I feel like Nadal's comeback could be similar in pace to Del Potro's - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #31
country flag VamosRafaNadal

VamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I feel like Nadal's comeback could be similar in pace to Del Potro's

Nadal will need time to reach his overall level but I don't think that he will find the troubles that found Del Potro.
FITD: #15 (Best: #9) | Runner-up: Cincinnati 2013
PAW: #11 (Best: #11) | Titles: Indian Wells 2013
Suicide Tennis: #1 (Best: #1) | Titles: Cincinnati 2013
Tennis Tipping - Singles: #20 (Best: #16) | Final: US OPEN 2013, Arad CH 2013, Tampere CH 2013, Poitiers Fut 2014
Tennis Tipping - Doubles: #166 (Best: #166) | Final: Dallas CH 2014 (w/orangehat), Binghamton CH 2013 (w/randy72391)
Rafael Nadal: The King of Clay. The Warrior. The Mental Giant.
Grigor Dimitrov - Richard Gasquet - Stanislas Wawrinka - Mikhail Youzhny - Tommy Haas - Ernests Gulbis - Dominic Thiem - Malek Jaziri - Ricardas Berankis - Marton Fucsovics - James McGee - Borna Coric - Juan Lizariturry
VamosRafaNadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #32
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I feel like Nadal's comeback could be similar in pace to Del Potro's

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Skywalker View Post
Nadal is just playing very cautious now, he will be running as usual at Monte Carlo. If you watched his matches he barely moves.
If he goes from this to his usual form in less than two months, that will be pretty big achievement in itself. Btw, which tournaments does he play between now and MC - I didn't quite understand, is he going to play anything on hard or not?
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #33
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

bad comparison OP, as others have mentioned, beyond the age difference at time of injury, Juan got a huge surgery done on his wrists which is very hard to come back from, you have so much fear about how much you can swing, etc.

can't say if Nadal will be back at 100% at any point or not, too early to call, BUT for certain if he's going to it will be in the next few months. he is not the kind of guy who it would logically take that long to get back to his best form

what I'm saying is Nadal will be at whatever his current possible best is in the next few months, and if it's not close to what used to be, then he'll probably hang up the rackets

definitely feel like he'll sort himself out though, these clay courts aren't the best in South America, he doesn't have the same magic feeling/connection like he does the European clay, and it does certainly take a few tournaments for even someone as adaptable as Nadal to get his game back

IMO he's playing well for such a long absence, but for some reason the 'fans' on this site expect a player to be at magic best player in the world form immediately after such a long break

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #34
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
It hurts my eyes when people call Nadal just a 'grinder'. The guy has some beastly shots in his arsenal which people on here don't give him enough credit for. He makes things happen, matches are decided on his terms, especially on the big points. So don't count on him fading away so quickly just because he's a step slower, you'll be in for a big surprise.

His insane retrieving abilities are what elevate him from being a top 4 player and slam contender to being the best and most dominant player in the world, so he needs them back if he wants to get to where he used to be.
You were doing so well then you spoilt it all with that...
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #35
country flag A_Skywalker

A_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
If he goes from this to his usual form in less than two months, that will be pretty big achievement in itself. Btw, which tournaments does he play between now and MC - I didn't quite understand, is he going to play anything on hard or not?
In this form there is no sense to plat IW and Miami. He should just rest and train and come back full force at MC

Tennis Tipping and PAW Results
A_Skywalker is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #36
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In this form there is no sense to plat IW and Miami. He should just rest and train and come back full force at MC
I fully agree with this, I hope he knows that
Old 02-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #37
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
You were doing so well then you spoilt it all with that...
You don't think Nadal can be the best and dominant player in the world? If he plays to his potential he's definitely capable of it. He actually was on his way in 2012 until injury stopped him at Wimbledon.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 8 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #38
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Against Berlocq and Souza? Without injury layoff they wouldn't win 6 games combined
Again, on a proper claycourt I'd agree with you. But did you watch any play this week? Nadal wouldn't have been comfortable on this surface no matter what shape he was in. Maybe in USO 2010 form with his killer serve, he would be unbreakable. Because this tournament shouldn't be treated as a clay court tournament I feel, look at Nalbandian reaching the semis for instance. It's fast, rallies rarely last longer than 4 shots and add to that that it's almost impossible to slide on (saw a lot of feet getting stuck when players tried this). And that sliding is a big part of what makes Rafa's movement on clay so special.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #39
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Again, on a proper claycourt I'd agree with you. But did you watch any play this week?
Not sure what you're trying to say. I think Nadal normally shouldn't struggle against Berlocqs and Souzas on any court on tour. Courts in MC last year were pretty bad, and he didn't lose a set against far better players.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #40

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yeah, let's just skip hard court tournaments the whole season....

unfortunately tennis is played on all surfaces, it would be dumb for him to be a baby and just skip every hard court tournament that he felt he was in 'bad form' for. in fact that's against ATP, policy, he would need to be fined for skipping that many masters without injury and/or valid excuse

Rafael Nadal
Old 02-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #41

Quote:
Not sure what you're trying to say. I think Nadal normally shouldn't struggle against Berlocqs and Souzas on any court on tour. Courts in MC last year were pretty bad, and he didn't lose a set against far better players.
as GMSNadal mentioned, the courts this week are atrocious. he already has enough doubts about how much weight and pressure he can put on the knees, but if he can't slide properly (which he can't this week in the mud) then obviously he is going to play much much worse

his opponents know he's still nursing the confidence with the legs and have nothing to lose. obviously the poor courts certainly are hurting Nadal from playing his best this week

a Berlocq can technically beat any player on tour, particularly if that player is coming back from an injury and is playing in conditions that he would not prefer. that is tennis, it's not like there are any hacks in the top 100 per say, they all have some DEGREE of talents

again in MC last year, Nadal wasn't coming back from a 7/8 month lay away... try to use your brain

Rafael Nadal
Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #42
country flag GSMnadal

Quote:
I was wondering if you saw any play so you knew how this surface looked and played like. Monte Carlo surface was elite compared to this, and it's not just that it's bad, it's that it's really fast as well. Monte Carlo still played like a great clay court should. (and of course very slide-able)

Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #43
country flag Singularity

Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You don't think Nadal can be the best and dominant player in the world? If he plays to his potential he's definitely capable of it. He actually was on his way in 2012 until injury stopped him at Wimbledon.
On clay and grass perhaps, but not on hardcourts.
Singularity is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #44
country flag GSMnadal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
On clay and grass perhaps, but not on hardcourts.
You don't need to be the best on all surfaces to be the best and most dominant player in the world

If he can control clay and grass and be decent on hardcourt he would already be what I claimed.

Novak isn't even the best on 2 surfaces and we regard him as the best player at the moment.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #45
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Emerson View Post
Nadal's prime ended in 2010, mid 20s. That is the age grinders's best is over.
Exactly.

Quote:
It hurts my eyes when people call Nadal just a 'grinder'. The guy has some beastly shots in his arsenal which people on here don't give him enough credit for. He makes things happen, matches are decided on his terms, especially on the big points. So don't count on him fading away so quickly just because he's a step slower, you'll be in for a big surprise.

His insane retrieving abilities are what elevate him from being a top 4 player and slam contender to being the best and most dominant player in the world, so he needs them back if he wants to get to where he used to be.
Close your eyes, then.

Nadal isn't anything but a grinder. And a very limited one. Can't even hit a proper forehand.
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote