~Carlos *News*&*Articles* Thread~ - Page 44 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #646
country flag Ales_Alessandra

Ales_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~Carlos *News*&*Articles* Thread~

Tks girls for the blog and pics!! Yes, boys, always boys!! But CaRlos, you could let Rafa post the pics!! Why not? I'm sure there won't be anything that bad on it!

MOYA!
Спасибо SAFIN!

GUGA, OBRIGADA!

Rafa-Nole-Ernie-Ferru-Feli-Juanqui-Murray-Bellucci-Nalby-Feña-Youznhy-Andreev
Ales_Alessandra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #647
country flag enqvistfan

enqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond repute

Press conference

Q. What about this match?

CARLOS MOYA: Well, it was beautiful for me, an hour and a half of pleasure, great pleasure. I felt I could dominate the ball, doing what I pleased with it. And that's something you don't very often experience. You know, it was a day of great inspiration, and I was very happy.

Now, maybe he started feeling pressure, and there was the pressure of the circumstances as well. This is the third round of a Grand Slam tournament, and that was new for him. I know it's the combination of these two elements I could play very well.

I had an opportunity to finish early with two sets at 40‑15, and I managed to finish early. I'm very happy about the way I played. He was not an easy opponent here, and I'm very happy about the way I played today.

Q. Second week here, you haven't lost one set. What else can we say?

CARLOS MOYA: No, I did lose some sets. But I have improved my game match after match. My experience here is great, and I have improved the way I play since Hamburg.

Now I'm arriving in the fourth round with an opponent that could come out as a big surprise for everybody. So I need to remain focused, and I need to fight all my opponents like Bjorkman, who I am going to meet. But I'm going to do that exactly the same way I have fought all my matches in my career. It's never been easy. I'm very happy I'll be here in this second week.

Q. What happened with the T‑shirt?

CARLOS MOYA: There was the advertisement, the commercial on my shirt, and, apparently, it wasn't well‑placed.

Q. You are 30 in tennis. You're almost a veteran. Is it fun for you to play with all these young kids? Is it motivating?

CARLOS MOYA: Yes, absolutely. I'm just looking at the ranking this year. I should be ranking No. 15. And I've played players who are 15 years or 10 years younger than me. And I've played on great courts. And, you know, just playing on a big court like this one and winning, or even losing by a close result, this is what motivates me.

Sometimes when you don't feel well, like in Rome against Baghdatis, that's very difficult. Not because I lost the match against him, but because of the way I played. And then it was Hamburg, and I realized that I still had the means to go on fighting. That your tennis is still there, and that it's more difficult each time to play tennis at this level. And each time you can play it at this level, you have such a great pleasure.

Q. You're the most veteran on this tour. Maybe you have a different way of playing.

CARLOS MOYA: Well, for people like Henman, Santoro, Bjorkman, they do something different with the ball. And maybe this is a generation which is a slightly superior to mine, because they do things differently. They feel the ball differently.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm trying to do things differently. I try and serve a very strong service. I try and serve well. I try and be dominant with my forehand. And it's not very usual to see veterans like me to dominate and win a match.

But, for me, it's a great honor to be here at the age of 30 and play one of my best levels in tennis, the best since the beginning of this year. Although, this year began very well for me.

And, you know, I remember Agassi. Of course, I can't do the same. He is unique. He was still playing at such a high level at the age of 35, and he reached the semifinals at the US Open. So he's a legend. But I'd like to approach the legend.

Q. One question for us for the Argentinian Press. I see that you said a few words to Juan when you were walking outside the court, what did you say?

CARLOS MOYA: Well, I congratulated him. But I don't know what his ranking is. He is 134. Okay. But his presence was not usual in Grand Slam or Master Series tournaments.

I think he played an excellent tournament. He reached the third round. It's a pity for today, but he said it was an honor for him to play me, and that's it. That's all we said.

Q. You don't want to talk about it too much, but there is a revenge underway against the Spanish in the fourth round.

CARLOS MOYA: Well, I don't know. But right now, I don't want to talk about this. I want to think about Bjorkman, about my next match. And if I win, I'll think about what comes up next. I've always done it like this. I want to focus match after match and little by little.

Fernando Gonzalez & Carlos Moya

Para siempre Gonzo

Still supporting you, vamos
enqvistfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #648

Ales_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond reputeAles_Alessandra has a reputation beyond repute

Tks val for the press!

MOYA!
Спасибо SAFIN!

GUGA, OBRIGADA!

Old 06-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #649
country flag enqvistfan

enqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond repute

I think sometimes, the questions are stupid, especially about his age..

Para siempre Gonzo

Old 06-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #650

As usual! Unfortunately!! But I guess he is used to it now!! He must not care about it!! CaRlos is still young!! As we are! Age is just a matter of number really!

MOYA!
Спасибо SAFIN!

GUGA, OBRIGADA!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:58 AM   #651
country flag maqk

maqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by enqvistfan View Post
Press conference

Q. What about this match?

CARLOS MOYA: Well, it was beautiful for me, an hour and a half of pleasure, great pleasure. I felt I could dominate the ball, doing what I pleased with it. And that's something you don't very often experience. You know, it was a day of great inspiration, and I was very happy.

Now, maybe he started feeling pressure, and there was the pressure of the circumstances as well. This is the third round of a Grand Slam tournament, and that was new for him. I know it's the combination of these two elements I could play very well.

I had an opportunity to finish early with two sets at 40‑15, and I managed to finish early. I'm very happy about the way I played. He was not an easy opponent here, and I'm very happy about the way I played today.

Q. Second week here, you haven't lost one set. What else can we say?

CARLOS MOYA: No, I did lose some sets. But I have improved my game match after match. My experience here is great, and I have improved the way I play since Hamburg.

Now I'm arriving in the fourth round with an opponent that could come out as a big surprise for everybody. So I need to remain focused, and I need to fight all my opponents like Bjorkman, who I am going to meet. But I'm going to do that exactly the same way I have fought all my matches in my career. It's never been easy. I'm very happy I'll be here in this second week.

Q. What happened with the T‑shirt?

CARLOS MOYA: There was the advertisement, the commercial on my shirt, and, apparently, it wasn't well‑placed.

Q. You are 30 in tennis. You're almost a veteran. Is it fun for you to play with all these young kids? Is it motivating?

CARLOS MOYA: Yes, absolutely. I'm just looking at the ranking this year. I should be ranking No. 15. And I've played players who are 15 years or 10 years younger than me. And I've played on great courts. And, you know, just playing on a big court like this one and winning, or even losing by a close result, this is what motivates me.

Sometimes when you don't feel well, like in Rome against Baghdatis, that's very difficult. Not because I lost the match against him, but because of the way I played. And then it was Hamburg, and I realized that I still had the means to go on fighting. That your tennis is still there, and that it's more difficult each time to play tennis at this level. And each time you can play it at this level, you have such a great pleasure.

Q. You're the most veteran on this tour. Maybe you have a different way of playing.

CARLOS MOYA: Well, for people like Henman, Santoro, Bjorkman, they do something different with the ball. And maybe this is a generation which is a slightly superior to mine, because they do things differently. They feel the ball differently.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm trying to do things differently. I try and serve a very strong service. I try and serve well. I try and be dominant with my forehand. And it's not very usual to see veterans like me to dominate and win a match.

But, for me, it's a great honor to be here at the age of 30 and play one of my best levels in tennis, the best since the beginning of this year. Although, this year began very well for me.

And, you know, I remember Agassi. Of course, I can't do the same. He is unique. He was still playing at such a high level at the age of 35, and he reached the semifinals at the US Open. So he's a legend. But I'd like to approach the legend.

Q. One question for us for the Argentinian Press. I see that you said a few words to Juan when you were walking outside the court, what did you say?

CARLOS MOYA: Well, I congratulated him. But I don't know what his ranking is. He is 134. Okay. But his presence was not usual in Grand Slam or Master Series tournaments.

I think he played an excellent tournament. He reached the third round. It's a pity for today, but he said it was an honor for him to play me, and that's it. That's all we said.

