"Roddick moves up rankings despite not playing" - Idiotic article! - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #46
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Roddick moves up rankings despite not playing" - Idiotic article!

Amazing, this Roddick. He's capable of so much even in retirement. I mean, forget that he's moved up the rankings, just look at how easily he exposes heya's insanity even now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
Fedfan and Roddick fan care more about real life's problems, but they're in this thread? Too bad no one cares what fake amusement they feel.

Poor Roddick. At least he's not getting paid for doing nothing this time.

Come back, Andeeee... Djoker's waitin' for you.
Too good, this guy.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #47
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
Why are you being like this, are you kidding me right now.
What do you mean? You wanted Roddick stricken on account of presently non-extistent rules. I wondered how you would introduce a rule to allow for striking him without waiting for his written request. I notice you have yet to launch a realistic alternative. If you find that is too hard, perhaps you'll understand better why the rules are as they are today.
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #48
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
I'm surprised you make a big deal of it, in the majority of the sports in the world it would be extremely bizarre and random for a retired player to gain ranking status after leaving the sport....

it's interesting for sure. granted if you're a tennis fan it's just common sense, but in many sports if you retire you are entirely taken off the ranking and/or it is impossible for you to move up unless you are actively preforming in games

it is fascinating that this can occur in tennis
I would bet that it's possible in every single sport that keep official results based rankings as long as the player hasn't gotten removed from the official rankings list via proper channels.

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #49
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
I'm surprised you make a big deal of it, in the majority of the sports in the world it would be extremely bizarre and random for a retired player to gain ranking status after leaving the sport....

it's interesting for sure. granted if you're a tennis fan it's just common sense, but in many sports if you retire you are entirely taken off the ranking and/or it is impossible for you to move up unless you are actively preforming in games

it is fascinating that this can occur in tennis
From memory, I've seen chess players and golfers gaing ranking position after retirement. I've even seen golfers gain ranking points after retirement, because their system is based on average, and as the number of events played the last two years drops you might on occasion get a higher average. This, of course, never happens in tennis. A retired player will - at best - keep his current points, and advance only in weeks where those just above him lose some of theirs and none below makes significant gains.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #50
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
I would bet that it's possible in every single sport that keep official results based rankings as long as the player hasn't gotten removed from the official rankings list via proper channels.
There are probably different contract requirements in team sports. You announce your retirement via press conference... great, good for you. If you don't show up to play the next game you are going to get fined by your team or the league... so you better file your retirement paperwork ASAP.

ATP just has a lax approach towards this particular bit of paperwork because it doesn't affect anything like it would if a basketball player retired. As has been stated, players still make the entry lists that they would've made if his name wasn't there, etc.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #51
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Roddick out of the rankings next Monday. Problem solved.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #52
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Roddick out of the rankings next Monday. Problem solved.
For now, but to be sure, there will be more retirements in the future.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #53
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
What do you mean? You wanted Roddick stricken on account of presently non-extistent rules. I wondered how you would introduce a rule to allow for striking him without waiting for his written request. I notice you have yet to launch a realistic alternative. If you find that is too hard, perhaps you'll understand better why the rules are as they are today.
You are one who clearly does not listen to logic or reason in this case, so it's over.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Kohlschreiber, Robredo, Benneteau, Simon, Janowicz, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #54
country flag Coolio_Jack

Coolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You are one who clearly does not listen to logic or reason in this case, so it's over.
Nope, the guy made a lot more sense then you did.

Roddick hasnt officialy retired yet, he's doing that next week.
Coolio_Jack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #55
country flag niff

niff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It makes about 0.0000001% difference that he's still in the rankings, who cares?
niff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #56
country flag octatennis

octatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond repute

People thinking that andy's ranking is taking tournaments possitions off other players, if he doesnt sign up he wont appear in entry list.
octatennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #57
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

Heya has to be girl who Roddick skipped during autographs,
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #58
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Who would want to be near him?
Someone who tolerates stupid deranged boys?
A gold digger? Oh, wait. Never mind.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #59
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wut
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #60
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

ATP should enforce a rule here. If a player retires from a Commitment position, he should be forced to notify the ATP and should be taken out of the rankings immediately. But ATP should also make this public so that everyone knows it before the next Monday's rankings are out.

Otherwise no, it's impossible to keep track of all retirements, even if a player was famous. For instance, Ferrero is still in the rankings, somewhere below #200. He is not entering any tournament and not occupying any mandatory place (for he has not announced injury, so he does not have a protected ranking), so he can stay there until naturally dropping out.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote