~Carlos *News*&*Articles* Thread~ - Page 80 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #1186
claudine140

claudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~Carlos *News*&*Articles* Thread~

For those who understand Netherlands.

Carlos Moya plant comeback op tenniscourts

Voormalig nummer 1 van de wereld Carlos Moya (34) maakt woensdag op een persconferentie in Madrid zijn comeback in het tennis bekend. Dat meldt het Duitse agentschap dpa.

Moya bereikte de hoogste plaats op de wereldranglijst in mei 1999. Hij won in totaal 20 toernooien, waaronder Roland Garros in 1998. Een jaar eerder stond hij in de finale van de Australian Open.

Blessuregevoelig
Zijn laatste officiële wedstrijd speelde de blessuregevoelige Spanjaard zes maanden geleden op het toernooi van Madrid. Hij verloor toen met 6-0 en 6-2 van de Duitser Benjamin Becker. Momenteel staat hij 511e op de ATP-ranking. (afp/eb)

14/11/10 13u40

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Claudine :bounce
claudine140 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #1187
country flag ariel2

ariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudine140 View Post
here in Belgium I read in the sportjournal that moya has announced his comeback. He did this in Madrid. I am so happy, but i think it will be very difficult for Moya to win some matches. He is out for such a long time, has his age and his old body..... how can he concure with all those good young players.
And what about his daughter, he was so happy to be with her... or does mother and daughter go with hem around the world?
His older body.

He also has had surgery on his feet, hip surgery etc. The game has moved on and it will be difficult for him but I would love to see him play one more time at the US Open. He was the first of the Mallorcans, afterall, and an ambassador for the sport in Spain and around the world. I hope he can take his partner and baby girl with him.
ariel2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #1188
claudine140

claudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond reputeclaudine140 has a reputation beyond repute

yes many medical problems, but that is past tense i think

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #1189
country flag Carol96

Carol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh have you seen this?

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templ...=8770&zoneid=6

Moya expected to announce retirement this week
Reported on November 15, 2010

Carlos Moya will hold a press conference in Madrid on Wednesday, where he is expected to announce his retirement.

The former French Open champion, who became a father three months ago, has not played since getting injured at the Madrid event in May.

If true (and I fear it may be) it will really be the end of an era...
Carol96 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #1190
claudine140

Here The Translation
Former Tennisplayer Carlos Moya Announces Wednesday On A Press Conference In Madrid His Comeback On The Tennis Circuit. This Announces A Germanan Agency Dpa
Moya Was Number One In May 1990. He Won Totally 20 Tournements Including Roland Garos And He Stood In The Final In Australian Open
His Last Match Was Against Benjamin Becker Which He Lost
He Is Now Number 511 On The Atp Ranking

This I Found In The Papers In Belgium This Week

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 11-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #1191
claudine140

But I Think It Will Be More Logic That He Will Announce His Retirement

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 11-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #1192
country flag ariel2

ariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond repute

It is indeed the end of an era. Was a little down reading that news. Carlos is one of the young champs from the late 90's along with Ferrero, Hewitt, and Kuerten. One by one they are exiting the tennis stage. On the bright side Carlos has the tiny, beautiful Carla to fill his days. All the best to him and his family.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #1193
country flag Carol96

Carol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond repute

Friends, (I hope I may refer to you as friends here):

sad to say, Carlos is going. He bows out in December at the Copa del Rey in Seville. (Thanks to Marca and Google Translate!).

Carlos / Charly will surely be greatly missed by so many on the ATP Tour - he has acted as mentor, and as Ferru has put it, a "father" to so many of the younger players. He has had a long and very illustrious career, to say the least. I think that this must have been a very courageous decision for him to make, but for me a sensible one; after all he has never really recovered from his surgery and his health and his daughter and Carolina are his priorities now.

Enjoy your "retirement", Carlos:and may Carlita and Carolina bring your more joy every day.

Carlos Moyá dira adiós al circuito profesional el próximo diciembre

Según ha informado José Luis Escañuela, presidente de la Federación Española de Tenis, Carlos Moyá se despedirá del circuito profesional del tenis el próximo diciembre en el Máster Nacional/Copa del Rey de pista dura en Sevilla, torneo al que acude como invitado. De 33 años, el mallorquín fue el primer español en situarse en 1999 como número 1 de la ATP, algo que no sucedía desde 1973.

Escañuela ha señalado la "especial amistad" que le une con Carlos Moyá, del que ha dicho que es "un deportista legendario y una excepcional persona". Además ha apuntado el recuerdo para el mallorquín que tiene Sevilla, ciudad en la que ganó la final de la Davis de 2004 ante Estados Unidos.