Q. You don't want to talk about it too much, but there is a revenge underway against the Spanish in the fourth round.

CARLOS MOYA: Well, I don't know. But right now, I don't want to talk about this. I want to think about Bjorkman, about my next match. And if I win, I'll think about what comes up next. I've always done it like this. I want to focus match after match and little by little.
Val u rock u rock MAN!

tks very much

PEACE OF MIND, SUBMIT YOUR WILL TO YOUR LORD SINCE THE LORD KNOWS THE BEST, VISIT IRF, MAKE THE DECISION YOURSELF
JAHANGIR KHAN - longest unbeaten run"SPORTSMAN OF THE MILLENIUM"

SupportIngXristos4ABrilliantCarrear
maqk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #652
country flag enqvistfan

[From Emol website] (Chilean website)

Here's a translation of the article

"Nadal doesn't intimidate me"

Carlos Moya won't be intimidate to play against his friend, Rafael Nadal in the quarter finals of Roland-Garros, because he knows him and because between them, there's an "emotional factor" which will influence the match.

"Between Rafa and me, there's less difference that shows the ranking, because there's an emotional factor and because we know eachothers", said Moya, seed 23, at the end of the match against Bjorkman.

"Agaist Rafa, the thing which makes me dream is that we played together at different occasions and I defeated him twice, and the last times, I defeated him was on hard court, in three sets", Moya says that he won't go on the court as a "loser", but he wants to enjoy the moment to play against him on the Centre Court.

Both players from Mallorca faced 5 times and Nadal won three times.

The player joked when he said that on the court, "there are no friends, but rivals", "I do not believe that I was a mentor for him (...) I do not know if he has learned something of me, but if he has done it, he has learnt better the lessons than I", he affirmed.

Moyá, personal friend of Nadal, confessed that the fast progression of the double winner of Roland Garros was not expected, but indicated that now it does not surprise anything to him of which his compatriot does.

"the main point gave in the final of the DC" in 2004, when the Spanish captains chose Nadal to play against Andy Roddick, he affirmed. "THe took off the beast that he has inside, the instinct animal, in a match in which there was much pressure. Then, he started to emerge, removed everything what he had inside ", Carlos said.

With his 30 years, Moyá is the "oldest" tennis player of the quarterfinals of Roland Garros, a fact that the Spanish player confronts with "pride". "I am greater, I do not like to say oldest, and that means that I knew how to adapt with the time, my tennis is enough good to play with the boys of now", he assured.

Moyá frente al duelo de españoles: "A mí Nadal no me intimida"

Lunes 4 de Junio de 2007
12:49
EFE
PARÍS.- A Carlos Moyá no le intimidará jugar contra su amigo Rafael Nadal en cuartos de final de Roland Garros, porque le conoce y porque entre ellos hay un "factor emocional" que influirá en el partido.

"Entre Rafa y yo hay menos diferencia de lo que indica la clasificación, porque hay un factor emocional y porque nos conocemos", aseguró Moyá, favorito 23, al término del encuentro en el que logró el pase a cuartos de final frente al sueco Jonas Bjorkman, por 7-6 (5), 6-2, 7-5.

Moyá reconoció que "otros tenistas salen contra Nadal con mucho respeto, porque le ven hacer esos saltitos en el calentamiento", pero señaló que para él "es menos intimidatorio" porque le conoce.

"Contra Rafa lo que me da ilusión es que hemos jugado en varias ocasiones y le he ganado dos veces, y las ultimas que me ha ganado han sido duras, a tres sets", comentó Moyá, quien indicó que no saldrá "perdido" a la pista, sino a "disfrutar en la central jugando contra él".

Ambos tenistas mallorquines se han medido en cinco ocasiones, con tres victorias para Nadal.

El jugador bromeó al decir que en la pista "no hay amigos, sino rivales", porque los contrincantes "uieren quitarte el dinero y los puntos y eso no lo hacen los amigos".

"No creo que sea un mentor para él (...) No sé si ha aprendido algo de mí, pero si lo ha hecho, ha sacado mejores enseñanzas que yo", afirmó.

Moyá, amigo personal de Nadal, confesó que no se esperaba la rápida progresión inicial del ganador de los dos últimos Roland Garros, pero señaló que ahora no le sorprende nada de lo que haga su compatriota.

"El punto de inflexión lo dio en la final de la Copa Davis" de 2004, en la que los capitanes españoles emparejaron a Nadal contra Andy Roddick, afirmó.

"Ahí sacó la bestia que lleva dentro, el instinto animal, en un partido en el que había mucha presión por la decisión de los capitanes. Ahí empezó su explosión, sacó todo lo que lleva dentro", dijo.

Con 30 años, Moyá es el tenista más veterano de los cuartos de final de Roland Garros, un hecho que el español afronta con "orgullo".

"Soy el más mayor, no me gusta decir el más viejo, y eso quiere decir que he sabido adaptarme a los tiempos, que mi tenis sigue siendo válido para jugar con los chicos de ahora", aseguró.

Para siempre Gonzo

Old 06-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #653
country flag enqvistfan

Full interview, from the RG Website

Q. It looks like Rafa is making it through. What do you feel about a quarterfinal with him?

CARLOS MOYA: Well, that match is not over yet. So I think if we get to play each other, it's going to be a tough battle. We know each other very well.

But I have a lot of respect for Hewitt. He's a great fighter, great champion, and he has lost the first set and is a break down, but is still able to come back.

I just want to say that if I play Rafa, it's going to be a beautiful match to play and very tough for both of us.

Q. What do you think he's learned from you?

CARLOS MOYA: I don't think he learned anything from me. And if he learned it, he did much better than me (laughter), so...

No, not really. He always had his own team, and I just helped him in whatever he came to ask me. But, you know, I don't think he -- I was an important part of his career, I don't think so.

Q. Does it feel strange for you to be, like, the second oldest guy in the 16's with Jonas? We don't think of you as an elder statesman.

CARLOS MOYA: Well, I'm proud of that. Now I'm the oldest guy on the field. But I still remember when I was the youngest guy in the draw, and now I became the oldest. So the time passed so fast, and the only one realizing that. But I'm very proud of being the oldest guy now. And I think I still have very good tennis ahead of me.

Q. Is it easier or more fun now?

CARLOS MOYA: It's different. When you're younger, maybe you don't value the things as I do right now. For me, it's a great honor to be in the last 8 in a Grand Slam like this one. So I enjoy more now.

When I was 22, 23, I was Top 10, I was supposed to be in the quarter finals of the Roland Garros, and now I'm in the Top 20, so it's great for me to be here.

So I enjoy things different now than when you're younger. You're top 10, when you're forced to be in the quarterfinals, and it's not a great deal. Now it's great to be somebody to be here.

Q. It seems you were a little bit nervous at the beginning of the match today, is that right?

CARLOS MOYA: Yeah, a little bit. Still I had chances to break his serve the first three games that he served, and I didn't make it, and he did in the first game that I served. So I know the pressure was on my side, and it was a match that I had to win. I was favorite, and that's not easy at this stage of my career.

He surprised me a little bit. He was changing the rhythm very well. If he was in the last 16, there was a reason. He's playing very well. He doesn't give you much rhythm. He comes to the net when you don't expect him.

So I knew that I sooner or later was going to start to play well, but that break didn't came. So I just had to wait. I was lucky that when he served for the set, I broke his serve. And from then on, it was everything easier for me. But still it was a very tough match.

Q. Is it strange to play someone like Jonas on clay? I mean, he is not a clay specialist.

CARLOS MOYA: Yeah, yeah, little bit.

Q. What do you feel against him? Is it very strange?

CARLOS MOYA: Well, a bit strange. If I knew before the tournament that he was going to be in the fourth round, maybe it was a bit surprised, because he didn't do very well last weeks, and not even in his best years on clay. But winning three matches gave him a lot of confidence. And also in Hamburg, he won third set with David Ferrer, and David told me he was playing well.

So I knew when I was going to the court, it was going to be a tough match. I knew it was going to be a tough battle. And he's very experienced, and he plays different than the other guys. So I had to pay attention. As you said, I was a bit nervous at the beginning, but I finally was able to win in three sets.

Q. Rafa has been doing a Blog on the internet, and he's mentioning a lot about how you and him are playing the Playstation, the football. Can you talk a bit more about that, and the rivalry, and what the atmosphere's like.

CARLOS MOYA: It's a pretty nice atmosphere when we play, the four of us. You get so nervous like if it was a tennis match. But it's good to have some fun. There's a lot of pressure here, and it is a way to not think about tennis. It's something that we enjoyed, we like. I think it's good for our mind to relax a little bit.

Q. Can you tell us the difference between Moya who is a guy who won the French Open ten years ago and the guy you are today?

CARLOS MOYA: Well, I probably was more -- had more winner mentality, I would say, because I won Monte Carlo the month before, and then I won the French Open. I was feeling that I was playing very well, but still there were many other guys that were doing very well. I was one among the favorites, but not the first one. I remember beating Rios gave me the confidence to win the whole tournament.

And now, it's maybe more a surprise that I'm here, and it's much less pressure for me when everybody's talking about Nadal and about Federer. You try to find your way to get to the quarters, and then see what happens when nobody is talking about you. It helps you in a sense.

So it's different now the situation when I was in '98 and right now. As I said before, I'm trying to enjoy more now. I know these are my last years of tennis. I'll try to make them more enjoyable then when you're 20, and you don't even think about when it's going to be the end of your career. Now it sometimes comes to your mind that maybe you have two more chances to be in Paris, and you try to enjoy it. That's what I am doing now.

I'm playing very well, and I am very happy to be here, to feel this pressure, to feel this atmosphere. That is the biggest difference ten years ago and now.

Q. Bjorkman said he felt very achy during the match, and the balls felt heavy probably because of his age. I was wondering if you felt any of that because of your age?

CARLOS MOYA: No. I mean, what I felt today was that the conditions were much different than the last five days. I played two different tournaments, and being on that court with such a heavy balls with -- the weather was not very nice today, and, you know, I don't think it was good for me. I lost the last five years on that court, so that sometimes comes to your mind.

But I feel very fresh; I feel healthy. And I'm 30 years old, but I don't think I had a lot of injuries in my past years, so that helps me a lot. I'm still able to be on court for a few hours and not feeling any pain or nothing.

Q. So it doesn't take you longer to recover now? Like you feel pretty fresh the next morning after a long match as you did when you were 20?

CARLOS MOYA: Well, a little bit. I don't remember what happened when I was 20. To be honest, I think, physically, I am fine. Maybe you lose a little bit of explosivity. I don't know how if I'm right. You're less explosive than when you are 20 years old. But recovery is fine. I don't think I have any problem in that thing.

Q. Regarding the serve today, there were a few foot faults. Seems to be frustrating you. Was there a problem with your serve? What was happening there?

CARLOS MOYA: Well, I don't know. The thing is that with my second serve. But if they call that, it's probably that they saw that. I don't realize if I step in with my left foot or not. You know, I just have to accept it and try to fix it for the next matches.

It's not that it happens very often, but in some moments, really, it's hard to accept that you've been called a foot fault with a second serve. And a few times it was 30-All, and give him a chance to break my serve.

THE MODERATOR: Spanish questions, please.

Q. What does it mean to reach the quarterfinals again?

CARLOS MOYA: It's a great honor for me. I haven't reached the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam for quite a long time, and I'm delighted. I'm happy and I'm the oldest one. And I feel very proud of being the oldest guy on the court. I've been playing here for many years, and I was in a position to take my time, to enjoy tennis. And my tennis is quite good, and I can compete with all the other players. I'm proud of that.

Q. Flavia, your fiancee has been with you. Is she important to you? Does she play an important part so that you win?

CARLOS MOYA: I mean, she helps me quite a lot. But not only her, the family, the relatives. I mean, it's very important to be supported by many people. So at the end of the day, I can concentrate only on tennis.

Off court, my life has been made easier with them, so I feel good in my mind.

Q. 3-0, 5-2, a difficult first set.

CARLOS MOYA: It is true that I was a little bit surprised, nervous. I mean, I didn't warm up, and I had the opportunity to break his serve, but I couldn't convert the breakpoint. Then at 5-6, I knew that I had time, and I felt a little bit nervous. Sooner or later I would have to step up my level, and it happened that way. That's why I won.

I played this game well, and I won the tiebreak and then things were simpler in the third set. I mean, things got complicated, but I'm very happy because I've won the match. And it was really significant for me.

Q. You might play against Rafa. What do you think of that?

CARLOS MOYA: Rafa hasn't yet won the match. I respect Hewitt. He is a great champion. He might win the match. But if I have to play against Rafa, it will be a specific match in the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam. So it will be a specific occasion. And if I play against Rafa, I will pull out all the stops in order to win.

Q. A lot of things have been said about the national anthem and the lyrics. What do you think of the national anthem? Would you be willing to sing the national anthem with the new wording?

CARLOS MOYA: Of course I will sing the national anthem. It is true that we tennis players do not have the opportunity to sing the national anthem very often. It's wouldn't be a problem for me to sing. It is one of the national anthems where we don't sing lyrics of the national anthem, and it wouldn't be a problem for me.

Q. You've said that you had wanted to play the match with Rafa. Will it be a rival or a friend?

CARLOS MOYA: Rafa will be an opponent, a rival. On the court, you don't have any friends. We all compete, and basically, if an opponent wins, basically, I mean, he would have more points and he will earn more money than you. And a friend wouldn't do that.

So Rafa will be a rival. When you are on court, you want to win the match, whatever the manner. And it will be the case tomorrow -- or rather on Wednesday. And off court, we are friends.

Q. Anyway you would have beaten him on the Playstation?

CARLOS MOYA: No, it's the same thing as on court.

Q. So you've seen Rafa, and you saw Rafa when he was young, ten years ago. I mean, did you think that he could achieve such a level?

CARLOS MOYA: At the start, you know, that it's difficult, but he was the best in his category. But other players, I mean, it didn't fully suit. In other words, we are a little bit surprised -- we were a little bit surprised. I believe in Rafa, of course. But when you have a look at his surge, you realize that he's been very good. In fact, he underwent some injuries.

And it is true that the career has taken a new turn against the U.S. as part of the Davis Cup match. Against the U.S. following this Davis Cup match, it was a watershed. I would say that this win awakened the fighting spirit of Rafa, and that's where he started his career, so to speak.

Q. Precisely, you've talked about the final of the Davis Cup, because Rafa came through before. And your career has changed, too. What have you done in order to reconstruct yourself?

CARLOS MOYA: I wanted to come back to my traditional patterns, I would say. There were two aspects, the mental aspect, I think that I've given it all just before the Davis Cup, because I wanted to be prepared. Following the semifinal against Roddick, the Davis Cup match, I was overburdened and I squandered a lot of energy.

Then on, I am under the impression that I've written a script, so to speak. And after that, I mean, I felt a little bit down, and I was not really ambitious at that time. So after all these years, I was a little bit exhausted. I was a little bit overburned because I achieved my objectives.

So that's what happened and that's what I felt. And at that time, people told me that I was not on the right track. People told me that my backhand was poor, and, in fact, I wanted to improve my backhand. I mean, with other athletes, I mean, I've noticed this type of phenomenon. With golf, for example, golf players, they change their swing and they lost out, so to speak. And I am under the impression that I've lost my game plan, and, in fact, had some problems with my backhand, and that's what I wanted to do to improve my backhand.

At the end of the day, I can strike a good balance between a good backhand and my game plan. So it took time, and I would say that all of these factors have contributed to the fact that a few years ago I was a little bit of overburned.

Moreover, I changed coach, and I didn't want to withdraw from tennis this way. I mean, in the past two years, the matches haven't been so good. I have lost against players against who I had never lost, and I gave myself a chance in order to become a very good player by sticking to my game plan. I would say that my backhand has improved significantly. I mean, it encompasses, basically, and it summarizes the situation of the past two years.

Q. Albert Montanes said before playing Rafa that he didn't know how to beat Rafa. Do you have a plan to beat Rafa? I mean, do you have the same feeling as Albert?

CARLOS MOYA: It is true that Rafa is an all-around player. He is a complete player. We played against one another. I mean, the last time he beat me was a tough match in three sets. So between Rafa and myself, I would say that there will be less difference than the ranking indicates. Because I know him very well, there are some emotions. I mean, there is pressure to take into account.

It is true that I respect him quite a lot and vice versa. We've shared a lot of things together as well. It is true that I'm more impressed when I play against Rafa than when I play against Federer, because I've been knowing Rafa for quite a long time. So it is true that there are some players who are impressed because Rafa tends to be an outgoing player. I mean, he jumps on the court. So for me, it's less intimidating than the other players.

But I can tell you if I step on the court, it won't be a foregone conclusion. I will enjoy playing against him on Center Court against Rafa.

