Gulbis: "Some in top 100 can't play tennis." - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #61
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gulbis: "Some in top 100 can't play tennis."

It's true. Most players in the top 100 are lucky newbs

Przysiezny's win over Gulbis this year is only legit until he flukes his way into the top 100
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #62
country flag MachimoI

MachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivelina_P View Post
^But I believe Tomic has much more potential.He's already started to unfold at a rapid rate,while Gulbis not so much.
On what is this based on?

How many matches of Gulbis have you seen?

-Ernests Gulbis, 2011.
MachimoI is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #63
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachimoI View Post
Lolbis to Sauletekis: "Who's Tomic?"
A smarter and more talented player than him, who won his 1st ATP tittle, earlier in carrer, than Lolbis?

By the age of 24 Tomic will already have a Slam in his bag, while Lolbis is struglling to qualify for 250 events.

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Sauletekis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #64
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the sun-sentinel article I dug up. The bolded part is what scoobs is referring to, completely agree.

OT: interesting info about malisse and his future in the article too.

At Delray ITC, Gulbis hopes new attitude helps him reach potential

Many tennis observers believed that when Ernests Gulbis won his first ATP title at the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships in 2010 it would springboard him to stardom.

Instead, the enigmatic son of Latvian millionaire businessman Ainars Gulbis reverted to his underachieving ways and plummeted from a career-high 21 in February 2011 to No. 109. So he needed to win his third qualifiying match on Monday just to get into the 32-player draw at the ITC this year.

Gulbis, 24, who has flashed top-10 potential since turning pro at 16 but has never cracked the top 20, admitted he preferred partying over practicing, and actually didn't really like tennis.

However, a very thin 6-foot-3 Gulbis, who hired renowned coach Gunther Bresnik last June, said he has finally found the motivation to get in shape and fulfill his potential.

"I was really getting pissed to see who's in the top 100,'' Gulbis said after squeaking out a three-set victory over Denys Molchanov. "There are some guys who I don't know who they are. Some guys, I'm sorry, with respect — they can't play tennis.

"I don't know how they got into the top 100. It's tough, but I think I'm much better than them and I just want to prove to myself by the rankings, also. It's a motivation.''

At 19, Gulbis reached the quarterfinals of the French Open. Four months after winning the ITC in 2010, he shocked then world No. 1 Roger Federer en route to the semifinals of the Rome Masters 1000.

In 2011, he captured his second title in Los Angeles, and last summer he fired 30 aces to stun No. 7 Tomas Berdych at Wimbledon before losing to No. 136 Jerzy Janowicz. However, he hasn't gotten out of the second round in his last 17 Grand Slams.

His career bar graph appears to be drunk.

"This is the first year I really want to do this,'' Gulbis said. "I'm starting to enjoy tennis much more. Before I didn't like it, honestly. I had a couple of good wins and enjoyed it. Then I went on the wrong path and was doing wrong stuff for my game.

"Now, I want to play maybe five more years and do the best I can.''

Former top-10 plater Jimmy Arias, now working for TennisChannel, needs to see proof.

"He's got the game, he's got power, he's got all the shots,'' Arias said. "Obviously, it's mental. He just doesn't seem to have the motivation. I remember when he came on the tour, I thought this guy is a top-10 player. He hasn't even been close, but there could be great things for his future.''

Gulbis is coming off close losses to Berdych and No. 7 Juan Martin del Potro in Marseilles and Rotterdam.

"My goal is to really win something big,'' Gulbis said. "If not this year, next, if I'm doing things the right way like I have the last half a year … it's going to pay off eventually. It's going to come.''

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/pal...,4291743.story
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #65
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I would like to see how MTFers would react if after a tough match they played giving all of their best, someone came and told them : "anyway you can't play tennis"

Andreď Medvedev was very funny in interviews, Gulbis is not.
don't matter, there are certainly some players in the top 100 who are luckily to be there by winning Challengers or getting fluke runs at 250 weak draws.
Gulbis is just saying this for attention and indeed it is amusing.
there is a large difference between 'effort' and 'ability'.
players ranked 300 might put tons of fight to battle in a futures but that doesn't magically make them great at playing tennis (in comparison to the top guys).

Gulbis is entertaining in my mind for sure
it's irrelevant if he's correct in his comments, they are very unpolished and unusual which makes him interesting

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #66
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

Gulbis is correct here. Looking at no one in particular(Raonic).
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #67
country flag Mateya
Mateja Atptourova

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
By the age of 24 Tomic will already have a Slam in his bag, while Lolbis is struglling to qualify for 250 events.

NID and I'll have 3 children with Andreas Seppi.