Además del mallorquín, los otros siete inscritos en esta nueva edición del Máster Nacional son los de mejor ránking español hasta el 30 de pasado septiembre, aunque se ha señalado que Rafa Nadal y Fernando Verdasco no estarán debido a lo saturado de sus calendarios. El cuadro del Máster lo completan, por tanto, David Ferrer, Nicolás Almagro, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Albert Montañés, Guillermo García, Daniel Jimeno y Marcel Granollers.

As reported by José Luis Escañuela, president of the Spanish Tennis Federation, Carlos Moya will bid farewell to professional tennis circuit next December in the National Master / Copa del Rey in Seville hard court, a tournament where he goes as a guest. 33, the Spaniard was the first Spanish man to be in 1999 as number 1 on the ATP, which has not happened since 1973.

Escañuela noted the "special friendship" that binds him with Carlos Moya, which has said it is "a legendary athlete and an exceptional person." Besides the memory pointed to the Spaniard who is Seville, where he won the Davis Cup final in 2004 before the United States.

In addition to the Spaniard (shouldn't this be Mallorcan?), the other seven entered in this year's National Masters are the highest ranked Spanish until 30 last September, but noted that Rafael Nadal and Fernando Verdasco are not saturated due to their calendars. The table is completed Masters, therefore, David Ferrer, Nicolas Almagro, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Albert Montanes, Guillermo García, Daniel Jimenez and Marcel Granollers.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #1194
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

Carlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond repute

I'll miss him... been a proud fan since 96..... hope he'll stay on Twitter though, that way he's not completely gone all the best Charly!

Quote:
Charlymoya Carlos Moya

Hola amigos!en 15 min comunico oficialmente mi retirada en rueda de prensa,gracias a todos x vuestro apoyo,sois los mas grandes!luego sigo..
Quote:
Charlymoya Carlos Moya

Hi everybody!about to announce my retirement oficcially in a press conference in 15 min!thanks everybody,you've been great!
Carlita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #1195
claudine140

good bye moyke
you learned me to love the tennis game
i will miss you

VAMOS MOYKE !!!!!
UNA SALUTA

Old 11-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #1196
Bee

Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond repute

I, too, will miss Carlos BIG TIME! I've been following him ever since the Australian Open in 1997, where he beat defending champ Boris Becker in the first round and continued his 'fairy-tale' run to the final against Pete Sampras ... he was so young then, not speaking much English at all, but so cool (and cute )
I rather like this story below ... let's keep him 'alive' in our hearts. Hasta luego Carlos ...

CARLOS MOYA: THE FIRST MAN FROM MALLORCA By Nima Naderi (Senior Analyst) on November 17, 2010

When the word Mallorca roles off a tennis fan's tongue, the immediate name that comes to mind is Rafael Nadal. The Spaniard has dominated the first part of his career by capturing nine Grand Slam titles, while continuing to chase all-time leader Roger Federer. But when looking back on the history of Spanish tennis, and more specifically tennis in Mallorca, it would be foolish for any fan or historian to cast aside the efforts of Carlos Moya.
The now 34-year-old, former No. 1 ranked player pulled the plug on his handsome career earlier today in his native Spain. Marred by injury throughout the past 18 months, Moya's significant drop in the rankings, coupled by the birth of his first child, prompted his decision.
Capturing 20 titles in total, Moya began his journey toward the upper echelons of the sport by reaching the finals of the Australian Open in 1997. Clipping the likes of Boris Becker and Michael Chang along the way, Moya would lose a lopsided final to American Pete Sampras, but cemented himself as a new face on Tour.

