Nico News and Articles - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-15-2005, 03:15 PM   #16
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nico News and Articles

Reject Massú's injury

"Nicolás suffered an inconvenience in the right ankle, but after a few examinations an injury discarded ", said his father, Manuel Massú.

Good news, seems like he is ready for Australia

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2005, 04:37 PM   #17
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nico News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie
Reject Massú's injury

"Nicolás suffered an inconvenience in the right ankle, but after a few examinations an injury discarded ", said his father, Manuel Massú.

Good news, seems like he is ready for Australia
That's great news - thanks for sharing Fergie

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:50 PM   #18
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News and Articles

I have to admit that I do not trust Nico's father on anything he says about injuries after the hernia fiasco. Nico should have had that surgery the day he returned from Paris - they wasted precious offseason time when he could have been recuperating and wasn't training anyway - look how far it has put him behind. And Nico's father insisted over and over again that rest would take care of it, and that it was small - hmmmm....rest did not take care of it, and it was not small.

At least papa Massu was slightly better than Pato who denied that Nico even had a hernia.

And I don't think Nico should be playing in Australia - he shouldn't have gone to begin with - none of the other top players would have taken that chance - 5 weeks after surgery and only 2 weeks of training - on getting reinjured.

He should go home to Chile, rest his ankle since its probably the tendinitus (which only goes away with rest), and then start training after a week on clay which is a much easier surface than hardcourt. Then he'll be ready for the Latin American swing tournaments where he has good chances to win and get points.

But that's my humble opinion... :-)
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:30 PM   #19
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60
Question for anyone in Chile:

There was an article in lacuarta this morning that seems to put Nico in the middle again regarding De La Pena's nationalization and a presumed falling out with Fernando. Does anyone have any info? Personally this is bad timing for this nonsense. Nico needs to fell comfortable and concentrated on his playing and not this other stuff. Thanks anyone.
I read it now ... And yes, Nicolas is angry with Horacio " because he put it in opposition to the country ", also said that Nicolas and Fernado aren't friends and probably not will play the doubles match for the Davis Cup ... This is a very sad news for the team

Old 01-15-2005, 08:06 PM   #20
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't think a lot of it is true- I watched Nico and Fernando a lot together, and if they aren't good friends, then they are both very good actors. They seem very comfortable with each other. And they do things together off court.

As for Nico being angry with Horacio, they've never gotten along. And Nico said he didn't think that Horacio should get nationalization. But I think that he realizes that Davis Cup is most important now - I don't think he would do anything that would mess up Chile's chances to win.

When he gets back from Australia, he should probably make a statement himself. Instead of others talking for him.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:20 PM   #21
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Acording to what I read Nicolas and Fernando aren't friends now for this problem of Horacio's nationalization ... I will wait to see if they will play together in Australia

Old 01-16-2005, 12:12 AM   #22
country flag NicoFan

If that is true, then this entire thing is very sad.

However, Fernando said about a week ago that people were saying there was a problem with himself and Nico, and that was untrue.

And Adrian also said that they are very good friends.

I'm not sure they would play doubles anyway in Australia. Last year they only played doubles because they both lost in the first round. I think its going to take a bit longer to tell if it really has affected their relationship.

Again if it is true, then its a complete shame. I will be very disappointed with everyone involved if an egotistical male power struggle cost these two - who have been close friends for years - their friendship.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:27 AM   #23
Kathy

Kathy has a reputation beyond reputeKathy has a reputation beyond reputeKathy has a reputation beyond reputeKathy has a reputation beyond reputeKathy has a reputation beyond reputeKathy has a reputation beyond reputeKathy has a reputation beyond reputeKathy has a reputation beyond reputeKathy has a reputation beyond reputeKathy has a reputation beyond reputeKathy has a reputation beyond repute

