Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW - Page 21 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #301
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Yeah, Novak is forcing him to hit 25% first serves. This was a one time freak occurence for a guy who usually serves around 70, even against Novak.

But it's obvious he wins more on his first serve, when his serve % drops -> do the math

Well, it kind of took on a life of it's own and one thing led to another. Had to look a few pages back to see where this started.

It started with discussing confidence and losses here. I just mentioned how his confidence back then was shaky and how that showed with him dropping off despite being in control until 6-4 2-2.
Indian Wells was his first loss against Nole in 2011. How was his confident already shaken? I do agree that later on, his confidence played a role in the way he faced Nole, but not in IW.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #302
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

if only nadal had sampras's serve...
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #303
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Indian Wells was his first loss against Nole in 2011. How was his confident already shaken? I do agree that later on, his confidence played a role in the way he faced Nole, but not in IW.
He was under a lot of pressure there to show he was still the best.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #304
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

What point is GSMNadal actually trying to make? Does anyone know?
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #305
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, Novak is forcing him to hit 25% first serves. This was a one time freak occurence for a guy who usually serves around 70, even against Novak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
What point is GSMNadal actually trying to make? Does anyone know?
He is trying hard to become Start da Game 2.0... so far so good
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”

Last edited by Time Violation : 03-03-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #306
country flag zcess81

zcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

But it's obvious he wins more on his first serve, when his serve % drops -> do the math

Well, it kind of took on a life of it's own and one thing led to another. Had to look a few pages back to see where this started.

It started with discussing confidence and losses here. I just mentioned how his confidence back then was shaky and how that showed with him dropping off despite being in control until 6-4 2-2.

Um...well, yeah, he actually did. That is the whole point of tennis. Get inside your opponent's head, make him doubt himself, make him go for the lines. Novak being the best returner in the game puts extraordinary pressure on his opponents. They know that simply rolling the ball in isn't good enough, so they try to go for more, and make mistakes, double fault etc. That is what doubt does to you. You start serving well, balls come back with interest, close to the lines, and you say to yourself, "Jesus, what do I have to do to win a point against this guy...I need to serve harder, go for the lines"...That is when 1st serve percentage starts going down, and the more it goes down, the more you start to panic. That is what happened to Nadal and so many other players against Djokovic. He gives you nothing. He makes you doubt yourself, your own game.

David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas

AJDE NOLE!
zcess81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #307
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He was under a lot of pressure there to show he was still the best.
What? So you think he has the best "clutch gene" on tour, but he can't handle the pressure of being #1 but not having won the previous GS? What do you mean? When Nole arrived in IW he had a 13 match streak what did Rafa had to prove? By that time everyone already new Nole was the best Hard Court player of the two but Rafa was the best player at the time.

If you're saying that Rafa, being #1, was under pressure when facing Nole in IW because Nole had won 2 straight tournaments before, then you're practically saying he is a mental midget.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #308
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why GSMnadal is trying to make a big deal about Nadal serving low. Nadal can serve at 80% and Novak can still beat him. *cough* Wimbledon *cough*
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #309
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yes, I do think loss of confidence had something to do with it, but that is often the case in a match. You have to give Nole the credit for imposing himself and his game on Nadal. That was what caused the shaky confidence. And then I maintain that Rafa was worn down and that also led to his poor stats. We have often seen Rafa do this to his opponents. That day Nole did it to him. Rafa got beaten and rather badly beaten. That's sport. That's competition. Sometimes it's easier for the players to accept than it is for the fans.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #310
country flag zcess81

zcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Yes, I do think loss of confidence had something to do with it, but that is often the case in a match. You have to give Nole the credit for imposing himself and his game on Nadal. That was what caused the shaky confidence. And then I maintain that Rafa was worn down and that also led to his poor stats. We have often seen Rafa do this to his opponents. That day Nole did it to him. Rafa got beaten and rather badly beaten. That's sport. That's competition. Sometimes it's easier for the players to accept than it is for the fans.
Excellent point. What makes these guys such great champions is that they are not afraid to admit to themselves that the opponent was simply better on the day. Maybe they don't necessarily say that to the press, but they accept it themselves. They have to, otherwise they'd have A LOT of bad months ahead of them. This way, they just accept it, promise to themselves that they'll try even harder the next time, and they move on. That's a big part of what makes a champion.

David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas

AJDE NOLE!
zcess81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #311
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

GSMNadal starts peaking just as ACC is cancelled. Coincidence? I think not!
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #312
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
GSMNadal starts peaking just as ACC is cancelled. Coincidence? I think not!
Peaking?! He looked over the cliffs edge and took a huge jump judging by the quality of his posts.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #313
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Peaking?! He looked over the cliffs edge and took a huge jump judging by the quality of his posts.
Peaking as in peaking for the (sadly cancelled) ACC
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #314
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

If Rafa manages to make that seemingly improved BH a consistent part of his game, I feel his chances against Djokovic would rise quite a bit, on any surface. The inadequacy of his BH, especially in going down the line, was quite an important part in his 2011 losses.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #315
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
What? So you think he has the best "clutch gene" on tour, but he can't handle the pressure of being #1 but not having won the previous GS? What do you mean? When Nole arrived in IW he had a 13 match streak what did Rafa had to prove? By that time everyone already new Nole was the best Hard Court player of the two but Rafa was the best player at the time.

If you're saying that Rafa, being #1, was under pressure when facing Nole in IW because Nole had won 2 straight tournaments before, then you're practically saying he is a mental midget.
Look, I'll only answer you since you're the only one coming up with decent points and actually addressing the situation rather than the others who only throw in smileys and insults.

First of all, you can be the best clutch player, and still be affected by nerves. They're all human, like one performance like this instantly nullifies his clutchness. All players have had weaker moments, Nadal has overall had the fewest of the players on tour and a lot of strong ones. We know how often he doubts himself, but usually that doesn't translate onto court with him. At IW, it did. That doesn't make him a mental midget of course.

Remember, Nadal was in tears at the Australian Open, failing to complete the Rafa slam, losing to Ferrer due to injury. In my point of view (which is supported by later interviews) he felt like that slam would've been his if it wasn't for that. That was the first (of many) devastating blow(s) in 2011. He then returned to tour at IW having to prove something. There were already claims of Novak being 'the real #1' and I think he fixated too much on that, got tight in set 2 and the rest is history.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote