Nico News and Articles - Page 21 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-29-2005, 02:01 PM   #301
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nico News and Articles

I'll say this here too - I'm very proud of Nico for coming out in support for Mariano and Willy. Our chico is a good man. Takes courage to do that when very few others are.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 02:42 PM   #302
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute

Vamos Nico, good luck today!

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:31 PM   #303
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, good luck to Nico tonight!!! Wish there was some way to follow the match but alas...

And I have to add that I am proud of Nico too-It takes courage to stick up for these guys in these times.

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:17 AM   #304
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a ticker for the match on Terra!

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Old 12-30-2005, 01:14 AM   #305
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

4-6, 6-4, 0-0.

VAMOS NICO!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 02:08 AM   #306
country flag NicoFan

GANO GANO GANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4-6, 6-4, 6-4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NICO!!!

All that hard work in training, sports psychologist, just really determined attitude is paying off!

And this will give him much needed confidence by coming back.

He should have won the 3rd set easier but there was a little scare. He was up a break 4-2 and Z was serving and on the last point he did something to his ankle. Must have freaked Nico out because he lost his serve easily. And I was ready to cry - I couldn't take another injury.

He kept playing though so everything must be alright, and he broke Z again, and served it out.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:51 AM   #307
country flag NicoFan

Nothing about his ankle so all must be fine! Phew...

And btw - tomorrow he will play the winner of Nalbandian and Meligeni.

From Radio Cooperativa:

The tennis player viñamarino conquered for 4-6, 6-4 and 6-4 to Mariano Zabaleta and returned to the courts with a triumph that permits him to gain confidence with a view toward the season 2006.

The Chilean Nicolas Massú (65º of the ATP) returned to the courts with a triumph on the Argentine Mariano Zabaleta (83º) for 4-6, 6-4 and 6-4 in a tournament of exhibition that is disputed in Uruguay, advancing to the end of the contest.

The national player gave samples of its recovery and he showed thirst of triumph, what was reflected in the two hours that he was in the court to fight a match without a dominating space, but that Massú inclined to its favor in an irregular end.

In the first one set, Zabaleta was more certain and in the sixth play achieved the first one break of the match to be put 5-2. Despite the resistance of the Chilean, the tennis player of Tandil managed to remain with the first set.

In the partial second, Massú began to fight each one of the balls that Zabaleta sent. With velocity and resistance, the Olympic champion showed signs of physical recovery and with certain blows complicated to the Argentine.

In the seventh one, the national one broke and was put 5-3 to sentence the set and to send all to the definition.

In the final chapter both players gave signs of the pre-season and they lit up erratic what signified a seguidilla of five break consecutive.

Massú was put 5-4 and with its service sentenced the fight after two hours and three minutes of play, what permits him to dispute the end of the contest.

"One always wants to win. I have not played two months ago with people, with the pressure of the points and is difficult, causes is erratic", the Chilean in its first impressions after the victory in Uruguayan courts said.

Massú added that still is lack of rhythm and that felt the pressure to play with a good tennis player.

"We cannot expect to be 10 years good. I can be healthy, but without confidencedoes not win and I need to win to have confidence", finalized. (Cooperative.cl)
Old 12-30-2005, 05:31 AM   #308
country flag Sparko1030

YEAY NICO!!! Way to come back and win!!!
Very proud of Nico!!!! now good luck against David!!!

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Old 12-30-2005, 01:14 PM   #309
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Many congrats Nico I know it was only an exhibition - but Nico realy needed to get back into the "habit" of winning matches - so this is a good place to start. Winning a close match in the final set will be good for his confidence.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #310
country flag NicoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
Many congrats Nico I know it was only an exhibition - but Nico realy needed to get back into the "habit" of winning matches - so this is a good place to start. Winning a close match in the final set will be good for his confidence.
Totally agree. Normally don't even watch exhibitions that closely but this one I did - he definitely needed to beat Z - it was a match that he should win, and he did. Should make him feel good about his game.

Not worried about the match with David tonight. Win or lose, it will be good for him to see how his game stacks up against David and see what he needs to work on - and he and Gaby can then work on them in time for Auckland and the Oz Open.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:47 PM   #311
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoFan
Totally agree. Normally don't even watch exhibitions that closely but this one I did - he definitely needed to beat Z - it was a match that he should win, and he did. Should make him feel good about his game.