Whew, this is all very sad. NicoFan, you tell it like it is. I cannot imagine what it would really be like if Fernado and Nicolas are not friends. It would be disappointing on so many levels, the most being the personal loss to them both. And can they put it aside to play DC together? The Gold Medal Doubles team no longer exists? Oh, I hope this doesn't get me in trouble but I so agree that I only want to hear from Massu about his injuries and even then, do we really know. On some level, it could even be said it isn't my business. I just think a male athelte can have a hard time coming to grips with their injuries. Again, he doesn't owe me an explanation but I am getting to be lery of these people around him, even his dad. Do they see a man or an easy way to make their money if they keep him out there? But then he too has to stick up for himself and say he's not playing until he is 100%. And thanks again to all of you who help make my interest in Massu easier.
Kathy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #24
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Massú doubts his level for inconvenience in the ankle

Nicolás Massú could not start from worse way this year. Because though hethought that the injury to the straight ankle was not of gravity, yesterday the chilean realized that the inconvenience can spend the account to him(her).

Never he felt well in the practices before the Spanish Félix Mantilla and demonstrated in his face the pain that was provoking him to run towards the difficult balls.

"I have had bad luck. The problem is to play this way five sets from a beginning", said the "El Vampiro" with natural worry, who suffered this injury playing with the Argentinian David Nalbandian in the Kooyong Classic Tournament, an exhibition that was disputed in Melbourne.

But not everything is a bad fortune, so, as Fernando Gonzalez, it was not programmed in the opened one of Australia to make début tomorrow. Patricio Rodríguez, besides, discarded flatly that his ward has the intention of retiring from the contest.

This don't look good for Nico

Old 01-16-2005, 02:43 PM   #25
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear - that sounds bad . In my opinion, if Nico isn't fully fit then he really should withdraw right now instead of risking making this injury any worse. Of course I don't want him to pull out, but I spent most of last year watching David make failed come-backs from injury before his body was fully recovered, and the result of this was him missing over half the season, including four Masters' Series events, Wimbledon and the Olympics It was an awful year and I wouldn't wish that on Nico - we are still very early in the season and if he withdrew now he could get himself fully fit for Davis Cup and the clay court season. Just my opinion anyway.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
Old 01-16-2005, 02:53 PM   #26
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

I agree with your Rosie, Nico doesn't defend points in Australia and if he isn't physically well, it's better that Nico doesn't play and is prepared for the clay season here ... If Nico doesn't play in Vińa del Mar for being injured it would be a great disappointment for all of us

Old 01-16-2005, 03:22 PM   #27
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie
I agree with your Rosie, Nico doesn't defend points in Australia and if he isn't physically well, it's better that Nico doesn't play and is prepared for the clay season here ... If Nico doesn't play in Vińa del Mar for being injured it would be a great disappointment for all of us
Yes - I can imagine it would be but I'm sure he'll be fit and well by then. I have two friends travelling from Europe for the Chile tournament and they will want to see Nico too. Do you live in Vina del Mar?

Old 01-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #28
country flag NicoFan

He is taking a huge chance on being injured again.

I don't understand Pato either - same guy that insisted Nico did not have a hernia.

Just have to wonder about the "experts" who are advising Nico..as I said, if it were up to me...lol!...I would never have let him go to Australia to begin with, and two, he'd be on a plane back to Chile right now to rest his foot, and then prepare for the Latin America swing.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:10 PM   #29
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Must say it's strange - I've been travelling on the tennis circuit a long time now and I've always had the greatest respect for Pato under normal circumstances, - but what he says does seem odd. Seems like there does seem to be something going on "more than meets the eye" as we say here in England

Old 01-16-2005, 07:13 PM   #30
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60
Rosie- sounds like you are a longtime tennis fan, but are you involved in tennis professionally as well? I also had heard that Pato was a great coach, but I am surprised at his comments when it comes to his pupil. And from what I have read, Massu seems to respect Pato's judgement. I am just hoping for the best.
Unfortunately the start to Nico's last few years have been tough. On him and his fans :-)
I'm not involved professionally myself cobalt60, - but I worked in the media in Britain for a good few years, and still have friends involved in sports journalism, photography etc in Europe which is how I manage to get to so many tournaments Pato seems like a nice guy - and - as you say - Nico seems to like him a lot and respect his judgement which is the most important thing in a player/coach relationship. They have to spend so much time together "on the road" that if they didn't like and respect each other it just wouldn't work and would be disastrous for all concerned. I wish Nico all the best for a complete and speedy recovery.