Nadal's Early Years - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
country flag jjc225

jjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nadal's Early Years

Nadal turned pro in 2001. It seems like many of the players who go on to become stars on the ATP tour climb through the rankings relatively quickly in the early years, while average players toil in the lower echelon of the rankings for quite a long time. It would be interesting to do a comparative study of how top-ranked players such as Federer, Djokovic, and Murray did in their early years and their path out of the lower rankings. Here is a brief summary of Nadal's first five years.

2001 - attained no ranking and played only two tournaments

2002 - climbed from 762 to 238. (How did Nadal get out of the 1000's rankings? I can see no record of how he did this.) Went 42-6 in challengers. His losses were to Portas (rank 96), Balcells (123), Fornell-Mestres (441), Peppas (421), el Aarej (516), and Rochus (70). It is a pretty good accomplishment in second year on tour to make it into the 200s.

2003 - started making some money on the tour, $221,563. Went 14-11 in ATP events. Improved rank from 203 to 47.

2004 - Earned $347,212. Went 30-17 in ATP events. Finished year ranked 51.

2005 - this was obviously the breakthrough year for Nadal. Went 79-10 on the ATP tour, earned $3,794,327, won 11 titles including the French Open, attaining number 2 world ranking.

So it looks like the best shoot through the rankings pretty quickly and become elite players within about five years. This is likely a typical trajectory and timetable for the elite players in the game.

Last edited by jjc225 : 03-05-2013 at 04:01 PM.
jjc225 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal's Early Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjc225 View Post
Nadal turned pro in 2001. It seems like many of the players who go on to become stars on the ATP tour climb through the rankings relatively quickly in the early years, while average players toil in the lower echelon of the rankings for quite a long time. It would be interesting to do a comparative study of how top-ranked players such as Federer, Djokovic, and Murray did in their early years and their path out of the lower rankings. Here is a brief summary of Nadal's first five years.

2001 - attained no ranking and played only two tournaments

2002 - climbed from 762 to 238. (How did Nadal get out of the 1000's rankings? I can see no record of how he did this.) Went 42-6 in challengers. His losses were to Portas (rank 96), Balcells (123), Fornell-Mestres (441), Peppas (421), el Aarej (516), and Rochus (70). It is a pretty good accomplishment in second year on tour to make it into the 200s.

2003 - started making some money on the tour, $221,563. Went 14-11 in ATP events. Improved rank from 203 to 47.

2004 - Earned $347,212. Went 30-17 in ATP events. Finished year ranked 51.

2005 - this was obviously the breakthrough year for Nadal. Went 79-10 on the ATP tour, earned $3,794,327, won 11 titles including the French Open.

So it looks like the best shoot through the rankings pretty quickly and become elite players within about five years. This is likely a typical trajectory and timetable for the elite players in the game.
Based on what you've presented, it looks like Nadal does that. You haven't presented any other cases from which to make such a generalisation.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
country flag jjc225

jjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice Winner View Post
Based on what you've presented, it looks like Nadal does that. You haven't presented any other cases from which to make such a generalisation.
I am in the process of analyzing other players and their trajectories into the top rankings. I imagine it is pretty close to what Nadal accomplished.
jjc225 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is no record on the ATP page, what is certain is that he was credited as playing something the week beginning 5/11-01 and got 6 points for it, elevating him to 826th spot.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
There is no record on the ATP page, what is certain is that he was credited as playing something the week beginning 5/11-01 and got 6 points for it, elevating him to 826th spot.
Spain Satellite #5
Smoke944 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
country flag TennisPhan1

TennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond repute

so was he better in 2005-2008 or 2010-2012?
TennisPhan1 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am in the process of analyzing other players and their trajectories into the top rankings. I imagine it is pretty close to what Nadal accomplished.
I think age begun on the pro circuit has to be factored in. It seems to my memory that roddick came thru futures and challengers more quickly. But he was older when he started. Also isner had a different trajectory because of college play
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what it means by "turned pro" on the ATP website. For example, it says Djokovic turned pro in 2003, where he was ranked around 800. I wouldn't exactly call that "pro". Yes, he may be training full time, but so were a lot of youngsters who hadn't even cracked the top 1000.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
country flag asmazif

asmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
Star Trek III: the wrathfael of Khan
there we go
Edberg / Rafter / Henman / Stich / Safin / Gambill / Grosjean / Malisse / Gonzo / Llodra / Santoro / Agassi / Schalken / Nováček / Rosewall / Ashe / H-T Lee / Kuerten / Boetsch / Pavel / Sundström / Björkman / Scud / El Aynaoui / Arazi / Calleri / Sampras / Nalbandian / Mosquito / Srichaphan / Pioline
asmazif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
I don't know what it means by "turned pro" on the ATP website. For example, it says Djokovic turned pro in 2003, where he was ranked around 800. I wouldn't exactly call that "pro". Yes, he may be training full time, but so were a lot of youngsters who hadn't even cracked the top 1000.
You turn pro when you get your first ATP points.

Djokovic's rise through the rankings was also meteoric.

2003 #767
2004 #186
2005 #78
2006 #16
2007 #3
2008 #3
2009 #3
2010 #3
2011-present #1

Here is Fed's.

1997 #718
1998 #302
1999 #64
2000 #29
2001 #13
2002 #6
2003 #2
2004-2007 #1
2008 #2
2009 #1
2010 #2
2011 #3
2012 #2

Here is Murray's. Funnily enough he had more ranking points at the beginning of his ATP career than Novak but he needed more time to breakthrough. After that they were pretty even.

2003 #546
2004 #514
2005 #65
2006 #17
2007 #11
2008-2011 #4
2012 #3

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nş1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that most of the great players took a few years to settle in at the top. Pete won his first Slam in 1990 but he didn't win another one for 3 years, like Novak.
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
country flag asmazif

asmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you turn pro when you accept your first paycheck.
Edberg / Rafter / Henman / Stich / Safin / Gambill / Grosjean / Malisse / Gonzo / Llodra / Santoro / Agassi / Schalken / Nováček / Rosewall / Ashe / H-T Lee / Kuerten / Boetsch / Pavel / Sundström / Björkman / Scud / El Aynaoui / Arazi / Calleri / Sampras / Nalbandian / Mosquito / Srichaphan / Pioline
asmazif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
It seems that most of the great players took a few years to settle in at the top. Pete won his first Slam in 1990 but he didn't win another one for 3 years, like Novak.
Those two are so far the only ones to do that, of those winning a lot of slams.

For Connors, 2nd slam was same year as 1st
For Borg, 2nd was the year after the 1st. Same for Wilander, Lendl, Becker, McEnroe, Federer, Nadal
For Agassi, 2nd was 2 years after the 1st. Same for Edberg.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmazif View Post
I believe you turn pro when you accept your first paycheck.
True, and nole girl is wrong(nothing new)