Not worried about the match with David tonight. Win or lose, it will be good for him to see how his game stacks up against David and see what he needs to work on - and he and Gaby can then work on them in time for Auckland and the Oz Open.
Definately agree - David hasn't lost a match since his 1st match in Shanghai (against Roger) - he is the man to beat at the moment, and to lose to him would be no disgrace. I actually said the exact same thing about Juan Mónaco in the Copa Argentina recently - I was thrilled that he beat Mariano Z. because it was a match he should have won - but losing to David was almost to be expected, and I was just happy that he gave a good account of himself there and the match was reasonably close. Good Luck to Nico against David anyway

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
Old 12-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #312
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

This is from today's Argentine newspaper "Infobae" about Nico's comments supportig Mariano Puerta.http://www.infobae.com/notas/nota.ph...Seccion=100685

Massú defends Cañas and Puerta.

The Chilean tennis player supportes his Argentine colleagues, considering that in spite of the doping issues, "they are great players and none of this takes anything away from what they have gained". And he attacks the Europeans and North Americans.

Before making his debut in the Desafi'o Telmex in Uruguay, the Chilean tennis player Nicolas Massú endorses the Argentine tennis players affected by the cases of doping, assuring that "independently from the positive doping issues, they are great tennis players". Massú, who ended last year at Number 65 in the ATP ranking after a season of injuries and poor results, assured that the cases of Guillermo Cañas and Mariano Puerta "were a hard blow for South American tennis".

On this subject, he attacked the position taken by his European and North American colleagues: "I believe that they look at things in a different way and distrust those players. I saw that several criticised after the positives were confirmed ".

The Chilean said: "The Latin American players stand side by side, that is what we have to do". And in an nterview with the newspaper "Las Ultimas Noticias" he added, "I admire them like great tennis players, and independently of these positive issues they are still great tennis players. This does not dim them"

Old 12-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #313
country flag NicoFan

Thanks Rosie!

I love how he said that the LA players have to stand side by side.

I truly believe (my own humble opinion) that they are treated like second class citizens by the ATP and at tournaments. And I truly believe that they think so too.

Which is why I think many of their fans defend them so much and stand by them too.

About his match with David - Like you said, as long as he makes a good showing. I doubt that he can win either. But you never know - maybe David ate too many Christmas cookies over the holidays.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #314
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoFan
Thanks Rosie!

I love how he said that the LA players have to stand side by side.

I truly believe (my own humble opinion) that they are treated like second class citizens by the ATP and at tournaments. And I truly believe that they think so too.

Which is why I think many of their fans defend them so much and stand by them too.

About his match with David - Like you said, as long as he makes a good showing. I doubt that he can win either. But you never know - maybe David ate too many Christmas cookies over the holidays.
....or drank too much champagne at one of these interminable awards ceremonies he seems to be winning lately! As to your comments about the "second class citizen" thing - well yes - from my observations on tour and talking to various people, I have to agree with you. Sadly, many of them do seem to feel they are looked at in this way so it is good that they always stick together and have each other for company and support in the bad times - a great "team" spirit!

Old 12-30-2005, 09:02 PM   #315
country flag DhammaTiger
May All Beings Be Happy!!

Location: So happy to be back to the City of Angels (Krung Thep)
DhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rosie for the translation of Nico's words. Yes, I agree Lynn that the powers that be in tennis, definitely treat the Latin Americans and may I also say Spanish players second class. The monicker clay court specialist is always hung on their neck.but you never hear a Roddick or a Ljubicic, for example being labeled as a hard court or indoor specialist being. no news report is free of this disparaging phrase:clay-court specialist, or dirt-baller, when a LA or spanish player wins a match. But you know what, despite this disparagement it is the "claycourters" who are doing well on hard courts and indoors while their favoured ones cannot even play on court in the best of times. Now that the the Latins are showing their competence and real talent by dominating unequivocally the upper echelons of the ranking, they are coming out with the excuses that their are too many clay tournaments, and those should be cut down. What makes me really,really angry is that the bulk of the fans and those genuinely interested in tennis comes from Latin America and Spain, and are by far holding up the fortunes of the tennis world. The fact that in North America and English speaking countries in general, tennis is way behind the other sports in popularity among the public.