Known as "Charlie" to his mates on the circuit, Moya's rise and steady career were highlighted by his early-detached forehand and abbreviated serve. Gliding around the trendiest center courts around the globe, Moya's insideout forehand style exemplified his gamestyle.
Entering his second Slam final at the French Open in 1998, Moya would face off against good friend and countryman Alex Corretja. Regardless of the camaraderie between the two, Moya's tightly wound headband and kick serve out wide were ready for business. Rolling through the championship round in straight sets, Moya's lone Grand Slam title wouldn't define his career.
Growing up under the tutelage of Jose Perlas (the current coach of Nicolas Almagro), Moya's future as a top flight professional was by no means a lockdown. Overshadowed by players such as Alberto Martin, Moya's weaker backhand and calm demeanor weren't exactly the recipe for Tour success. But as Moya's talents began to develop, Perlas admitted that Moya's calm and serene attitude would allow him to become a successful professional. In a day and age where players were manufactured and forced to play, Moya's easy going island attitude allowed him to keep the necessary balance that so many of his peers failed to embrace.
Traveling with his trusty PlayStation console, Moya continued to find himself hovering around the top 10 for the better part of a decade. Winning three Masters 1000 events in total, Moya's clay-court excellence also translated accordingly to the hard-courts in America. Experiencing great success at the Cincinnati event, Moya defeated Lleyton Hewitt for his biggest asphalt crown in 2002.
Moya's grandest achievement, though, would take place during the 2004 Davis Cup final. Finding himself with many sleepless nights entering the home tie against the US, Moya dialed up his potent forehand to defeat Mardy Fish and Andy Roddick in singles action. Adding to his legacy by winning the country-inspired competition, Moya's career was complete in many ways, even though he continued to compete.
Providing invaluable advice to a rising Nadal, Moya's premonition of the talented youngster was spot on. Claiming that Nadal was the best player that he'd ever seen, Moya versed his countryman in the daily routines of a top athlete. There's no question that a talent like Nadal in many ways can't be taught or contained, but Moya's influence and mentoring clearly gave the current world No. 1 a precise look into what his future would hold.
I enjoyed watching Moya's game for many reasons. Reasons which revolved around his unbridled commitment to running around as many backhands as possible; to his exceptional sportsmanship and dolphin tattoo. I'll always remember his backwards fall after he won in Paris, to the anguish on his face when he squandered a two-sets-to-love lead against Todd Martin at the US Open.
Although the Spaniard's game would be hard to pull off in today's era, his ability to check off every major accomplishment a tennis player could possibly achieve simply showcased both his mental and physical fortitude.
We have the pleasure as tennis fans to be a part of wonderful time in men's tennis. Nadal and Federer have given us a fist full of lifetime memories, while the upcoming cast of Tour professionals continue to push the envelope of their physical limitations. But when we look back on the career of Carlos "Charlie" Moya, I think it's more than fair that we salute the pioneer of Spanish tennis as the first man from Mallorca.
Something tells me that Nadal won't mind at all.
Bee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:07 AM   #1197
country flag ariel2

That's quite a nice tribute to Carlos. Thanks for posting it Bee. I've been missing him this entire year and hoping he would return so news of his retirement was a bit hard to take - similar to how I felt when Guga retired. Two guys who loved the sport and showed it each and every day they participated - whether on court, with the media, or accommodating the fans. Carlos has made a practical decision but it might have been different had his body held up.

I'll miss his calm demeanor and elegant manner. No one wore a bandana like he did.

But I don't think we've seen the last of him in tennis. And that's the upbeat part of all this. He doesn't know what the future holds right now but hasn't ruled out returning to tennis in another capacity. Perhaps he'll return when the new love of his life is a bit older.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #1198
country flag maqk

maqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond repute

A gr8 player, an even greater personality. I would miss him, specially the forehand

PEACE OF MIND, SUBMIT YOUR WILL TO YOUR LORD SINCE THE LORD KNOWS THE BEST, VISIT IRF, MAKE THE DECISION YOURSELF
JAHANGIR KHAN - longest unbeaten run"SPORTSMAN OF THE MILLENIUM"

SupportIngXristos4ABrilliantCarrear
maqk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #1199
country flag Carol96

I wouldn't put it past Carlos coming back to the Champions' tour as Tim Henman is planning to do - so long as his foot and back allow. Just thinking!! ;-)

Lovely article about Carlos, great person, great player.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:58 AM   #1200
Bee

Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond repute

Oh boy, the 'goodbye ceremony' for carlos was beautiful, touching, etc. brought a tear to my eye ... but so glad he was given that recognition in London, thought he might just bow out without fuss, and he was worth fussing over!

Of course I was (still am, really) a big fan and especially glad I got to see him 'live' in Australia for quite a number of years. I just put something on trhe general messages and thought I'd repeat some of it here ... sorry, but it takes time to get over this I wonder if he ever wondered how crazy I was holding signs + flag & cheering like crazy during his matches in Oz but I didn't care, I had such fun watching him ... and here I repeat my best and worst things ...

Best things:
* being able to speak to him personally (very polite and genuine) and getting his headband after one of his 5-set wins on the show courts (still haven't washed it!)
* winning Roland Garros 1998
* seeing him beat Lleyton Hewitt - in Oz, and at Cincinnati 2002
* seeing him beat Mark Philipoussis 'live' in Davis Cup final in Melbourne in 2003 - on GRASS!
* winning Davis Cup in Spain 2004 (only watched on TV tho')

Worst things:
* watching him lose - anytime
* not being able to play when he injured his back early in his career
* just missing out on his shirt after an A.O. match (grrr)
* losing to Lleyton Hewitt
* having to retire due to his current injury

Enjoy your retirement, Carlos, I certainly won't forget you. Enhorabuena!
Bee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote