Justin Gimelstob - Seniors tour, Tennis Channel, Tonight Show, etc. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-09-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Justin Gimelstob - Seniors tour, Tennis Channel, Tonight Show, etc.

Well, at the risk of being the only person who will post in this thread, I've decided to start one for Justin Gimelstob. Here's an article that Charlie Bricker did for Florida Sun-Sentinel back in December...

Gimelstob's picks: Jersey, Federer and Manning
Charles Bricker
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/t...-sports-tennis

December 12, 2004

WEST PALM BEACH · Justin Gimelstob, who is among the most entertaining personalities in professional tennis, was stumped.

"Most obnoxious guy on the tour ... most obnoxious guy on the tour," he pondered the question. "What are others guys saying," he wanted to know. "They'd probably say me."

Actually, I didn't ask anyone else. I wanted only Gimelstob's view on a variety of the most pressing sports questions of the day. Why? Because, as Gimelstob admits, without a scintilla of ego, "I have a lot of opinions."

Gimelstob, 27, and back from injury, was at the Ibis Golf and Country Club on Saturday with a pretty fair lineup of American players -- including Mardy Fish, Venus Williams, Todd Martin and Jennifer Capriati -- helping raise money for the Tim and Tom Gullikson Foundation, which assists families of persons diagnosed with brain tumors.

As usual he was in a great mood, and after his commentary stint on the Tennis Channel earlier this year, he was ready to tackle anything, beginning with this weekend's big issue: Peyton Manning or Dan Marino.

"Manning, because he's going to break Marino's record [for most touchdowns in a season] and because Marino never won a Super Bowl, and Manning still has a good chance to do that."

Suppose you were standing at the umpire's chair, having an argument over a line call and someone threw a beer that hit you in the face. "I would ... uh ... probably go after the guy," said Gimelstob, hesitating just a bit. "But the problem is that [Ron] Artest didn't hit the right guy."

Was Artest's rest-of-the-season suspension the right penalty? "Yeah, because they had to make an example of him. It's a tough call, but you can't hit people. What he did was wrong, and he's an unstable guy."

If Roger Federer finally hires a coach, who should it be? "Paul Annacone [Pete Sampras' former coach and now coaching Tim Henman]. I mean, someone who would not try to change things and would not want to put his ego into it. That kind of guy. Like Pat McEnroe."

New Jersey, where you were born, or Delray Beach, where you've been living for five years? "New Jersey, because of the four seasons. You can't compete with that. I live down here for my career."

Who would you rather beat, Federer or Andy Roddick? "Federer, because he might go down as the best of all time. But I have great respect for both."

What young player is going to make the biggest impact in 2005? "Tomas Berdych, the guy from the Czech Republic, although Rafael Nadal would be the popular choice."

Who's in the Super Bowl? "Eagles and Patriots."

And the winner? "New England."

How many more years are you going to play? "Hard to say. I only played five months this year because of injury and won four singles challenger tournaments. If I wasn't so encouraged by that, I'd consider retirement."

Best sportsman in tennis? "Todd Martin. But now that he's retired, James Blake."

Second serves

Jim Courier, also playing at Ibis on Saturday and back from his domination of the Europe-based seniors tour, says anything you read in British papers about Sampras coming back to tennis is way overblown. "I can see Pete doing a one-day exhibition, but he's not going to Europe for a four-day event," Courier said. ...

Venus Williams announced a charity tennis event to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation on March 19 at The Oaks at Boca Raton club. She'll play an exhibition match with former WTA pro Brenda Schultz and also conduct a clinic. The one-day event begins with men's and women's pro-am doubles and finishes with a dinner-dance at 7:30 p.m. For more information, call 561-482-4113. ...

The Nasdaq-100 Open, to be held March 23 to April 3 with qualifying on March 21-22, put out its annual call for volunteers to work as ball retrievers during matches or help with tickets, transportation or security. Nasdaq is seeking 950 volunteers and 400 ball persons. The tournament gives tickets to workers. To get involved, call 305-444-0533 or e-mail volunteers@nasdaq-100open.com

Charles Bricker's tennis column appears Sundays. He can be reached at cbricker@sun-sentinel.com

Copyright © 2005, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8

Last edited by Fee : 12-14-2007 at 08:19 PM. Reason: to change the thread title
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Justin Gimelstob

and just one more...

Handsome hunk on a roll at last
K V VASUDEVAN

http://www.newstodaynet.com/tata/0601TA1.HTM

Hardly a few spectators were witness to his first round demolition of Jan-Michael Gambill in the Chennai Open. Ranked 203, Gimelstob's ranking paled in comparison to the healthy 75 of Gambill. In a swift demolition act, Gimelstob harried Gambill to no end, shuffling him all over the place.

When the match ended, one could see the palpable relief of Gambill's coach. Such was the domination of the one, coached by former ATP pro Mike de Palmer.

Running into the fourth seed Jonas Bjorkman on the centre court yesterday was a special feeling for the 27-year-old, whose best phase was six summers ago, when he won five doubles title, partnering four different players.

The initial feeling was to give it the best shot, said Gimelstob. Taking the first set without conceding a point was more than a wishful thinking.

'Our record stood at 1-1 before this. Had a few things on my mind which could implement it successfully. Everything fell in place - the serves, volleys and the low drops.'

With two important scalps, the handsome hunk suddenly seemed to be a strong contender for the title. 'These are still early days. Each match is different from the other. Have not looked really that far. So far so good.'

Gimelstob is actively involved in the children's charity event, to benefit children with cancer and blood diseases in his native New Jersey. With such a mindset, it hardly came as a surprise when he announced 2000 dollars as his contribution to the tsunami victims.

Here was a winner in every possible way. True, to the saying, the world indeed loves a winner. It was all evident in the media briefing when questions rained from all over the place.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:46 PM   #3
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, when he was first starting out, and before I really knew much about tennis at all - probably several years ago, I really really liked Justin... maybe it was b/c he was so obviously Jewish and I was a teenager and thought he was cute, but yeah I liked him a lot. I know some people think he's a jerk or whatever, but I guess I haven't really heard the stories or seen it for myself to judge. I think it's great he's back from injury and I'll be looking forward to following his progress and stuff

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:12 AM   #4
country flag Fee

He was a jerk and he has been a jerk and he's one of those people who is verrrry intense on court. Heck, I didn't even like Justin for the first year after I met him, but he actually apologized to me for being so rude the year before and we've been slowly becoming friends since then. Things really picked up when he and Graydon became doubles partners and starting winning so much. It's weird, I haven't seen him since Indian Wells, but we keep in touch and he's just been really nice about it. I'll see him (and all 'my boys') in San Jose in 28 days (but who's counting...) and I can hardly wait.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:33 AM   #5
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

well I guess I just don't know much about the jerky stuff he's done so I have no adverse feelings towards him I'm sure you'll have a GREAT time in San Jose!

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 01-16-2005, 12:31 AM   #6
country flag Fee

Another article...

Biofile: The Justin Gimelstob Interview

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennis...&bannerregion=

By Scoop Malinowski
01/10/2005

Justin Gimelstob has experienced the tennis equivalent of morning sickness — before most matches he plays.

Pre-match anticipation can create feelings of nausea in the 10-year veteran, but the gregarious Gimelstob still has a strong stomach for competition. The 144th-ranked Gimelstob got off to a solid start to the 2005 season by beating Jan-Michael Gambill and Jonas Bjorkman to reach the Chennai quarterfinals last week where he succumbed to Tomas Zib.

Recovering from foot surgery and other injuries slowed Gimelstob last season, limiting his activity on the ATP Tour. But he scored success on the Challenger circuit, winning four Challenger championships: the Forest Hills grass courts and hard-court titles in Beijing, Nashville and Champaign.

A popular presence in tennis, Gimelstob is known for his sense of humor and his commitment to charitable causes. He conducts the annual Justin Gimelstob Children's Fund charity to benefit children with cancer and blood diseases in his native New Jersey. An accomplished doubles player, Gimelstob owns 10 career doubles titles and partnered Venus Williams to win the 1998 Australian Open and Roland Garros mixed doubles championships.

When he's not on the court, Gimelstob can be seen covering the sport. The 27-year-old Gimelstob co-hosts The Tennis Channel's Open Access show with Murphy Jensen this month.

In this interview with Tennis Week.com contributor Scoop Malinowski, Gimelstob reveals how his first tournament expire ended in a default, the funniest players he's met on tour and why one of his U.S. Open matches once sent his friends on a walking tour

Height: 6-foot-5. Weight:190 pounds.

Born On: January 26th, 1977 in Livingston, New Jersey

Childhood Heroes: "I used to love watching McEnroe, Sampras, Agassi."

Hobbies/Interests: "Basketball, golf, movies."