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour
Nothing in life is NID.
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #68
country flag janko05

janko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
Gulbis is entertaining in my mind for sure
it's irrelevant if he's correct in his comments, they are very unpolished and unusual which makes him interesting
yeah, like we didn't see much of these lately
janko05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #69
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post

NID and I'll have 3 children with Andreas Seppi.
Who do you think will win wimbledon in 3 years time? Fed will be retired, Muzza will decline sooner the Fed (around 28 y.o.) and Nole was even lucky to win Wimbledon in his peak, let alone when he will be near his 30's. There is no potencial grass player like Bernie in the future, and he will reach his peak until there. So yes, he will win (at least) 1 Wimbledon in the next 4 years!

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Sauletekis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #70
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
Honesty can be unpleasant at times, but it's not about degrading someone else's hard work, passion and achievement. This is not coming from a place of honesty; it comes from a place of entitlement, and pissy-bitch envy. The people who are in the top 100 are there because they earned their spot, pure and simple. He thinks he ought to be there because he has talent and flair and can (when he feels like it) look like someone who belongs -- but doesn't always want to put in the hard yards.
my thoughts too

not even janowicz could produce this sore loser crap
i think he meant the same as in summer, when he suddenly played some atp quallies and was saying "who are all these guys in the main draw, where did they come from"
ofc he doesnt know the new names from the top, since he is too busy losing to all the przysieznys of the challenger circuit

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #71
country flag ProdigyEng
Banned!

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
my thoughts too

not even janowicz could produce this sore loser crap
i think he meant the same as in summer, when he suddenly played some atp quallies and was saying "who are all these guys in the main draw, where did they come from"
ofc he doesnt know the new names from the top, since he is too busy losing to all the przysieznys of the challenger circuit
Janowicz is god. Future cygs winner.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #72
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

he's right

some players stay in the top 100 by over-performing at challenger level and lack the necessary skill/weapons to win actual ATP matches

gulbis at least has the weapons and skill, if not the mentality and consistency
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #73
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
I think he is more talented and has more ability than a number of players in the top 100.
yes

but on the other hand, i can give at least 10 names who are not top 100 and are more talented than gulbis

ofc he's too in love with himself to be aware of it

Old 02-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #74
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

funny whoever mentioned Troicki- Gulbis has a slam QF, TMS SF, 2 titles > 1 title and wins over Djokovic, Federer and Del Potro. Gulbis even now has a career that owns Troicki's
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #75
country flag Nathaliia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan856 View Post
This is the sun-sentinel article I dug up. The bolded part is what scoobs is referring to, completely agree.

OT: interesting info about malisse and his future in the article too.

At Delray ITC, Gulbis hopes new attitude helps him reach potential

Many tennis observers believed that when Ernests Gulbis won his first ATP title at the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships in 2010 it would springboard him to stardom.

Instead, the enigmatic son of Latvian millionaire businessman Ainars Gulbis reverted to his underachieving ways and plummeted from a career-high 21 in February 2011 to No. 109. So he needed to win his third qualifiying match on Monday just to get into the 32-player draw at the ITC this year.

Gulbis, 24, who has flashed top-10 potential since turning pro at 16 but has never cracked the top 20, admitted he preferred partying over practicing, and actually didn't really like tennis.

However, a very thin 6-foot-3 Gulbis, who hired renowned coach Gunther Bresnik last June, said he has finally found the motivation to get in shape and fulfill his potential.

"I was really getting pissed to see who's in the top 100,'' Gulbis said after squeaking out a three-set victory over Denys Molchanov. "There are some guys who I don't know who they are. Some guys, I'm sorry, with respect — they can't play tennis.

"I don't know how they got into the top 100. It's tough, but I think I'm much better than them and I just want to prove to myself by the rankings, also. It's a motivation.''

At 19, Gulbis reached the quarterfinals of the French Open. Four months after winning the ITC in 2010, he shocked then world No. 1 Roger Federer en route to the semifinals of the Rome Masters 1000.

In 2011, he captured his second title in Los Angeles, and last summer he fired 30 aces to stun No. 7 Tomas Berdych at Wimbledon before losing to No. 136 Jerzy Janowicz. However, he hasn't gotten out of the second round in his last 17 Grand Slams.

His career bar graph appears to be drunk.

"This is the first year I really want to do this,'' Gulbis said. "I'm starting to enjoy tennis much more. Before I didn't like it, honestly. I had a couple of good wins and enjoyed it. Then I went on the wrong path and was doing wrong stuff for my game.

"Now, I want to play maybe five more years and do the best I can.''

Former top-10 plater Jimmy Arias, now working for TennisChannel, needs to see proof.

"He's got the game, he's got power, he's got all the shots,'' Arias said. "Obviously, it's mental. He just doesn't seem to have the motivation. I remember when he came on the tour, I thought this guy is a top-10 player. He hasn't even been close, but there could be great things for his future.''

Gulbis is coming off close losses to Berdych and No. 7 Juan Martin del Potro in Marseilles and Rotterdam.

"My goal is to really win something big,'' Gulbis said. "If not this year, next, if I'm doing things the right way like I have the last half a year … it's going to pay off eventually. It's going to come.''

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/pal...,4291743.story
he said it after barely beating denys molchanov

now i think he's just trolling.