Para siempre Gonzo

Old 06-05-2007, 01:34 AM   #654
country flag liptea

liptea has a reputation beyond reputeliptea has a reputation beyond reputeliptea has a reputation beyond reputeliptea has a reputation beyond reputeliptea has a reputation beyond reputeliptea has a reputation beyond reputeliptea has a reputation beyond reputeliptea has a reputation beyond reputeliptea has a reputation beyond reputeliptea has a reputation beyond reputeliptea has a reputation beyond repute

wait, are they engaged? i just thought they were dating?
liptea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:41 AM   #655
country flag rosiemoyagirl

rosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yep they are engaged...heart skip a beat there... even Macenroe eluded to it. Flavia has worn a small ring and sometimes a bigger blingy one on the left hand for a while.
Getting back to the age thing. On Tennis Channel breifs last night the women said " Jonas Bjorkman and Carlos Moya need to "reve up their pace makers" for the round of 16!OMG...
rosiemoyagirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:46 AM   #656

rosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond reputerosiemoyagirl has a reputation beyond repute

You'll all love this off the Carlos Moya Fan Club page.
"For those who do not get the Tennis Channel, there was an interview with Carlos by Samantha Stosser. Of course, they talked about his tennis and his age, next round with Bjorkman, etc. At the end of the interview, she flat out asked him when he was going to ask Flavia Pennetta to marry him. He stuttered and laughed nervously and said Flavia was still very young and they want to play tennis for a few more years and after that they will see."
Old 06-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #657
User ID 29337

User ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the news on Carlos, hes such a talented player!
User ID 29337 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #658

Did you guys read Rafa's blog on ATP? Carlos had to do "trunk flexions" in the middle of a restaurant at dinner for losing playstation.... what's a "trunk flexion"? These guys have way too much fun. Yesterday and today Rafa talks alot about "Moyini" interesting comment about the artificil media advice Carlos gave Rafa.
Even on the RG commentary Martina N. said Carlos could have been such a " matinee idol" and gone so much further in his career at #1 but it seemed the spotlight stopped him many times because he is so personal and doesn't like the media exposure.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #659

Moya To Face Protégé Nadal in QFs
© AFP/Getty Images
Former champion Carlos Moya won the battle of the oldest players in the fourth round draw at Roland Garros on Monday.

The 23rd seed, who clinched the 1998 title over Alex Corretja, knocked out 35-year-old Jonas Bjorkman of Sweden 7-6(5), 6-2, 7-5 for a place in the quarterfinals.

He will next meet fellow Mallorcan Rafael Nadal, who escaped a scare in the third-set tie-break before defeating Lleyton Hewitt 6-3, 6-1, 7-6(5). Perhaps above all other players, Moya has exerted the biggest influence over the career of Nadal, who remains forever grateful to his former mentor.

Moya fought back from a 5-2 first set deficit to take control of his 11th career meeting against Bjorkman. The Spaniard broke serve in the sixth game of the second set and never looked back as he recorded his 25th win of the season.

At 30 years and 287 days, Moya is the oldest man to reach the quarterfinals since Andre Agassi in 2003. Moya lost in the last eight in 2003 and 2004.

This year, Moya has reached two ATP finals in Sydney (l. to Blake) and Acapulco (l. to Chela). He has also made semifinal exits in Chennai (l. to Koubek) and ATP Masters Series Hamburg (l. to Federer) recently.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #660

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID

Moya: "Now I'm the oldest guy in the field but I still remember when I was the youngest guy in the draw, and now I have become the oldest. Time has passed so fast, but I'm very proud of being the oldest guy now, and I think I still have very good tennis ahead of me. When you're younger, maybe you don't value the things as I do right now. For me, it's a great honour to be in the last eight in a Grand Slam like this one..."

On what he taught Nadal: "I don't think he learned anything from me. And if he learned it, he did much better than me (laughing)."

Nadal: On playing Moya next: "He is a friend. He is somebody important to me for my career, and I need to thank him. He's always been a gentleman. And I had wonderful experiences with him. We won the Davis Cup together, and that brought us together, really. I must say that when he stops playing tennis, I'll still have a few years to go, but I will miss him because he is a friend. We can have dinner together every evening and have conversations together.

Will Moya be a friend or opponent: "On the court, an opponent. Five minutes before, a friend, and five minutes after, a friend. When you walk on the court, you have a total respect, total confidence for the person, because if there's one person I trust, it's him. But when playing a match, you play a match 100%, not thinking about anything else."