Nicknames: "The Kid, Gimel, Big Show, Gimby — from Nick Bollettieri."

Early Tennis Memory: "Defaulted out of the first tennis tournament I played, I was eight-years-old. Played at Branch Brook Park in Newark, New Jersey. I went to the finals, played my older brother (Josh) and got defaulted by the umpire for behavior problems — threw one down in the third set (smiles)."

Pre-Match Feeling: "Usually, I feel like I'm gonna throw up."

Favorite Movies: "Rocky, Without Limits, Phenomenon, Shawshank Redemption, Godfather II."

Musical Tastes: "I like a little bit of everything, I like U2, REM, Dave Matthews Band."

Favorite TV Shows: "Friends, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sopranos."

Funny Tennis Memory: "One year when I lost at the U.S. Open, my friends were so depressed they walked back to New York City (smiles). I thought that was funny."

First Job: "Never had a job."

First Car: "Toyota Supra, silver, twin turbo."

Greatest Sports Moment: "For me, winning the first set (6-2) against Sampras, Centre Court at Wimbledon (third round in 2000)."

Most Painful Moment: "Breaking my ankle in Tokyo (in 2000), practicing with Karol Kucera. Just a baseline rally, rolled my ankle."

Closest Tennis Friends: "Todd Martin, Jim Courier, Jon Stark."

Funniest Players: "Probably me, I'd say. Best sense of humor — me (smiles). And Petr Korda and Andrei Medvedev were funny."

Toughest Competitors: "Lleyton Hewitt. He gets the most out of his game. He's outgunned physically, but he's still one of the best."

Favorite Vacation Spot: "Never go on a vacation. Home. Just being home."

People Qualities Most Admired: "Honesty. Responsibility. Respect. Hard work. Determination. And I respect people who are good at overcoming adversity."

Scoop Malinowski is a Tennisweek.com contributor. Please check out his site www.thebiofile.com. To read more of Scoop's Biofiles on this site, please type "Biofile" in the search box located in the upper left corner of the screen.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:29 AM   #7
country flag Éowyn

Éowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond repute

i like the justin he always seems cool to me! i try to avoid what people say about people and judge for myself and i've never seen the jerkiness an di'veobviously never had fees luck to meet all these guys but yeah justin has always seemed pretty cool to me and good player will be interesting to see how does this year.
~~Feli~Daniele~Arnaud~Fernando~Seb~Andy~~
~Taylor~Mike & Bob~Marat~Julien~
and to my girls
~~Sanja~Daniela~Ana~Dinara~~

You're kind of like the blonde chick in the Munsters
http://www.menstennisforums.com/imag...ine=1151095902

Proud to be a Sparette
Éowyn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:43 AM   #8
country flag Deboogle!.

I'd say Justin has a decent chance of beating Gaudio - it will be interesting to see what happens, that's for sure.

Old 01-16-2005, 03:50 AM   #9
country flag Éowyn

Éowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond repute

would make for a very interesting 2nd round if he did
~~Feli~Daniele~Arnaud~Fernando~Seb~Andy~~
~Taylor~Mike & Bob~Marat~Julien~
and to my girls
~~Sanja~Daniela~Ana~Dinara~~

You're kind of like the blonde chick in the Munsters
http://www.menstennisforums.com/imag...ine=1151095902

Proud to be a Sparette
Éowyn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:19 AM   #10
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw this Fee, I was surprised he didn't have one already--you're not the only person in here
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #11
country flag Fee

And I'm glad the you, Deb, and Eowyn have come by. (Love that pic of Jim in your avatar!). Justin seems pretty fired up for his 1R match. He's on about the same time as JMG so I am going to go a bit cross eyed watching 2 boards at once. I'm nervous for all of my guys already....
Old 01-16-2005, 08:14 PM   #12
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's a good pic isn't it.. theres a topless one too
Justin has never before played Gaudio, but It'll be an interesting one, that's for sure. Good luck JG!
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Jim Thomas Official Site

Old 01-16-2005, 09:05 PM   #13
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I like this picture of Justin--it's not me by the way! nothing like me but he looks cool

Jim Thomas Official Site

Old 01-16-2005, 09:08 PM   #14
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

And finally, big hair !

Jim Thomas Official Site

Old 01-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #15
country flag Fee

That's Robyn, from Blakefanz at the 2003 Swingtime event (and its a giant pic that you should have posted as an attachment for us poor dial up people ).