tournament here, it’s a great feeling.”

Having completed a perfect first year on the circuit, Moya is looking forward to more in the future on the ATP Champions Tour.

"I only lost two matches and I feel very happy with the tennis I have played in most of the events this year," he said. "I am fit, I am happy to be on the Tour and hopefully I will be playing for many years.”

The ATP Champions Tour will now move on to London for the year-end AEGON Masters Tennis at the Royal Albert Hall (Nov 30 - Dec 4).

View the full results for the week.

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 03-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #1257
country flag rosiemoyagirl

rosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey fellow Moya fans! Check our the photos and the Facebook page.Always good to get current news on Carlos.
Enjoy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-A...9329?sk=photos
rosiemoyagirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #1258
claudine140

Moya vs. Edberg In Zurich Final; Safin: 'Isner Should be Top 5'

Carlos Moya cemented his place in the BNP Paribas Zurich Open final on Friday with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Germany’s Michael’s Stich. Saturday’s final clash against Stefan Edberg will be Moya’s seventh consecutive ATP Champions Tour final, and a win would give him a record sixth successive Tour title.

The former World Number One is delighted at the prospect of playing Edberg in the Zurich Open final.

“Stefan Edberg was my childhood hero so it’s going to be special for me to play him,” he said. “I watched a little bit of his match against Mark Philippoussis and he’s in great shape still. His game makes you play very uncomfortable tennis. He hits very flat, he comes to the net all the time and doesn’t give you a lot of rhythm which is what I really like. But it’s going to be a special moment for me to have him on the other side of the court.”

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 03-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #1259
claudine140

moya won the final with 3-6, 7-5, 10-8

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #1260
claudine140

Moya Edges Edberg For Record 6th Straight Title

Carlos Moya won a record sixth successive title on the ATP Champions Tour, fighting back to win a thrilling final 3-6, 7-5, 10-8 against Stefan Edberg in the BNP Paribas Zurich Open.

Moya, last year's No.1 player in the South African Airways Champions Tour Rankings, is on top again this year, but he was pushed all the way by Edberg.

“It was such an honour for me to play against Stefan today," said Moya afterwards. "He was my idol for all my childhood, everyone who knows me knows that, even though our games couldn’t be more different. Playing him is my best memory from the Champions Tour so far.

“I came very close to losing today. For most of the match I thought I was going to lose and then the match just turned. It was a miracle that I was able to win really but I’m so happy that I did. I would have been devastated to lose.

“I think it’s good for the Tour to have this competition. It is a challenge for everyone else to beat me. I am happy that I still play well and I am in good shape but I am not unbeatable. I have lost twice on the Tour in the past year and there are definitely guys out there like Philippoussis, Safin, Enqvist that play at the same level, especially on a faster court.”

Edberg was disappointed, but motivated afterwards.

"Carlos was just that bit better than me today," he said. "It was close though, so watch out for next time Carlos!”

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA